Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Greenway Holiday

• 15-06-2020 11:16pm
    Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Myself and herself are thinking of some kind of break (maybe a week) later during the Summer when things calm down (and we can travel). We'd be dragging taking our two teenagers along.
    One idea is to traipse along one of the greenways.
    Herself wouldn't be a cyclist and wouldn't be keen on spending time on the road so a greenway would be perfect.
    There is the Mullingar one but that may be too close to home to be a holiday.
    Given that, there are really only two that I can think of (please correct me if I'm wrong) - the Great Western in Mayo or the Deise in Waterford.
    I think something that could keep the three of them occupied with an occasional cafe along the route would be perfect.
    Has anyone been on these and would they recommend it?
    I'd be thinking of self-catering - any good accommodation (3 bed house!) suggestions along one or other of these routes?
    I know that they're short but the options here aren't all that great, I guess!
    Any attractions that you'd suggest that mightn't be in the usual tourist advice?

I'm aware of the map created by riddlinrussell here... but don't know if more greenways have opened up since then.
    Any advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

Myself and herself are thinking of some kind of break (maybe a week) later during the Summer when things calm down (and we can travel). We'd be dragging taking our two teenagers along.
    Herself wouldn't be a cyclist and wouldn't be keen on spending time on the road so a greenway would be perfect.
    Given that, there are really only two that I can think of (please correct me if I'm wrong) - the Great Western in Mayo or the Deise in Waterford.
    I think something that could keep the three of them occupied with an occasional cafe along the route would be perfect.
    I'd be thinking of self-catering - any good accommodation (3 bed house!) suggestions along one or other of these routes?
    Any attractions that you'd suggest that mightn't be in the usual tourist advice?

I'm aware of the map created by riddlinrussell here... but don't know if more greenways have opened up since then.
    Any advice appreciated.

I've been thinking of a similar thing. My idea was to park in Westport, cycle the Greenway to Achill, and have two nights booked in one of the hotels there. Spend the second day cycling around Achill, and back to Westport on the third morning.

All obviously with plenty of stops for food and drink, along with pints on the evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

The Royal Canal from Cloondara or Longford to Maynooth is certainly worth considering.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭Andalucia

Any advice appreciated.

I would highly recommend the Waterford Greenway. Base yourself in Dungarvan, should be plenty of options for accomodation and bike hire. The Greenway to Waterford is approx 45km in total, if you just go as far as Kilmacthomas, about 23km, lovely options for food in the Coachhouse Cafe on the Greenway or Kierseys in the village. Great scenery on this route also, along the coast and through the tunnel in Durrow. Also, you have Clonea beach in Dungarvan, hire a kayak for a morning. Plenty to do around the town and plenty of food options, the Tannery, The Moorings, Merrys, Cookhouse 360 - all well known and good quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,128 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

cletus wrote: »
    I've been thinking of a similar thing. My idea was to park in Westport, cycle the Greenway to Achill, and have two nights booked in one of the hotels there. Spend the second day cycling around Achill, and back to Westport on the third morning. All obviously with plenty of stops for food and drink, along with pints on the evening

Assuming they are open, this is a great pub for food, the Greenway runs behind it, between Newport and Achill.
    https://www.nevinsinn.com/

Think they also have a few B&B rooms.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Some of the Kilkenny Cycling Routes are nice from what I recall - quiet roads and/or hard shoulder. I did a bit of exploring the day after the Tour De Kilkenny last year, and that was my impression. Planned to go back with one/ both children anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

8valve of this parish also has a cycling cafe somewhere along the Waterford greenway - hopefully still going Paul??

I echo the Waterford suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,436 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Waterford also has shuttle buses with bike collection, so if you need to change plans, injury or bad weather, you can ditch the bikes and get the shuttle bus back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Been meaning to do the Waterford one for years, hopefully this year as have never done a cycling holiday! Cycling to work and occasionally at the weekends is probably enough!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Luxman

cletus wrote: »
    I've been thinking of a similar thing. My idea was to park in Westport, cycle the Greenway to Achill, and have two nights booked in one of the hotels there. Spend the second day cycling around Achill, and back to Westport on the third morning.

