Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decathlon Sports Ireland

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Queue is still substantial today. But seems to move kinda quickly. I’d say many are browsing. Queue is maybe ten minutes.

My point earlier was that LBS shops do not deserve business purely based on the fact that they are your LBS.

Queue is still substantial today. But seems to move kinda quickly. I’d say many are browsing. Queue is maybe ten minutes.

My point earlier was that LBS shops do not deserve business purely based on the fact that they are your LBS.

In and out. Place looks like it does a decent range of stuff. Archery section was a bit limited as were a few others. There could be mitigating factors for that. Absolutely no free weights available as per the rest of the country.

Cycling options were ok but place looked a bit like it had been stripped at the weekend. I recommend leaving it a few days in the hopes of a restock before I’d travel and queue. No-one wearing masks either if that’s a concern you may have.

Queuing getting to people. Someone shouted at me as I walked past the queue to leave, annoyed I was “skipping” it. It’s a one-way system. In front door. Out fire escape at rear.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i'm lucky, i have three to choose from and have a distinct order of preference.
    but am obviously wary of a future where the likes of decathlon might put one or all of those out of business, they're all reasonably close to decathlon. there are things i can get done and ask about in the one i usually go to which i very much doubt decathlon will be able to provide, and for that reason i do think they deserve my business; and i'd be worried that what differentiates them would not be to keep them going if a lot of their other business moved.

i'm lucky, i have three to choose from and have a distinct order of preference.
    but am obviously wary of a future where the likes of decathlon might put one or all of those out of business, they're all reasonably close to decathlon. there are things i can get done and ask about in the one i usually go to which i very much doubt decathlon will be able to provide, and for that reason i do think they deserve my business; and i'd be worried that what differentiates them would not be to keep them going if a lot of their other business moved.

I think the big difference is in what Decathlon sell. Some said earlier that Halfords would be threatened most and I’d have to agree. The products will seduce a few but I don’t see many on this forum buying from them over bike24 or wiggle etc. I think they’re a greater threat to outdoorsy stores like Regatta and Port West whose customer base is more price driven. Great Outdoors will always be superior and have a loyal enough customer base.

I think we share an LBS, you and I, and the quality of product and service they supply has dropped off considerably. I don’t use them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭Mercian Pro

Up getting the car NCT'd so dropped into Decathlon on the way home. Was there about 10min before opening and there were about 15 ahead of me.
    Having bought cycling and hiking bits and pieces before in French branches, I was quite disappointed with stock levels here. Lots of items on the display panels were missing when I went looking or were only available in odd sizes. Ended up spending all of €9 on socks and hiking pole rubber tips! It seemed a good bit busier as I left but I don't think there was a queue outside.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

their stock levels were way down within a few days of opening. just a rush on the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Yea just in the door after a quick trip. Stock levels seriously depleted as expected. But got what I needed. A small life vest for the 3 year old (15 euro) a small wetsuit that was just a little too small and some swimmers that are too small.
    Dont fancy going back to replace them but will have to. I was looking for some cycling gear for myself but they literally had shag all!

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Went to cycle superstore for a yellow Viz cycling top.
    €70 it was. It's very comfortable and I like it but cycling is an expensive hobby. 70 quid for basically a t shirt.

you can get cycling tops for a lot cheaper than that, tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,165 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

byrnem31 wrote: »
    Went to cycle superstore for a yellow Viz cycling top.
    €70 it was. It's very comfortable and I like it but cycling is an expensive hobby. 70 quid for basically a t shirt.

You obviously didn't need one, they saw you coming a mile off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Expect to pay top prices for anything in cycle superstore it's a good shop no doubt but not too many bargains to be had I only buy in there if I really have to . It's really for people who have no problem paying top end prices for things .

They're not the worse, they can be reasonable for many things, and have decent offers.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭byrnem31

Hurrache wrote: »
    You obviously didn't need one, they saw you coming a mile off.

I did need it. I cycled out to blessington straight after and the difference wearing it compared to a €3 cotton penny's t shirt with a Viz vest over it that sweats the balls of you was night and day.

It was a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,111 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hurrache wrote: »
    It was a joke.

