Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Potential bad dealership practice?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I disagree. It really doesn't sound like there's anything wrong here, just that you want something to be wrong.

No visual sign obviously, but any good scan tool can read the original mileage from the engine ECU amd see if there is a discrepancy between that and the display.

Hi Toyota, not sure why someone would "want something to be wrong " ?

If he got the vehicle checked by a garage with the proper scan tool and it turned out there was an unmistakable discrepancy would that be grounds for the dealer taking back the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Hi Toyota, not sure why someone would "want something to be wrong " ?

If he got the vehicle checked by a garage with the proper scan tool and it turned out there was an unmistakable discrepancy would that be grounds for the dealer taking back the vehicle?

Yes.
    I change in the law a couple of years ago made a motor business directly responsible if they sold a clocked vehicle. Before that they could muddy the waters and say they bought it in that way and were none the wiser. We therefore had multiple dodgy traders passing stock around and clocking along the way. This is no longer an excuse. If its clocked and they sold it you, its their problem.
    Next you will find is that they have put 60k miles on the sales docket and say they disclosed the discrepancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,415 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

just checked motorcheck there again

Date Reading (MLs) Reading (KMs) Source
    26/06/2020 37,842 miles 60,900 km
    04/06/2020 65,011 miles 104,625 km INMR

does INMR mean anything ?

the dealer principal told my brother that this discrepancy was down to someone inputting the odometer details wrong , sounds a little too convenient

this used dealership are meant to have a good reputation
    See what the service history says.

INMR is where garages do work on vehicles and input the mileage, that them gets sent to a central database. It’s entirely possible and probable that they put in mikes instead of km.

As said, the service history would clear this up very quickly.

colm_mcm wrote: »
    See what the service history says.

INMR is where garages do work on vehicles and input the mileage, that them gets sent to a central database. It’s entirely possible and probable that they put in mikes instead of km.

As said, the service history would clear this up very quickly.

The input mistake explanation is a little too convenient and more importantly perhaps

104000 km is 64000 miles ,the odometer reads only above 60000 km so it's difficult to see someone mistakenly inputting 64000 miles ?

The only service stamp in the manual is from February of this year and reads 59800 km

That reading pre dates the MotorCheck reading of 104000 km from early June and the CVRT reading of 60200 km from June 10th

On the point of servicing, I've always been over cautious about servicing, never let it go more than a year or 15000 km ,if it's the case that this landcruiser saw it's first service at 59000 km ,would it be guaranteed to have caused some damage?

I've driven the vehicle and apart from being in mint condition, I saw no obvious faults, suppose I'm wondering if a late first service will inevitably present problems down the line?

Jeep was originally sold by Toyota dealer in carlow despite the Dublin reg ,i suppose that dealer would be prohibited from passing on the original purchaser's identity under GDPR ?

Were it the case that the dealer is unreliable, would be good to talk to original owner

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

There is an easy way to check but how to get the info i do not know.
    Jeeps are tested each year so it be recorded when the vehicle tested.
    If there is a problem i am sure this info can be accessed.
    This info is available online in UK and it should be here but its not.
    I think if you mention this in nice email to garage you may find the answer.
    No garage wants to be involved in this type of practice???
    On re-reading your last message, is the service stamp from the place it was bought?
    This would seriously piss me off.

Change of owner, under normal circumstances it is up to the seller to send off the document with the new owner.
    However there may be different rules when selling to the trade...

There is an easy way to check but how to get the info i do not know.
    Jeeps are tested each year so it be recorded when the vehicle tested.
    If there is a problem i am sure this info can be accessed.
    This info is available online in UK and it should be here but its not.
    I think if you mention this in nice email to garage you may find the answer.
    No garage wants to be involved in this type of practice???
    On re-reading your last message, is the service stamp from the place it was bought?
    This would seriously piss me off.

Change of owner, under normal circumstances it is up to the seller to send off the document with the new owner.
    However there may be different rules when selling to the trade...

the only service stamp in the service manual is from the used car dealer and it reads 59800 from februrary

why would that piss you off ?

it would be worse had the dealer who sold it to my brother didnt service it at all

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes.
    I change in the law a couple of years ago made a motor business directly responsible if they sold a clocked vehicle. Before that they could muddy the waters and say they bought it in that way and were none the wiser. We therefore had multiple dodgy traders passing stock around and clocking along the way. This is no longer an excuse. If its clocked and they sold it you, its their problem.
    Next you will find is that they have put 60k miles on the sales docket and say they disclosed the discrepancy.

If the odometer is in km i be surprised if garage can change to miles on sale invoice, that would be immediately suspicious and more especially from a garage...

mickdw wrote: »
    Yes.

i just remembered that the dealer principal told my brother yesterday that he would get on to motorcheck to resolve the discrepancy issue , you would wonder why he wanted to do that when he had the thing sold ? , my brother disclosed to the manager that he had discovered the discrepancy on motorcheck , he sort of had to in order for his protest to have any validity

the only service stamp in the service manual is from the used car dealer and it reads 59800 from februrary

why would that piss you off ?

it would be worse had the dealer who sold it to my brother didnt service it at all

So your brother is happy all is ok.
    You gave the impression from your post the odometer was altered.
    In was not talking about the service i was talking about odometer change...