All obviously with plenty of stops for food and drink, along with pints on the evening

The cycle around Achill when you get there is lovely, some very testing climbing to be done, but the main road through the island can be busy I found last year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

A fairly fit club cyclist will get bored pretty quickly on a Greenway, especially if there for a week.

From Dungarvan, decent day trips would include
    *Ardmore Cliff Walk
    *The Cunnigar
    *Brickey Canal
    *Mahon Falls
    *Hike around the Cruachan/Seefin

Some lovely quite beaches either side of Clonea, from Annestown all the way to Whiting Bay to explore.

Wouldn't be hard to make a longer hard spin for yourself by doing one way leg on Greenway and returning on some of brilliant back roads in the area. There is a huge amount to explore.

If you are not to precious about your road bike and weather is dry, you could ride the canal tow path to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭cletus

I think most of the suggestions on here are based around the fact that it's to be a family trip, and to quite Seth, he'll be "dragging teenagers" with him

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭CapnHex

If they're like my teenagers, they have a new found appreciation for the old bike in the shed in these current times. My long game of not ditching bikes, just because they haven't beed used for a number of years finally pays off.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

A fairly fit club cyclist will get bored pretty quickly on a Greenway, especially if there for a week.

*Ardmore Cliff Walk
    *The Cunnigar
    *Brickey Canal
    *Mahon Falls

Some lovely quite beaches either side of Clonea, from Annestown all the way to Whiting Bay to explore.

Wouldn't be hard to make a longer hard spin for yourself by doing one way leg on Greenway and returning on some of brilliant back roads in the area. There is a huge amount to explore.

If you are not to precious about your road bike and weather is dry, you could ride the canal tow path to
    Thanks for the suggestions.
    I would cover the greenway distance no bother myself and if I was out for a spin I'd get through it in no time but with family alongside, I'd be taking in the scenery and attractions. It wouldn't be a "spin" :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I'd say there's a few of us watching this closely, our family had an identical discussion the weekend.

All options mentioned here have come up, bar the Mullingar Greenway which I'm not familiar with, stupidly so as it's close to family and would make a great day out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

*Ardmore Cliff Walk
    *The Cunnigar
    *Brickey Canal
    *Mahon Falls

If basing yourself in Durgavan you could drive upto Carrick-on-Suir (bike hire : https://www.facebook.com/bluewaybikehire/) and cycle the Blueway upto Clonmel and back (20km each way). Plenty of coffee shops etc. in Clonmel.

If you go to Mahon Falls it might be worth booking a hike with this guy: http://www.muddybootsguidedwalking.com/
    Did a hike last year above Mahon Falls and across to Coumshingaun Lake - not a strenuous hike but stunning:
    https://www.activeme.ie/guides/coumshingaun-loop-walk-comeraghs-waterford/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭a148pro

I'd say let your search for accommodation decide between the two. From recent experience, self catering houses are in demand so you may not find it that easy.

There's little to choose between the two areas. Westport and Dungarvan are great towns. The Copper Coast is nice (depending on what your kids are into) and Achill also has great beaches and good surfing options.

Just find the best fit for accommodation and choose on that basis.

Suir blue way highly recommended, barrow way and both canals also offer good stretches if for some reason the big hitters above don't work out.

David Flanagan's book on cycling in Ireland has a bunch more suggestions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Roadtoad

What about hiking the Wicklow Way?

There are guide books to help. The further south you go, the fewer shops/ hostels. Could be an excellent project, if the weather was OK.
    (its not a lame hike, nor is it big mountaineering. There's a reasonable amount of planning involved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭Peterx

The waterford greenway is better for family. It's better ground, wide tarmac nearly all the way, on the old train line pretty much all the way and has two or three good cafe options.
    We stayed in an AirBnB in the middle and went out and back to both ends over the course of a weekend, good cafe options.

