Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1372513435741777924

Andrea Gilligan interviewed someone called Ewan MacKenna, no idea about him or his angle but NT were rather naughty editing his contribution yesterday, about 30 seconds goes missing. They apparently restored the original version since this broke on twitter etc earlier today.

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/before

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/after

It was Clare McKenna who interviewed him. She covers for Andrea Gilligan and I think she's much better

mzungu wrote: »
    Joe rarely (if ever) states his opinion. He holds back on that, whilst gently nudging callers to dish out theirs.

I'd have to disagree. I think he's extremely opinionated. Not that I agree with most of what he moans about but it at least gets some back and forth debate going. Example:
    https://www.rte.ie/radio/radioplayer/html5/#/radio1/21793055

On lunchtime live it always seems to die a death

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

she seemed to recently purchase a house, hopefully she won't be relying on her newstalk salary going forward

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

crazy 88 wrote: »
    It was Clare McKenna who interviewed him. She covers for Andrea Gilligan and I think she's much better

Cheers you can tell I don't listen often. That lunchtime slot seems doomed to fail they have a head start on RTE with light music on that channel for the first hour but they haven't made anything of the advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Genghis

Sinead Ryan alert. #movesthedial

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,888 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Andrea Gilligan interviewed someone called Ewan MacKenna, no idea about him or his angle but NT were rather naughty editing his contribution yesterday, about 30 seconds goes missing. They apparently restored the original version since this broke on twitter etc earlier today.

Dont know how NT thought they'd get away with that and its poor form, cos Mc Kenna is full time on twitter **** stirring

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

2smiggy wrote: »
    she seemed to recently purchase a house

We know, she keeps reminding us.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

The previous host has 4 kids - I bet you didn't know that. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭newboard

Did anyone see the edited version on the NT site? He put both on his Soundcloud rather than link to the NT cast so it'd be a convenient way to stir controversy and then say they 'reverted back' when people see the original was there.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

The bit they cut out could have been legally problematic or at least might have needed to be fact-checked before being published. The rest of the media steered well clear of it anyway ...

Was just going to say I used to enjoy the banter between Andrea Gilligan and Cuddihy and Coleman on their show. It was the same there yesterday evening between Cuddihy and Gilligan on The Hard Shoulder. I think herself and Cuddihy would be a good combination for that show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

We know, she keeps reminding us.

Previously all she used to bang on about was how difficult it was for her to buy a house.

That tone changed so. She's almost bragging now

• Registered Users Posts: 15,808 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kamili wrote: »
    Previously all she used to bang on about was how difficult it was for her to buy a house.

That tone changed so. She's almost bragging now

The absolute dose of moving humblebrag.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

plodder wrote: »
    I think herself and Cuddihy would be a good combination for that show.

Just no. She's rubbish. She was on the Hard Shoulder talking about Westlife and it was honestly the most cringey piece I'd heard in weeks.

Once again yesterday on her show, someone speaking about their difficulties being autistic and after two or three minutes of the guest talking about how difficult things are, "so it's difficult for you is it?" was the best she could muster.

It's clear as day she is completely unable to think on the spot and whilst she can somewhat talk to her prepared material, she is robustly unable to tailor her discussions on the fly and adapt to her guests.

I passively listen to Newstalk all day at my home desk and have started listening to music between Pat Kenny and Moncrief.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

crazy 88 wrote: »

Ah no I'm not a fan of Andrea but Clare McKenna is worse. I'm not sure I can get over her accent, she sounds like a mumsy lecturing school teacher. Its like she is always tut tuting and talking down to people, but yet has nothing superior to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I passively listen to Newstalk all day at my home desk and have started listening to music between Pat Kenny and Moncrief.

I turn off at 12pm as well but it’s the call in format, not Andrea, that’s my “issue” with it.

If it was up to me I’d have Susan Keogh in that time slot. And would ditch the, dreadful, ‘Live Line’ nonsense.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 7,140 ✭✭✭plodder

She was on the Hard Shoulder talking about Westlife and it was honestly the most cringey piece I'd heard in weeks.
    That's the segment I was talking about. I thought it was a good laugh.
    Once again yesterday on her show, someone speaking about their difficulties being autistic and after two or three minutes of the guest talking about how difficult things are, "so it's difficult for you is it?" was the best she could muster.

