Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone use a camera for your own protection?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,626 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    What's the best way to contact Dublin Bus about this?

I emailed: info@dublinbus.ie
    and cc-ed: customercomment@dublinbus.ie

and they reply with a Case Reference.

My email also included still footage captures.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

And rightly so. If Gardai had to persue cases based on go pro footage sent in by every outraged cyclist then they and the courts would be swamped and get nothing else done.

Well that's just misleading. Gardai don't have to pursue every case, just those with clear footage where they think an offence is committed. And there are plenty of offences which can just be a FCPN, no need to go through the courts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

buffalo wrote: »
    Well that's just misleading. Gardai don't have to pursue every case, just those with clear footage where they think an offence is committed. And there are plenty of offences which can just be a FCPN, no need to go through the courts.

Did anything ever come of that case up by the 5 Lamps on Amiens Street a year or so ago where the Taxi Driver deliberately attempted to strike the cyclist and it was caught on camera?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

And rightly so. If Gardai had to persue cases based on go pro footage sent in by every outraged cyclist then they and the courts would be swamped and get nothing else done.

It is right that complaints actioned are just those that are geniunely necessary and legitimate.

Like people ring in ranting and complaining about this that and the other and are then asked "well would you be prepared to come into the station and give a statement and then spend a day in court to give evidence ?" ....That usually focuses the mind and calms most of them down and it ends there because they realise that what they are complaining about isn't worth half the effort of what is required for the courts to deal with it.
    The law is clear about dangerous overtaking of cyclists yet the gardai can decide not to bother pursuing it.
    I've been overtaken dangerously by cars in 24/7 buslanes yet formally reporting to gardai went nowhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

That is the reality.

If gardai were to investigate every report of every outraged cyclist who alleged that they got passed at less than 1.5m, sure they'd get nothing else done.

The law is the law of course, and it is very clear, as it should be, but in reality the law and what is enforceable and what is worth enforcing in practice is different.

You do realise that Gardai have bigger fish to fry than SB who had a car pass him at 1.42m. Armed drugs gangs, rural crime and travelling theft gangs, public order, emergency response.

You might not like to hear it, but in the scheme of things it is a fairly mickey mouse law that is never going to be high on the priorities and will mostly only be brought up and prosecuted under in the event that there was an accident which was clearly associated to an unsafe pass. Perhaps a few isolated prosecutions here or there just to nail some cute hoor that they couldn't nail for what they actually wanted them for, or to make a point about it.

There is idealism of how we would like things to be and realism of how things actually are in the everyday world. I suggest you bring your mindset more into tune with the latter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

Thinking about picking up a camera after a experiencing a few recent close passes. Is it more important to have a front or rear facing camera to start off with?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Mc Love wrote: »
    Whats the best (or the least best to save space on the card) quality to film in if you're cycling?

I would aim for high frame rate, 720p seems to capture details just fine. The lower the frame rate and definition, the longer the battery should last.

I would say minimum 60fps, and minimum 720p, preferably 1080p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

CramCycle wrote: »
    I would aim for high frame rate, 720p seems to capture details just fine. The lower the frame rate and definition, the longer the battery should last.

I never knew the fps affected battery life. Everyday is a school day. I'll reduce mine today.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If gardai were to investigate every report of every outraged cyclist who alleged that they got passed at less than 1.5m, sure they'd get nothing else done.

If that was so if they simply applied fixed penalties on every case with a written statement supported by strong video evidence they could fill there coffers for minimal resources. Doesn't take much of an investigation and those contesting a fixed penalty notice who are in the wrong are liable to land far bigger fines plus court costs and a possible ban. Once road users know that dangerous driving is something they can't easily get away with, they'll be far more reluctant to do it.

I never knew the fps affected battery life. Everyday is a school day. I'll reduce mine today.

Depends on the camera and it isn't typically major AFAIK. With some Go Pros it reduces it by about 5 to 10%, image quality also seems to have an affect as well which is way more varied. There are other factors as well, so the camera might be doing loads of other things so this is barely noticeable, or it might be.

If your only using it for commuting, chances are the battery will last for most commutes, I wouldn't get overly concerned myself.

Your query was space on the card, so the lower the image quality, the less space it will take, same with frame rates. Lower frame rates are smaller memory needs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,052 ✭✭✭buffalo

That is the reality.

