Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars 2020 Missions

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

JJayoo wrote: »
    So if the lander had crashed and the mission was a complete failure they wouldn't try again? I mean if the modest budget was all used up, just forget about mars and move on?

Yeah they would learn from their mistakes like they did with the Polar Lander in 1999.

Ya it's called a tree

Can you grow trees on Mars? You should ring NASA straight away with your epic scientific find!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Yeah they would learn from their mistakes like they did with the Polar Lander in 1999.

Ah soo the pot is endless, billion or so dollars down the drain feck it just try again

Can you grow trees on Mars? You should ring NASA straight away with your epic scientific find!

You said

"This technology could also have significant benefits on EARTH. Imagine being able to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and replace it with oxygen."

Look when you say something meme worthy it's usually best not to bring it up again.....head down move forward type job

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Descent and landing footage from 7pm tonight.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1363534955901579268

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

you can grow potato's have you seen The Martian

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

That is a FANTASTIC shot from the skycrane (queue the tinfoil-hatters saying it's too good :) ). Really hope the helicopter works and can't wait to see actual video. Amazing. Anyone have their name on it?

As for the "Why bother?" posts: Sure. I'm sure the first cavemen was told "Why go over that mountain range when we have all we want here?" Why cross the oceans and seas for thousands of years? Will I ever walk on Mars? Of course not. Might man walk on Mars in my lifetime? I'd like to think so. Mankind needs to explore. Needs to see what's over the horizon. Or we are just animals. What do you think the reaction would be if we discover 100% conclusive proof of past life on Mars? Even microbial? Two average planets around an average star. Will it usher in world peace? No. Will it solve world hunger? No. Cure disease? No. But should we down tools because of that? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Why are Irish people so hung up on how the American government uses American citizens tax payers money?

I think they would see a better return if they focused on how our own government uses ours.

You said

"This technology could also have significant benefits on EARTH. Imagine being able to remove carbon dioxide from the atmosphere and replace it with oxygen."

Look when you say something meme worthy it's usually best not to bring it up again.....head down move forward type job

You haven't a notion what you're on about. Like your no advances in technology nonsense. :D By the way have you rang NASA yet with your amazing science :pac:

Descent and landing footage from 7pm tonight.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/1363534955901579268

That's going to be awesome. As a reminder here's the decent video from Curiosity:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Why are Irish people so hung up on how the American government uses American citizens tax payers money?

I think they would see a better return if they focused on how our own government uses ours.

Exactly, it amuses me to see criticism of NASA's SLS launch system and its ever increasing costs. Nobody seems all that worried as to how efficient, effective and graft free is spending on space research in Russia, India or China, or are they?

Fritzbox wrote: »
    Exactly, it amuses me to see criticism of NASA's SLS launch system and its ever increasing costs. Nobody seems all that worried as to how efficient, effective and graft free is spending on space research in Russia, India or China, or are they?

But why should someone asking about cost cause such offense and people to act so defensively? Its a forum for people to chat/ask questions.

In relation to the helicopter do ye think they will try and get the biggest bang for their buck if they manage to get it flying? Meaning fly as far and for as long as possible while recording video as opposed to doing smaller trial flights, and can the helicopter transmit it's recordings directly or will it have to return to the rover?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,639 ✭✭✭✭josip

That's going to be awesome. As a reminder here's the decent video from Curiosity:

Did anyone else follow the heat shield's fall hoping for a Wily Coyote cloud of dust while doing the whistle in the background?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Ya it's called a tree

Best post ever

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Important to note the audio isn't the real deal there & it's super stabilized..

Can't wait to see the comparison in tonight's footage! Wonder if they were able to capture the sound to accompany it?

Between this and a potential flight of SN10 this week, plenty of distractions!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

But why should someone asking about cost cause such offense and people to act so defensively? Its a forum for people to chat/ask questions.

In relation to the helicopter do ye think they will try and get the biggest bang for their buck if they manage to get it flying? Meaning fly as far and for as long as possible while recording video as opposed to doing smaller trial flights, and can the helicopter transmit it's recordings directly or will it have to return to the rover?
    I don't think anyone is acting defensively. Just answering.

