Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZXT Streaming PC

Options
  • 20-06-2020 9:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭

My son wants to move across from PS4 to the pre-built NZXT Streaming PC...
    NZXT don't ship to Ireland, we have contacted Komplett.ie who are a NZXT retailer but they have said that they cannot get the pre-built NZXT Streaming PC for us but can build the exact spec - we are waiting for a quote for this.
    Can we purchase directly from NZXT using Address Pal US or would we run into problems? Would the warranty still be valid? Is there anywhere in Ireland we could purchase this PC.

What other problems could we encounter .ie power lead not being suitable to Ireland etc

I have submitted the question to NZXT through their website.

He is planning on doing computer science from September (new subject on the curriculum but no one really knows much about it - this year was to be the 1st year for the test schools to sit the exam but covid-19 put a stop to that) for the Leaving Cert so will also be using this machine for school projects, study etc..

Advise greatly appreciated both about the spec of the machine & the delivery etc as I know nothing about gaming pc's

He currently streams from the PS4...

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

get him to buy all the parts and built it himself, I'd be mortified in a computer science course with a prebuilt pc

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Don't buy a PC from the US.
    Between shipping, VAT & warranty issues it's 100% not worth it.

Which model was he looking at? The likes of Cyberpower can build it in the same chassis if wanted.
    Or he could learn to self-build - it's easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭Homelander

Importing it from the US is madness as it would cost a fortune and warranty issues would be a nightmare. You do realise it's just a standard off the shelf PC using a NZXT case? There are no magic parts in it.

You can build your own to the exact same spec with the same case by ordering from EU/UK sites. I'm sure there are sites that will build for you also without charging too much extra.

If it doesn't have to be that NZXT case, you can buy pre-builts from any one of dozens of European sites that will have more or less identical specs for the same price in a different case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

get him to buy all the parts and built it himself, I'd be mortified in a computer science course with a prebuilt pc

I'd say most people who plan to do computer science in secondary school will only have a basic laptop.

I'd say most people who plan to do computer science in secondary school will only have a basic laptop.

oh secondary school I thought he was going into 3rd level

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭nhg

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Don't buy a PC from the US.
    Between shipping, VAT & warranty issues it's 100% not worth it.

Which model was he looking at? The likes of Cyberpower can build it in the same chassis if wanted.
    Or he could learn to self-build - it's easy!

It's was the NZXT Streaming PC (that's what it's advertised as on the NZXT site)

Would only love if I could find someone who would like to build it with him as he's only 16 going into 5th yr & has zero experience.

Really appreciate all the advice....

a4565b2614238c28902b273d06c85ba6.png

The parts come to around €1,300 if you were to buy them and found someone who could help with the build.
    Someone who is more up to date on parts than I am may be able to recommend parts that are better value. For example, I doubt he needs an 8 core CPU the cheaper 6 core would be more than adequate.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Gotta respect Nzxt's marketing team, take a normal PC, stick an adjective on it, whip up a frenzy of people who don't have the experience to know just how badly they're being ripped off by the marketing of it all :D

Any high spec machine will do what your son's looking for without being trapped by overpriced marketing stuff. You'll see a lot of people say it on this forum and it might sound belligerent, but building it yourselves will do wonders for your understanding of how it works and once you have the right parts, it's really simple to assemble. You learn a thousand times more by figuring out why something isn't working right than you ever will from a class. Everything has a warranty and it's really difficult to make mistakes when assembling things as the parts can only fit together in a specific way and there are hundreds of reliable YouTube channels that will give very specific instructions about how to put it together and what potential pitfalls you might have.

