Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The Mega MK7 & MK8 Golf GTI/GTD/R thread - Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,422 ✭✭✭JoeA3

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Ah brilliant. How's the Tiguain looking?

It's a very impressive car. He traded a non-R-Line (Highline) for it and the R-Line spec makes a huge difference to the appearance. Really beefy and imposing looking... on 20" wheels!

Its absolutely stuffed with tech, tbh way more than he'll ever understand never mind ever use. I think you really really need to be up to speed with the latest tech and very comfortable with using the latest smart phones, etc, to not be a bit overwhelmed by all the tech in these new cars.

He hates the lane assist and unfortunately you have to turn it off on every restart, but its easy enough to do, there's a button on the indicator stalk for it. He couldn't find the button for resetting the trip meter (he's old school and likes to reset it on every fuel fill up) and sure enough VW have done away with that button :pac: You have to trawl through the menus on the radio just to reset the trip meter!

I drove it last night to see what the adaptive IQ Lights are like... really cool. It has the same haptic steering wheel buttons that every reviewer bitches about but I couldn't see what the fuss is about. Very easy to use.

I have to setup an app on his phone for him, the "We Connect" thing which is a bit gimmicky but does tell you where the car's parked, might be a handy feature if you "lose" it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Sounds brilliant in fairness.

Might be a bit of a step up in terms of technology to what some people are used to but Id say after a few weeks he'll be flying in it.

Did he go tdi or tsi?

Herself is now keeping an eye on the face lifted Polo, specifically the GTi, she's already got a 151 Polo GT, 150bhp and that's fairly nippy so she might be making an upgrade in the coming months too.

Only downside is the price of a new Polo GTI, you'd be in a 2 yr old Golf GTi pretty easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Might be a bit of a step up in terms of technology to what some people are used to but Id say after a few weeks he'll be flying in it.

Did he go tdi or tsi?

Herself is now keeping an eye on the face lifted Polo, specifically the GTi, she's already got a 151 Polo GT, 150bhp and that's fairly nippy so she might be making an upgrade in the coming months too.

Only downside is the price of a new Polo GTI, you'd be in a 2 yr old Golf GTi pretty easily.

New Polo GTI looks like a horrible proposition even if you look at inflated Golf GTI prices. Plus with Polo you will get lovely Caddy style from 90s Aircon controls. On top of that LED lights are not even standard.

Better off with 5 door Ford ST.

Did he go tdi or tsi?

It's 2.0 TDi 150bhp (I think). DSG. Pretty refined though, definitely seemed quieter in the cabin than his old one.

Polo GTI doesn't make sense imo. I'd pick a 1-2 year old Golf every time.

JoeA3 wrote: »
    He couldn't find the button for resetting the trip meter (he's old school and likes to reset it on every fuel fill up) and sure enough VW have done away with that button :pac: You have to trawl through the menus on the radio just to reset the trip meter!

Is it not automatic? One of the options on the trip meter is since last refuel - others are since start and another one I can't remember but possibly since you last reset it manually.

• Advertisement

Is it not automatic? One of the options on the trip meter is since last refuel - others are since start and another one I can't remember but possibly since you last reset it manually.

Yes thats there alright, that one resets on every fill up (quite handy) and its been there since the MK7. I'm talking about the trip meter in the speedo cluster, the "old school" one where you'd traditionally push a button to reset it.

Yes thats there alright, that one resets on every fill up (quite handy) and its been there since the MK7. I'm talking about the trip meter in the speedo cluster, the "old school" one where you'd traditionally push a button to reset it.

I know the one you mean, but on the new digital cockpit you can have the since since fillup one on the dash all the time.

I know the one you mean, but on the new digital cockpit you can have the since since fillup one on the dash all the time.

Ahhh, very good... I must look at that for him again so!

Plus with Polo you will get lovely Caddy style from 90s Aircon controls. On top of that LED lights are not even standard.

Is that still the case with the new upcoming facelift I wonder? I thought I read somewhere that the new car does get the IQ headlights like the Golf.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Is that still the case with the new upcoming facelift I wonder? I thought I read somewhere that the new car does get the IQ headlights like the Golf.

