Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Madeleine McCann

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You are one of those people who gets a creepy “buzz” out of damning and criticising people who have publicly suffered horrendously. It’s so weird. What do you get out of this?

You are almost laughably trying to compare the McCanns sitting outside 50 yards away from where their children lay sleeping, as you might if you were sitting in the garden on a summers night, and checking on them every 1/2 hour or so, with another couple leaving their kid in an unlocked house and getting a taxi into town to get pissed.

That’s just sad.

And you’re doing it so you can get a bit of a kick out of metaphorically punching someone who’s lying on the ground unconscious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭tinytobe

I could ask you the same question, what do you get out of this?

The posting is very clear.

Strumms10:13 pm

What I cannot get my head around is… they made that decision as doctors…. Lots of medical experience, social experience, as well placed as anyone to see the bad in life….the potential for trouble….They’d have dealt with people who’ve been the victims of gruesome crime, assault, probably attempted murder, rape, molestation, etc…. If it was Peter and Una, two hippy middle class flower arrangers from Cornwall, you might say 🙄… naive pair….eejits etc….

but for two doctors to come to that decision just that it’s ok, to leave not just Madeline, but two year old twins, all unsupervised in a ground floor apartment … in a foreign country….that’s nuts…. Completely nuts…

they have serious culpability. As much as I’d empathise with them….

• Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

@tinytobe

What would give the McCanns the right to get off lightly from a legal perspective? ( Grief and compassion set a side, it's a legal question not a sobbing about loss of a child )

That they made errors in judgement while the worst of circumstances loomed around unbeknownst to them. Even today, most parents are not operating under the assumption that monstrous paedophiles are constantly lurking in the shadows, waiting to abduct their children at a moment's notice. If it's a pure legal question with the emotional aspect cast aside, I could theoretically make a case that Denise Bulger should be in the frame, legally, for negligence when she let go of her son's hand to turn around and pay for her shopping, thus giving her son's killers the opportunity to lead him away. I wouldn't, though, because that would be disgusting.

As harsh as it is, by leaving their children alone in an unlocked hotel room they've contributed to making this disappearance possible, and quite possibly also murder.

I would say the person who really makes a murder possible is the murderer. Mad one, I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,928 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

The possibility of abduction and probable murder was made possible by her parents, leaving her to go for a meal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,576 ✭✭✭✭briany

The possibility and probable murder was made possible by this hypothetical murderer sneaking into the apartment, abducting her and murdering her. That's the person who needs to be brought to justice if this is indeed what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,910 ✭✭✭Gusser09

Because you would expect your jewellery or car to be robbed. Nobody would expect a monster to kidnap and kill your child. Idiotic comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,698 ✭✭✭✭josip

And I came on here hoping to find some discussion about progress at the reservoir or what they were likely to find after all those years.

You'd expect they must have some solid intel to be searching like this. Certain tipp offs is what is being said so possibly the german confided in someone he had murdered Madeline and disposed of the body at this location. Id imagine german police also have digital evidence that he had contact with the poor kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,232 ✭✭✭TooTired123

You’ve reposted someone else’s contribution in response to me. Is there something wrong with this post? What point are you trying to make exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,912 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I wonder if the parents were dolers Anto and Sharon on the p!ss with their mates in a bar would the same empathy exist for them if their child was abducted from an unlocked and unsupervised apartment?

Anyway, the parents were not prosecuted so that's an end to that. Whether the child's remains will be found is anyone's guess. There have been numerous searches over the years, all ending in failure to locate anything.

I have actually written something on that. In Germany there was mention that the police were searching for Madeleine's pajama, the pink one she was wearing before her disappearance. They were also collecting other items of interest and packed them in beige bags to be examined by a lab. There was also the decision made to search for another day.

Other than that, nothing new was revealed. Somehow German police have the strong believe that Madeleine is dead and Brueckner was involved, and possibly also the killer. They must have had enough leads to go back to Portugal to search that reservoir again. They are also acting on hints as to the exact location on where they are conducting their search.

That's all I know so far.

It is presumed that real new information will be known and released after the lab reports are known.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I don't no how people can defend, or normalise the parents actions on that night, what they did was wrong on so many levels.

Nobody is defending or normalising them. Maybe just empathising with them. Yes they made a massive error. A huge mistake. But by god i wouldnt be crucifying them on top of what they have gone through. I really dont know how they are living with themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

Nobody is defending them but after 16years im sure they more then anyone looks back and asks what were they thinking. At the time however im sure they thought it wss safe seeing as the hotels they usually stay at offered this kind of service. (This one didnt as it was too spread out for the listener to patrol)

Now however it seems after all this time there is the biggest chance of actually finding out what happened to Madeleine and who might be responsible. It could also be a way of keeping C.B locked up because from the crimes he has been convicted of the creature doesnt deserve to see the light of day again.

