Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent walking runners

Options
  • 14-06-2020 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

I'm 5' 11, 17 and half stone male and am very unfit. Had total hip replacement in 2013 due to Perthes disease. I'm pretty sedentary. Last week I signed up to walk 100km in 30 days (by the end of June) to raise money for breast cancer. I've walked just over 36km since last Sunday, walked just over 6km today in an hour. I have a pair of Nike air max but they're now starting to cause blisters on my heel. I also suffer from lower back pain but thankfully it not as bad as it was at beginning of the week. Sorry about the long winded intro but thought it might be helpful.
    So, can anyone recommend a decent pair of walking runners to suit someone like me? I have wide feet so that's why I tend to go for Nikes. Budget would be €100 max...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,177 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Hello!

Firstly sorry to hear about the Hip issue. 36 KM since Sunday is a lot well done and on the 6k today.

I think it might be best for you to go to the store only they can take a look at your feet and you and recommend something.

Hope you find what you are looking for :)

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭tamara25

New balance & Skechers. Both wide fitting & I have found them very comfortable & lasted years

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭chicken foot

Ive a wide foot too with a neutral gait (Elverys will test you). Ive been wearing Brooks Ghost for years now and I swear by them. It is like walking on well supported clouds!. Theyre not cheap, about €140 but no more than youd pay for the Nike Air.

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭calfmuscle

Ive a wide foot too with a neutral gait (Elverys will test you). Ive been wearing Brooks Ghost for years now and I swear by them. It is like walking on well supported clouds!. Theyre not cheap, about €140 but no more than youd pay for the Nike Air.

Totally agree Iv a neutral foot and love my Brooks ghost. Incredibly comfortable with great support.

When your buying shoes pick them up and twist the shoe, you will see some brands and models twist easily as they dont offer much support. Go for the more firm shoes. Your nike air max offer a lot of support!.

You could try double socking too. So put a nylon sock under your normal sock to help reduce friction. Most Tesco's have these.

Well done on taking on the challenge. If things get really tough you can always break down the walks to 2km 3 times a day etc. Just dont get a repetitive stress injury as itll ruin your motivation!

Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭R11

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Just dont get a repetitive stress injury as itll ruin your motivation!

Enjoy!

What's repetitive stress injury? Or how will I know?

• Advertisement

There's a pair of Brooks Ghost 12 runners on ebay for £92, so just over €100. Worth a punt?

R11 wrote: »
    What's repetitive stress injury? Or how will I know?

Lots of ppl who suddenly take up walking every day will get shin splints or planterfacitis . So just be careful to stretch and (as you are doing) wear good footwear!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I used to wear the 1000 mile socks for running and when I switched to those I stopped getting any level of blister.

Really reduces the friction between shoe and skin. Worth a try because you've decent runners and it's likely just the toll the extra mileage over and above what you're used to that is causing any issues

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Asics Cumulous range is very good. Easy on the joints

I used to wear the 1000 mile socks for running and when I switched to those I stopped getting any level of blister.

Really reduces the friction between shoe and skin. Worth a try because you've decent runners and it's likely just the toll the extra mileage over and above what you're used to that is causing any issues
    Never heard of them! Looked them up on amazon so I'll grab a pair. My Air Max are probably 3 years old at this stage, they're a bit worn at this stage so maybe it's time I upgraded! I'll go into Elverys tomorrow to get sized up properly and I'll search online for bargains!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭DoozerT6

I had a pair of Skechers a couple of years ago and they were very comfortable for walking. However, they had the memory foam insoles and I found the foam completely wore away where the ball of my foot sat within just a few months making them unusable, which was a shame because they were in perfect condition otherwise.

I now have a pair of Asics that I got on sale last year and they are still in perfect nick and never hurt or rubbed my feet. Actually I might throw them on and go for a walk now :)

DoozerT6 wrote: »
    I had a pair of Skechers a couple of years ago and they were very comfortable for walking. However, they had the memory foam insoles and I found the foam completely wore away where the ball of my foot sat within just a few months making them unusable, which was a shame because they were in perfect condition otherwise.

I now have a pair of Asics that I got on sale last year and they are still in perfect nick and never hurt or rubbed my feet. Actually I might throw them on and go for a walk now :)

Yeh, a neighbour of mine recommends Asics. I never heard of Brooks runners before but they look decent also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 242 ✭✭Flickerfusion

I’m not sure what version of Sketchers have, but they’re far too bouncy. I found them extremely weird to walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,584 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Never heard of them! Looked them up on amazon so I'll grab a pair. My Air Max are probably 3 years old at this stage, they're a bit worn at this stage so maybe it's time I upgraded! I'll go into Elverys tomorrow to get sized up properly and I'll search online for bargains!

They've two layers...the idea being that one moves with your foot and the other with the shoe so less chance of blisters. Used

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

I know you asked for runners and i am not sure why. Runners are designed to make the most of jogging / running. They are not optimal for walking long distances.

A dedicated pair of walking shoes are your best bet in my opinion. I buy an ecco pair once every year or two and put 100s of km on them per year walking the dogs usually.

Bio-mechanically walking and running are quite different. There are plenty of articles online you can look up , but if walking long distances get walking shoes.

But I won't be walking big distances. Probably do between 6 to 8 kms on a good day. But if walking shoes suit me better, I'll look into them.
    Edit. Nice pair of Ecco Terracruise on amazon for £78....would they suit me better than Asics or Brooks?