Are you suggesting that because the problem is so widespread, it would be too much to tackle every single offence, so we should ignore all of it?
    Like people ring in ranting and complaining about this that and the other and are then asked "well would you be prepared to come into the station and give a statement and then spend a day in court to give evidence ?" ....That usually focuses the mind and calms most of them down and it ends there because they realise that what they are complaining about isn't worth half the effort of what is required for the courts to deal with it.

Or are you suggesting the Gardai should prioritise based on how insistent a complainant is, rather than the seriousness of the offence?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

As a poster with known anti-cycling sentiments I think perhaps TheBoyConor would suggest yes to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Ive heard incidence over the last couple of weeks where motorists have used dash cam footage to report cyclists breaking lights (I've a mate who's a Guard).

I don't have a camera and prob won't get one to be honest mainly because I don't think anything would be done if I were to report it

Ive heard incidence over the last couple of weeks where motorists have used dash cam footage to report cyclists breaking lights (I've a mate who's a Guard).

I don't have a camera and prob won't get one to be honest mainly because I don't think anything would be done if I were to report it

Great if they are. I mean I doubt anything actually happens as there are so few cyclists breaking lights and in reality, even fewer posing a danger (although there are some). I've submitted footage of cars breaking lights on my commute, clear footage, light and vehicle in shot, on several occasions over 12 vehicles per light rotation. The Gardai look at you like you have two heads. If your mate wants to rack up a ton of easy convictions though, I'd be happy to start sending him footage and provide statements on a daily basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

CramCycle wrote: »

Going to chance 720 @60 and see how I get on. On the Ghost x, the 1080p has HDR listed as the fps but you could have 30fps, next one down is 960p, but will try the 720p

• Registered Users Posts: 28,420 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It is right that complaints actioned are just those that are geniunely necessary and legitimate.

It seems to work OK in the UK without requiring written statements.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/carltonreid/2020/03/08/dangerous-driving-convictions-soar-via-video-uploads-to-police/

It's almost as if people can make sensible decisions on their own about submissions.

tenor.gif?itemid=11590179

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Reality_Check1

Almost as if fate would have it - car pulled into the cycle lane on front of me today and I had to bail out! couldn't get one of my clips out in time so went down harder than I would have liked :(

They drove off and I didn't get the Reg but my point still stands even if I did report it I doubt anything gets done sadly

I've often wondered if it was worthwhile making a statement and then getting their insurance details via the gardai.
    Then I'd make a claim based on time and costs incurred in reporting the driver. I wouldn't be benefiting financially but it would affect their insurance which might make them think twice next time!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Can you do that through the Gardai?

• Advertisement

Get their insurance details? Yes you can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Get their insurance details? Yes you can.

They'll probably tell you it's a civil matter and close the door on you.

Or ask if you had your hivis and were in the cycle lane :rolleyes:

I've a (bogus) claim in against me by a taxi driver who got my details from AGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

I never cycle without my cameras, front,rear & a Mobius on my helmet. It's a bit of a pain tbh, but has to be done IMO.

A camera saved me a lot of hassle when I got knocked off my bike in Jan 2015. I went from dealing with a very apologetic van driver to having been the lad who cycled into him! :eek:

I've a (bogus) claim in against me by a taxi driver who got my details from AGS.

How does that work? Retaliation for a complaint you made, or what?

It is actually a criminal offence in itself to allege that someone else committed a criminal offence.

How does that work? Retaliation for a complaint you made, or what?

It is actually a criminal offence in itself to allege that someone else committed a criminal offence.
    Without going into too many details, there was an incident of my doing (hands up) which was as close to a non-event as is possible so no insurance details were exchanged except he asked for my mobile number and reg in case his passenger started complaining of injury
    Over a month later a garda called me asking me to present my details as the driver was lodging a personal injury claim.
    Garda (off the record) agreed that it was most likely bogus but nothing to do with them.
    Insurance company are treating it as a bogus claim.

Without going into too many details, there was an incident of my doing (hands up) which was as close to a non-event as is possible so no insurance details were exchanged except he asked for my mobile number and reg in case his passenger started complaining of injury
    Over a month later a garda called me asking me to present my details as the driver was lodging a personal injury claim.
    Garda (off the record) agreed that it was most likely bogus but nothing to do with them.
    Insurance company are treating it as a bogus claim.

Gotcha. So not a cycling incident then.

Gotcha. So not a cycling incident then.
    Sorry, didn't mean it to sound like it was cycling related.
    However, My point was simply that AGS will facilitate the obtaining of motor insurance details for a potential claim.

Advertisement