As far as the helicopter, they are going to great lengths to explain that this really is just a POC. Minimal scientific value this version. They have actually been quite vague about the specifics. I would imagine that it can't travel very far: Far enough to verify it actually works. But close enough to be in direct communication (few meters I'd say). But I don't know. Few cool shots from it of the rover from a distance and from the rover of it in the air (Which would look cool) I suppose.

Next versions will probably have larger transmitters but would still probably need to remain within line of sight for possible laser communication to base rover. I'm assuming the ultimate goal would be direct communication to MRO or future satellites to basically have a wheeled rover for sample analysis and a decent sized drone for images.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Fritzbox

Probably because such a discussion about the cost and value of space research has been done to death before and discussing it here on the "Mars 2020 Missions" thread is just derailing the discussion.

Funny you should ask. I was just watching this particular film on Youtube - might have all your answers.

I wonder could they ever try a balloon/cable system with a camera. I remember using helium balloons/300m fishing line/digital camera to get some 'drone' footage bout 15 years ago,kinda worked, cool at the time, annoying feeling it in

But could you recreate a 'balloon' - something which you can pump a gas Into that will float, connect it to a winch which would only allow it to operate when the wind, is there wind?, Is going in the right direction. Or let it trail out off the rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Press conference starting now, with footage and audio of the landing being released

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21X5lGlDOfg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I wonder could they ever try a balloon/cable system with a camera. I remember using helium balloons/300m fishing line/digital camera to get some 'drone' footage bout 15 years ago,kinda worked, cool at the time, annoying feeling it in

But could you recreate a 'balloon' - something which you can pump a gas Into that will float, connect it to a winch which would only allow it to operate when the wind, is there wind?, Is going in the right direction. Or let it trail out off the rover.
    It would not go as far or as high as a helicopter.

But would have far fewer moving parts and would be lighter.

Maybe a balloon with variable pressure so it could go up and down. And a wee anchor so a rover could winch itself out of a sand trap.

Don't get me started on tungsten counterweights and all the kit you could have replaced them with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1363929492138254340

That is one of the coolest fcking things i've seen. wow. All the angles!

Shlippery wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1363929492138254340

That is one of the coolest fcking things i've seen. wow. All the angles!

Definitely one of the coolest things I've ever seen! Incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭BArra

super cool, amazing engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OjN4NnQMY&ab_channel=ElonMuskZone

Does the paracord on top left image which is camera on the rover looking up at the descent module look like its been damaged, seems the cord at 2:44 has ripped a bit?

BArra wrote: »
    super cool, amazing engineering

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2OjN4NnQMY&ab_channel=ElonMuskZone

Does the paracord on top left image which is camera on the rover looking up at the descent module look like its been damaged, seems the cord at 2:44 has ripped a bit?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYQwuYZbA6o Live Q&A now...they're saying one or two minor blips and issues but mostly nominal!

MRO has imaged the landing site from orbit. https://www.uahirise.org/releases/perseverance/

Perseverance on the surface with the blast marks from the sky crane engines on either side:

percy-full-res.jpg

The parachute and back shell:

parachute.jpg

Heat shield:

heatshield-no-contrast.jpg

Crashed sky crane:

descent-stage-irb.jpg

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The first full colour panorama of the Jezero Crater landing site of the NASA Mars Perseverance rover. :D

11417_kjirg1qy9feyib77.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Very nice 360 view now on YouTube. Great way even just to see the bits and bobs on the rover itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

So the Sky crane just crashed then is that it? That's a pity that it could have not at least landed to be used in later missions maybe be refuelled by machine or by humans. Seems bit of wasted potential.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

AMKC wrote: »
    So the Sky crane just crashed then is that it? That's a pity that it could have not at least landed to be used in later missions maybe be refuelled by machine or by humans. Seems bit of wasted potential.

The fuel required to land it would have significantly increased the cost of mission. Not quite exponentially but a similar relationship. It's much more cost effective to crash the thing.

Advertisement