Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Forbidden West (Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel) PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,849 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Covered elsewhere but marking it here because it may well have some big knock on effects on the next game.

Rest in peace, Lance.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 jobrien874ie

Seen a video from Guerilla Games that confirms that Burning Shores is set after Forbidden West, not like Frozen Wilds which was set about 2/3rds of the way during Zero Dawn. So decided to plough through and finish off FW, and while I'm sure a lot of it is to do with me playing Story mode, breezed through it pretty quickly. A couple of elite blast bombs took care of that Zenith that killed Varl and a lot of the machines were already dead going through. No doubt if I had been playing at a higher level those machines probably wouldn't have been dead yet.

Not a massive gamer so Platinum doesn't matter to me, what matters is how much I have loved this game. I could spend hours just flying around either by bird or by campfire exploring this beautiful landscape. The music is top notch and I even have it on in the background as I go about my day. Agree that the story went a bit meh towards the end, especially once the Quen are introduced. If they came by boat over what we know as the Pacific ocean, you'd kind of expect them to have a more Asian look to them. I'm sure I was supposed to fight the guards as I'm leaving Ted Faros volcano home but eff that, every man for himself.

One final factor that was missing is the control over Aloy's response to conversations. I think we only had 4 instances of choosing the brain, fist or heart options in replying to situations.

But, overall this felt like an interactive James Cameron epic movie and I loved it.

Naturally I'm sad that Lance Reddick has passed away and can no longer portray Sylens but I think David Harewood is a decent shout to take over if he voices him like his Supergirl character.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭farreca

Could have done with a couple of spoiler tags in there

• Advertisement

The game's been out over a year now. I think anyone this far into the thread has done platinum by now or at least got up past Wings of the Ten

• Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Nope. But at the same time I expect spoilers at this point. Not sure why I'm even still checking this... I'll get back to it. Eventually...

And for myself at least, I read that and it means feck all to me. I know by the time I get to these parts I'll have completely forgotten the words I read. Probably a bit more understandable if you're further into the game than I was. Probably still no harm for spoiler tags at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Registered Users Posts: 33,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Oh god, I was looking forward to the DLC until this just reminded me about the swimming in the game....

Kinda getting into this lately. Short bursts. Haven't done anything swimming yet, nor flying. Feel like I've been playing for ages but still getting nowhere, and locking out tallnecks is a crappy move. But I'm slowly getting into it again. Have to give them kudos for crafting something with such high quality. It's visually stunning, the interactions are the most realistic in any game I've played (not taking the content of the conversations into account, just the movements). The combat is meaty and enjoyable when it works. But my gawd it's big. And full of repetitive activities. I feel it would benefit from being more like GoW, but then it wouldn't be Horizon.

• Advertisement

Definitely into this now. My only real complaint is how slow it is to move as Aloy in general. Unless you're on a mount, it's far too slow. She needs like a hoverboard or something. Swimming is grand, now that she can breathe (somehow). Locations are stunning, especially Vegas after you light it up. Still have about 35% of the map covered, haven't been far west yet. My side job ocd is strong and I'm already overpowered for most missions, which tbh is grand as while the combat is fun, it gets samey. Gimme me damn flying already!

Also, the fast travel system. Free from fires, but costs a travel pack otherwise, but the travel packs are so simple to make you should never be without them so it seems kinda pointless.

Are they adding blocking and parrying? Because while I'm enjoying the combat, the fighting pits really show how poor the melee system really is. Got to The Enduring, and the lack of block and parry are frustratingly evident with the BS fight. It's actually putting a downer on it for me.

I've no idea if I'm near end game, I feel like I am but still no fecking flying so don't know really. I tried to Google when it would happen, and when I got to a death spoiler I stopped (not that this characters death will have any impact on me). It's a good game, but the more you play it the more you see the rough edges. For all the solid work in making it look amazing, they still need some work on the movement in general. I thought they might have patched the initial complaints of Aloy being slow as fook to get up. Nope. Her climbing is erratic at times. Mounted movement is frustrating at times, just randomly stopping because of a twig or something in the way, getting stuck. And the jump animation could be a lot smoother from running. I will say that this is only a small part of the overall experience, but it sticks out.

