Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭mick087

Overheal wrote: »
    Reality shows led to Trump. People thought the scripted persona he played on NBC was the potus they would be getting. Sheesh. Won’t mind when they fall out :mad:of fashion.

Yes yes he was thats so true. Im not a fan of him and he wouldnt get my vote. But this how TV is going reality in politics, health services etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭PhantomHat

circadian wrote: »
    You have a choice to work and where to work, largely. A choice of where to live, to live alone or with friend, family or significant other. You have opportunities to improve and better yourself.

Christ, I can't believe I'm responding to such drivel.

I don't think he was being 100% serious

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I think I will have one last look at my Alf Garnett DVDs before I start the bonfire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Who can watch today the scene where Leslie Howard returns home to Olivia de Havilland at the end of the war (the prolonged arms outstretched race down the entrance path-- "Ash-lay! Ash-lay! Ash-lay"--into each others arms) without sniggering uncontrollably?

Challenge issued! :)

Edit: and at the moment of writing, Olivia de Havilland is STILL alive and three weeks away from her 104th birthday! They built them to last in those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

just heard tv show Vikings has been cancelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

They'll be cancelling fr Ted next for doing his impression of a Chinaman

For the love of God stop giving these idiots ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

...Runs off the the old dusty 1980's VHS box in attic.
    Prepare buyers, for dozens of new listings, of 'soon to be outlawed' (and suddenly collectable!), up on yon Ebay.

fly_agaric wrote: »
    True...having some trigger warning/"now kids, this is an old film made when people were ignorant, unlike us today with our god-like perspective!" is a bit sad though.
    Like "Warning - contents are hot!" on cups of takeaway coffee and tea, but nowhere near as bad as just removing it for good.

(now that I think of it did that idea sort of come from the USA also/worries about being sued over customers burning themselves??)

Just more Nanny state bull****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

Overheal wrote: »
    “Canceled” ie. They will put a disclaimer ahead of the film that it was a product of its time.

Not shocking nor that contentious. Warner Bros already did the same for a lot of its properties.

Liberal activist 101 playbook, keep downplaying everything! They might not notice as time progresses that our ultra liberal dystopian dreams are coming to fruition.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Africans aren't deciding

Hipster dickbags are

Stupid self-indulgent spoiled brats thinking everything is wrong and it's their right to fix it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Jaysus, it's been temporarily removed from a US streaming service and is going to be put back on it with some kind of blurb before the movie.

I have no idea why that upsets so many people here. Are ye just looking for something to be outraged about?
    I've never watched Gone with the Wind and don't think I ever will regardless of this news.
    I'd say most people here know nothing about the film too.

Africans aren't deciding

Hipster dickbags are

Stupid self-indulgent spoiled brats thinking everything is wrong and it's their right to fix it.

I agree with the Hipsters are deciding and are spoiled, but as for calling them names will just fill there guns with ammunition.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

In these situations I always see way more people angry about 'Snowflakes' and 'PC Brigade' or whatever stupid buzzword you prefer, then I do see people calling for things to be banned.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Africans aren't deciding

Hipster dickbags are

Racism against black people isn't something for black people to fix though, is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭peddlelies

vetinari wrote: »
    Jaysus, it's been temporarily removed from a US streaming service and is going to be put back on it with some kind of blurb before the movie.

I have no idea why that upsets so many people here. Are ye just looking for something to be outraged about?
    I've never watched Gone with the Wind and don't think I ever will regardless of this news.
    I'd say most people here know nothing about the film too.

It's not about some specific qualm, it's a symptom or example of a much bigger problem. You already know that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭THE_SHEEP

In honour of BLM tonight I will watch 'Birth of a Nation'.

I was actually going to watch " Blazing Saddles " in their honour .

Quote : " The sheriff is a N.......... " .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

Can we round up a bunch of the "so outraged censorship is the only way" people. Hire a cinema and lock them in it and play Married With Children for start to finish.

Weird how liberals are totally ok with censorship these days.

And yet they're quick to call everyone else Nazis and Fascists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

peddlelies wrote: »
    It's not about some specific qualm, it's a symptom or example of a much bigger problem. You already know that though.

So which is the much bigger problem:

That some people want to confront the subject of racism in our popular culture by putting a note in front of it to explain the context.

Or

That some people don't want to confront the subject of subject of racism in our popular culture at all, and claim those that do are censoring them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

peddlelies wrote: »

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about.
    Gone with the Wind isn't banned.
    Pretty much no old TV show or movie is banned.
    Some of them are viewed as inappropriate by today's standards.
    They're still NOT banned though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,986 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

A film that depicts racists as thick and they have to be saved by a black lad.

Good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

I'd be happy enough if they just took some philosophy classes, so they could learn some critical thinking.

Like...why does marxism never work? Is that racism or a poverty/ class issue? Can racism exist in a society that has high legal support for personal freedom?
    Can you criticise female competence and not be a misogynist? Does a strong will make you a fascist? Am I being manipulated by social media?

I guess its easier to follow the mob than to ponder these questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Weird how liberals are totally ok with censorship these days.

What has been banned or censored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

The League Of Gentleman has been removed from Netflix. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

In honour of BLM tonight I will watch 'Birth of a Nation'.

And during the intermission,you can sing along with the Hebrew Slaves (But it's OK,they're mainly white ;) )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VejTwFjwVI

Apparently it was composed by one of the Green's :eek:

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

It seems more and more people are anti choice these days.

Taking things down or away is a way of banning something on the quiet.
    This will only create demand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,093 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

If they're outraged about the segregation of hattie mcdaniel at the 1940 oscars ceremony all good for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭GolfNut33

Suppose, N*gger the black dog from The Dam Busters is for the cutting floor.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,557 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Remember don’t be a menace while drinking your juice in the hood. Classic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

THE_SHEEP wrote: »

Why not settle down to Agatha Christies Ten Little N××××

Advertisement