Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Gone with the Wind Cancelled

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 85,053 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It’s.a.comedy.

If you find offence in comedy there’s no hope for you.

Absolutely NOTHING should be off limits when it comes to comedy.

THat's a common excuse bad comedians use to justify lowest common denominator comedy. It makes you question the mindset of the comedian. Of the infinite number of topics they could choose for humour, they went for one that would stoke a reaction for all the wrong reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

On a slightly different tack, HBO are releasing a new batch of Looney Toons.

Elmer Fudd and Yosemite Sam, however, have had their guns removed. They will still attempt to slice, run over, explode, crush, or anything else they are trying to do to Bugs and company, but no firearms will be visible.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/elmer-fudd-yosemite-sam-guns/

Way to go with priorities, Yanks!!!

The Constitution guarantees the right of Wayne Cheeseburger-Ass and Gary MAGA-Hat to prance about on the steps of local government offices with loaded automatic rifles whining about their rights being infringed but it don't say nothing about cartoon characters so it's fine to take THEIR guns away!!!

Well that's a game changer :eek:

meanwhile American cops still shoot about 1,000 people DEAD every year, and that's not counting those deaths that ensue from over exuberant choke holds, neck kneels, and good old fashioned kickings but hey, as long as Elmer Fudd can't shoot anyone.........:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Joe Columbo

faceman wrote: »
    THat's a common excuse bad comedians use to justify lowest common denominator comedy. It makes you question the mindset of the comedian. Of the infinite number of topics they could choose for humour, they went for one that would stoke a reaction for all the wrong reasons.

Who gets to decide what should and should not be censored?

If jokes are in really poor taste then generally the comedian would lose popularity and not be as successful, popularity tends to be greatest censor of all and people get to decide it themselves not some arbitrary group of people.

Censorship is just a method of controlling how people think and should be opposed by any sensible individuals.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,649 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If jokes are in really poor taste then generally the comedian would lose popularity and not be as successful, popularity tends to be greatest censor of all and people get to decide it themselves not some arbitrary group of people.

Censorship is just a method of controlling how people think and should be opposed by any sensible individuals.

Just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should. Are you suggesting that controversial comedy is the key to success? That makes no sense. Maybe I’m misinterpreting your point.

The suggestion that censorship can be used as a control can be argued both way. At the moment certain types of comedy are adding to the issue of racism being acceptable. We shouldn’t need censorship to tackle. As a society we should do better not to create the content in the first place

• Advertisement

People do decide for themselves but corporations are also people. They can choose to host content or not. If it’s not popular with them they are not required to be party to it. That isn’t censorship.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

1) Thank you for enlightening me about the new Linfield shirt. Keeping up to date with the latest kit issues of any of the "Blues Brothers" is not a top priority for me so I was totally unaware of it.

2) A UVF flag on a Linfield shirt is a very different statement than Cork people having a bit of crack with a "rebel" flag. Linfield fans usually mean it when they praise the UVF. As I said before, Cork fans flying the "Rebel" flag intend no more correlation than the word rebel. And anyway, they will probably leave any such flags at home without quibble. That's not the hill they're going to die on.

How important is all this posey stuff? Not very

Well, they refused to stop for at least a decade after first being asked to.

I assume you'd be alright with it if American football fans were waving UVF flags then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,494 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Ok well tell me what topics shouldn’t be made fun of?

I’m interested.

Just because we can do something doesn’t mean we should. Are you suggesting that controversial comedy is the key to success? That makes no sense. Maybe I’m misinterpreting your point.

The suggestion that censorship can be used as a control can be argued both way. At the moment certain types of comedy are adding to the issue of racism being acceptable. We shouldn’t need censorship to tackle. As a society we should do better not to create the content in the first place

Banning TV programmes, films ,comedy etc won't stop people being racist people just like to think it but in reality it does nothing if anything it aids popularity of such things by turning the creators in to martyrs.

Again who should get to decide what gets banned.

Maybe I could ask for the Beer Baron episode of The Simpsons to be banned and start a campaign because of it's derogatory depictions of Irish culture.It's as legitimate a complaint as numerous others are (although it's probably my favourite episode of the simpsons).

This is a country that has a history of censoring things and look at how pathetic that was so it's baffling how anybody from Ireland could be in favour of censorship.

Nobody should have any right to tell another adult what they should or should not watch,read or listen to.If you don't like something thing just don't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Overheal wrote: »
    I thought most tech had moved away from those monikers.