The Westport to Achill one was (and is) the original trailblazer for the concept in Ireland but is not as easy ground and the last time I did it the actual greenway finished on a nondescript laneway just off Achill. There's savage ramps coming into and out of Westport.

We cycled onto Achill and it was all a bit Father Ted. Coming into Dungarvan is much nicer to finish.
    In saying that when we did the Waterford one it also finishes outside Waterford in the middle of nowhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Hurrache wrote: »
    I'd say there's a few of us watching this closely, our family had an identical discussion the weekend.
    Definitely, although I'm waiting to push the ebike from the new programme for government on herself first!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I don't know the other Greenway but I have done the Westport one. Westport to Newport isn't particularly scenic but the rest of it is very nice. Newport and Mulranny are both pretty villages.

Anyone know what the North Clare Cycle network is like? Local tourism is pushing it but to me, and I've only passing familiarity with some of the area it takes in, it doesn't seem a very pleasant route to do with a family as it shares the roads with plenty of tourist traffic?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,104 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Peterx wrote: »
    The waterford greenway is better for family. It's better ground, wide tarmac nearly all the way, on the old train line pretty much all the way and has two or three good cafe options.
    We stayed in an AirBnB in the middle and went out and back to both ends over the course of a weekend, good cafe options.

The Westport to Achill one was (and is) the original trailblazer for the concept in Ireland but is not as easy ground and the last time I did it the actual greenway finished on a nondescript laneway just off Achill. There's savage ramps coming into and out of Westport.

We cycled onto Achill and it was all a bit Father Ted. Coming into Dungarvan is much nicer to finish.
    In saying that when we did the Waterford one it also finishes outside Waterford in the middle of nowhere.

I believe the Western Greenway has been extended so it now goes all the way to the bridge onto Achill (previously the final kilometre or so was on the road). There is a hotel over the bridge, but it is a bit like going back to the 80s.

We're planning to do a bit of the Waterford Greenway later in the summer so was looking at the route. It too has been extended and now goes into Waterford City though it does still dump you out onto the quays some way short of the main city centre.

Booked us a house in Waterford so Deise greenway it is :D
    Thanks for the advice folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,452 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

cycled from keel in achill to westport and back this time last year in one day

100+km steady enough

yeh achills a bit weird the chipper at keel isnt wasnt open on a saturday evening in june, they really dont help themselves - the campsite was pretty busy amaxing scenery though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

Waterford also has shuttle buses with bike collection, so if you need to change plans, injury or bad weather, you can ditch the bikes and get the shuttle bus back.

As far as I know, the shuttle buses are run by one of the bike-hire companies, so you could cycle to Kilmac from Waterford or Dungarvan (20-25km range) and get bussed back (they've 4 depots along the way I think). The kicker is that this only applies to somebody that's rented a bike from them - you can't, or at least couldn't, decide you'd had enough and get you+your own bike a lift back to the start. I think it's an insurance thing and I had a similar-ish issue when our then 4 year old went on strike and wouldn't budge a few km out of Kilmac. I had the bright idea to go rent a trailer, but ended up having to take a bike as well as they wouldn't let me use my own in case of damage (possible damage to the bike that is).

Anyway, I see you've decided to plump for Waterford Seth. Enjoy! there're some lovely back roads as LBSG has said. If you're good at getting out early, there're plenty of great 2-3 hour spins to be had before the crew have woken up

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭mayo londoner

Personally I if I was doing the Westport to Achill Greenway the way I'd do it is to spend couple nights in Westport exploring the town, Croagh Patrick etc, then base yourself in Achill for a few days. As someone said above the Westport to Newport stretch is nothing special but from there to Achill the scenery is beautiful. Could hire a bike from Achill Island Hotel (Ostan Oilean Acla) and cycle from there to Newport and back, that's presuming you don't bring your own bikes. Nevins as mentioned above is brilliant for food and couple pints, then there's a few pubs in Mulranny Village and Mulranny Hotel itself before finishing off the cycle at Achill Island Hotel in Achill Sound(just before the bridge).

