Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on paths and other cycling issues (updated title)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

07Lapierre wrote: »
    But, But you don't even know me! Do you? :D

I said as a group. In the end it's about what you project not who you actually are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,708 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

liamog wrote: »
    It's attitudes like this that annoy me about some members of the cycling lobby. There are people in all modes of transport that behave terribly on the roads. From pedestrians who play chicken, cyclists on pavements, motorists breaking red lights, taxi drivers who cut off everybody, bus drivers who don't know the size of their vehicle. Tarring everybody with the same brush just put's people on the defensive.

Most motorists would probably love proper segregated cycle facilities as it removes conflict between drastically different road users, but instead of trying to reach a mutually beneficial solution we end up slinging mud at each other because of a few bad apples.

Presumably you are also concerned about the kind of 'law breaking scum' 'menacing with intent' tarring of cyclists that we've seen here?

Everybody agrees that there are people who behave terribly on all sides. The elephant in the room is that when drivers behave terribly, the outcome can be in a disastrously different league to when cyclists or pedestrians behave terribly. It's not a level playing field.

And really, it's not about a few bad apples. If you look at the speeding rates and mobile phone usage rates of Irish drivers, it is more like a few good apples.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Most motorists would probably love proper segregated cycle facilities as it removes conflict between drastically different road users, but instead of trying to reach a mutually beneficial solution we end up slinging mud at each other because of a few bad apples.

Much as I'd love to believe this, it's sadly not true. If it were, answer me this:

Why, everytime there's a positive story trying to promote cycling infrastructure (which would open up cycling for everyone), the comments fill up with the same tiredold comments about breaking red lights, riding 5 abreast, lycra, tour-de-france wannabes, tights, helmet, hi-viz etc etc etc etc.

And lets not forget a healthy splodge of how "cyclists" need to start paying road tax before they get "given" anything.

None of those things have anything to do with the topic of opening up cycling for everybody.

It's been proved in other countries that cycle infrastructure, done properly, benefits everybody, including drivers. However, there's a certain mindset here that prevents certain people from seeing that bigger picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

meeeeh wrote: »
    constant stream of superiority.

The sooner you realise the truth that those of use that cycle (and drive) are much more superior, the sooner the thread can end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,929 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

After decades of commuting by bike and causing no problems whatsoever for anyone, I'm just sick to teeth of every discussion on cycling in all media becomes a tirade against people just trying to get around. It's ridiculous.

• Advertisement

It's attitudes like this that annoy me about some members of the cycling lobby.

You've absolutely know way of knowing, we're not allowed so show our membership cards unless approached with the secret handshake, so you're just guessing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Hurrache wrote: »
    The sooner you realise the truth that those of use that cycle (and drive) are much more superior, the sooner the thread can end.

Personally I think Runners are superior to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

it wasn't derailed at all. It just continues to create constant stream of superiority. I think we established that some of you think you are better than everyone else. This thread is about nothing else for a long time.

Some of choose a means of transport that is indeed far superior to a single occupant car for many commuting scenarios. It uses less road space, causes zero congestion, zero pollution and is a cheap way of getting from A to B. We also enjoy superior health resulting from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

ewc78 wrote: »
    Personally I think Runners are superior to everyone.

As a runner and a cyclist, does that make be doubly superior?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

Duckjob wrote: »
    Why, everytime there's a positive story trying to promote cycling infrastructure (which would open up cycling for everyone), the comments fill up with the same tiredold comments about breaking red lights, riding 5 abreast, lycra, tour-de-france wannabes, tights, helmet, hi-viz etc etc etc etc.

I think because people experience this a lot, it's irritating being stuck behind a cyclist(s) without anywhere safe to overtake.
    If it only happened once or twice a month it wouldn't be an issue, no one would talk about it ever. But it happens motorists regularly, and then they get the rage, and hence they complain about it.

What's worse is 20 cars queued up trying to get past on a country road, they could be waiting 5/10 mins to get past.
    The cyclist can't keep stopping every time a car comes up behind them, they'd never get where they want to go.

Cyclist break red lights often cause it's a pain in the hole to go from a stop to moving at optimal speed again.
    If it's super safe to do so I've not issue with them doing it. If anything goes wrong, it's they that's going under the wheels. They are responsible for their own safety in such scenarios
    And lets not forget a healthy splodge of how "cyclists" need to start paying road tax before they get "given" anything.

