Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelors Walk reruns on RTE

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Great show, nice to see a show where no one looks at a phone or uses social media.
    Rte does not seem to make drama,s anymore , its cheaper to make talk shows or shows about property .the 90s seem like a very innocent time ,
    before trump and the pandemic .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

riclad wrote: »
    Great show, nice to see a show where no one looks at a phone or uses social media.
    Rte does not seem to make drama,s anymore , its cheaper to make talk shows or shows about property .the 90s seem like a very innocent time ,
    before trump and the pandemic .

The pandemic has rewound the clock a fair bit. Apart from wifi in the house. Mine went for 4 days mid pandemic & I felt the loss badly!

Remember the good ole days when people were bored in their houses and would
    drop around to hang out, or you’d play cards from boredom and get good at them, or chat & drink cups of tea when there was only shyte news on rte 1/2. And the ‘homeless’ wern’t demanding e2 000 rent a month appartment and then protesting the working poor wern’t paying for their gyms too.

Strumms wrote: »
    Paths To Freedom was hilarious...

Batchelors Walk was good, fûck me, 20 years ago.

At the time those came out I remember thinking RTE had turned the corner on comedy and were giving out opportunities for programes on a merit-based, non-nepotistic system.

20 years later I look at things like the overpromotion of Bridget and Eamonn and shed a little tear.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭COVID

I think the big surprise when it was broadcast, and even now to some degree, was that a home-produced RTE comedy-drama series didn't turn out
    to be the steaming pile of horse manure that most people expected.

Notwithstanding the nostalgia that the show evokes now in 2020, it is what it is, watchable and mildly diverting, with reasonably good production values.
    Nothing more than that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Just finished it last night. I had to watch the Christmas special on youtube as for some reason RTE haven't put it on the player. Actually the Christmas special was quite good. I enjoyed it a lot more than the ending of series 3.

I did see it first time around, but I would have missed some of it. It did make me feel quite nostalgic and made me think a lot about the late 90s/early 00s. Especially the first season which is by far the best.

The second season for the most part is fairly poor. The storyline with the old fella who moves in is ridiculous and feels really out of place with the tone of the show. The ending with the dog is a bit off too.

It gets better again with the third season, but it's all about the first season really.

Slightly depressing that these lads were much older than me when I first watched it and now I'm older than them watching it back. Although it's hard to believe Don Wycherley was in his early 30s during that. He looks way older. Sorry Don.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭FHFM50

Just finished it there.

Great writing, Simon Delaney and Keith McErlean are great.

Don Wycherley's acting is bad if I'm honest. ( You wouldn't notice it in Father Ted as he only had like two lines)

Highlights : Michaels drunk scenes and Barry taking the computer course :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Acosta

Yeah I think Simon Delaney is brilliant in it. FREE THE BEES! He's wasted presenting morning chat shows

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Granadino wrote: »
    Don’t get it. Can’t get into it but I was living overseas back then. Can’t relate :(

I was living down the country and couldn't get into it. Couldn't relate to most of what "the Dubs" were getting up to. Different world to mine at the time.
    COVID wrote: »
    I think the big surprise when it was broadcast, and even now to some degree, was that a home-produced RTE comedy-drama series didn't turn out to be the steaming pile of horse manure that most people expected.

Ah but it was. I don't know anyone who wasn't originally from Dubland that liked this show. Not one.

Advertisement