Bringing the car and parking it up in Achill then allows you to stay a few days there in either hotels, bnb's, self catering, campsites etc and explore the island by car, would be very tough to cycle all around the island, impossible in fact if you are bringing kids. Tonnes of beaches, few restaurants, lots of nice pubs, a 9 hole golf course, fishing, hill climbing and Outdoor Pursuit camps (kayaking, windsurfing etc), horse riding etc, plenty to keep the kids occupied. The Atlantic Drive is amazing even on a bad day watching the waves crashing against the rocks and a drive up Minaun mountain overlooking Keel beach is something else on a good day.

If you are driving down to Achill I'd highly recommend driving from Mulranny to Achill via a village called Currane, the drive is a bit of a hidden gem and has spectacular scenery with views of the Atlantic, Croagh Patrick, Clare Island and Achill Beg. Adds about 10-15mins extra on to your journey but well worth it. Couple of small beaches in Currane too.

That's actually a much nicer cycle back from achill to Westport than the greenway too, particularly if you've already done it on the way out. Great views across Clew Bay

Peterx wrote: »

We cycled onto Achill and it was all a bit Father Ted.

Have never thought of this but you're right! Stunning beaches though. On a day of either good or bad weather they're amazing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭4motion

I did Waterford greenway twice in last 7 days. Caffes are open only take away no shuttle buses yet u can rent bike. Very busy at weekend. Very nice ride in weekdays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

We’ve done both Waterford and Western with very young kids in a trailer. Both fantastic.

For Waterford, we started in Dungarvan and stopped overnight in and Airbnb on Main Street in kilmacthomas. Into Waterford the following day and hotel with pool for the kids. Then back to the same place in kilmacthomas for a night before back to Dungarvan and home. We’d done the western the previous year in 3 days and found it a little more rushed, so gave ourselves the extra day.

Loads of cafes along the route. Enjoy it! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,152 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Dunmore East is close to the Waterford Greenway & a lovely spot.
    Beach, walks, pure relaxing.
    Self catering isn't cheap though and many places would be fully booked already.

dinneenp wrote: »
    Self catering isn't cheap though and many places would be fully booked already.
    That's what I found.
    Most places are unavailable and those that are are mental prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭JMcL

All this talk of the greenway made me pull out the finger today (on a day off) and tick off the out and back from my bucket list where it's been languishing for a long time.5 hours, 119km (to/from Tramore) at a bit under 24km/h Some bell-end contractors laying cable for SIRO along it at the moment with the usual passive aggressive "Cyclists dismount" signs up though first prize goes to idiots picking up a mini digger on a truck the width of the track who rather than wait 30 seconds for me to go past started driving towards me, then caught their digger on some cable strung up across the path causing them to leap out leaving both doors open making it even more difficult to get by :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Hurrache wrote: »

All options mentioned here have come up, bar the Mullingar Greenway which I'm not familiar with, stupidly so as it's close to family and would make a great day out

The Mullingar one is probably the best built greenway but there's (being generous) not much to see. The canal from Mullingar towards Longford is nicer especially the section from Ballinacarrigy onwards. The surface is mostly gravel/quarry dust but it's ok for road bikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

tigerboon wrote: »
    The Mullingar one is probably the best built greenway but there's (being generous) not much to see. The canal from Mullingar towards Longford is nicer especially the section from Ballinacarrigy onwards. The surface is mostly gravel/quarry dust but it's ok for road bikes

As someone who would champion the Mullingar to Athlone cycleway ,as it’s probably the best thing to happen for Athlone in years, sadly this is true . Surface is excellent , and is extremely worthwhile if you are doing the Dublin to Galway route, can be done quickly and zero hassle . But there’s NOTHING in terms of attractions or stuff to look at