I'm gonna stick with it, as I am still enjoying it, issues aside. But it could also get quickly dropped if something else tickles my endorphins first.

What's your current main mission? , I'll be able to tell how far you are by that

• Registered Users Posts: 23,114 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Just started it. Gorgeous game and I'm only playing on a 32" HD tv on performance mode. Must be stunning in 4K.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Those pit challenges are a bitch, I'm on the last one and I can't get the combos right to save my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭jones

I never bothered with them at all in forbidden west as I hated them in zero dawn.

The dlc looks interesting I just have too much to play RE4, Deadspace, Hogwarts etc.

I think I found there's an issue with the button inputs displayed for some of those combos. Something like how the first button of the second string (eg. the first button of the second part of the combo) doesn't need to be pressed because the last input of the previous combo counts as the first button of the second part. Something stupid like that anyway, might be worth googling the one you're stuck on. There were one or two I couldn't get right to save my life but after googling it and following that instruction, worked very quickly.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Don't ask me how I did it but I just completed them there, I need a drink after that 😂😂 .

Now to fight the enduring.

Minor nitpick but it's annoying how you momentarily stop and crouch when looting. Just animate a hand going out and grabbing while you're moving instead of stopping the player.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,488 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Another nitpick,why the option is select one item or all? With unlimited space is there any reason to ever select only a few items?

Just a pointless additional button press.

Yeah I downloaded the game over the weekend to jump back in and re-familiarise myself in advance of the DLC. Completely forgot that she stops when picking up plants/sticks etc. I can understand it for looting downed enemies or chests etc, but for plants and stuff, man that's a sucky decision. At least she seems to talk to herself a bit less now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,118 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Isn’t there an option in the menu where you can turn off the pick-up item animation, or am I mixing up my games 😅

Maybe it was patched in after. Would have thought I'd have turned it off during initial playthrough. I know they patched in being able to reduce how much she talks to herself anyway.

Edit: Yeah, you're right. You can disable the pickup animation for minor items. Was patched in about 2 months after launch. I think I'd already platinumed HFW and was deep into Elden Ring at that stage.

Thanks to both. I never would've went looking for that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,600 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

I think in the Dunkey HFW video he explicitly mentions that issue, do they must have read his criticism, and others, loud and clear and fixed it.

Just about to do the Hephaestus mission. I believe Varl dies here, and it happens after that at some stage (so said the brief spoiler I read, but I stopped at the spoiler). I've all side missions done up to that point, so it's literally the next proper mission.

Definitely gonna turn off that animation. Does it work mounted too? And yeah, magic pockets that warp additional items to your storage, but not vice versa. Not much good having 800 of them in the stash! Now fix the little stall before jumping from running.

Enduring can still get fecked, although I just got my first Legendary outfit and it's quite a bit better than the purple one I was wearing, so maybe that'll help somewhat. Can get the health down to about 1/4, but it just goes too crazy then. The fact that her combo interrupt push takes about 1/5 of my health is stupid, but a big feck off swing of that weapon does less... Frustrating, so I haven't gone back. Will see how end-game goes, and if I'm up for finding the ultimate armor and then going back to the Enduring.

Good god that Enduring fight was awful, all those crappy stupid challenges for that? it wasn't even difficult or cool.

If it's the Gemini mission then you are not that far off from the end, only 3 or 4 missions I think.

Just loaded this up again in preparation for the DLC. Didn't realise I had a few errands and side quests left to do. Trying to get used to the combat again

• Advertisement

Yeah the animation gets turned off when mounted too. Was playing this evening. Absolute game changer. Looting etc still has an animation, but all the plants, resources etc just picked up straight away. Thank Christ...

Advertisement