Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horizon: Forbidden West (Horizon Zero Dawn Sequel) PS5

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

Such a great game this. Didn't play too much of it at first because Gran Turismo 7 was taking up all my time (Sony really should space their releases) but really getting into it now. I'm around level 20, maybe 50% of the map uncovered. Think it might be the best open world game out there, such a fascinating setting with strong lore and world building and a solid cast of characters. The combat is pretty much unlike anything else out there, some truly epic battles.

I do wonder if I'm using all the tools at my disposal though, I end up sticking with my trusty bows all the time, only really switching for different ammo types. I feel like I want to experiment with stuff like the ropecaster and tripcaster but haven't quite figured out how they should be used. I used the tripcaster once and the guy charging at me just jumped over it. I also invested in the override skill tree early on only to find out I don't meet the criteria to override anything I meet and haven't collected enough materials to build overrides yet. Also it seems you need to knock out a machine before you can override it, which seems almost more work than just killing it? In my head I figured I'd be able to override anything I could stealth kill, then let it run wild while I hide in the grass.

I only played through the early stages of HZD because life circumstances got in the way of playing at the time, so I think I've no context for a lot of the things the game assumes you know how to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,330 ✭✭✭✭Penn

To override machines, you need to unlock their overrides at Cauldrons (triangular-type symbols on the map once unlocked). You'll be able to unlock some machines directly, and with some you'll have to get some components from that type of machine to be able to override them. There are some machines like Chargers that you should already be able to override as those machines are from the previous game, but most of the machines in this game are variances of the last game with new names, and so need you to unlock the override again.

You will be able to override them from stealth too. Once they're not aggro to you, you can override them without having to have knocked them down. It's also the best way to do it as it means they'll be full health. I'd recommend focusing on the other skill tress for now though. Overriding machines helps, but only in some circumstances, and it wears off most machines after 30-60 seconds. You're better off even going more down the stealth tree to help make it easier to override machines from stealth.

Started back into this tonight, going to finish off everything for the platinum.

Getting back into the swing of things with regards controls. Only thing is I'm reminded of how frustrating it can be to try hit a tiny canister on the underside of a giant machine that's flipping about like Simone Biles on a trampoline.

Platinumed last night. Didn't take long, thankfully not a lot of collectibles trophies but rather you just need one or two of each type. Mostly just had to do a few side missions to get up to level 50 for the last trophy. I seemed to have bad luck in that I picked up small side missions that seemed easy and usually ended with having to fight some of the toughest machines. One mission I even took down a Thunderjaw, and straight away a f*cking Stormbird arrived.

It's a shame that Horizon has once again been overshadowed by another game. It's a great game, the franchise has great potential, the world they've created is magnificent, and it may not get everything right but it doesn't do anything inherently wrong either (well, except the mount races, those can f*ck right off). As great as the graphics are though, they need to get rid of lens flare and tone down some of the shading or something. Some areas are blindingly bright. And it can be difficult to see in snowing areas as the sheer level of particle effects from the slow snowfall are hugely distracting.

• Registered Users Posts: 733 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Finished this , this evening. A few trophies off the platinum but I think I will leave it off.

Jesus the plot for me was terrible in comparison to the first one the last third act , and the reveal of nemesis , very disappointing. I enjoyed the game but feel overall the story was very much a letdown just was all over the shop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Still chipping away, disappointed that the levelling is capped at 50 though. Have done all cauldrons, think I have all tall necks, have all black boxes, 1 or 2 more ornaments to collect.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,886 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved it but I absolutely despised that Alva character, wrecked every scene she was in at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Agreed 100%. By the end, it was just getting through it. I didn't have anywhere near the level of interest in the story, but still got the platinum and will still get the DLC. It was an 8/10 game - basically just Zero Dawn, but bigger and prettier - I will say load times were a pleasure though!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 farada

Enjoying this so far.

But I think I am experiencing a bug where I can’t use my bow or melee attack.

Was in a fight earlier and L2 wouldn’t aim and I couldn’t hit with R1 or R2 either. Just had to run around and dodge.

eventually just kept switching weapons and it came back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Satturnfalls

Good game but didnt blow me away like the first. Still very much enjoyed it tho

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭quokula

Completed this tonight. I thoroughly enjoyed it and got invested in the story but the ending was a disappointment for me.

I can live with them introducing a new threat to set up a sequel but the way the ending played out kind of nullified everything you did. You start the game trying to fix the ecosystem, you get sidetracked fighting the Zeniths, you eventually defeat them, but it turns out they were planning to leave anyway and you let Hephaestus go in the process, so by the end you haven't actually achieved anything and the problem you set out to fix at the start of the game is still present.

Hopefully we get some DLC that gives a more satisfying conclusion.