Shiminay wrote: »
    Gotta respect Nzxt's marketing team, take a normal PC, stick an adjective on it, whip up a frenzy of people who don't have the experience to know just how badly they're being ripped off by the marketing of it all :D

If you could somehow get it for the retail price of $1,499.00 and didn't have to pay any tax it wouldn't be too bad.
    Of course you can put a really nice gaming PC together for under €1k, it just won't be endorsed by Ninja or DrLupo.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Customised CCL NebulaX Gaming PC

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
    Graphics GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    Storage 1000GB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    PSU Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700W 80+ Gold PSU
    Case GameMax Kamikaze Pro Gaming Case - Black

CCL Code: GAME-NEBX 0500 0204 0600 0000 0300 0000 0210
    £1,299.99
    or £1,399.99 with Windows 10

Can easily save money too.
    Drop CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 (-£145) and you're laughing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

I know the prospect of building your own pc is quite daunting but it really is like putting lego together in many ways, the motherboard comes with a very informative and easy to read manual/user guide on where things need to go as well. Combine that with a little research and youtube video tutorials, should help a lot. Might even be a great bonding opportunity for the two of you, putting it together, going through the steps and not to mention a great confidence booster for your son looking to study computer science.

I can also understand the allure of certain brands, when I was that age I saved up and spent a pretty crazy sum of money on a top of the range alienware laptop, it was pretty much the equivalent of buying a pair of Nike runners or Air Jordans. I wanted what I perceived as "the best", maybe his intentions are the same on that end and you don't want to disappoint him? As I later learned though, it was just all surface glitter.

If you do intend to go through with buying the brand PC, I think address pal is probably your best bet, though they have size/weight restrictions along with a hefty charge. As others pointed out, you'd also probably be liable for other import duties on electronic goods. Address pal from the states takes absolutely forever to get delivered as well, they go through multiple different couriers for some reason across the states before it gets to their depot in New Jersey. I just don't think its worth the hassle and the massive cost in comparison to buying parts more local via UK or EU vendors.

Below is the reply I got from NZXT to the query I submitted on their website

Hi there,

Unfortunately, if an order is made through a port forwarding address it will be canceled.

Once the PC leaves the U.S. and Canada the PC's warranty will be voided.

apologies for the inconvenience.
    BLD by NZXT
    Visit us at let'sbld.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

Yeah, forget that idea and build one. You can get an NZXT case and if you really want the look one of those NZXT Kraken liquid coolers.

As others have said it really is a straightforward project. He'll take much more pride in it as a thing he built and you will save a packet. €1000 would build a very powerful PC nowadays.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Customised CCL NebulaX Gaming PC

CPU AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz
    RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz
    Motherboard MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
    Graphics GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
    Storage 1000GB Adata XPG SX8200 Pro NVMe SSD
    PSU Antec NeoECO Gold ZEN 700W 80+ Gold PSU

CCL Code: GAME-NEBX 0500 0204 0600 0000 0300 0000 0210
    £1,299.99
    or £1,399.99 with Windows 10

Can easily save money too.
    Drop CPU to Ryzen 5 3600 (-£145) and you're laughing.

He's very impressed with this spec, has added Windows 10, liquid cooling & 1,300mbps Built-in Wi-Fi - he's wondering what FPS he would get on Fortnite as he wants it for gaming & streaming?

Does he need to add Bluetooth

If he added CD/DVD reader/writer would he lose a fan or where would it placed - he doesn't want it - i I asked him to add it as CD's come with some school books....

Is he being silly with what's he adding?

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

If he wants wifi/bluetooth he could just go for the WiFi version of the same motherboard, so you wouldn't need a seperate wifi card if you do, usually costs a bit extra though.

If he mainly plays fortnite then that build will be laughably overpowered for it. He'll be more than fine on that end.

What kind of monitor is he playing on? If it's a standard 1080P 60hz monitor, the build is radical overkill.

People get this idea that they need to run Fortnite at 250FPS but that only makes a difference if you have a 144hz monitor, a standard monitor won't make any difference.

You might want to consider modifying the build to include a 144hz monitor if he's interested in chasing high framerates.

EG the build with a RTX2060 6GB instead of a RTX2070 super, would free up enough money to buy a 1080P 144hz monitor, so you could enjoy the high framerate.

His current monitor is a 1080 75Hz 1ms freesink monitor which will be upgraded down the line...