I was watching Countdown last night, and the crucial countdown conundrum was "whitelist" it was a recent episode, but was probably filmed months ago. (Edit: just looked it up, first broadcast 29/05/2018, with Barry McGuigan in Dictionary Corner)
    you'd wonder if it would pass the 'censors' these days, or if those letters came out during a normal round, would contestants feel under pressure not to declare a 9 letter word....

tumblr_lie2bzejzt1qzx2tpo1_400.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

I was watching Countdown last night, and the crucial countdown conundrum was "whitelist" it was a recent episode, but was probably filmed months ago.
    you'd wonder if it would pass the 'censors' these days, or if those letters came out during a normal round, would contestants feel under pressure not to declare a 9 letter word....

Do you remember this one?

I was watching Countdown last night, and the crucial countdown conundrum was "whitelist" it was a recent episode, but was probably filmed months ago. (Edit: just looked it up, first broadcast 29/05/2018, with Barry McGuigan in Dictionary Corner)

You've just made me think of the scene from Malcom X where they go through the dictionary and look up every "white-" word and every "black-" word - most every black word in English having sinister connotations and white words having innocent ones.

Ok well tell me what topics shouldn’t be made fun of?

I’m interested.
    Banning TV programmes, films ,comedy etc won't stop people being racist people just like to think it but in reality it does nothing if anything it aids popularity of such things by turning the creators in to martyrs.

Again who should get to decide what gets banned.

Maybe I could ask for the Beer Baron episode of The Simpsons to be banned and start a campaign because of it's derogatory depictions of Irish culture.It's as legitimate a complaint as numerous others are (although it's probably my favourite episode of the simpsons).

This is a country that has a history of censoring things and look at how pathetic that was so it's baffling how anybody from Ireland could be in favour of censorship.

Nobody should have any right to tell another adult what they should or should not watch,read or listen to.If you don't like something thing just don't watch it.

The fact that people are more irate at the shows being pulled than the issue that triggered all this highlights a massive problem.

This isn't about censorship.

You've just made me think of the scene from Malcom X where they go through the dictionary and look up every "white-" word and every "black-" word - most every black word in English having sinister connotations and white words having innocent ones.

None of which have anything to do with skin colour of course.

The fact that people are more irate at the shows being pulled than the issue that triggered all this highlights a massive problem.

It is about censorship, that's what the entire thread is about,

In a sensible society nobody should have the right to tell an adult what they can and cannot watch,read or listen to.

sure

It is about censorship, that's what the entire thread is about,

In a sensible society nobody should have the right to tell an adult what they can and cannot watch,read or listen to.

This is what white privilege looks like

What an unbelievably moronic comment.

sure
    good article here

https://www.grammarphobia.com/blog/2009/12/the-light-and-dark-of-language.html
    The metaphors in question aren’t Western notions, either. From what I’ve been able to find out, they’ve been around since the beginning of time, when people first became aware of the division of their world into day and night, light and dark.
    Joseph Campbell, writing in the journal Daedalus in 1959, says it was the Persian philosopher Zoroaster (circa 600 BC) who put the seal on the concept of darkness being evil.

For what it’s worth, we don’t believe that metaphors identifying lightness as positive and darkness as negative are inherently racist. They certainly didn’t begin that way, though these negative connotations have certainly fed into and reinforced racism over the centuries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Book burning, thats all this stuff is. Utterly grotesque.

• Advertisement

Book burning, thats all this stuff is. Utterly grotesque.

No it isn't. Books are burned to erase them. HBO putting a note in front of an old movie about cultural insensitivity doesn't even approach book burning.

What an unbelievably moronic comment.

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why racism and white privilege in your opinion is not relevant to the conversation?

it's all-right lads, we've been given a pass...

banks_inbred_insta.jpg

Perhaps you could enlighten us as to why racism and white privilege in your opinion is not relevant to the conversation?

Because the thread is about censorship.

People have no right to tell other adults what they should or should not watch read or listen to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

I remember Carol Voderman pulling out the letters in this order FONDLE. Red faces all round. No need to read the mind of every male viewer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

No it isn't. Books are burned to erase them. HBO putting a note in front of an old movie about cultural insensitivity doesn't even approach book burning.

Whatever you say, comrade.

Because the thread is about censorship.

People have no right to tell other adults what they should or should not watch read or listen to.