Not sure, they only revealed facelift Polo few days ago. UK release is in third quarter and I have no idea about here. Or even prices on facelift.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

bazz26 wrote: »
    Prices of performance Golfs are gone through the roof.

I was briefly looking at a similar car to the one below this time last and the asking price was 37k. 43K now for a 2 year old Mk7.5 GTi, mad when you can buy a brand new MK8 CS for low 50k.

https://www.carsireland.ie/2866564

This is exactly why I went for the cs over a 2/3 year old gti pp which was the plan initially. Monthlies aren’t that much more and it’s for 3 rather than 5 years on 5.9% which is more flexible as long as you are confident it will be worth a fair chunk in 3 years. I am throwing a few more grand in to get there but still makes sense to me. After the 3 years you can then by the cs for 22.5k or maybe go again.

That’s without mentioning the upgrades in power, handling etc when compared to the 7.5.

Edit: This could be done even cheaper of course if you went for the gti which is 3k cheap when dsg is optioned for a like for like comparison.

It's a very impressive car. He traded a non-R-Line (Highline) for it and the R-Line spec makes a huge difference to the appearance. Really beefy and imposing looking... on 20" wheels!

Its absolutely stuffed with tech, tbh way more than he'll ever understand never mind ever use. I think you really really need to be up to speed with the latest tech and very comfortable with using the latest smart phones, etc, to not be a bit overwhelmed by all the tech in these new cars.

He hates the lane assist and unfortunately you have to turn it off on every restart, but its easy enough to do, there's a button on the indicator stalk for it. He couldn't find the button for resetting the trip meter (he's old school and likes to reset it on every fuel fill up) and sure enough VW have done away with that button :pac: You have to trawl through the menus on the radio just to reset the trip meter!

I drove it last night to see what the adaptive IQ Lights are like... really cool. It has the same haptic steering wheel buttons that every reviewer bitches about but I couldn't see what the fuss is about. Very easy to use.

I have to setup an app on his phone for him, the "We Connect" thing which is a bit gimmicky but does tell you where the car's parked, might be a handy feature if you "lose" it.
    Might be a bit silly since it’s a performance car but one of the things I’m most looking forward to is the iq lights.

I only had the gti’s for an hour so altogether but the steering buttons didn’t bother me and I didn’t once press one by accident. One gripe I had was the acc speed being 1mph or more depending how hard or long you press but I’m sure you’d get used to it.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Might be a bit silly since it’s a performance car but one of the things I’m most looking forward to is the iq lights. .

I think adaptive LED headlights are a very underrated safety feature. You hear a lot about adaptive cruise, lane assist, cameras, etc but decent lighting on a dark country road is a godsend and genuinely useful - arguably much more important than adaptive cruise if you live rurally. And particularly when the eyesight isn’t 20-20. With adaptive lights you are effectively driving with main/high beams all the time. It trims the part of the beam that would dazzle oncoming cars or cars ahead, but the road side ditch is always fully lit. It’s really impressive to witness first hand.

I think adaptive LED headlights are a very underrated safety feature. You hear a lot about adaptive cruise, lane assist, cameras, etc but decent lighting on a dark country road is a godsend and genuinely useful - arguably much more important than adaptive cruise if you live rurally. And particularly when the eyesight isn’t 20-20. With adaptive lights you are effectively driving with main/high beams all the time. It trims the part of the beam that would dazzle oncoming cars or cars ahead, but the road side ditch is always fully lit. It’s really impressive to witness first hand.
    I’m going to wreck the mrs’s head pointing this out every time a car comes by the other way, haha.

Is it correct that to activate it you need push the stalk forward like normal but you just leave it there? I was watching a night drive on YouTube and I’m pretty sure he had low beams on all the time.

Zurbaran wrote: »
    I’m going to wreck the mrs’s head pointing this out every time a car comes by the other way, haha.

Is it correct that to activate it you need push the stalk forward like normal but you just leave it there? I was watching a night drive on YouTube and I’m pretty sure he had low beams on all the time.

