Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How did you get on with your teachers at school?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

Mixed bag really, mostly grand. A few sour fcukers but hey, isn't there always. Sure nobody died :D

Mr Bubo had a more "colourful" experience, a few violent alcoholic teachers in his old school. I was lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,398 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

touts wrote: »
    Got on well with most of them. Was quite and hard working so that's what they wanted.

Also I went to school ~30 years ago so I hadn't seen all these movies about inspiring teachers leading their students to greatness. Therefore I had the, no longer PC, belief that what I achieved was down to me not the teacher. I know that's no longer the expectation as now most students demand Robin Williams and Michelle Pfiffer will hold their hands through 6 years of secondary school before giving them a glowing predicted grade despite all their bad behaviour thus securing them a scholarship to TCD followed by a 100k a year entry level job with Amnesty international.

That is very unfair on the other Jacinda Ardern has an after school job in a chip shop at aged 14 so not a lot of mollycoddling going on there, still did well academically, went to university maybe times are just different.

About 20 years ago I began to here about parents ( mostly mother ) taking work holiday when their child did the leaving cert or junior cert was on so they could be there and support the child I was amazed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭LimeFruitGum

[QUOTE=mariaalice;113697354<snip>
    About 20 years ago I began to here about parents ( mostly mother ) taking work holiday when their child did the leaving cert or junior cert was on so they could be there and support the child I was amazed.[/QUOTE]

:eek: That's pure coddling to me. I can see it's coming from a good place, but what good could it do? It's only for 2 weeks, if the kid has been studying and preparing well for the exams, then they should be confident and positive going into the hall. Mammy pacing the room at home isn't going to help them either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,973 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

The new graded leaving cert is clearly going to be interesting in terms of if you were a prick to the teacher or if you were a swat.

Personally don't think it's right

What if your mammy or daddy are friends with MR/Ms teacher ? And they gave them a quick phone call just to see how they are

• Registered Users Posts: 9,979 ✭✭✭cena

My first teacher for 4 years was my cousin. We only had two teachers in national school. Small country school.

Good on good with the secondary teachers. Can't complain really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I was treated poorly by some nuns at primary level, who were snobby about my background and made it abundantly clear they felt I was not to be trusted. But, at the same time, they (the nuns) went over and above to support me, they paid for me to attend courses, and they arranged a scholarship for me to a private school (in the belief this would be beneficial for me academically, but actually they were wrong and their own school was far superior). My primary lay teachers were excellent and inspiring. They changed my life. I didn't like one, but she was a good teacher and it was nothing personal really. My post primary teachers were mostly excellent and just one was poor. I got on well with them all bar one, but nothing too serious there either.

The private school teachers were ok, nothing special, none fantastic.

I went to a grinds school for a year (to avoid going back to my own school after leaving the private school scholarship) and the teachers there were outstanding in the context of motivated students looking to achieve high points with minimal support.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,693 ✭✭✭buried

Only had one good teacher in secondary school. I'll never forget them until the day I die. Actually made you look forward going to the class. Made you look forward to learning. Totally raised my cognitive awareness to levels that have always made me educate myself to this very day and still enjoy it.

The rest of them were a bunch of f**king malignant paycheck seekers

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 2 toddconnerss

I also didn't like school very much and the teachers surprisingly loved me because I wrote well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I was 'cheeky' and Catholic teachers get wound up by nothing more than cheeky kids.

It's not I didn't like them more they didn't like me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Didn't get on at all with my German teacher. I had little interest in the subject and she was just an all round nasty person. My heart sank when I found out I had her for Irish in 5th year after I already dropped German after my Junior Cert.

My art teacher killed what love I had for the subject. I remember she used to make us do the alphabet in capital letters using a 6x3cm rectangular block consisting of 18 squares. It was tedious and soul destroying. She would also describe anything that wasn't to her liking as being "utter and total rubbish" and would punish you by making you do the whole alphabet twice using that awful block grid system. I dropped art after Junior Cert because of her, I was delighted just to be free of her.