It's clear as day she is completely unable to think on the spot and whilst she can somewhat talk to her prepared material, she is robustly unable to tailor her discussions on the fly and adapt to her guests.
    Haven't listened to her program too much, but I've gotten that impression as well, which is my point that I think she might be better with a co-presenter.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,444 ✭✭✭Heroditas

I'd like to see Jess Kelly get that programme. One of the best communicators at Newstalk.

"And today I'm going to be talking about the Samsung S21 ... for the 4th week in a row. Did anyone know I got the use of one recently and I'll compare it to my other Samsung?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Heroditas wrote: »
    "And today I'm going to be talking about the Samsung S21 ... for the 4th week in a row. Did anyone know I got the use of one recently and I'll compare it to my other Samsung?"

Yeah, she's ****ing awful. I know she's speaking to basic listeners who know nothing about phones, but jesus christ, it's like she knows feck all too.

Billions of different phones out there at any one time, she talks about iPhone and Samsung, and maybe OnePlus 🙄🙄🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 19,995 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

I don't think there is much of a difference between phones to warrant the amount of discussion on them. I know they are trying to fill time slots, but maybe talk about some other forms of tech. Plenty to choose from !!

2smiggy wrote: »
    I don't think there is much of a difference between phones to warrant the amount of discussion on them. I know they are trying to fill time slots, but maybe talk about some other forms of tech. Plenty to choose from !!

But it’s got a new camera!!!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

"I work in a crèche"

Andrea " What do you do".

Gawd.

Try Niall Boylan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

listening to this show for the first time in a long time today , good god she is awful , dreadful voice for radio to begin with

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

"I work in a crèche"

Andrea " What do you do".

Gawd.

Could be a manager, maintenance, driver, cook, cleaner, assistant.

So not that strange a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    listening to this show for the first time in a long time today , good god she is awful , dreadful voice for radio to begin with

Any show that depends on calls from the general public for content is awful. Just ends up with kranky people ranting about unimportant things.

It's always negative stuff that brings people down and best avoided.

murpho999 wrote: »
    Any show that depends on calls from the general public for content is awful. Just ends up with kranky people ranting about unimportant things.

100%, the show’s format is brutal. I actually like her voice, if I’m being honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

I think she has a lot of mates lined up to text in as well.

The show is abysmal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,373 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

But at least with Ciara Kelly it was coherent nonsense that never asked idiotic questions or strangle it's guests. Its so ramshackle now and least Ciara Kelly asked logical questions or followed logical lines.

You highlighted one question that you could give her the benefit of the doubt on (although I wouldn't) but she consistently asks stupid questions like asking someone who's been suffering an illness for years and talked about it for five minutes "how does it make you feel".

It's possible to have a public caller show and keep it interesting or probing. It's utter shïte.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,306 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

Mad_maxx wrote: »

Dreadful in what way? I think she has a great radio voice. In fact, I would find very little wrong with her presenting style.

However, the show format is the problem here. She can only do so much with what she has been given and it really doesn't do her any favours.

But no matter who Newstalk hired to present it, the problem with the format would still be there. There is no getting away from that.

• Advertisement

But at least with Ciara Kelly it was coherent nonsense that never asked idiotic questions or strangle it's guests. Its so ramshackle now and least Ciara Kelly asked logical questions or followed logical lines.

You highlighted one question that you could give her the benefit of the doubt on (although I wouldn't) but she consistently asks stupid questions like asking someone who's been suffering an illness for years and talked about it for five minutes "how does it make you feel".

It's possible to have a public caller show and keep it interesting or probing. It's utter shïte.

Ciara Kelly interrupted and spoke over everyone , so you rarely heard the caller's viewpoint ! It was the Ciara Kelly show, all about her and her experiences.
    I wanted to give Andrea the benefit of the doubt as it was a welcome relief from CK, but she is very dull and does not get the best out of her callers. Half the time it comes across like she has done no research at all and she seems to get a bit lost or even a bit bored with everything.....

I've switched to Niall Boylan and its never dull :D:D

Advertisement