I don't think they should pay tax, but rules of the road/licence wouldn't go a miss.
    Also I think all bikes should have a VIN and visible registration plate.
    None of those things have anything to do with the topic of opening up cycling for everybody.

It's been proved in other countries that cycle infrastructure, done properly, benefits everybody, including drivers. However, there's a certain mindset here that prevents certain people from seeing that bigger picture.

Maybe...
    Irish people have a very different mindset than our EU neighbors.

Case in question:
    €2,500,00 spent on an off road cycle way between Baldoyle and Portmarnock, and there are still cyclists using the Road because There are to many people on the cycle lane and the lads that are out for 60k cycle complain that they're being held up... Ironic :D

I do absolutely think that there should be more cycle lanes such as the one between Baldoyle and Portmarnock and the one on the Coast road up to Fairview. There are a few little design mistakes on both cycle lanes but mostly it's grand.
    However in such a circumstance, where cycle lane like this exists, the cyclist should be obligated to use it and stay off Road.

Will it ever happen though..... Eh No!

The Infra in our cities is in need to desperate upgrades having being neglected for years.
    Electricity
    Water
    Roads
    Comms
    etc
    It's all creaking....

• Advertisement

I think because people experience this a lot, it's irritating being stuck behind a cyclist(s) without anywhere safe to overtake.
    If it only happened once or twice a month it wouldn't be an issue, no one would talk about it ever. But it happens motorists regularly, and then they get the rage, and hence they complain about it.

What's worse is 20 cars queued up trying to get past on a country road, they could be waiting 5/10 mins to get past.
    The cyclist can't keep stopping every time a car comes up behind them, they'd never get where they want to go.

Cyclist break red lights often cause ......

but rules of the road/licence wouldn't go a miss.

Maybe...
    Irish people have a very different mindset than our EU neighbors.

Case in question:
    €2,500,00 spent on an off road cycle way between Baldoyle and Portmarnock, and there are still cyclists using the Road because There are to many people on the cycle lane and the lads that are out for 60k cycle complain that they're being held up... Ironic :D

I do absolutely think that there should be more cycle lanes such as the one between Baldoyle and Portmarnock and the one on the Coast road up to Fairview. There are a few little design mistakes on both cycle lanes but mostly it's grand.
    However in such a circumstance, where cycle lane like this exists, the cyclist should be obligated to use it and stay off Road.

Will it ever happen though..... Eh No!

The Infra in our cities is in need to desperate upgrades having being neglected for years.
    Electricity
    Water
    Roads
    Comms
    etc
    It's all creaking....

In you come barging with a huge brush hitting everywhere in hope you get some coverage.

Everything you said has been said, and easily discredited, repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Case in question:

Billions spent on motorways across the state, and there are still motorists using the back roads because there are too many people on the motorway and the lads that are out for 60k drive complain that they're being held up... Ironic :D

Why specifically is it frustrating to be stuck behind a cyclist that you will almost certainly eventually get to overtake, but not frustrating to spend hours stuck in traffic jams, doing average speeds less than the average cyclist?

Have you worked out yet that the more people cycle, the less people that are in the line of cars in front of you?

I don't think they should pay tax, but rules of the road/licence wouldn't go a miss.

They already have Rules of the Road and VINs.

What value do you think that licence will have, in the context of the 2 or 3 people killed by motorists each week?

What value do you think that visible registration plates will have in the context of the 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits, all with visible registration plates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Billions spent on motorways across the state, and there are still motorists using the back roads because there are too many people on the motorway and the lads that are out for 60k drive complain that they're being held up... Ironic :D

I know at least one country with better cycling infrastructure where you would be fined for not using cycling lane where it is provided. Or for walking or cycling through the red light.

A lot of people here compare the infrastructure to other countries, none compare law enforcement and laws in those countries with superior infrastructure. I saw someone stated a thread the other day if it's ok to cycle drunk. I didn't check the thread so I don't know what the answer was but it's bad enough they needed to ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,860 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I know at least one country with better cycling infrastructure where you would be fined for not using cycling lane where it is provided. Or for walking or cycling through the red light.

