Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Price of barbers

• 01-07-2020 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

I got the thatch sorted yesterday at a particular barbers.

€31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭smurf492

Fat Tony's Barna is 25

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Tilikum17 wrote: »

€31 which is ridiculous. Just wondering what other barbers around the city are charging.

Where? €31 is nuts, it was €11 for me pre Covid. Turks Barbers is €23 for wash and cut as per their booking app.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭Breaston Plants

Reggie Healy barbers only charging €16.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Major Fader yesterday was 14 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

31 quid? Where the hell was this? Did you get a 3 course meal with your haircut?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Out in Ballinasloe my barbers was €7.50 for a dry cut.
    Gone up to €10

Fat Tony’s across from the hospital

Well, I paid €5 when booking online. Then €26 when I was leaving. I was told by a lad in work that’s what they were charging. Unless they have the booking fee back? Which I just checked, they haven’t. I was also wearing my own mask

Beard trim included in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

DaCor wrote: »
    Beard trim included in that?

****e lads, I just looking at the card. It was €21 he charged me plus the other €5

That would make it €26 same as the Barna shop.

€26 is still scandalous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

31?!! Even 25 is mental.
    Regular Major Fader customer here, I wouldn't go anywhere else, always a great job and reasonably priced.

unhappys10 wrote: »
    31?!! Even 25 is mental.
    Regular Major Fader customer here, I wouldn't go anywhere else, always a great job and reasonably priced.

Sorry it’s was actually €26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

Place I go to in gort was €9 now €15 price gouging is alive and well !

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I assume they're trying to recoup months of earning losses.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

****e lads, I just looking at the card. It was €21 he charged me plus the other €5

That would make it €26 same as the Barna shop.

€26 is still scandalous

They are only booking in 2 an hour i think? They were probably doing 3-4 per hour pre COVID

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭skinny90

Certain barbers have been charging feck loads before covid. I won’t name and shame simply because there’re quite good and attentive, I liked the service and became a loyal customer. There are places you can go for less. That’s the power of choice

• Registered Users Posts: 23,071 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Where was the €26?

I got a booking for Friday and wanna make sure I've enough on me hahah

pjohnson wrote: »
    Where was the €26?

I got a booking for Friday and wanna make sure I've enough on me hahah

Fat Tony’s across from the hospital

biko wrote: »
    I assume they're trying to recoup months of earning losses.

Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

€26 for me and my son in my local barbers Roches in Baldoyle they put it up by €2 no biggie

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Sure that’s not our fault. €26 is ridiculous. I had my own mask as well. What exactly are they charging me more for?

Trying to recoup months of losses? That’s called tough ****, sure every single business out there could be doing it. I’d imagine they’ll lose quite a few customers over this. Two lads I work with have cancelled their appointments to go into another lad that’s charging €15
    The extra disinfectant needed to wipe down the seats between clients isn't free, nor are the face shields on the barbers, the rates haven't gone down but the amount of clients they can handle in an hour has. It's not all revolving around you, you know. The beauty of competition is that if you don't like it, you can go somewhere else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

18.50 for me in Kildare and I gave €25

Cut normally takes 20-25 min

I'd hate to pay €10 as they'd have to do 5/6 cuts an hour to pay costs and make a living and you'd just be butchered.

It's simply uneconomical at some of the prices some places charge.

If you do a bog standard machine all over 2 or 3 or whatever but a lot of us get more complex hair cuts than that. I can only find specific barbers able to get the cut I want never mind doing it at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bazzy wrote: »
    Place I go to in gort was €9 now €15 price gouging is alive and well !

€9 was probably a bit on the cheap side to start with. You’d want to be doing a lot of haircuts non stop to make a living out of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

I'd have no problem with a few euro increase for obvious reasons but €26 is far too high for a standard cut.

All well and good to argue they have to make their money back post Covid, or they have additional costs, but where do you draw a line there. Pints in pub being €8? Cinema tickets being €18? Meal out costing €25?

No issue with a few € on top of the normal price but €26 is taking the piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭Bredabe

I have a lot of family in the biz and they have heard a lot of this over the years, ppl move onto cheaper cuts and then breeze back into them after a few months complaining that their hair isn't 'right', one even said his head must have changed.

Cheap cuts not necessarily good cuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Homelander

€15 isn't a "cheaper cut" though. It is a fairly standard price pre-Covid.

Thats the joys of being a consumer with plenty of choice. Learn from it, vote with your own two feet where you want to go for your next cut

Homelander wrote: »
    I'd have no problem with a few euro increase for obvious reasons but €26 is far too high for a standard cut.

All well and good to argue they have to make their money back post Covid, or they have additional costs, but where do you draw a line there. Pints in pub being €8? Cinema tickets being €18? Meal out costing €25?

No issue with a few € on top of the normal price but €26 is taking the piss.

As I said earlier there is a well known barber who was charging 25 pre covid. For many people that sounds crazy but this particular barber has a loyal customer base, gives attention to detail when chopping and provides a great service. I dont always go there but when i do I know I am leaving with a great cut.

If its not for you its not for you, there is little gained giving out about it online

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Jurgen Klopp

Not Galway, but a friend got a haircut in Limerick yesterday, normally €12, was charged €22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭testtech05

I see both sides of the argument obviously their costs are higher etc now than they would be before and less people can be seen when it is appointment based and also of course a better cut is worth a few extra quid aswell and appointment based means less waiting for the customer also worth a couple of quid I think personally.

But as others have said you have to draw the line somewhere. One of the barbers mentioned on the thread (I would use them myself but not all the time) if you get a hair cut and beard trim now it will cost you 42e, I think that is a little steep even with all things considered personally!

Advertisement