So you’re saying that the root cause, racism, is irrelevant to the conversation?

I rest my case.

So you’re saying that the root cause, racism, is irrelevant to the conversation?

I rest my case.

People can choose to censor things for themselves.They feel they are going to be offended by something they can choose not to watch the film or TV show.They have no right to stop me from enjoying something the way it was intended if that is what I want.

People who want to censor stuff pretend they are doing it for everybody's good but secretly their just pathetic Mary Whitehouse types who want to poke their nose into other peoples business and interfere with their enjoyment.Episodes of comedy shows have been removed because they might cause offence so Ilm being stopped from having the opportunity to view something because someone else doesn't like it.

Censorship for adults is a bad thing simple as that.

I only saw this now.

You win, I’m dying, very very funny post.

You are joking yeah?

• Advertisement

Uncle Bens rice brand now gone too. They’re only hurting themselves at this point. That’s another black lad on the social now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

There are a lot of people on twitter absolutely spitting at the idea that parts of Father Ted could be taken from the airwaves.

And the only mentions of this happening at all are from the people who are spitting angry at the thought of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

Well, they refused to stop for at least a decade after first being asked to.

I assume you'd be alright with it if American football fans were waving UVF flags then.

I'd be flattered if there were ANY American football fans who knew who the bloody hell the UVF were in the first place.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,676 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

Uncle Bens rice brand now gone too. They’re only hurting themselves at this point. That’s another black lad on the social now.

Who is injured by getting rid of these cringeworthy brands?

silverharp wrote: »

:D stretching things far now. Suppose Link has to put down the master sword? Which is about mastery of swordsmanship, not subjugation.

• Advertisement

Who is injured by getting rid of these cringeworthy brands?

Wtf are you on about with cringey brands? Do you want grey bland boxes of everything like the cigarette brands?

Who's it hurting to have a pic of Uncle Ben on a brand?!

Do you not see how nuts this is.

Yeah black people and their rice huh? Doesnt get more stereotypical than that does it, when I think of rice I automatically think of an old black man.

This is insane.

Wtf are you on about with cringey brands? Do you want grey bland boxes of everything like the cigarette brands?

Yeah black people and their rice huh? Doesnt get more stereotypical than that does it, when I think of rice I automatically think of an old black man.

This is insane.

African Americans. But you knew that. Nobody held a gun to the company’s head, they made their own decision to pull it. So did Land O’ Lakes earlier this year, their depiction of a Native American woman, weeks before George Floyd’s death.

Hindsight... is 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Me earlier when I heard The Guardian was founded by a slave owner......

https://tenor.com/view/bad-dancing-david-brent-gif-8193002

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

People can choose to censor things for themselves.They feel they are going to be offended by something they can choose not to watch the film or TV show.They have no right to stop me from enjoying something the way it was intended if that is what I want.

People who want to censor stuff pretend they are doing it for everybody's good but secretly their just pathetic Mary Whitehouse types who want to poke their nose into other peoples business and interfere with their enjoyment.Episodes of comedy shows have been removed because they might cause offence so Ilm being stopped from having the opportunity to view something because someone else doesn't like it.

Nothing has been censored. If the BBC or HBO decide to show something or not show something that is not censorship.
    Real censorship used to exist in Ireland, certain books films etc were actually illegal.

You can still legally view all kinds of stuff or say all kinds legally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

All this cosmetic "corporate" stuff going on in the US re BLM (as posted on this thread)...

Some joke as we all know there's quite a nasty, grasping fist right underneath that velvet glove they are now supposedly handling "POCs" feelings with.

Something tells me priorities are badly out of whack over there, observing the whole thing makes me wish the Atlantic was a bit wider, maybe with a wall in the middle.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    Nothing has been censored. If the BBC or HBO decide to show something or not show something that is not censorship.
    Real censorship used to exist in Ireland, certain books films etc were actually illegal.

You can still legally view all kinds of stuff or say all kinds legally.

It's corporate rather than government censorship, and it has a similar effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

This is insane.

Honestly, there is no hope for some people. Mr. Tayto will be next. In the future they will look back on this cancel culture by the left as a kin to book burning from the Nazis. You won't be able to talk about history soon in case an English, Irish, German etc. person gets offended or 'triggered' by the content.

