Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: 'Lunchtime Live' with Andrea Gilligan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

I can't stomach that accent at all.

but her face makes up for it

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Some pile of crap on the show today. The English one at the start was a right dose. Harry and Meghen have brought all this on themselves and obviously have no respect for the monarchy or his grandparents. Not the first American divorcee to cause problems for the Royal Family.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

Only just saw this comment now.

Why is it a difficult slot? The station is called NewsTalk. How about analysis of news? Not decluttering your home.

Indeed, Claire Byrne's radio show is much the same now, fluffy, lifestyle magazine show, unrecognisable from its previous incarnation under Sean O'Rourke. Radio execs. have obviously decided this is the way to go.

On a more positive note, at least the taxpayers aren't funding Andrea's wages and she's probably on less than a third of Claire Byrne's salary anyway.

Claire Byrne's rise to prominence is a mystery to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭Murdoc90

Andrea is totally inept at pulling people up on things. Just saying "right.. snigger.. right ok" and an awkward pause is so hard to listen to.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus. These clowns with their "nobody's allowed question anything" bullshìt.

It's just straight up untrue.

Pillock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Murdoc90 wrote: »
    Andrea is totally inept at pulling people up on things. Just saying "right.. snigger.. right ok" and an awkward pause is so hard to listen to.

She gives them rope.

It must be really awful to live like that.

And Andrea's at it again - women living in fear. Why women - it's law abiding citizens that live in fear on the streets not just women. Of course, politically correct Newstalk can't discuss the elephant in the room - the laughable policing and the justice system in this country. A non-existent police presence on the street and a judiciary who couldn't hand out a decent sentence to save their lives and a political class completely out of touch with public opinion. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭crazy 88

Murdoc90 wrote: »

You can tell she's very uncomfortable talking to people with opinions different to hers. You get a "hmmm" and "ok" and then "ok thanks for contacting us" and the person is disconnected before they say anything further. It makes for awful radio. At least Ciara Kelly had some fight in her. I wish they had someone like James O'Brien in this slot.

Del.Monte wrote: »
    And Andrea's at it again - women living in fear. Why women - it's law abiding citizens that live in fear on the streets not just women. Of course, politically correct Newstalk can't discuss the elephant in the room - the laughable policing and the justice system in this country. A non-existent police presence on the street and a judiciary who couldn't hand out a decent sentence to save their lives and a political class completely out of touch with public opinion. :mad:

The experiences of some of the women on the show were dreadful. It makes sense that afterwards they would be in a state of hyper vigilance while out in the world. I would hope though that they can receive support so as to live their lives without fear.

I don't like the narrative that all women are nervous and anxious because of men. It diminishes us, reduces us to meek observers in our lives. The woman with her baby who was scared to go to her car because there were 2 men near by, I mean where does that come from?

• Advertisement

Shocker on today's show Barry Kenny has discovered that there's a serious graffiti problem on CIE/IE trains and on the lineside. And then some gob****e 'artist' on saying that it's great to see people trespassing on Irish Rail to paint trains at 4am in the morning.

Where were you when Elvis died or when Leo announced that schools would shut in March 2020? :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,548 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Really at the end of my tether listening to Lunchtime Live.

Have tried to give it time but Andrea's interview style is just abysmal. Her questions can be so dense, irrelevant and pointless. The amount of times I've heard people on talking about devastating events in their lives and after five minutes of the caller describing their circumstances, her best question is "and how does that make you feel?".

There a man just on there who was (fairly eloquently and not dramatically) arguing about Level 5 lockdown being ineffective, damaging the economy, questioning health officials salaries and the general response not working. After some dense perfunctory questions, there was a deafening silence for about five seconds and then asks as if she hasn't been listening "mmmm and does it bother you?". Then she summarily disagrees and he's gone.

It's utter muck. At least with Ciara Kelly it felt there was substance or weight to the host and her style irrespective of whether you agreed with her or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Followed by a riveting interview about horse racing. Dreadful.

Why did Newstalk let Sarah McInerney walk out the door? Yes, I know not everyone is a fan of Sarah but, Jaysus, she's better than this shyte.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭Allinall

Followed by a riveting interview about horse racing. Dreadful.

Why did Newstalk let Sarah McInerney walk out the door? Yes, I know not everyone is a fan of Sarah but, Jaysus, she's better than this shyte.

Talking, on a talk show, about horse racing on the first day of arguably the biggest national hunt festival in the world?

What a shocker.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Have tried to give it time but Andrea's interview style is just abysmal. Her questions can be so dense, irrelevant and pointless. The amount of times I've heard people on talking about devastating events in their lives and after five minutes of the caller describing their circumstances, her best question is "and how does that make you feel?".

There a man just on there who was (fairly eloquently and not dramatically) arguing about Level 5 lockdown being ineffective, damaging the economy, questioning health officials salaries and the general response not working. After some dense perfunctory questions, there was a deafening silence for about five seconds and then asks as if she hasn't been listening "mmmm and does it bother you?". Then she summarily disagrees and he's gone.

It's utter muck. At least with Ciara Kelly it felt there was substance or weight to the host and her style irrespective of whether you agreed with her or not.

Yeah, your man, kept his cool, described his frustration very well, and I agreed with him. But that 5/10 seconds of dead silence from Andrea was so unprofessional. Seems to happen to her a few times per week, out of her dept with the general caller tbh.

She just does not have questions ready in her own head. She should, shes the bloody presenter. Like, how is she running this show? At least Ciara could reply quickly to a caller, so to speak :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Test For Echo

Allinall wrote: »
    Talking, on a talk show, about horse racing on the first day of arguably the biggest national hunt festival in the world?