Just bring tubes (surface is fine ,rare for puncture but .. you are in the middle of no where ) Might want to bring a sandwich or two as the shops /cafe are few and far between and you have to get onto the road until Moate)

From Moate on to Mullingar the scenery does get nicer but ,meh. Coming into Mullingar after Castletown is a bit fun though. The country roads and lanes are nice though, very green ,good farmland

Boring ? Sadly, yes, after doing it loads of times, but , if those who cycle for fitness etc And don’t want the hassle of cars on the road , it’s great . I have done Dublin to Athlone via main roads several times , pretty safe , but by the time I get to Kilbeggan or Moate, I just want to get the feck off the road

For those not familiar with the route , here are a few thoughts

The greenway is Really quiet area and the embankments ,which actually block The view of bogs etc ,are decent from sheltering one from wind etc

If people are inclined to go from Mullingar to Athlone and vice versa, and, I refer to people in groups or people ridding it slowly (40 km can be done easily within hour and a half Or two hours and less) might want to pack a few sandwiches . There aren’t many Stops long the way for food or attractions but

Castletown Station stop had a nice water tap (Not to be underestimated on a warm day cause there’s isn’t anything on the route for water access ) ,not sure it’s working now (as of last week). from The station , there you can go onto the road to Castletown village For food etc which is only a few km away ,mostly “downhill” so a bit of fun. From there you can go to Lough Ennell ,all on road but quiet roads . 10km from the Castletown stops you can get into Kilbeggan but it’s on the “main road” nice cycle ,quiet enough road (when there’s no horse racing going on at their race course )

Alternatively ,from Castletown you could go the other direction onto the road for the Hill of Uisneach . That road can be a little busy (main road from Athlone to Mullingar) but it’s barely 5km so you should be grand , decent hard shoulder

Streamstown , there’s Horseleap (nice short “hills”) for cyclists ,but meh

Next would be Moate, shops just around the corner in the main “town” . next to the cycleway is a cafe near the golf course And a heritage centre . From MOate there is alway the back roads to Mount Temple , which is a lovley area , a bit “hilly” in parts but an enjoyable ride . There are two other greenway stops between Moate and Athlone to let you into Mount temple . Moydrum castle is around there (U2 album cover ) but not much else, maybe the odd shop . However , from Mount Temple, you can access some back roads that will get you into the picturesque village of Glassan and nearby Portlick and the shores of Lough Ree and LOADS of quality places for food !! These roads can be “hilly” in spots but pretty safe .

Then again , the main road from Athlone to Glassan is safe enough with the hard shoulder , just a very busy road (you can dodge like a plague the “hill climb” at Ballykerran to Glassan by staying left on the flatter road at the fork where the Dog n Duck pub is .

Then there’s Athlone itself , meh, don’t cycle into the town , Ballymahon Road is busier nowadays with the one way system (forget about getting through the town to the bridge via main road , not worth it unless the town is dead ), obviously you can cut through Beechpark west and up to North gate street but not cyclist friendly . (feck it’s safer to cycle the dual carriageway bridge to get over to roscommon side than cross the town bridge lol) . A 1km greenway route is being built next to the Athlone exit to get ya closer to the planned bridge to continue To the castle and then west However .

Over all, Athlone - Mullingar : quality surface, safe and you can stop whenever you want . Ideal if you are passing on to the west . You won’t really be exposed to harsh weather due to the embankments and there’s always a bridge or two to shelter under (some nice designed bridges ) If you want to see things Or get food well, be prepared to go on the roads , least till you get to Moate . The roads ain’t too bad to be fair . I don’t think the greenway does enough to remind people that the areas around the greenway are interesting and are not bland . If you are using the greenway for fitness , ya won’t give a fiddlers for things to see etc , it’s excellent for getting the kms in at whatever pace you want .

