Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Albums without a single bad track on them

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I just thought of another one: Mind Bomb by The The. No filler, no dud, all tracks are at least good and some are more than that!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I think I would have to say, The Best of the Beatles :)

Air - Moon Safari

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭justincasey

In no particular order

The horrors primary colours
    Jeff Buckley Grace
    Lou Reed transformer
    Lauren hill miseduction
    The strokes is this it
    Bruce Springsteen born to run
    The fall hex endiction hour

To name but a few ..

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭dmn22

The XX - XX

• Registered Users Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭littlevillage

Very, very few studio Albums are all killer, no filler. But these five are pretty damned close. In fact in all cases these studio Albums are on a par or superior to "Best of...." compilations by the artist.

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
    Leonard Cohen - I'm your man
    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
    The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

• Advertisement

The Velvet Underground.

Exile on Main St.

In The Aeroplane Over The Sea.

Some were meant for sea.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Jeff Buckley Grace
    The Cure Disintegration
    Pearl Jam Ten
    REM Automatic for the People
    Alice in Chains Dirt
    Velvet Underground Banana Album
    Tom Waits Closing Time
    Lana del Rey Born to Die
    The Stone Rose's The Stone Rose's
    Primal Scream Screamadelica

Some were mentioned already. Might come up with more

Joni Mitchell Blue
    Jimi Hendrix The Ultimate Experience
    The Doors Best of the Doors

• Closed Accounts Posts: 386 ✭✭radiata

Mercury Rev - Deserters Songs
    Flaming Lips - Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots
    LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver
    Prodigy - Music For the Jilted Generation
    Snoop Doggy Dogg - Doggystyle

Very, very few studio Albums are all killer, no filler. But these five are pretty damned close. In fact in all cases these studio Albums are on a par or superior to "Best of...." compilations by the artist.

Bruce Springsteen - Born in the USA
    Leonard Cohen - I'm your man
    Meatloaf - Bat out of Hell
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill
    The Waterboys - Fisherman's Blues

Got my hands on those two albums. I was disappointed with the album Born in the USA. I would say I was not mad about half of the tracks. In relation to Fisherman's Blues, it's not perfect either.

I know quite a few songs from Bat out of Hell and the only track I really like is the title track!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I supposed the thing with the Bat out of Hell album, it is meant to be sort of an off Broadway theatrical sort of thing. Not too dissimilar to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Todd Rundgren cut out a lot of stuff from it in an effort to have it more musically focused.

I don't think I saw Moby's Play come up? Hotel is also a good one to go through by him.

• Advertisement

I supposed the thing with the Bat out of Hell album, it is meant to be sort of an off Broadway theatrical sort of thing. Not too dissimilar to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. Todd Rundgren cut out a lot of stuff from it in an effort to have it more musically focused.

I don't think I saw Moby's Play come up? Hotel is also a good one to go through by him.

In my opinion, Play by Moby is a very good album. There was literally one track on it that I did not like - came very close!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Orange Tiny Terror

Oasis what’s the story morning glory
    Stone roses the stone roses
    Primal Scream screamadelica
    U2 all that you can’t leave behind
    The strokes is this it
    The stands all years leaving
    The La’s the la’s
    Cast all change
    Beatles rubber soul
    Led Zeppelin III
    Travis good feeling and the man who
    Ocean Colour Scene moseley shoals

Yeah, would agree on Moby - Play. Here's another 2 where you hardly find a dud track.

Stone Roses - Stone Roses
    David Gray - White Ladder

Got my hands on those two albums. I was disappointed with the album Born in the USA. I would say I was not mad about half of the tracks. In relation to Fisherman's Blues, it's not perfect either.

I know quite a few songs from Bat out of Hell and the only track I really like is the title track!