Apart from those two my science and English teachers were excellent. I got on well with my maths teachers also. I ended up doing applied science in college mainly because I enjoyed science (especially biology) so much.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

The disrespect I've have for 1 geography teacher that insisted to me that the earth was 3 thousand years old has always irritated me to this day. Coupled with the IRA sympathising bastard that was teaching our children that the flag was green white and gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,181 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Ahh I guess most of them were alright looking back. Certainly not all but most just wanted to get in, do their day and get out. Can't blame them. It was funny tho (talking about secondary school here) as soon as 4pm hit there would be a sea of teenagers walking out the main gate and you'd have teachers in their cars trying to navigate through. They couldn't wait 10 minutes! lol.

Had the PE teacher bring me into the library, locked the door behind me, and put it up to me face to face over something small. What a cocky idiot looking back. What if I said he touched me up or we got into a scrap? Explain that! I was 13 and he was only 22-23ish. I had no sense but neither did he. He was always chewing gum and the bravado out of him when doing PE classes was something else. I think he was trying to ride of the girl students looking back.

Have to mention the principal as well I guess. Arrogant, rude, wa*ker are words to use. Less said the better. Music teacher was a real nice lady. Genuine like. Guess it's like anything else. Some are alright some are jerks.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Terribly. I was a bit of a pup to be fair though

There was a concerted effort to get me kicked out of the school. Even teachers who I didn't have any classes with I found out after were plotting to get rid of me. The cnuts eventually succeeded in putting me on reduced hours. But was it not for the Department they would have kicked me out altogether. Pricks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,722 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I have very little memories, good or bad of any of my teachers. Maybe they didn't leave much of an impression on me. I met an old fella in a pub years ago and we got chatting, mentioned he was a retired secondary school teacher.

"Oh says I, what school was that?"

"What do you mean" , says he, "I had you in the Comprehensive for 5 years back in the 90s"

Turned out he was my year head (for 5years) and I hadn't a clue who he was or even had no memory of him.

I was amazed he remembered me as I was a quiet enough kid and did my best not to stand out in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,668 ✭✭✭mondeo

I think you will learn better if you like your teachers. When I went to secondary school in the mid 90's is when sht hit the fan for me. I was thrown into the deep end of a cesspool with teachers who had no respect for students. I remember our religion class teacher Father whats his name slamming the bible on the desk periodically like a mad man as if it was bloody 1960! This Fcker was dangerous..

My P.E teacher was proper CNT, big loud mouth on her, a hideous bat who towards the end of my school days managed to get pregnant. She must have drugged the bastd where ever she found him.

Had a history teacher Miss Murphy who was a hideous stick insect who loved pointing her finger. She reminded me of a NAZI, every time she pointed out at a student it was like she was selecting someone for the gas chamber. Some teachers have really had a negative impact on me. Generally I was pretty average in school, never really got A's but never really failed anything either, middle of the road C type of chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

How come so many teachers turn out to be alcoholics??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I didn't get on with any of my teachers and to this day I have no respect for people who go into teaching in Ireland. Teaching is where thick people who aren't good with their hands go to work, especially if "Mammy" and "Daddy" were filling their CAO forms out for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Biscuitus

50% of the teachers I had absolutely hated children. They'd sit at the top of the class with the biggest scowl on their face snapping at the slightest thing and looking for any reason to start screaming at a student. I'll never understand why they thought being around children all day for the rest of their life was a good career path. One teacher had to regularly take sick leave near the end because she stressed herself out to the point she was nearly hospitalised.

I got on well with most teachers. I didn't get in trouble and kept my head down so teachers had no need to care about anything other than my grades. One day a friend convinced me to mitch off after lunch. My maths teacher was driving by and spotted us. He just laughed at us and drove by. Probably was heading home and didn't want to deal with bringing us back but a word was never said. I probably wouldn't recognise any of them if I saw them now.