Quiet enjoyed the canal routes. Done Mullingar to Cloondara . It’s lovely, the surface is decent , And closer to place to stop for tea etc if that’s your thing , just be wary of cars on some paths (close to homes) also done Mullingar to Movalley too . Really nice. The locks are nice to look at and there’s a few pubs like Nanny Quinn’s (again, country roads around there for spin around rural areas, are lovely, very green and clean scenery )

The Western phase of the Athlone to Galway greenway will have better scenery and things to look at eg view from across the Shannon And Shannon bridge , and see parts of Clonmacnoise from across the Shannon (if the route cuts through Clonown) , then there’s Aughrim (some of those country roads are nice to cycle . Looking forward to when that finally gets agreed

That's super Andy, plenty to digest.

Did the Waterford Greenway today between Dungarvan and Kilmacthomas (return) which worked out at about 47km.
    Lovely surface - I was on my road bike and wife and kids on hybrids but it was an easy enough jaunt: some slopes but no hills which suited those in the group unused to cycling.
    Hired two of the bikes from O'Mahonys @ €15 each for the day (cheap!). Jupiter Tuscans which I had never heard of but were fine for the job.
    Got lunch in Kierseys in Kilmac which was nice. Didn't look at the menu for the Coachhouse but it looked quite busy from outside.
    Plenty of places on the greenway to stop and have a quick snack with both picnic tables and rock clusters.
    As a family day out, I'd highly recommend it. Its very safe, clean and scenic.

Thanks again for the advice & recommendations.

As someone who would champion the Mullingar to Athlone cycleway ,as it’s probably the best thing to happen for Athlone in years, sadly this is true . Surface is excellent , and is extremely worthwhile if you are doing the Dublin to Galway route, can be done quickly and zero hassle . But there’s NOTHING in terms of attractions or stuff to look at

Sadly this was my experience of the same route. They really should consider planting wildflowers or something along the embankment portions as you're just cycling through an area lined with weeds. Maybe they could plant interesting plants that attract wildlife and put in signs about them for kids. Or include suggested spurs to local towns and spots of interest with good infrastructure to them. I agree that the canal is more attractive.

I'd actually go a bit further and say that each of the greenways is probably overrated in terms of their scenic value. There are portions of the Westport and Waterford ones with great views, but also long portions which are relatively meh. Anyone who cycles in the hills will enjoy better views a lot more.

Now obviously the great advantage of these routes is that they are car free and you can get kids and non cyclists out on them. You will not get those groups up the hills realistically. But I'd be anxious that fit non family cyclists, and particularly perhaps those travelling from other countries to cycle here, aren't under the impression that the greenways offer the best we have in terms of scenic value.

They're still worth doing and its worth encouraging local investment in these kind of schemes. You can sense the pride in the local community when you've traveled to cycle these routes, I was approached by a randomer in the Mullingar car park telling me how nice the route would be and making sure I got off in the right direction. Anyone who's spun into Dungarvan town will see how accommodating motorists are to cyclists etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

I think the Waterford Greenway is nicer going from the city into Dungarvan personally.

Also a 30 minute drive from Waterford you can do the Carrick On Suir to Clonmel blueway. Which is much shorter but honestly I thought it was beautiful along the river suir, even nicer than the greenway perhaps (debatable). You'd need a sunny day though or it'd probably be misery.

Another thing about the Blueway is there's nowhere to really stop for food along it. Also it's quite narrow and right beside the river so not much room for error and it can be quite busy with walkers etc if you go during peak times.