There is a cancer pervading our society and it needs to be stopped before it gets out of hand. Logic is out the window. Corporations also need to grow a set and stop pandering to those who make a career on the left about being outraged about absolutely everything.

Hindsight... is 2020.

thats a good one tho, fair play

African Americans. But you knew that. Nobody held a gun to the company’s head, they made their own decision to pull it. So did Land O’ Lakes earlier this year, their depiction of a Native American woman, weeks before George Floyd’s death.

Hindsight... is 2020.

You keep saying this is a good thing but you’ve yet to tell me why.

Answer me this.

What jokes can we not tell?
    What subjects are off limits?
    Why is it a good thing to remove uncle Ben?

You keep projecting this thought that it’s a good idea to remove certain tv shows and movies but you’ve yet to come up with a single reason why. Your logic is oh this movie portrayed a slave, yeah it should be removed. By that logic every tv show, every movie should be censored because it depicts something YOU don’t like.

Where does it end? Will we end up not being allowed say the word “black”? Because by your own logic that’s where it’s going. I’ll have to tell everyone i drive an African American coloured car. Ah Shur look we will get rid of colors altogether for ya.

You’re utterly insane, you need to come off whatever YouTube/twitter/social justice wormhole you’ve fallen down and look at reality.

The most mental most vocal people always attract the most attention and you’re one of them. Your screeches versus everyone else will carry the most weight. Wake up, come back to reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭Akesh

You keep saying this is a good thing but you’ve yet to tell me why.

Answer me this.

What jokes can we not tell?
    What subjects are off limits?
    Why is it a good thing to remove uncle Ben?

You keep projecting this thought that it’s a good idea to remove certain tv shows and movies but you’ve yet to come up with a single reason why. Your logic is oh this movie portrayed a slave, yeah it should be removed. By that logic every tv show, every movie should be censored because it depicts something YOU don’t like.

Where does it end? Will we end up not being allowed say the word “black”? Because by your own logic that’s where it’s going. I’ll have to tell everyone i drive an African American coloured car. Ah Shur look we will get rid of colors altogether for ya.

You’re utterly insane, you need to come off whatever YouTube/twitter/social justice wormhole you’ve fallen down and look at reality.

The most mental most vocal people always attract the most attention and you’re one of them. Your screeches versus everyone else will carry the most weight. Wake up, come back to reality.

There is no logic. There is no debate. There is no reason. This is their decision because it's 'offensive' (whatever that means in 2020).

This will end badly for those that assume they are authority on society. They are deluded. These are the same people who call themselves anti-fascists, who use fascist tactics to achieve their end goal. You honestly couldn't make it up and it's clear these people are incapable of reason or logic.

Society cannot continue down this path of pandering to the small minded.

You didn't answer my question. Why is it so difficult for you?

You didn't answer my question. Why is it so difficult for you?

Racism is irrelevant when it comes to any form of censorship of material intended for adults.You don't like something then don't watch it.That is how adults behave.Censoring films and tv shows is not going to stop people from being racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Life of Brian was banned for years in a number of countries including Ireland for blasphemy.

Conservative Ireland banned a lot of stuff. Conservative Britain too. Throughout the 70's, 80's and 90's Britain was the most censored nation on the planet with regards to entertainment and we followed suit.

People in Britain were jailed for having copies of crappy Italian zombie movies.

Fucking jailed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,549 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

o1s1n wrote: »
    A Clockwork Orange was actually pulled by Stanley Kubrick himself, nothing to do with censorship boards.

That's not quite the full story though. While it's true that Kubrick ended up pulling 'A Clockwork Orange', it was because he was getting hassle about cutting the movie from the British censor and other groups. That coupled with some violent attacks that happened in Britain, he just went sod it, and withdrew the film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Akesh wrote: »
    There is no logic. There is no debate. There is no reason. This is their decision because it's 'offensive' (whatever that means in 2020).

This will end badly for those that assume they are authority on society. They are deluded. These are the same people who call themselves anti-fascists, who use fascist tactics to achieve their end goal. You honestly couldn't make it up and it's clear these people are incapable of reason or logic.

Society cannot continue down this path of pandering to the small minded.

They are useful idiots.

Usually bereft of the ability to think for themselves, reacting to emotive arguments ....but most of all, they are in it for the social kudos, incapable of being comfortable in themselves, they need the definitions, they crave the attention...they lack purpose, it's like a cult rooted in narcissism.

They hate non believers....as well as reason and logic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement