Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bachelors Walk reruns on RTE

Options
  • 08-06-2020 10:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

Why does yer one never wear a bra, were they not invented until 2003?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Maybe some women don't like it. Idk. I'm not an expert on women.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,745 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Whatever about the non wearing of bras, I very much doubt that the story of a man in his 20s hanging around outside a secondary school to ask a girl out would be allowed today!

I thought the girl was always wearing very little clothing for Dublin, especially in an old house like that. Even in summer.

I had forgotten how brilliant it was too. Back in the days when we expected greater things of RTE and they delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Have watched a couple of the repeats, was a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Lillyfae

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »

Simon Delaney, is it?

All joking aside, was a great show with a great soundtrack. A bit like the Dublin, Male version of Sex in the City :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

I watched the 3 series on the player. Was there a Christmas special as well?
    I couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Brilliant show. It doesn't feel like it's that long since it was on but Ireland surely has changed since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

BPKS wrote: »
    Whatever about the non wearing of bras, I very much doubt that the story of a man in his 20s hanging around outside a secondary school to ask a girl out would be allowed today!

I don't see that it couldn't be a story-line, but it is rather jarring that none of the other characters really says anything to him about it. Not in the episodes I've re-watched this far anyway.

Great show though.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭Meeoow

Bullocks wrote: »
    Brilliant show. It doesn't feel like it's that long since it was on but Ireland surely has changed since then.
    No traffic jams.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

It's 2001, it has aged reasonably well which is always a sign of a good series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

It is great and still looks and feel fresh. I don't know anything about filmography but I know that I like what I see in this show.

Broadcast late 2001 but filmed summer 2000. Simon Delaney was still in his twenties then!

This may have been something of a golden era for Dublin city - it was modern but technology wasn't as ubiquitous as today. No smartphone zombies. Rents and student fees were a lot cheaper. The property bubble hadn't gone completely mad yet. There were junkies in the city centre but probably not as many as today. The London Plane trees on O'Connell Street hadn't been cut down yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Watched an episode last night for the first ever time. Depressing as hell. Anyone who could relate to that at the time must have had counselling. Typical RTE ****e.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    It is great and still looks and feel fresh. I don't know anything about filmography but I know that I like what I see in this show.

Broadcast late 2001 but filmed summer 2000. Simon Delaney was still in his twenties then!

This may have been something of a golden era for Dublin city - it was modern but technology wasn't as ubiquitous as today. No smartphone zombies. Rents and student fees were a lot cheaper. The property bubble hadn't gone completely mad yet. There were junkies in the city centre but probably not as many as today. The London Plane trees on O'Connell Street hadn't been cut down yet.

In one of the first episodes, Michael and his girlfriend are looking for an apartment (Well, she is. He is resisting).

There is a scene where he gets indignant because the rent is 900 per/month. Of course we find out that there are underlying issues...but a mere seven years later Michael would really have had something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

druss wrote: »
    In one of the first episodes, Michael and his girlfriend are looking for an apartment (Well, she is. He is resisting).

There is a scene where he gets indignant because the rent is 900 per/month. Of course we find out that there are underlying issues...but a mere seven years later Michael would really have had something to complain about.

That would have been 900 pounds, euro wasn't in until 2002

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

Didn't catch it the first time round. I was in the same age group as the lads back then.

So, for me it was a real nostalga trip for those times.

And yes, we all did smoke that much.:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Cutie 3.14 wrote: »

We were all more free and easy going in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Don’t get it. Can’t get into it but I was living overseas back then. Can’t relate :(

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    That would have been 900 pounds, euro wasn't in until 2002

True, but that is still circa €1000. The equivalent gaff would have been looking for double that a few years later and wages weren't close to keeping pace. And I wasn't a barrister with a foxy girlfriend. Although I didn't have a major gambling issue either. :)

I thought the girl was always wearing very little clothing for Dublin, especially in an old house like that. Even in summer.

I had forgotten how brilliant it was too. Back in the days when we expected greater things of RTE and they delivered.

On the other hand, in the same time-frame, maybe even on the same day, RTE launched "The Cassidys". Ed Byrne still walks among us.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

druss wrote: »
    True, but that is still circa €1000. The equivalent gaff would have been looking for double that a few years later and wages weren't close to keeping pace. And I wasn't a barrister with a foxy girlfriend. Although I didn't have a major gambling issue either. :)

its exactly 1143 euro

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Good old Lavor and his gentleman's wash.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭Filmer Paradise

In all fairness Marcella Plunkett (as Allison) was a fine thing for the times. She looked liked she could be great craic in real life.

As a car fan , you notice how Raymond swans about in an old green Mercedes.

The Simon Delaney character has access to an old Jag.

Allison's boyfriend drives an old BMW E30 3-Series.

All these cars were old in 2001, but classic at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Was watching and couldn't believe the apartment (well the outside)I bought 4 years ago was in it. The scene where Michael is sitting with all his luggage waiting on Jane (after he'd been caught doing the dirt with the blonde Rachel) in directly in front of my gaff. I think the apartment they bought is directly across from me

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Loved this show when it first aired.

I was in my first proper serious long-term relationship at the time (very early 2000s) and the two of us watched Bachelors Walk religiously on the TV at the time. :)

Saw that it was being re-run and have duly set it to record on my box.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭PeterDuggan

Did anyone record Season 2, episode 2? Recorded the rest but missed that one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,956 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Remember the episode where they go to I think Donegal and the local barman wont serve them as its Holy Hour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,638 ✭✭✭SHOVELLER

Brilliant series and very relatable. The scene where Delaney falls drunk into the rubbish was one of the funniest things I have even seen!!!

That and Paths to Freedom show what RTE can do.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    Brilliant series and very relatable. The scene where Delaney falls drunk into the rubbish was one of the funniest things I have even seen!!!

That and Paths to Freedom show what RTE can do.

Paths To Freedom was hilarious...

Batchelors Walk was good, fûck me, 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Great show, very slick and classy. Well cast as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Rewatched the whole series a few months back. I loved it 20 years ago and loved it even more this time. Brilliant acting and writing, and great to look back at how Dublin was in those days.

Advertisement