Aside from that though I enjoyed the story through the game. It's a fascinating world with well thought out lore, and the characters are all well written and acted. I always enjoyed the little interludes when I'd return to base and go around speaking to each member of the team to see what they've been up to.

The game says I'm at 45% total completion. I've done a fair amount of side quests and did a couple more after completing the game too. The standard of writing is usually pretty solid for those too so I'll probably continue to dip in and out. I have zero interest in the completionist stuff like rebel camps and ruins though, that kind of busywork is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭jones

I havent bought this yet but exams will be finished at the end of the month so i'll treat myself then. Its weird it seems to be a bit of a forgotten game already to my mind. Launched with massive praise and kinda vanished with Elden Ring seemingly stealing its limelight. I loved the first one and the DLC so pretty confident i'll love this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Hodors Applecart

Im on the Tilda boss now. Having a horrific time with it. I’ve very little resource for crafting etc.

I’ve a hard save from just before the Singularity mission so gonna go back to that and level up a bit more.

great game. Not as good as HZD, but then not many are 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Just got back to this after playing the first few hours just after it came out, before Elden Ring and Cyberpunk got in the way.

Is it just me or is it a bit harder than the first one? I have died a few times now. The machine's definitely seem a lot more aggressive anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

St. Patricks Day in Las Vegas. GOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,714 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Need help to find Tides Reach. Sick to my teeth of trying to get frostclaw sac webbing. Apparently there is a merchant. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,959 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

The errand quest Tides of Justice takes you there but I think you need to have Wings of the Ten completed 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

if you turn on Easy Loot and make sure to not destroy it's chest, you should get it when you kill one, that's what I do if trying to farm materials. I think a merchant at memorial grove could have them too.

• Advertisement

Finished the main story last night. Overall a brilliant game. Preferred the first one though.

Storyline, as with the first one, is a bit of a convoluted mess and there is too much dialogue (happily easily skipped).

Door wide open for a part 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Really enjoying the game but getting really pissed off at how many items are blocked off by not having the correct tool. It seems very excessive in this game. There is a tallneck I can't override despite the fact I have already done almost everything in the vicinity of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Im selling my copy of this on adverts currently, PS4 version with the PS5 upgrade. Have it on for €50 but happy to apply a boardsie bonus and let it go for €40 posted within ROI.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭recyclops

Starting this tonight and going in with expectations low so let's see how we go.

About 4 hours in now and it's so paint by numbers it's really y hard to enjoy.

Sony really have a template for first party games it's becoming tiresome now. Will keep at it but something needs to change quickly or it'll never be finished.

I just don't see this as something that would sell a console if it was multiplat it'd be as well regarded as immortals fenyx rising.

It does look glorious though.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,849 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I get the same feeling, stunning looking game, some of the best dialogue facial mocap, gameplay just as good as the first, new interesting ideas, swimming, etc. But, I just can't keep going. I feel like I've done it already. I've every intention of getting back to this at some point, but I'm not pushed right now.

You mention Immortals, which I found a joy to play, it was fun. It was still open world Ubi, but it was fun. I'm not getting the same from this. At least, not right now. Saying that, I did just drop 41+ hours into Dysmantle, so maybe I'm finally getting that open world burn people are talking about, even though Dysmantle is open world!

Yeah immortals while being an generic as this and majority of open world games it was fun and didn't take itself seriously.

If it was a Sony exclusive I honestly believe it would be held in much higher regard. Gets a tough rep as its a ass creed reskin, but I view this as a reskin of the original horizon, which was copied by days gone and tushima, they all look amazing but just are so copy and paste its really annoying. Sony need to take a step back and really utilise their IPs (like they did with GoW) or kill them

Climbing in this is no different to uncharted and that's what 10 years old, you can nearly tell which yellow ledges will pretend to collapse 😂😂

I have tried to get into this but it really should just be called horizon forgettable West.

I just can't be pushed onwards its just nothing new and anything it does we have seen before. Amazed development took as long as it did as its so similar to the first.

It does look amazing but thought the haptic were unnoticeable even after turning them on, tried to run as far west as possible once out of the training area but it stopped me so that's the prime time to stop playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,895 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Late to the game, played Zero Dawn last year and loved it, held out on Forbidden West until I got my hands on a PS5, bought the game with the console and have loved it as much. One question though, is there any way to clean up the traps wheel, I'm right up to the point where Aloy gathers everyone at the beach looking at the Zenith island, am putting the game on hold until the Burning Shores DLC comes out as having completed Frozen Wilds really helped out finishing Zero Dawn, but it's so frustrating to have to cycle through blast, shock, acid then advanced blast, shock and acid and then elite blast shock and acid, plus whatever "food" you purchased just so you can call a mount or throw a frigging rock.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Hold down on the d-pad to remove stuff.

Advertisement