Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling mechanics & qualifications

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Omega28

The crank /bottom is knackered. There's also no wheels, cassette, chain, shifters and the handle bars have seen better days

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

Omega28 wrote: »
    The crank /bottom is knackered. There's also no wheels, cassette, chain, shifters and the handle bars have seen better days

Ok. Just be aware that buying all the necessary parts could become expensive. Look to go second hand if you can (the bicycle adverts forum here is good for that)

Check out Park Tool videos on YouTube. They will have a really detailed video on every job you'll want to do

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Bottom bracket cables chain and cassette are all wear and tear parts and can be replaced with new parts cheaply. I'd reccomend going used for the rest of the groupset cranks, brakes, derailleurs, shifters etc. As shimano makes all the top end parts serviceable and can last for a long time.
    Wheels would be more diffucult as on rim brake bikes they're actually a wear and tear part so if you manage to find something second hand that has little wear go for it.
    I would not go for the cheapest tools in the market as they're cheap for a reason. Generally park tools can be overpriced and therefore I'd only buy there stuff sometimes but stuff like there cable cutters are good and last a really long time. And then obviously you can sometimes can get cheaper better quality generic tools from motoring tool manufacturers etc. Personally all my generic tools are nautical tools bought from my local marine hardware as that's what's local to me and I also get marine grease from there which is cheaper and as good for most stuff than bike greases.

The other thing is when your replacing bearings try and get a good quality bearing rather than the cheap stuff you'll get from your lbs i.e try and get stuff from NTN, skf etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭cletus

+1 on the tools. There are many reputable brands out there. A good portion of my hand tools comes from Halfords Advanced range, which can be got on sale regularly

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Recognised by whom? Unless it is a QQI qualification, then it isn't of any worth and the courses are just a commercial product being sold.

This is a very good point.

I remember (many moons ago) spending a many months completing a full time a City & Guilds course (in an unrelated area) only to find out that nobody had heard of it let alone recognise it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Recognised by whom? Unless it is a QQI qualification, then it isn't of any worth and the courses are just a commercial product being sold.
    Fine if it is just for upskilling and learning about bikes but it isn't a qualification in any real sense. City and guilds aren't worth the paper they're written on. it is all a closed shop of them offering courses to their own members. they have hardly any external recognition.

Why do you say City and Guilds aren't worth the paper they're written on ? I needed one for a job I applied for recently.
    I don't understand what you mean by it being a 'closed shop'... that makes no sense whatsoever.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

swarlb wrote: »
    Why do you say City and Guilds aren't worth the paper they're written on ? I needed one for a job I applied for recently.

I would agree that City & Guilds have some excellent courses that are well recognized but as per my last post this does not apply to all of their courses.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,917 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Having worked in an academic institution (3 in fact) I'd question some of the qqi qualifications too.

Now getting qqi accreditation is a tough enough process, and it's reviewed every so often, but having it, doesn't make always make the qualification worth much if the course and such is not up to any sort of standard as is the case with many

Advertisement