Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mars 2020 Missions

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Touchdown !

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

people breathing again

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

There we go!!

AMKC wrote: »
    A European built rover actually been built in the UK I think is going to be sent there to collect them in 2026 and it will sent them into space where another mission in 2031 will collect them. I think I have all that right.

https://www.esa.int/Science_Exploration/Human_and_Robotic_Exploration/Exploration/Mars_sample_return

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I love that scene!

When do we get pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,064 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I love that scene!

When do we get pics?

Some may come through soon enough

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Can't wait for the HD upload of the descent and landing. :D
    I know it's gonna be a while. :o

It's alive , image coming up

• Registered Users Posts: 15,563 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Ye they made it wooohooo

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

And there is of course could be a made up pic

yes I am joking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Picture from mars:
    544157.png

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

The weather doesn't look much better on Mars...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Excellent, the Mars landing curse must be lifted.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Stuck the landing like a pro.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭US2

thepogues wrote: »
    The weather doesn't look much better on Mars...

Maximum tempture on mars today was a balmy -16°c

• Registered Users Posts: 10,689 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

US2 wrote: »
    Maximum tempture on mars today was a balmy -16°c

So Texas!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

Looking forward to them getting the HD cameras fired up to get a proper look! Videos, sounds, all sorts....the problem being the length of time to beam em back to Earth!

So exciting though, some achievement!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,638 ✭✭✭✭bangkok

What an achievment... well done to all at NASA

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Str8outtaWuhan

Shlippery wrote: »
    Looking forward to them getting the HD cameras fired up to get a proper look! Videos, sounds, all sorts....the problem being the length of time to beam em back to Earth!

So exciting though, some achievement!

They must be using Tesco Mobile

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭thepogues

They stole that helicopter design off Da Vinci.

• Advertisement

Bowie cover :mad:

Nasa TV will have a rehash at 10:30

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭jkforde

woooooohoooooooooo!

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

thepogues wrote: »
    They stole that helicopter design off Da Vinci.
    Copyright expired so not a lot Leonardo can do now since he isn't Mickey Mouse who has had copyright extended multiple times.

NASA are doing spacecraft. Boeing & co. are getting the pork raiding warehouses for old kit and outsourcing difficult stuff. James Webb telescope is being launched by ESA who will also do the sample return missions. SLS is using an Italian service module, they also make the Cygnus supply craft. And don't mention Russian or Uranian engines and other bits.

They must be using Tesco Mobile
    You may laugh but the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter can get between 0.5 and 4 Mb/s and has already uploaded 50 TB and I'd probably still be a Three customer if I could get that reliably at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Bowie cover :mad:

ya, why not play the original

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,423 Mod ✭✭✭✭slade_x

fryup wrote: »
    ya, why not play the original

They barely have the budget to do what they do, they don't need to waste a cent on licensing music :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Any aliens yet?

slade_x wrote: »
    They barely have the budget to do what they do, they don't need to waste a cent on licensing music :D
    SLS $9.1 bn + $2.1Bn on ground systems. SpaceX Falcon Heavy retails at $0.15Bn
    Orion $12.8 billion with another $17.5 billion hidden
    It's an enlarged Apollo command module, and the service module is being bought in Europe for about three fifty. ($390m for the first, $220m each for the next three)

Ares $4-4.5 billion a year,
    Constellation $11.9 billion

All pork barrelling with NASA being used as a cover for slush funds for the US aerospace industry.

If Boeing's SLS explodes on the pad then Airbus will face a new round of US tariffs out of spite.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,575 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Fantastic achievement. Was watching the nail biting entry and descent sequence “live” - textbook touchdown and landing! :)

I know Perseverance has sent back two preliminary images of the surface at Jezero Crater already but I’m dying to see more images released at the press conference at 6pm this evening. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭ricimaki

Can't wait for the full video release of this, but even this one still image is incredible
    https://twitter.com/NASAPersevere/status/1362825545227018240

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Lads whats the end game of this Mars exploration? Would have thought it is too far and inhospitable for human habitation and the moon fits that bill better.

Advertisement