N4TzIAp.jpg

• Advertisement

Another pathway worth mentioning is the Dainegan - Tullamore route, it can get you close to Shannon Harbour . The pathway can be a bitch stoney in parts ala Parix Roubaix (so fun)

It goes long the Grand Canal , surface isn’t as good as Mullingar to Clondara or Mullingar to Movalley , but you can do it on a road bike with 25 mm tires , just you might not want to be riding hard and fast . Obviously there are stretches in and out of Tullamore where the surface is grand

The scenery is nice , more nature

Plans are that this will one day link up with Kilbeggan (and I think Moate) , which in turn Is about 10km ride on good road from the Castletown stop on the Athlone Mullingar route

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭De Bhál

sweet_trip wrote: »
    ...it's quite narrow and right beside the river so not much room for error and it can be quite busy with walkers etc if you go during peak times.

I've rode that blueway a few times and you're right, there is no room for error especially if the river is high and is lipping the edge of the path. That's not a river you want to end up in when in full flow.
    The path perfectly fine, just to be aware if bringing young kids who are new to cycling.

a148pro wrote: »
    Sadly this was my experience of the same route. They really should consider planting wildflowers or something along the embankment portions as you're just cycling through an area lined with weeds. Maybe they could plant interesting plants that attract wildlife and put in signs about them for kids. Or include suggested spurs to local towns and spots of interest with good infrastructure to them. I agree that the canal is more attractive.

I'd actually go a bit further and say that each of the greenways is probably overrated in terms of their scenic value. There are portions of the Westport and Waterford ones with great views, but also long portions which are relatively meh. Anyone who cycles in the hills will enjoy better views a lot more.

Now obviously the great advantage of these routes is that they are car free and you can get kids and non cyclists out on them. You will not get those groups up the hills realistically. But I'd be anxious that fit non family cyclists, and particularly perhaps those travelling from other countries to cycle here, aren't under the impression that the greenways offer the best we have in terms of scenic value.

They're still worth doing and its worth encouraging local investment in these kind of schemes. You can sense the pride in the local community when you've traveled to cycle these routes, I was approached by a randomer in the Mullingar car park telling me how nice the route would be and making sure I got off in the right direction. Anyone who's spun into Dungarvan town will see how accommodating motorists are to cyclists etc.

Just outside Moate (Mullingar side) there is a very wide space (our left when going to Athlone direction ) which I hope or assume they would develop eg benches , Water tap etc swings (Castletown did a great job)

Yes, not enough to remind people that places like Hill of Uisneach is only 4-5kn away (there is a sign for the town land but outsiders wouldn’t know it ) and a map/directions on how to get to Lough Ennell (I know, if I want going on a days ride , I’d do my research but ..)

They did on places, have some interesting plants along the route last year . Maybe it was the weather , but I do agree. Bar one or two minor episodes (breaking fences at Mount Temple) people don’t seem inclined to damage the property (put it out away from the towns so the little ****s won’t rip them up)

Remarkably , no mention of the fact that Seán Connerys famous film was hot on this rail line

For a tourist stand point , they should think of it as a convenient hassle free way to cut through the midlands in reasonably quick time (1 hr 30 mins is doable without killing themselves )

For the locals, it does the job for fitness and for kids to learn to cycle .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 643 ✭✭✭Corca Baiscinn

@Randy Archer and @148Pro your posts are too long to quote but what you both say re Athlone to Mullingar Greenway is really interesting . I' did it one-way from Moate a few years ago, enjoyed it very much in terms of the quiet,the surface and ability to ride side by chat and chat without being in anyone's way but my companion claimed it was boring! I noticed not passing through any towns or villages and didn't know that Castletown or the hill of Uisneach were nearby and worth a detour. We had a coffee stop in Moate before starting so the lack of food stops on the route was ok but if you started in Athlone, Moate would probably be too soon. It was Spring so there were some flowers to see and birds to listen to.

