Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extended Maternity Leave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭Toastytoes

lunamoon wrote: »
    The only argument I'd seen that bares any weight is that the babies have missed out on the PHN development checks. Otherwise I don't really understand why it should be extended. Everyone is in the same boat re childcare.

My 2 year old has missed out on her development check with the phn but I’m not expecting 3 months leave to deal with it. It’s all a nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

• Registered Users Posts: 16,094 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

lunamoon wrote: »
    The only argument I'd seen that bares any weight is that the babies have missed out on the PHN development checks. Otherwise I don't really understand why it should be extended. Everyone is in the same boat re childcare.

The 8 month olds also missed out on PHN checks . As did 2 year olds . I see no basis at all why one group get more leave when so many struggled for various reason
    If anyone deserves leave its parents of kids with special needs who struggled with no schooling and no support for months

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

When parent’s leave was first proposed it was going to get extended every year until it reached a certain number of weeks. I can’t remember the exact details but I did start a thread on it a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

bee06 wrote: »

How long does this apply until? Due baby #2 in October, it looks like this will give both me and my wife 3 extra weeks of paid leave...

• Advertisement

How long does this apply until? Due baby #2 in October, it looks like this will give both me and my wife 3 extra weeks of paid leave...

I think the Irish times or RTÉ (can’t remember) said from the 1st November-pandemic.
    I would say it’s for the foreseeable future tbh. I got a call from a HSE SALT to say my eldest will not have a face to face appointment until summer 2021!!!! So I think you will get it as things don’t seem to be changing with regard to appointments which was one of the arguments.
    It isn’t going to come in until the Budget 2021 and it can be used up until the child’s second birthday as the 1st November 2019 babies would miss out.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Ridiculous pandering to an already entitled bunch judging by the women who spoke publicly. Some other less vocal cohort will loose out now as the money has to come from somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Millem wrote: »
    I think the Irish times or RTÉ (can’t remember) said from the 1st November-pandemic.
    I would say it’s for the foreseeable future tbh. I got a call from a HSE SALT to say my eldest will not have a face to face appointment until summer 2021!!!! So I think you will get it as things don’t seem to be changing with regard to appointments which was one of the arguments.
    It isn’t going to come in until the Budget 2021 and it can be used up until the child’s second birthday as the 1st November 2019 babies would miss out.

Yes the article said from Nov 1, what I cant understand is why Nov 1. We had no confirmed cases here until when Feb?

lazygal wrote: »
    Ridiculous pandering to an already entitled bunch judging by the women who spoke publicly. Some other less vocal cohort will loose out now as the money has to come from somewhere.

It’s parents’ leave not maternity leave. When 2 weeks parent’s leave was originally announced back in 2019 the Government intended to increase the benefit incrementally up to seven weeks by 2021.
    It would of been on the table regardless of covid.

I am sure statistics will show that there is a low take up. No one in my work has taken or applied for the original two weeks parents’ leave as it’s not topped up (public sector).

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Lizardlegz

It’s parents’ leave not maternity leave. When 2 weeks parent’s leave was originally announced back in 2019 the Government intended to increase the benefit incrementally up to seven weeks by 2021.
    It would of been on the table regardless of covid.

I am sure statistics will show that there is a low take up. No one in my work has taken or applied for the original two weeks parents’ leave as it’s not topped up (public sector).

I saw this last night and said it to my husband who said there is no way he is taking it and that he’d be “laughed out the door”. He’s in private sector on a good salary. Ffs. He said he will take 2 weeks paternity leave when baby comes and that’s it. FML

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Lizardlegz wrote: »
    I saw this last night and said it to my husband who said there is no way he is taking it and that he’d be “laughed out the door”. He’s in private sector on a good salary. Ffs. He said he will take 2 weeks paternity leave when baby comes and that’s it. FML

My husband is the exact same. Absolutely no way he’d take 5 weeks. Would not look good at all and I’m the long run not worth it. Pity it can’t be transferred to the mothers! I’d gladly take it!!!!

cant26 wrote: »
    My husband is the exact same. Absolutely no way he’d take 5 weeks. Would not look good at all and I’m the long run not worth it. Pity it can’t be transferred to the mothers! I’d gladly take it!!!!

He doesn’t have to take the full 5 weeks though. It can be used in weekly increments.

It’s a pity some companies still have this old fashioned attitude.

My husband took 4 weeks (2 paternity, 2 parents) and he would have taken extra if he could.

In my company fathers get 6 weeks paternity and everyone takes it. Senior management and down so the culture is there to support it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Don't have a child but I know my teammates tend to take it as extension of holidays around Christmas time, school breaks etc, which seems fine to me. Finishing a week earlier at Christmas and so on.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

jrosen wrote: »
    Yes the article said from Nov 1, what I cant understand is why Nov 1. We had no confirmed cases here until when Feb?

As best I can understand this might be because Nov. baby parents may have been due back to work by March if they only took the State 24 week leave (or 26, whatever it is!).
    It is all very confusing, to be honest.
    Personally about 3 weeks max is enough for me to have the husband at home, I prefer him to go back to work then for all our sanities!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

shesty wrote: »
    As best I can understand this might be because Nov. baby parents may have been due back to work by March if they only took the State 24 week leave (or 26, whatever it is!).
    It is all very confusing, to be honest.
    Personally about 3 weeks max is enough for me to have the husband at home, I prefer him to go back to work then for all our sanities!
    Same. I liked getting into the swing of things after a few weeks. I always got into a nice routine on maternity leave, and himself kind of got in the way of that....

lazygal wrote: »
    Same. I liked getting into the swing of things after a few weeks. I always got into a nice routine on maternity leave, and himself kind of got in the way of that....