A joke doesn't work if you have to explain it....
    (I got it)

Had to come back as my wife needed to swap the top she got her dad for father's day (decathlon sizing is on the small side) - there's a sign in the bike section saying they're experiencing supply issues and they hope to restock by August.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I did need it. I cycled out to blessington straight after and the difference wearing it compared to a €3 cotton penny's t shirt with a Viz vest over it that sweats the balls of you was night and day.

unusual placement for them

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭Chris871

Had to come back as my wife needed to swap the top she got her dad for father's day (decathlon sizing is on the small side) - there's a sign in the bike section saying they're experiencing supply issues and they hope to restock by August.

Cheers for that, save me making the trip over the weekend in that case.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Anyone been lately? Have to go to Dublin on Thursday and was going to drop in. Is there still queues to get in?

if you're going to drop in for cycling gear:

518337.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭doxy79

Anyone know if its possible to buy from the decathlon.co.uk site and have it shipped to Ireland? Prices can be a good bit cheaper on there. I don't want to go the parcel motel route if at all possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Bought 4 inner tubes from decathlon and managed to puncture 3 out of 4 in a week. Got a puncture and swapped one out on side of road and got home it was flat again. Checked tyre and rim and it seems i knicked it getting tyre on. I was probably rougher than I would be at home as it was raining fine. I was watching the footy and decided to repair the tube and install a new another new one. Well I was washed everything down as usual inflated the tyre slightly and as I was getting the last bit of tyre on I needed to apply a bit of force to pull it on I hear the air deflate from tube. Take it out and repatch it as another spare and put another brand new tube in this time I'm using kid gloves and the same thing happens .Now I've probably changed tubes at least 100 times (mainly because I swap tyres around alot when I had one bike) and this has never happenned me. Tyre is perfect , rim is perfect the tubes are cheap but I can see why now they are like paper.
    Anyway stuck an old halfords one I had lying about and it was fine you can feel the difference in quality between the tubes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭KevRossi

FinnC wrote: »
    Anyone been lately? Have to go to Dublin on Thursday and was going to drop in. Is there still queues to get in?

Queued for 15 mins on Monday morning around 11.30. For guidance, the queue went along the front of the building and back on itself.

Bike shelves were effectively empty. I was looking for tri-bars but they were sold out. Said it would be several weeks before some things come in.
    new2tri19 wrote: »
    Bought 4 inner tubes from decathlon and managed to puncture 3 out of 4 in a week. .

Their tubes are total crap. I got them in France and Belfast a couple of times and ended up throwing them away (I upcycled them to something else). Stick to known brands if you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I've bought plenty of tubes in France and never had any issues....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭nigeldaniel

I have been planning on visiting the store since they announced they were building it. But as things went gaga with the covid I have not had the chance. Good to know about the bike gear been restocked in August as mentioned by another poster Will be interested in seeing if they restock the old bike range or bring in an entirely new range.

Dan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,177 ✭✭✭JMcL

KevRossi wrote: »
    Their tubes are total crap. I got them in France and Belfast a couple of times and ended up throwing them away (I upcycled them to something else). Stick to known brands if you can.

I've never had any great issues with them myself TBH and I've stocked up on a fair few over the years. I get a handful of punctures over the course of a year over several bikes, which is fairly acceptable

doxy79 wrote: »
    Anyone know if its possible to buy from the decathlon.co.uk site and have it shipped to Ireland? Prices can be a good bit cheaper on there. I don't want to go the parcel motel route if at all possible.

You can’t. Parcel Motel only.

Their tubes are fine. Have plenty and I’ve never punctured.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭new2tri19

Maybe I got a dodgy batch , not been to the store yet looking forward to it will wait till it's restocked

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭FinnC

Went yesterday morning around 10.30 and just walked in no queues at all. Place was busy but had no problem walking around and no queues for the tills or anything.
    Bought a few running tops and a couple of pairs of runners for the kids.
    First time in any Decathlon and was impressed enough. Look forward to going back when there is more stock, was a few things I would like to have bought but they didnt have my sizes in them.
    Do they come out with new ranges every year for their running and cycling clothing?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,318 ✭✭✭✭ted1

KevRossi wrote: »

I’ve used their tubes several times and have never had an issue

Advertisement