Had a business teacher who could not abide me. It's not as if I was misbehaving or we had a row and it stemmed from that. Just from day one he took a dislike. I was handy at it too so not as if I was a dosser.

I must have just had one of 'those faces'.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Great! We had no uniforms, a very sensible and pragmatic dresscode (which mostly dealt with how much skin we could reveal), we could have orange hair and wear clown shoes if we wanted. We could address teaching staff and principals by first name. We could sip water bottles in class, we were able to self guide our studies .....

I didn't go to school here.

My brother does though. The difference is profound.

Schools here and like a cross between Magdaline Laundries and Hogwarts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭Archeron

Had a history teacher that gave me a love of history so deep that I still study for fun today. He organized trips to behind the scenes in museums, archaeological digs, introduced photography and model building, it was brilliant. Also an English teacher who made me love writing and an Irish teacher who I'd love to go back in time and have a pint with, one of the funniest people I've ever met. She gave nicknames to most of the class that are still used today, many many years later.

Also had a maths teacher who was a big dope. He'd snark at the quiet kids and smart kids and encourage bad behaviour from the class hard men. Looking back I think he wanted to be one of the lads much more than being a teacher. Overall I really liked school and the vast majority of teachers, but was a quiet nerd so that would have helped. There were absolute nutcases among them but they were nice enough nutcases.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Grand up to 4th class, 5th saw the emergence of DLS Christian brothers in 5th class.

6th was worse both men shouldn't have been left next nor near kids, 6th class yoke was an animal, beatings all round, we were naughty at best. I was dyslexic, couldn't spell, still can't !

He seemed to think physically assaulting us would make us sharper, it didn't.

My youngest is dyslexic the difference in his schooling is so different thankfully.

Went on to DLS secondary then, about two teachers I would have any gra for now.

The rest were a mix of oddballs, an alcho a physco and a few CBs in the mix, bailed at 15 hated the place.

Funnily enough went back to college and got an engineering degree, they didn't mind my spelling and handwriting..........

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Left handed and started school at 3 and a half, because the school needed numbers. Had a metal clothes peg put on my lip for talking in junior infants. Shoved up to seniors after a few months in juniors as I was " too good." in first, aged 5, had my left hand tied to the back of the old fashioned desks and repeatedly slapped across the face until I picked up my pencil in my right hand, let's hear it for the " holy nuns." Went on to train as a teacher. At the interview, most people gushed about how they " loved children." I explained that I wanted to be a teacher that didn't think it was ok to intimidate and beat children.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

Could it have anything to do with the job they have????🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭Rustyman101

Maybe years ago, know a good few teachers now, shock horror they actually like their jobs and the kids. Parents can be a different matter.

Christian brothers were stuck in their role and most seemed to hate it and the pupils, young people now will move if they don't like a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Never underestimate the usual things that make the world go round. I was put in a lower level maths class run by a new freshly qualified teacher, she was as they say well endowed and had a great figure. I started paying attention to this goddess and guess what, my maths ability was soon climbing. To the point, she says one day that I'm to be promoted to a higher level class. Big mistake, the latter was run by a dried up old hag putting in her last years before retirement. My maths ability dived, what had become a joy became an awful boring chore to be endured.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭madmaggie

Grand. They ignored me, and I ignored them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,339 ✭✭✭jmreire

A good few years ago ( 50's, 60's,70's etc ) the Christian Brothers visited schools in recruitment drives, and it was not uncommon for several 12, 13 or 14 year old children to join up at that time. So then later on, you had CBS teachers who had basically had an un natural adolescence, and this manifested itself in some of them becoming violent or worse with their pupils. Modern teachers are as different from them as chalk and cheese. But even so in the present times, its possible to find teachers who are not suited to the job either by temperament or ability. But Thank God, the old CBS teaching ways are long gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,377 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Met one of them the other day outside Aldi, I'd say he hadn't a clue who this big bald middle aged fella was saying hello to him.

• Advertisement

I was a quiet lad and got on with my work. Primary school was grand. Secondary school was home to a few headcases!

Advertisement