Yea I understand that. I’d just love for him to take 4 weeks as I’d have 4 under 7 and breastfeeding. It’s just between naps with the younger 2 and school pics up for the older 2 it would’ve been handy having him to do all the drop offs and pick ups for school, Montessori and than all the afterschool activities. I’m just not looking forward to having to do it all myself with a 2 week old when we are getting to grips with feeding etc. I just hate the attitude. But it’s there.

Yea I understand that. I’d just love for him to take 4 weeks as I’d have 4 under 7 and breastfeeding. It’s just between naps with the younger 2 and school pics up for the older 2 it would’ve been handy having him to do all the drop offs and pick ups for school, Montessori and than all the afterschool activities. I’m just not looking forward to having to do it all myself with a 2 week old when we are getting to grips with feeding etc. I just hate the attitude. But it’s there.

Christ, that’s full on. I found it hard enough with 2 when my husband went back to work (and he was WFH).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

So does the mother get 2 weeks paternity leave on top of the normal maternity leave at the moment?

Christ, that’s full on. I found it hard enough with 2 when my husband went back to work (and he was WFH).

Yea I know I’m just trying to figure it out! Lol lol. I think tho when it happens we will just find a way.... we always do! lol. I think I might look into getting some help for a couple hours a day tho. I’ve never had a helper/minder before so I’m thinking I like the thought of that luxury! :-)

Yea I know I’m just trying to figure it out! Lol lol. I think tho when it happens we will just find a way.... we always do! lol. I think I might look into getting some help for a couple hours a day tho. I’ve never had a helper/minder before so I’m thinking I like the thought of that luxury! :-)

You will totally find a way even though it might be tough going for a bit! Getting someone in is a great idea. Even if you had someone to stay with the smallies while you were doing to school run (or them do the school run) so you didn’t have to buckle 4 into the car!

Edit: assuming you have a car!

• Advertisement

Truckermal wrote: »
    So does the mother get 2 weeks paternity leave on top of the normal maternity leave at the moment?

2 weeks parents leave, yes.

You will totally find a way even though it might be tough going for a bit! Getting someone in is a great idea. Even if you had someone to stay with the smallies while you were doing to school run (or them do the school run) so you didn’t have to buckle 4 into the car!

Edit: assuming you have a car!

Yea that’s it exactly! It’s just getting the 4 in and out the whole time that would stress me out. I found that difficult with 3 especially trying to base everything around feeding and napping. Z

Regarding the parents leave tho... i wouldn’t hesitate To ask for what I’m due if I need it. But I’m in the public sector and I know many parents male and female who would be the same. I think maybe it’s a bit different in the private sector I don’t know....

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Wow that is a full on schedule if your husband can't take the leave you are right about getting in a minder for the drop offs while you are getting settled with a newborn

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

Trying to get this clear in my mind.

From what I can make out.
    Parents leave was created from Nov 19 @ 2 weeks for each parent.
    To appease the Covid mother's cry for extended maternity leave, they have now increased it 5 weeks for both parents, to include all babies born since Nov 19.
    It will be officially written into the budget for 2021 at the new rate of 5 weeks.

Am I right?

My baby is due in December, so by my reckoning I'll be able to take the 5 weeks next year?

Shelli2 wrote: »
    Trying to get this clear in my mind.

From what I can make out.
    Parents leave was created from Nov 19 @ 2 weeks for each parent.
    To appease the Covid mother's cry for extended maternity leave, they have now increased it 5 weeks for both parents, to include all babies born since Nov 19.
    It will be officially written into the budget for 2021 at the new rate of 5 weeks.

Am I right?

My baby is due in December, so by my reckoning I'll be able to take the 5 weeks next year?

I am not sure the end date for the babies.
    If it’s Parents’ leave I am guessing all babies after Nov 2019 will be entitled to it.

The extension of parents’ leave was always on the cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Shelli2

I am not sure the end date for the babies.
    If it’s Parents’ leave I am guessing all babies after Nov 2019 will be entitled to it.

The extension of parents’ leave was always on the cards.

I don't think there will be an end date?

Budget 21 will be written in October so from what I read the 5wks will be officially written in at that stage.

Shelli2 wrote: »
    I don't think there will be an end date?

Budget 21 will be written in October so from what I read the 5wks will be officially written in at that stage.

I read somewhere it was babies born from 1st Nov 2019-pandemic.
    I don’t think the Government even know themselves tbh!
    I think it will be for all babies after 1st Nov 2019 regardless of covid situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

So this is Parents leave that seems to be a new leave that was created in 2019 and it was 2 weeks and being extended to 5 weeks now.
    Did this leave replace Paternity Leave, which I used in 2017 when I had my 1st child?
    Looking at this site, both of these leaves still exist https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html.

Is that right? If so could I claim both?

• Advertisement

So this is Parents leave that seems to be a new leave that was created in 2019 and it was 2 weeks and being extended to 5 weeks now.
    Did this leave replace Paternity Leave, which I used in 2017 when I had my 1st child?
    Looking at this site, both of these leaves still exist https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/leave_and_holidays/parents_leave.html.

Is that right? If so could I claim both?

Yes you get 2 weeks paternity leave and then there’s 5 weeks parents leave you can avail of if your baby was born in the timeframe I believe.

Advertisement