Thanks for the reply Declan, all I can say is I'm disappointed that you were disappointed. Doesn't change my opinion though...and maybe that's the beauty of art, everybody doesn't necessarily like the same stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Radio K.A.O.S
    Roger Waters, 1987

RogerWaters-album-radiokaos.jpg

Rogers himself admitted in later years he didn't like it, but I still think it's great.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

Miles Davis Bitches Brew

• Registered Users Posts: 16,517 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Pearl Jam, Ten

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

Delighted to see Rattlesnakes, and Steve McQueen mentioned. Both just about flawless. Most albums I love tend to have at least one track I could do without. Example, Teenage Fanclubs Grand Prix is pretty damn perfect, except for Hardcore/Ballad.(I'd still include it in my list though, the rest more than compensates.)
    Songs From Northern Britain by the Fannies is very consistent too.
    Fables of the Reconstruction is my favourite REM album, hard to think of a weak track on it.
    Three absolute classics by the Trashcan Sinatras, Cake, I've Seen Everything, and Weightlifting.
    Also delighted to see The Revenants Horse of a Different Colour mentioned. I'd add Sacred Heart Hotel and Speak Slowly by the Stars of Heaven, best Irish band ever.
    Its a Shame about Ray by the Lemonheads is fairly flawless too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭JDigweed

Oasis - What's the story morning glory. One quality track after another. 90s defined, we've all belted out Wonderwall or Don't look back in anger at a night out at some stage.

Prodigy - Experience. The gold standard for 90s dance albums.

Keane - Hopes and Fears. An underatted band imo.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,997 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

JDigweed wrote: »
    Oasis - What's the story morning glory. One quality track after another. 90s defined, we've all belted out Wonderwall or Don't look back in anger at a night out at some stage.

I'd have to agree here. I was never an Oasis fan, but that album is brilliant from start to finish. I don't like any of their other music*, only that album, and it's great.

*the only other Oasis music I like is that song D'ya Know what I mean, and perhaps F**kin in the Bushes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

REM Automatic for the People

Not a patch on Green.
    Jimi Hendrix The Ultimate Experience
    The Doors Best of the Doors

Compilations clearly don't count. Anybody with a decent back catalogue can cut out the filler and put together a good compilation. This is about albums with no filler in the first place.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭larva

I dont really listen to much music anymore but I have a soft spot for music I did listen to when growing up, that would be metal.

Iron Maiden is kinda where it all started

Probably not considered their best but personally my favourite maiden album it even gives a great history lessons just check out Alexander the Great!

After getting into Maiden it snowballed I got into Metallica Slayer and just when I thought it couldnt get any louder I stumbled across this

and then inevitably I found some more

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭supernova5

The Doors - The Doors [debut album] simply magnificent

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭parttime

Precedes Leftism & Homework by a few years, but nonetheless excellent electronica. (one blip on an otherwise perfect album is The Anchor Song, but it's allowed based on teh strength of every other track).

Bjork - Debut

Funnily enough, it's one of my favourites on the album.

Also, Hounds of Love, anybody?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Not a patch on Green.

Compilations clearly don't count. Anybody with a decent back catalogue can cut out the filler and put together a good compilation. This is about albums with no filler in the first place.

I prefer Automatic which is why I mentioned it. Fair enough about the compilations.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,749 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Hounds of Love definitely. An album of two brilliant halves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

J. S. Bach's Greatest Hits.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭ArrBee

Mr Meanor wrote: »
    Radio K.A.O.S
    Roger Waters, 1987

RogerWaters-album-radiokaos.jpg

Rogers himself admitted in later years he didn't like it, but I still think it's great.

Prefer pros and cons of hitchhiking myself.
    Also very unacclaimed but I love the whole album.

My additions:
    -gish or Siamese dream. smashing pumpkins. Not sure which would clinch it.
    -angle dust. Faith no more.
    -misplaced childhood, and probably fugazi. Marillion.
    -Vol 4, black Sabbath

Plenty of others that i love the whole album but maybe not are more compositions.

Can't believe some have listed live albums or best ofs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,917 ✭✭✭trashcan

I prefer Automatic which is why I mentioned it. Fair enough about the compilations.

I'd prefer Automatic over Green too. But neither of them come close to the first 5 albums in my view. My personal favourite is Fables of the Reconstruction, then Murmer, Reckoning, lifes Rich Pageant and Document. I like lots of R.E.M. stuff after that, but the later albums are a lot more patchy for me. Particularly after Automatic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Out of time and Monster are strong REM albums either side of Automatic, which is a bit of a downer in comparison. Probably due to (the still very good) Everybody hurts and Nightswimming.

Great thread btw

Advertisement