It looks like if this Greenway was applying for funding now under the Greenway Strategy it likely wouldn't qualify except that it's of strategic value as part of the longer Dublin-Galway route. The strategy has 5 criteria, Scenic, Things to see and do, Sustainable, Segregated and Strategic. You seem to be saying and I agree that its not exactly scenic and if there are things to see and do they are not well signed or promoted. A huge sum of money is going to spent on an iconic pedestrian and cycling bridge across the Shannon at Athlone. Maybe Westmeath Co Co should be pressed to make more of an effort to promote things to see and do around the rail trail and add some value to the experience for the people cycling and local enterprise. Ye should contact Westmeath Co Co and claim a consultancy fee for your good ideas!

sweet_trip wrote: »
    .Another thing about the Blueway is there's nowhere to really stop for food along it. Also it's quite narrow and right beside the river so not much room for error and it can be quite busy with walkers etc if you go during peak times.N4TzIAp.jpg

Agree the Blueway is fab and narrow! Views of the river and across to cornfields, horses, cows, were glorious. Not sure the lack of somewhere to eat is a problem on such a short stretch. We stopped in Kilsheelan, (just up a ramp) and had takeaway coffee and cake from the local shop but there seemed to be people going into the pub too so it possibly had food. It's a noisy village being on the main Limerick Waterford road but the local tidy towns had some fab work with wildflower planting and there as a wall to sit on or we could have carried the coffee back down the ramp to the gorgeous stone bridge.

Have any of you cycled the length of the Shannon as a bike holiday or as near as is practical? I'd love to do it but dont think there's a suitable route or any plan for one the full length. It's a pity as River Routes are popular in Europe, Think of routes along the Loire, Rhine, Rhone, Meuse and Danube. But all these are sadly out of bounds at the minute.
    Looking at the map the source at the Shannon Pot to Carrick on Shannon can be done on R Roads + Blueway from Drumshanbo. After that can't see any option without a substantial diversion bar the N4 to Rooskey. There's a minor road then to Tarmonbarry and you could divert to the Royal Canal Greenway at nearby Clondra which would get you to Ballymahon. Looks like an N road again to Athlone or are there alternatives?

After that its a matter of holing up for a few years until they build the Athlone-Clonmacnoise Greenway and on to Shannonbridge. Bit of diverting to get to Portumna then down the West side of of Lough Derg to Scarriff. Hole up there again til they build the mooted Scarriff to Limerick Greenway or take the road.

Looks nearly as far again to go all the way from there to Loop Head! Does anyone think we should look to build a compete route along our longest river?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Agree the Blueway is fab and narrow! Views of the river and across to cornfields, horses, cows, were glorious. Not sure the lack of somewhere to eat is a problem on such a short stretch. We stopped in Kilsheelan, (just up a ramp) and had takeaway coffee and cake from the local shop but there seemed to be people going into the pub too so it possibly had food. It's a noisy village being on the main Limerick Waterford road but the local tidy towns had some fab work with wildflower planting and there as a wall to sit on or we could have carried the coffee back down the ramp to the gorgeous stone bridge.

Did the same, its a bit of a hidden gem, saw an otter long the way , only did Carrick to Clonmel return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Would love to do the Greeenway anywhere, but I am deaf and therefore have balance issues on a bike now.

Might try it though and see. The Western Greenway looks good as does the Deise Greenway.
    Anyway could always walk it I suppose if we could get a pick up back if knackered! Apologies this is in the cycling thread so I suppose I am not allowed to speak of alternatives on these Greenways. lol.

What about a three wheeled bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,373 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Would love to do the Greeenway anywhere, but I am deaf and therefore have balance issues on a bike now.

Might try it though and see. The Western Greenway looks good as does the Deise Greenway.
    Anyway could always walk it I suppose if we could get a pick up back if knackered! Apologies this is in the cycling thread so I suppose I am not allowed to speak of alternatives on these Greenways. lol.

If you're an early riser you'll have the Waterford Greenway to yourself from about 06:00 - 08:00 I did it a couple of weeks back and I met one person between Waterford and Dungarvan. Coming back it was starting to get busy and a lot busier nearer Waterford with large groups of walkers spread across the width of the track. A bell on these greenways is a must and the louder the better.

• Advertisement
Advertisement