Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firestick general discussion thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,697 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

For those of you who managed to get the fubo trial set up, what did you do about the card and zip code? I can't get revolut to work

• Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭Trevord

Virgin Media (VM) Player install instructions

1. If you haven't got A VM Player account already then register an account on https://www.virginmediatelevision.ie/player/ (faster to do this bit on a laptop)

Then head to the Firestick

2. Install "Mouse Toogle" (see Post #1) if you don't already have it.
    If you don't know how Mouse Toggle works with your firestick remote then search for a video that explains that on youtube.

3. Verify that Mouse Toggle works (you might have to try a few versions)

4. Install "Set Orientation" (see Post #1) and set it to Enabled: Automatic(full)

5. Use Downloader App (see Post #1) to find the Virgin Media Player apk. (type Virgin Media Player apk in the Downloader search box) I found that version 4.0.2 of VM player seemed to work OK

6. Download and install the VM player apk

7. Open the VM player app

8. Use your remote to turn on Mouse Toggle controls to allow navigation in the VM player app.

9. Login (Enter the VM account details for the account you created in 1 above)

(after install you might get an error saying that it won't work without google playstore on the device - but it seems you can ignore that)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Easier to just use the website via silk than faffing around with mouse toggle etc.

For those of you who managed to get the fubo trial set up, what did you do about the card and zip code? I can't get revolut to work

I'm pretty sure I just created a account, didn't sign up for the trial. Then used the login info for NBC sport

batistuta9 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I just created a account, didn't sign up for the trial. Then used the login info for NBC sport
    Nice one, thanks!
    Got the app downloaded and registered, that went fine. I'm now getting "Unable to play that asset" when I try anything, I suspect that might be my SmartDNS not covering it though

• Advertisement

Nice one, thanks!
    Got the app downloaded and registered, that went fine. I'm now getting "Unable to play that asset" when I try anything, I suspect that might be my SmartDNS not covering it though

Try again, I think that shows up at times. You don't get access to some stuff on the app.

Try the Texas Cup Race it should play if you've signed in right with fubo.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Try again, I think that shows up at times. You don't get access to some stuff on the app.

Try the Texas Cup Race it should play if you've signed in right with fubo.
    Yeah, not working on my firestick but works fine on my phone. I use a different vpn on each so that would probably explain it alright. Thanks a lot for your help :)

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Lombardo123

So far so good with mine.

No issues with express VPN.
    Up and running with BBC iPlayer.
    Up and running with Rte player.

Tg4 not working but not a major issue.

Any other useful ones?

Going to have a go at virgin media as per instructions but browser just sounds simpler

Any other useful ones?

Going to have a go at virgin media as per instructions but browser just sounds simpler

Spoke to soon.. don't know what happened but couldn't open any apps from the front pages had to open from settings. Lost the recent display and the stick got quite buggy.

Ended up factory resetting and have to do is all again tomorrow!! Waste of an evening!!

Any other useful ones?

For some reason an increasing amount of TG4 content is accessible via the RTE Player. e.g. Hector's African travel show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

Spoke to soon.. don't know what happened but couldn't open any apps from the front pages had to open from settings. Lost the recent display and the stick got quite buggy.

Ended up factory resetting and have to do is all again tomorrow!! Waste of an evening!!
    Is it the 4K version?

Nigzcurran wrote: »
    Is it the 4K version?

No not 4k. I think it something I did rather than firestick. Going through it now and I seem to be back where I was last night before I did something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

No not 4k. I think it something I did rather than firestick. Going through it now and I seem to be back where I was last night before I did something.

Have you filled up the memory on it maybe? Don’t think there is much storage on the basic sticks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭scotchy

4K firestick down to €29.99 on Amazon now.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

And the Fire TV Stick Lite down to €19.99.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

My firestick is showing trailers on prime but when i try and play it says not connected to internet,, youtube works and some prime shows work .. Any Suggestions? Also is there anyone offering a jailbreak and loading service?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,334 ✭✭✭bladespin

11wingnut wrote: »
    My firestick is showing trailers on prime but when i try and play it says not connected to internet,, youtube works and some prime shows work .. Any Suggestions? Also is there anyone offering a jailbreak and loading service?

