Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The National Party

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭Shoog

A pattern of burning out proposed direct provision centres means it guaranteed to be right wing scumbags. If you think your been clever suggesting otherwise - your not.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,505 ✭✭✭✭nullzero

We have a teeny tiny miniscule far right presence in this country.

We also have a massive problem with anti social behaviour, huge numbers of violent offenders walking the streets of our country unimpeded doing whatever they want to whoever they feel like.

And we're supposed to just take your word for it that the far right ar doing everything some people feel like arbitrarily assigning to them?

We have no evidence either way as you alluded to but realistically you can't have a tiny far right and at the same time hold them responsible for anything you feel might be a result of their opinions.

The far right in Ireland are highly motivated and quite well organized through private forums. It's the same small band of individuals moving around the country, infiltrating local groups and staging flash protests to stir division. The morph from one front group to another - but always the same faces.

It doesn't take many to create quite a stir, but fortunately they are gaining very little traction across the population despite their heroic efforts.

They are pathetic but that doesn't make them any less dangerous to the people and property they target.

Just to clarify, do you have an estimate of how many people in Ireland are fascist / far-right / Nazi?

A rough estimation will suffice.

My estimation would be somewhat less than a thousand activists.

• Advertisement

I would guess the number is even fewer than that.

Compare that to the sheer volume of thugs and scumbags causing destruction daily throughout people's lives, not only on the streets of Dublin, but throughout the country.

In other words, whilst the scumbags discussed on this thread are just that, they are a tiny slice of the much bigger scumbag pie that exists in this country.

I wouldn't inflate their significance in the overall scheme of things.

I think they are highly insignificant. Still with stunts like the recent attacks on cork libraries they are a real threat to the people they target.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Whether or not a grouping is "significant" in its numbers, domestic terrorism and racist violence should not be tolerated and stamped out with prejudice. Trying to obfuscate about whether given scumbags are acting approved National Party actions, is kinda beyond the point here. These are individuals and parties who circle each other and find kinship; the authorities should respond with the same severity either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,979 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Saying Justin Barrett holds conservative views is an understatement akin to saying Ted Bundy was a sexist.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Esho

The problem arises when the tiny right wing minority show the antisocial elements that there is more money to be made from politics than crime.

• Advertisement

The problem is that the way violence is rationalised in this country currently is that if the victim of a crime is not Irish the motivation must be rooted in the perpetrators being associated somehow with the far right.

Why that is a problem should be self evident; a lack of observable evidence to support that idea.

On this thread the lack of any real support for what is the nations de facto largest far right organisation and their own inability to even get their own house in order undermines the notion that the are capable of organising the type of campaign of highly structured and coordinated attacks across the length and breadth of the entire country that have been attributed to them.

We can't have it both ways, the far right in Ireland can't at once be an incompetent rabble of infighting buffoons and at the same time a highly effective guerilla force wreaking havoc on the entire country.

I find it troubling that people who I otherwise find to be insightful and intelligent employing this type of dissonant logic seemingly to simply satisfy their own larger world view.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

So it's all just terribly coincidental that there have been fires in Ballybrack, Sandwith Street, Sherrard Street, Moville, Kill, Rooskey, Buncrana , Ballinamore and Fire threats in Wicklow and Athy and calls for people to be burned out in Finglas. 😅

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

It's interesting that you see fit to attach a laughing emoji to a post about serious crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,285 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What's laughable are the pathetic attempts on this thread to excuse and normalise what the NP are doing.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,956 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

"I like to do my own research"

I'm laughing at you and your attempts to minimise and obfuscate and pretend there is no threats from far right in this country.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

By asking for evidence?

Why have you got such an aversion to factual evidence?

I don't doubt that far right idiots have committed some crimes, but to attribute such an amount of crimes to such a small poorly organised group just seems bizarre.

Post edited by nullzero on

It is you who keep claiming they are poorly organised, I harbour no such illusions. They are highly organised.

I don't even think they are stupid.

All the evidence anyone observing them (and that's a lot of people) can see would contradict your opinion.

Can you provide any evidence that the far right are highly organised in this country?

Attempt, singular.

One person has taken that position.

Like so much to do with the subject of the National Party, facts are jettisoned in favour of sensationalism at a whim.

• Advertisement

They operate coordinated campaigns some in the open and some in secret. They actively infiltrate citizens groups to turn them into radicals.

Your feigned ignorance of this is sweet.

That's just your constant shtick on this site; deflect, deny, downplay, nothing to see here, no far right worth talking about, not organised. And that's laughable as all of the incidences I mentioned above plus many others cannot be simply dismissed as coincidence with no evidence.

Terry Pratchet

None of those examples proved what you were saying.

There was no actual evidence.

Less of the ad hominem stuff as well please.

If you provide actual evidence I'll stand corrected.

So providing evidence shouldn't present an issue.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,010 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

They’re not intelligent, I’d describe them as cunning.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

this was posted to twitter today. the lad likes a bit of mass murder. i checked and the tweet from barrett is real, but i'm not posting that here.

Justin Barrett, being as offensive as one can be between mouthfuls of his own excrement.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,130 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Musk has certainly turned the place into a sewer.

• Advertisement

Advertisement