OmegaGene wrote: »
    asics would be fine for moderate walking like that in my opinion, you could try on a few pairs in sports direct maybe

Any particular brand? Kayano, cumulus etc... Should I get the gel ones? I'd like a casual pair, not books so that's why I like the asics/brooks /ecco ones.

Any particular brand? Kayano, cumulus etc... Should I get the gel ones? I'd like a casual pair, not books so that's why I like the asics/brooks /ecco ones.

Nobody can answer as we dont know your foot type. As said earlier brooks ghost are for s neutral foot. Asics kayano are for pronation.

I agree about sketchers no real support Nd I never buy them or recommend them to my patients.

calfmuscle wrote: »
    Nobody can answer as we dont know your foot type. As said earlier brooks ghost are for s neutral foot. Asics kayano are for pronation.

I agree about sketchers no real support Nd I never buy them or recommend them to my patients.

OK, I just watched YouTube video on foot pronation. I'm kinda in between normal and under pronation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I know you asked for runners and i am not sure why. Runners are designed to make the most of jogging / running. They are not optimal for walking long distances.

A dedicated pair of walking shoes are your best bet in my opinion. I buy an ecco pair once every year or two and put 100s of km on them per year walking the dogs usually.

Bio-mechanically walking and running are quite different. There are plenty of articles online you can look up , but if walking long distances get walking shoes.
    I agree with this. Unless you are planning to progress to running you are better off looking at walking shoes.
    I have been running for 20+ years and always buy ASICS GT 1000 online in last year’s colours to save money. Avoid sketchers at all costs. They feel really soft when you try them on but they lose shape and support very quickly if you are walking every day in them.

• Advertisement

I agree with this. Unless you are planning to progress to running you are better off looking at walking shoes.
    I have been running for 20+ years and always buy ASICS GT 1000 online in last year’s colours to save money. Avoid sketchers at all costs. They feel really soft when you try them on but they lose shape and support very quickly if you are walking every day in them.

Yes,I'll steer clear of Skechers. So am I better off going for a pair of Ecco walking shoes like this- https://www.amazon.co.uk/ECCO-Terracruise-Hiking-Shoes-Black/dp/B07DTMGDBJ/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?crid=ETSEVWZYURH6&dchild=1&keywords=ecco+walking+shoes+men&qid=1592166035&refinements=p_n_size_browse-vebin%3A1920035031%2Cp_72%3A419153031&rnid=419152031&s=shoes&sprefix=ecco+walk%2Caps%2C142&sr=1-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEzRzMxUzE2RkxFRTZNJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTI1MDk3Uk5VMkVTQzlDOUtFJmVuY3J5cHRlZEFkSWQ9QTAyNjkxMTgzUjNJR0dBQVU4NEc5JndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

I won't be walking big distances but hope to keep this up and get out regularly from now on.....Seems its either walking shoes or Asics???

If you think you will be doing some walking in all weathers a good few ecco shoes are available with the goretex lining , really helps keeping the feet dry in rain or if there is alot of surface water.

If it's possible try and call in store and try them on .

If you think you will be doing some walking in all weathers a good few ecco shoes are available with the goretex lining , really helps keeping the feet dry in rain or if there is alot of surface water.

Ok,would Ecco be the best brand?Just looking on amazon here and there's Columbia,Merrell,Grisport, Mountain Warehouse,Salomon,adidas and a few others. Ideally,would like a pair with a runner look and not big boots!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Really with shoes the best way is to go into a shop and try some on. You can always order them online after, even though that is cheeky! Also sizes vary, for example I’m a 6 in sketchers (which I wear for work, not long distances) but a 7 in ASICS which I wear for exercise.
    If you are near Dublin Decathlon have just opened. They usually have a wide range of walking/hiking and running shoes at varying prices.

Ok,would Ecco be the best brand?Just looking on amazon here and there's Columbia,Merrell,Grisport, Mountain Warehouse,Salomon,adidas and a few others. Ideally,would like a pair with a runner look and not big boots!
    It would be better to go into a shop and try them on , I have had Merrell before as well and they are grand . I think the ecco build quality is good, have had several pairs that I have walked through until there was holes in the soles and they were great right the way through.

For your first pair go try some on , they can all vary slightly between width at the toes , cushioning , comfort .

Cheers,not a lot of stores have walking shoes where I am and I'm an hour from Dublin. I'll pop into elverys and sports direct tomorrow so.

OK, I just watched YouTube video on foot pronation. I'm kinda in between normal and under pronation.
    Just look at the outside sole of the runners you wear for walking now. See where they are run down most ..that will tell you if you or not.

Have your feet checked in the store etc.

Good luck xx

Just look at the outside sole of the runners you wear for walking now. See where they are run down most ..that will tell you if you or not.

Have your feet checked in the store etc.

Good luck xx

Cheers, they tend to wear on the back outside more than inside.

Cheers, they tend to wear on the back outside more than inside.
    You land a little supinated at the back and on your heel.

Its not necessarily a bad thing as you are only walking though.

Bring your old pair with you into the shop you go to ....show them.

• Advertisement

You land a little supinated at the back and on your heel.

Its not necessarily a bad thing as you are only walking though.

Bring your old pair with you into the shop you go to ....show them.
    Yes, the outside back of both heels tends to wear quicker. What's your opinion - walking shoes or Asics runners?

Advertisement