Firesticks aren't really locked, very easy to side other apps using downloader etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,830 ✭✭✭jeffk

People seem to forgot or not mention these only post to UK so add E4 on top for parcel wizard etc

Argos have non 4K for E31 and Lite for E25

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8024459/Trail/searchtext%3EFIRE+STICK.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 17,869 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I've asked this before but every time I turn on my Firestick it loads a big pink Marvelous Miss Mazel trailer across the top half of the screen and it's driving me mad, it's been there for months, is there anything I can do to shift it? I wouldn't mind another trailer or anything just not this big pink ad with her stupid face. I don't have the above posters problem, I can play any trailers no issues.

jeffk wrote: »
    People seem to forgot or not mention these only post to UK so add E4 on top for parcel wizard etc

Argos have non 4K for E31 and Lite for E25

https://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/8024459/Trail/searchtext%3EFIRE+STICK.htm

Feck. Argos have dropped the price too.

I bought th 4K last week for €48, its €30 now.

:mad:

https://www.argos.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10152&catalogId=15051&langId=111&productId=1824524

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

That's not a 4k stick. At least I don't think it is.

It's kind of confusing 3 different sticks

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    That's not a 4k stick. At least I don't think it is.

It's kind of confusing 3 different sticks

Sorry, your right. still it was €48 last week in Argos , its €30 now.

:(

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

Thargor wrote: »
    I've asked this before but every time I turn on my Firestick it loads a big pink Marvelous Miss Mazel trailer across the top half of the screen and it's driving me mad, it's been there for months, is there anything I can do to shift it? I wouldn't mind another trailer or anything just not this big pink ad with her stupid face. I don't have the above posters problem, I can play any trailers no issues.

I had a uninstalled app stuck on launcher and this worked, worth a try

Management applications
    Appstore
    Force close
    Clear data
    Clear cache

Yeah thats the non 4K

I have no need for the 4K as only small TV in herself room, but don't want to lose the volume control, so didn't go for lite one

jeffk wrote: »
    Yeah thats the non 4K

I have no need for the 4K as only small TV in herself room, but don't want to lose the volume control, so didn't go for lite one

You should be thinking of the 4k anyway, for the better processor rather than the picture quality.

Trevord wrote: »
    You should be thinking of the 4k anyway, for the better processor rather than the picture quality.

I have the non 4k in sitting room to watch football and odd film and never had issues

Say be used about 4 hours a week in herselfs

If was everyday then I'd go 4K alright

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

Hey,

Struggling with this set up.

Bought a Firestick Lite. Happy with the in bult app set up on the TV, have good IPTV on it, only want the firestick for iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4.

Got Express VPN. Set to UK.
    Tried it with my own Amazon account with an alternative location. no dice.

Reset the device, set up a new UK Amazon with UK location.

Still not able to run the UK shows on the various players. EVPN showing Connected in UK.

Is there a step by step guide available or any help anywhere?

Thanks everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,753 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Hey,

Struggling with this set up.

Bought a Firestick Lite. Happy with the in bult app set up on the TV, have good IPTV on it, only want the firestick for iPlayer, ITV and Channel 4.

Got Express VPN. Set to UK.
    Tried it with my own Amazon account with an alternative location. no dice.

Reset the device, set up a new UK Amazon with UK location.

Still not able to run the UK shows on the various players. EVPN showing Connected in UK.

Is there a step by step guide available or any help anywhere?

Thanks everyone.

does the same VPN work on your phone for the iPlayer?

I have iPlayer working on my Firestick using a DNS based VPN, it's working fine.

I don't think it matters where your Amazon account is based for non-Amazon apps, but it is useful to have a UK based Amazon account to be able to install BBC ITV etc directly from the Amazon appstore, as otherwise you're sideloading and the apps don't get updated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭atilladehun

loyatemu wrote: »
    does the same VPN work on your phone for the iPlayer?

I have iPlayer working on my Firestick using a DNS based VPN, it's working fine.

I don't think it matters where your Amazon account is based for non-Amazon apps, but it is useful to have a UK based Amazon account to be able to install BBC ITV etc directly from the Amazon appstore, as otherwise you're sideloading and the apps don't get updated.

Just checked there, not working on phone or laptop. Both saying VPN connected.

Is expressvpn a DNS based VPN? Happy to switch they have 30 money back.

I think I'll stick with the UK Amazon account if possible. I won't be the only user, want to keep it simple for others.

Thanks for your help!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

is there anyway to setup a Firestick without having to give Amazon nearly every detail about yourself :mad:

Advertisement