I only tried it for a short spin lastnight. I think I had to flick the stalk until it showed “A” on the high-beam symbol on the dash. Once in “A” (auto) leave it alone and it does the rest. At cruising speed you have full beam. When you meet oncoming cars it trims the beam that dazzles them. Quite weird driving with “full beams” and not getting flashed. Also if you’re tailgating a car ahead it trims the beam that would dazzle their mirrors. Impressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,381 ✭✭✭vintagevrs

I used to drive an E30 that had two candles for head lights. One night on the way home from work some new BM came up behind me and immediately I could see the road much better Infront. Then when a car came I could see it cast a shadow that moved as the car approached and then when it passed both sides of the road lit up perfectly again. I was getting all the benefits of this from the car behind.....then he flew past me and I was back to my candles.

Edit...

Just opened YouTube on my phone and look what the first suggested video is from 6 years ago.

Screenshot-20210703-091920.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭User1998

You need to change your privacy settings.. Its always listening

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭notGill

Confirmed build week 28, which is in the next week or two I think.

Time to start trying to shift the Fiesta on.

Gav I just tried to PM you there but your inbox is full, could you drop me a PM please!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭hazbot

Anyone else here picking up anything new and shiny today for the new 212 plate? My Dad is collecting his new big-spec Tiguan R-Line a little later on after a 7 month wait. He's like a child on Christmas morning !

Not me personally but I was up at the local detailers yesterday and they had a brand new 212 reg R in white sitting outside, waiting for its protective treatment no doubt :)

It had all the extras apparently, bar the pan roof. Akrapovic an' all. Well wear to whoever splashed the cash on that one!

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭PaulRyan97

hazbot wrote: »
    Not me personally but I was up at the local detailers yesterday and they had a brand new 212 reg R in white sitting outside, waiting for its protective treatment no doubt :)

It had all the extras apparently, bar the pan roof. Akrapovic an' all. Well wear to whoever splashed the cash on that one!

I wouldn't be so sure it's actually going to a customer. Dealers seem to be buying in a lot of performance MK8s with ludicrous specs that they then can't shift. Connolly's Volkswagen in Letterkenny have an R they're selling for €75k.

There's only been 7 Golf R's registered this year, I know of a handful currently sitting in dealerships across the country, if some of them have been pre-registered that means there's only a few actually in customer's hands.

I have only seen one performance MK8 on the roads that doesn't belong to either myself or my brother and that was a red Clubsport near Watergrasshill which I later found out has been sold 3 times, all to different dealerships.

• Advertisement

That must be the one that Lewis motors currently have. I think it came from Connolly’s in Sligo, down to Cork and now with Lewis in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭PaulRyan97

That must be the one that Lewis motors currently have. I think it came from Connolly’s in Sligo, down to Cork and now with Lewis in Dublin.

Yeah that's the one, I must have caught it on the trip up from Cork to Lewis Motors, it was heading towards Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

notGill wrote: »
    Gav I just tried to PM you there but your inbox is full, could you drop me a PM please!

PM'd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭GustavoFring

hazbot wrote: »

Had a look around it earlier myself. Looked well to be fair, particularly the exhaust and wing. Surprised to see hankooks on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

Does anybody have a Mk7.5 brochure in PDF?

Kagawa wrote: »
    Does anybody have a Mk7.5 brochure in PDF?

There’s one here from the run out…
    https://www.volkswagen.ie/idhub/content/dam/onehub_pkw/importers/ie/models/product-guides/2020/2020-v2/Golf%20GTI_191217.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 51,170 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

50k for a 2 year old Golf R:

https://www.carsireland.ie/2871196

• Registered Users Posts: 678 ✭✭✭Kagawa

I’m collecting a 2018 GTI on Friday, can’t wait but I forgot check if it had Adaptive Cruise Control. It has front assist but can it have one without the other?

Kagawa wrote: »
    I’m collecting a 2018 GTI on Friday, can’t wait but I forgot check if it had Adaptive Cruise Control. It has front assist but can it have one without the other?

Adaptive cruise is/was standard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭shanethegriff

After a very long wait (order made first week of January) I can now present to you my new mk8 Clubsport!!

I just love it! I'll post better pictures another time but here you go.

There are no filters applied, the lighting just affects the way the camera captures the colour.

Screenshot-20210703-214956-Whats-App.jpg

Screenshot-20210703-214104-Whats-App.jpg

Advertisement