He's wondering where the 240mm cooler master aio will go in the case, he doesn't know if he will loose some case fans if he gets the GameMax Kamikaze Pro case

run an ethernet cable as well instead of messing with wifi

run an ethernet cable as well instead of messing with wifi

He has one of those at the minute but I’m trying to future proof a bit as well as he might only have WiFi access if he moves it to another house which is a very high possibility etc

This is where we are at the moment...

https://www.cclonline.com/templates/basket/05020204050004000300000202100001/

Promo Customised CCL NebulaX Gaming PC PC
    • AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHz CPU
    • 16GB DDR4 3200MHz Memory
    • MSI B450M MORTAR MAX
    • 8GB GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER Graphics
    • 512GB Solid State Drive
    • 2TB Hard Drive
    • 1,300Mbps Built-in Wi-Fi
    • Liquid Cooling
    • Microsoft Windows 10 Home
    • 3 Year Collect & Return Warranty

He wants to know will it mean he will lose a stock case fan with the 240mm cooler master lite aio?

Will need Bluetooth to connect to the printer as its in a different room, does this have bluetooth..

I hope that this combination will give him a few years before he has to start upgrading it.

Thank you all so much for your help, all advice/suggestions welcome... TIA

• Advertisement

Would an ATX case and motherboard be better for a first time build?
    There would be little difference in the price.

Would an ATX case and motherboard be better for a first time build?
    There would be little difference in the price.

It's pre-built we are planning on buying - well I hope it's pre-built we're buying! I have someone local who will build it for us but he wants pre-built and down the line will upgrade it himself if needs be...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

As above, don't go with a MATX case. It'll chock the airflow from the GPU. Not all of them do but that one looks a bit meh.

I priced up the following build on Amazon:

Ryzen 7 3700X
    B450 Tomahawk Max
    16GB 3200 CL 16 Memory
    Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe SSD
    Phanteks Eclipse P400A case
    Uphere RGB fans (x6) + Controller (Very good value if it needs to be blinged out)
    Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC
    EVGA 600W PSU

Came to £1219.00
    (Edit sorry for got the Wifi and Bluetooth Card - call it £1250 all in.)

There are some definite changes I'd make to that build but I think it gives you a reference price you should be comparing to a prebuilt. The Similar spec I get with CCL is £1450 - the after care with CCL won't be as good as purchasing parts from Amazon IMHO. However a £200 premium for a prebuilt isn't anywhere nears as bad as I thought it would be.

Also forgot you get a liquid cooler with the CCL machine so even less of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

As above, don't go with a MATX case. It'll chock the airflow from the GPU. Not all of them do but that one looks a bit meh.

It's one of the best budget MATX cases on the market. Crazy features for the price and good airflow with it's 4 included fans. It's not exactly small either.

I think the case is fine, it's actually fairly big. Size isn't an issue, no idea how good or bad the fans are though but they're probably grand, Gamemax cases are generally on the right side of budget/price balance unlike say, CIT or whatever.

PS - the liquid cooler is unnecessary. The stock cooler for the 3700X is actually a fairly cool Wraith Prism which has fancy RGB lighting as well, so it would compliment the case well and save you €50 or whatever.

That is assuming CCL actually use the standard 3700X cooler, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Looks like this:

418FxiR9k-L._AC_SY200_.jpg

BloodBath wrote: »
    It's one of the best budget MATX cases on the market. Crazy features for the price and good airflow with it's 4 included fans. It's not exactly small either.

Just going on this from their own material - maybe it's just a bad graphic.

517696.jpg

Homelander wrote: »
    PS - the liquid cooler is unnecessary. The stock cooler for the 3700X is actually a fairly cool Wraith Prism which has fancy RGB lighting as well, so it would compliment the case well and save you €50 or whatever.

That is assuming CCL actually use the standard 3700X cooler, but I don't see why they wouldn't.

Looks like this:

418FxiR9k-L._AC_SY200_.jpg

Would second this - Can't speak to the 3700X but I have one on a 3600 and it does pretty well and looks good IMHO. It doesn't get too loud and has a quite mode if you prefer that over better temps.

CCL do offer the option for the stock cooler. I can't see why they would get anything other than the Wraith Prism RGB but I'd double check with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,340 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

I would just buy an external DVD-Rom if he needs to use CD/DVD's for school stuff

Advertisement