Not only did they leave the door unlocked, they seemed to check up on the children ever 30 minutes, in some kind of a rotation system. This made things easy and predictable, - the perpetrator just needed to watch and he knew that the door was unlocked. Just 5 minutes after the the regular check up he made his move.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭MonkieSocks

=(:-) Me? I know who I am. I'm a dude playing a dude disguised as another dude (-:)=

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

why is this case getting 99.9 % of the air time and yet 1000's every year go missing and get none

Why don't you start a separate thread about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

all their money as doctors and couldn't even get a sitter or do what everybody else does , let the kids sleep in a buggy beside the table

they have the gall to come out and say " it's essential we know what has happened to Madeline on that night "

• Advertisement

One would hope and expect that investigators are holding something a bit more concrete back here. You would assume they have something which definitively links him to the child.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭nc6000

I've read into the case a good bit and I have my doubts over how frequent or regular the checks were. The other people at dinner also had kids left unattended and they all make it sound like they were up and down every few minutes, hardly worth going out at all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

If they had a definitive connection, then he would have been arrested and charged a year ago. He is a sicko who fits the profile of someone who might kidnap a child for sexual gratification and who was in the general area at the time of the abduction. That`s about it and I`ve seen nothing in the public domain that goes beyond that. Then of course one has to believe that this was an abduction to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

I watched the Netflix documentary last night and one of the Portuguese journalists made that very point. If the parents were getting up and sitting down every 30 minutes it would have been like a busy airport not a relaxing dinner. As you said, hardly any point going out.

Considering human nature, especially where there is drinking going on, how strict were they with the every 30 minutes? "I'll go now in a minute, oops the starters have just arrived, I'll have my starter and go then"...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,928 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Yes I’m trying to ‘protect’ a serious and evil criminal. 😒 cop on will ya.

we can’t talk about the criminal, because we simply don’t know who he , she or they are.

if the parents had been responsible and protected their child she still alive…. Not difficult to understand .

you can defend them all you like in as many posts as you like, attack as many posters of the opposite viewpoint with the snarky comments as you like.

but the facts are facts, Madelines kidnap was enabled by dreadful careless parenting…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭Sandor Clegane

I definitely empathise with them, obviously they didn't deserve what happened and they'll be carrying the weight and consequences of their actions for the rest of their lives.

I remember going to spain with family as a child myself and someone would always stay behind in the appartment if another was going out, you'd never ever be left on your own not even for a minute, it was just standard procedure and this was before any of the maddie stuff.

Anyway whats done is done, as you say they don't deserve to be crucified any further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,755 ✭✭✭lbunnae

The fact they left them along to begin with leaves me to believe there's not a chance they were up every 30mins. Horrible decision , horrible consequences.

Fully agree and understand. Not a hope I'd have left my kids alone like that at all. Just wouldn't cross my mind. As a family we'd always bring the kids out when we were having dinner no matter how late etc or we'd make plans to go earlier with all of the kids. Gone back to the bar at the resort and had a beer there. If we still wanted another beer it would have been back to the apartment and one there with the kids. I'll never understand why they and their friends done what they done. The mind boggles. They are paying the ultimate price now and the worst thing about it all is not knowing what really happened. That's the real nightmare of it all you would think.

The one thing I would say about Kate and Gerry is have they ever come out publicly about the night and leaving the kids alone? Going up every 30 minutes just isn't sufficient for toddlers anyway. Obviously they shouldn't have been alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭LambshankRedemption

Between the ages of about 2 and 8 I was fortunate enough to be taken on holidays to Portugal to a resort about 30km away from PDL. My parents were not rich, but I distinctly remember a few times them getting a babysitter for us and them going out for dinner just the two of them. 30 odd years later I still remember one of them reading The Family Ness books to us. I don't know what they charged but I really can't imagine it was very much in those days. I just looked it up, even today, the minimum wage in Portugal is 4.40 euro. In 2007 I'm sure you could have gotten a sitter for 10 euros for the night without having to get up every 30 minutes.

My parents would have gotten a sitter mayybe one night of the holiday, and the other nights we went out with them, and either played in the sand while they finished dinner, or as another poster said, fell asleep in the buggy.

• Advertisement

They must have, otherwise they won't organize such an investigation and revisit that reservoir. The main assumption is that the German police found among Brueckner's possessions pictures of Madeleine possibly being recognizably dead on his USB sticks? As they seem to be focusing on a certain area, they must have gotten that tip off from somewhere or someone and a compelling reason to search. And then there is a cost factor as well as a coordination factor between police forces necessary. I don't know when and if an official police update is expected? I suppose maybe before they take everything to the lab and call the search off - for the time being?

Advertisement