What a shocker.

I'm not referring to the topic but the quality of the presenter and the mind numbing 'conversation' with her guest. Did you hear the piece? It was poor even by local radio standards.

Allinall wrote: »

What a shocker.

It's not that she's talking about it, I don't think anyone has an issue with that.

It's that it's not deep enough for die-hard punters to be worth tuning in for and it's not even high level enough at the other end that it's not entertaining for those who aren't interested in it. Its peripheral uninteresting mundane waffle that's threadbare at best. "Oh do you like horseracing?" No Andrea, he's spoken to you for the last four minutes on horseracing and his previous experiences because he has no interest in it. :confused:

I've listened to things on Moncrieff I have zilch interest in and been entertained.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,609 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have tried to give it time but Andrea's interview style is just abysmal. Her questions can be so dense, irrelevant and pointless. The amount of times I've heard people on talking about devastating events in their lives and after five minutes of the caller describing their circumstances, her best question is "and how does that make you feel?"

Really don’t think Andrea is the problem. It’s the “call in” format. She can’t go hard on the whingers and can’t, really, give too much of a counter argument.

The show is a dreadful imitation of the, already dreadful, ‘Live Line’ show on RTÉ.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭mikep

I couldn't agree more...
    She really floundered with the first caller and the dead air was unbelievable..
    It can't last hopefully..

It seems she is completely out of her depth.

Really don’t think Andrea is the problem. It’s the “call in” format. She can’t go hard on the whingers and can’t, really, give too much of a counter argument.

The show is a dreadful imitation of the, already dreadful, ‘Live Line’ show on RTÉ.

Why can't she go hard or give a counter argument? Possibly every other day time call in show has a presenter who lays their opinions down fairly firmly, including liveline.

• Advertisement

I can't think of any other newsreader who has gone from just newsreading to prime time radio slots like this. They are totally different skills.
    Brian Dobson maybe, but he had done plenty of interviews on six one

• Registered Users Posts: 19,596 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I do love the self titled "silent majority".

Not silent, and definitely not a majority.

So that's a good start, two lies before you've even started your whining.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1372513435741777924

Andrea Gilligan interviewed someone called Ewan MacKenna, no idea about him or his angle but NT were rather naughty editing his contribution yesterday, about 30 seconds goes missing. They apparently restored the original version since this broke on twitter etc earlier today.

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/before

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/after

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna/status/1372513435741777924

Andrea Gilligan interviewed someone called Ewan MacKenna, no idea about him or his angle but NT were rather naughty editing his contribution yesterday, about 30 seconds goes missing. They apparently restored the original version since this broke on twitter etc earlier today.

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/before

https://soundcloud.com/ewan-bigern-mackenna/after

In all truth, id say there is a lot of people who would like to sort Ewan Mckenna out with a good hurley and no witnesses. Utter gob****e who has built his career off slagging Mcgregor and being holier than tho. Clown

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

In all truth, id say there is a lot of people who would like to sort Ewan Mckenna out with a good hurley and no witnesses. Utter gob****e who has built his career off slagging Mcgregor and being holier than tho. Clown

even an idiot can be right on occasion and this is an occasion here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭Tork

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    even an idiot can be right on occasion and this is an occasion here

Agreed. I'm no fan of his but when it comes to this issue, he raises some good points. I can only go by anecdotal experience but just about everyone I know is now questioning the extent of Level and bending the rules in one way or another. If he doesn't revert to his usual self, he could get some mileage out of this.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

crazy 88 wrote: »
    Why can't she go hard or give a counter argument? Possibly every other day time call in show has a presenter who lays their opinions down fairly firmly, including liveline.

Joe rarely (if ever) states his opinion. He holds back on that, whilst gently nudging callers to dish out theirs.

As for Andrea Gilligan, I would give her a bit more time to settle in. Teething issues are nothing new in radio. The bigwigs will most likely be looking at experimenting with the show format to find something that lands a bit better. They would, however, do themselves a massive favour by doing this sooner rather than later. It's a competitive slot, and you don't want the listeners to turn the dial to someone else.

mzungu wrote: »
    Joe rarely (if ever) states his opinion. He holds back on that, whilst gently nudging callers to dish out theirs.

As for Andrea Gilligan, I would give her a bit more time to settle in. Teething issues are nothing new in radio. The bigwigs will most likely be looking at experimenting with the show format to find something that lands a bit better. They would, however, do themselves a massive favour by doing this sooner rather than later. It's a competitive slot, and you don't want the listeners to turn the dial to someone else.
    Agree with all of this. She has been in the slot for eight months, though. That's an awful lot of opportunity to settle-in. Newstalk has some outstanding talent, and it's difficult to justify Gilligan competing with the News at One.

I'd like to see Jess Kelly get that programme. One of the best communicators at Newstalk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Here on Luchtime Live....
    Here on Lunchtime Live...
    Here on Lunchtime Live..
    Hardly a sentence goes by without this constant reminder.
    Stop it please, Andrea.

• Advertisement

mattser wrote: »
    Here on Luchtime Live....
    Here on Lunchtime Live...
    Here on Lunchtime Live..
    Hardly a sentence goes by without this constant reminder.
    Stop it please, Andrea.

Interminable. I've rarely heard someone batter home the name of the show more.

We've a text in here in the Lunchtime Live text number.

Next guest up here in Lunchtime Live.

Anywhere it can be said, it's said.

Advertisement