Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you want to be when you were small?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭_Godot_

A school bus driver was my dream job!

So not only could you tell them where to go, you could drive them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭2006

A midwife! Don't know why because I hate the sight of blood

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Kylta wrote: »
    If you roll all that into one its called a mother

No it's not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Chartered Accountant.

2006 wrote: »
    A midwife! Don't know why because I hate the sight of blood

So you could use the word midwifery.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Nizlopi

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I really wanted to be a queen and was very disappointed when I found out that I couldn't do that.

I really wanted to be a queen and was very disappointed when I found out that I couldn't do that.

But you did become a Princess Bride!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Happy , aw well maybe in the next life .

• Registered Users Posts: 18,587 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

But you did become a Princess Bride!

:pac:
    Not just a Princess Bride, The Princess Bride!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,377 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I was just reminded of this when I saw the kids at the zoo on the news.
    I vividly remember wanting to be a penguin when at the zoo. The reason was because penguins swam a lot. I liked swimming.

But then I learnt that penguins eat fish and I didn't like fish.
    So that presented a problem.

So then I wanted to be a carpenter because they get to use hammers and saws. Plus hammers and saws are cool. Plus I learnt in religion that Jesus was a carpenter so that convinced me. Plus I was given a small toolkit by my granny so I was sorted (It was aimed at kids little saw and hammer - but actually worked - not sure it would pass health and safety these days) .

But then Barry McGuigan won the boxing so I wanted to be a boxer. Plus I had a dressing gown so I could do a boxing ring entrance.

Plus later I learnt the chorus of this song

However, I quickly changed my mind again. Boris Becker was on the telly and won Wimbledon. Boris had red hair. In my mind, that meant I could be a tennis player too.

I think I want to be a penguin again, I could learn to like fish. :D

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kylta wrote: »
    if you loved acting could you not go back to amateur acting. Before the covid thing started their were few places looking for actors/actresses. Acting is not all about the fame, its about immersing yourself in something different.

You're never to old not to chase dreams.

I do a theatre class and have been in a few productions which is fun but I’ll have to give up on my dream of winning that Oscar :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,173 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I always believed (and still do) that I'd make a wonderful billionaire philanthropist.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I wanted to be a roadie, never did though and it still pisses me off that I didn't try harder to do it....

• Registered Users Posts: 24,961 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I wanted to be a pilot, why ? Not in any particular order...

- the money was very good.

- you’d be paid back then to overnight with your mates / colleagues in nice hotels in nice cites and get fed, entertained, basically seeing the world, enjoying the world and getting paid for it.

- it wasn’t quite as humdrum as an office gig and if you didn’t particularly like the person you were working with, next week you get paired with somebody else and you might not see the dislikable person for months.

It’s not ‘quite’ as glamorous now, overnights are far and few between now, the likes of Ryanair and easyjet have influenced a nosedive in pay and conditions unless you are working for the likes of some of the ‘legacy’ carriers or on an older contract.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

When I was around six, I wanted to be a builder. We were having an extension built onto our house at the time and I found the whole process fascinating. I loved playing with the wet cement, stealing bucket-loads of it and filling in cracks and potholes in the driveway. I also loved the way a large part of the job seemed to involve drinking mugs of tea, eating biscuits and swearing at annoying children.

When I became less small, I wanted to be a writer. I had a bash at it too, but lacked the requisite skills (despite knowing words like requisite) to earn a decent living. It's not as simple as being able to write good... you need to be able to sell yourself and your work in a way that never rested easily with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

A judge. At like 3.

Yeah. Or a lawyer. But in particular a judge. Thankfully I went against it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭Redneck Reject1971

At first a police officer,then a Marine,which I did accomplish.I'm still paying for that,heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

I wanted to be a pilot....i used to collect world aircraft magazine.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,392 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

A zoo keeper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭sbs2010

I wanted to be a vet but ended up in IT :(

Recently I've been thinking it would be cool to be a village elder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭LiquidZeb

A moderator on Boards.ie. I'll make it happen someday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

I only knew what I didn’t want to be. Avoid this / avoid that.. jaysus don’t turn out like that / my god don’t go down that road. Straight and narrow type of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

One thing i don't understand is the idea you left a dream unfulfilled. Truly i would hate to be most of the things i wanted to be. Also many things that used to interest me ...now just bore me.

LiquidZeb wrote: »
    A moderator on Boards.ie. I'll make it happen someday.

You were about to be asked to become a moderator, but this post has disqualified you. For life. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

I went through phases, most consistent was actress/model/singer and would do shows for family or anyone that would watch/listen, I went to drama classes for about a year and I loved them, wished id been able to keep them up.
    I went through a fairly lengthy stage of wanting to be an auctioneer when I grew up, I would take items from around the house, set them up on a table, got a little wooden hammer to bang the table (I had confused judges with auctioneers) and would try to sell the items back to my parents/whoever was present at my auction.
    I also wanted to be a spy, fashion designer, a nurse a hairdresser and at 8 wanted to be a stay at home mother by the time I was 16, I had a list of names that I liked so decided id have a child for each name, think I imagined myself having about 18 kids before turning 20.
    By 13 I was going to be a famous rock musician, no musical talent, not a note in my head but total confidence that it was going to happen.
    Im in my 30's now and still dont know what I want to be.

Lorry driver.

I thought I wanted to be an architect, but I really only enjoyed playing with Lego. So for a further 25 years, into my 30s and up until the day he died, my grandfather would shout at me "What the hell are you even doing with your life? You said you were going to be an architect!" I suppose what seven year old doesn't follow through on their dreams?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

A cop, like lots of little boys I suppose. Briefly flirted with the idea again when I was about 20, applied and was invited for an aptitude test, but couldn't make it down to Galway to do it as I had to work. I obviously wasn't that worried about it as I could probably have managed to swap shifts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Lily_Aldrin7

First, I wanted to be a doctor, then a teacher. Then I wanted to be an actress, then a teacher again and then a writer. I’m in my 30s now and I still change my dream job every few months

Advertisement