• Advertisement

So your brother is happy all is ok.
    You gave the impression from your post the odometer was altered.
    In was not talking about the service i was talking about odometer change...

you referred to the service stamp in your post , it was a simple mistake - misinterpretation on my part

i get you now , that the dealer stamped the vehicle as having 59000 km on the day it was serviced in february but an odometer reading of 104000 km showed up in early june on motorcheck , would indeed piss someone off

you referred to the service stamp in your post , it was a simple mistake - misinterpretation on my part

i get you now , that the dealer stamped the vehicle as having 59000 km on the day it was serviced in february but an odometer reading of 104000 km showed up in early june on motorcheck , would indeed piss someone off

Your post # 36 is where i got my information.
    It may have done 40,000 in a few months...

yes ,like I said, I misinterpreted you earlier

yes ,like I said, I misinterpreted you earlier

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 154 ✭✭iomusicdublin

I would call Toyota and ask for thie service history, it seems funny that the garage only have one service on record when the jeep should have had at least 3 services.

Is it an import

Also SIMI is the motor dealers own organisation. It is a pile of hit.

I would call Toyota and ask for thie service history, it seems funny that the garage only have one service on record when the jeep should have had at least 3 services.

Is it an import

Also SIMI is the motor dealers own organisation. It is a pile of hit.

brother asked was it a UK import but was told no by the salesman

motorcheck says its 100% irish but like i said earlier , it was originally bought at the toyota dealer in carlow and has the stamp of SA moore , seems odd it would then have a D reg ? , add to that , if someone from dublin bought a vehicle in carlow , its probable they might not get it serviced there ? , if there are no service stamps apart from two days after it arrived with the used car dealer , its quite possible , that was the first time it was ever serviced

he should have been more careful , thats for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Philb76

motorcheck says its 100% irish but like i said earlier , it was originally bought at the toyota dealer in carlow and has the stamp of SA moore , seems odd it would then have a D reg ? , add to that , if someone from dublin bought a vehicle in carlow , its probable they might not get it serviced there ? , if there are no service stamps apart from two days after it arrived with the used car dealer , its quite possible , that was the first time it was ever serviced

he should have been more careful , thats for sure

It's very common for Dublin people to buy cars down the country for a better deal and still request a Dublin reg it's only if you import then reg will be county you are resident

Does your brother have the logbook yet

• Registered Users Posts: 51,166 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, I think you are now looking for conspiracies where there are none.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,227 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Philb76 wrote: »
    It's very common for Dublin people to buy cars down the country for a better deal and still request a Dublin reg it's only if you import then reg will be county you are resident

The reg is based on the address of the first owner. If someone from Malin Head goes to west Cork to buy a car, it gets a DL reg unless they fiddle or **** with the paperwork.

• Advertisement

No but it wouldn't have arrived yet anyway

No but it wouldn't have arrived yet anyway

bazz26 wrote: »
    OP, I think you are now looking for conspiracies where there are none.

well in fairness, it's not like clocked vehicles are exclusively within the realms of conspiracy theories

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Your brother owns the jeep now, get him to ring Toyota to find out its service history, as someone mentioned, commercials are cvrt'd every year so he should contact them to get the cert, it will have the mileage from the previous years.

Never knew that, seeing as Dublin has far more dealer's, I'd have thought it was a more competitive location?

More pertinent point is that if someone from Dublin purchased new in carlow, they might not be inclined to travel back each year for servicing?

Carlow Toyota probably not allowed under data protection to divulge who originally owned the vehicle ?

ml100 wrote: »
    Your brother owns the jeep now, get him to ring Toyota to find out its service history, as someone mentioned, commercials are cvrt'd every year so he should contact them to get the cert, it will have the mileage from the previous years.

He already has the cert showing cvrt km from 2020 ,2019 and 2018 ,even has a disc for 2019 along with obviously having the recent one

What good is ringing Toyota if vehicle was serviced by a small garage outfit or even by owner themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Never knew that, seeing as Dublin has far more dealer's, I'd have thought it was a more competitive location?

More pertinent point is that if someone from Dublin purchased new in carlow, they might not be inclined to travel back each year for servicing?

Carlow Toyota probably not allowed under data protection to divulge who originally owned the vehicle ?
    A lot of the garages in carlow and kildare, register their own demos with a D reg, I assume its easier to sell them on

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Why would they have to bring it back to the dealer they purchased it from when going to any main dealer would keep the warranty intact.
    Not a hope will they give you the original owners name nor would ya need it, just get him to ring and ask.
    Lots of people are willing to travel for good deals.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The reg is based on the address of the first owner. If someone from Malin Head goes to west Cork to buy a car, it gets a DL reg unless they fiddle or **** with the paperwork.

Yeah I mean brand new the op said he thinks the car was bought new in carlow but had a Dublin reg

• Advertisement

My mother in law bought her Hyundai in kildare and had no problem getting a Dublin reg

Advertisement