A lot of people here compare the infrastructure to other countries, none compare law enforcement and laws in those countries with superior infrastructure. I saw someone stated a thread the other day if it's ok to cycle drunk. I didn't check the thread so I don't know what the answer was but it's bad enough they needed to ask.

And I might know of a country that takes motorists killing cyclists seriously.

I'll let you into a secret, it used to be a legal obligation to use a cycle lane if one was provided here too. But sense prevailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,222 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I said as a group. In the end it's about what you project not who you actually are.

When you think of “cyclists” what do you see? What are they “projecting? Do you see all motorists in the same way?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

07Lapierre wrote: »
    When you think of “cyclists” what do you see?

fat-man-riding-a-small-bicycle-picture-id529435829?k=6&m=529435829&s=612x612&w=0&h=qZR-k6UsJksLyxivpHF2pvsfBPe6BXDkh6vf0_VMvxQ=

Guess i asked for that. When's your school reopening? :D

• Advertisement

DISCLAIMER: I'm a motorcyclist and I WFH so none of the above or below applies to me. Cyclists don't hold me up :D
    And they can have the city centre if they want it, I've no need to go there ever again!

Zebra3 wrote: »

I think it's more they don't want to pay the toll more so than anything else.
    I'll always use the motorway if I need to get somewhere fast.
    Why specifically is it frustrating to be stuck behind a cyclist that you will almost certainly eventually get to overtake, but not frustrating to spend hours stuck in traffic jams, doing average speeds less than the average cyclist?

Have you worked out yet that the more people cycle, the less people that are in the line of cars in front of you?

That would involved the average motorist having to look at themselves in the mirror... and that's not going to happen.
    I will say though that when I do use the car it's only to collect my kid as he lives 30k round trip away.
    Apart from that my car sits in the driveway Monday to Friday
    They already have Rules of the Road and VINs.

What value do you think that licence will have, in the context of the 2 or 3 people killed by motorists each week?

I don't know where you're getting the 2 or 3 a week being killed
    I had google there and it says 83 cyclists were killed between 2010 and 2018 that works out at 0.2 a week.

In any case, even if they thought the use of a lifesaver, large amounts of cyclists do not do this. I notice because I'm on a motorcycle.
    What value do you think that visible registration plates will have in the context of the 98% of drivers breaking urban speed limits, all with visible registration plates?

Theft, there's heaps of bikes nicked in Dublin every year.
    Also, Regulation is a good thing.
    I've a helmet cam and record everything, I report dopes driving cars like dopes all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

I saw someone stated a thread the other day if it's ok to cycle drunk. I didn't check the thread so I don't know what the answer was but it's bad enough they needed to ask.

If you like I can use my telepathic link to the collective to retrieve "the answer" from the high council for you.

Seriously, some random person posts something on a forum that is available to anybody. Are you actually drawing some conclusion from that? (bearing in mind, by your own admission you didn't bother reading any of the replies)

meeeeh wrote:
    I know at least one country with better cycling infrastructure where you would be fined for not using cycling lane where it is provided.

If you're referring to Netherlands please see recent post of mine where I addressed this:

I don't know where you're getting the 2 or 3 a week being killed.

Hes referring to the total number of road deaths per year, not just cyclists.
    148 deaths in 2019.

https://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Fatal%20Collision%20Stats/Provisional_Reviews_of_Fatal_Collisions/RRD_Res_20191231_RSAProvisionalReviewFatalities31December2019_03Jan2020.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

Theft, there's heaps of bikes nicked in Dublin every year.
    Also, Regulation is a good thing.
    So registration plates stop cars from being robbed?

Is a regulatory measure a good thing if it decreases the number of cyclists during a climate and health emergency?

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

micar wrote: »
    As a runner and a cyclist, does that make be doubly superior?

Just need to add swimming now to achieve peak superiority!

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭FinnC

Fred_ wrote: »

They probably help in a lot of them recovered and returned to the rightful owner afterwards.

Fred_ wrote: »

Is a regulatory measure a good thing if it decreases the number of cyclists during a climate and health emergency?

Self regulation or no regulation = Bad

We've seen this time, after time, after time.

Banks
    Builders
    Taxis
    etc

Regulation benefits all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Fred_

Banks
    Builders
    Taxis
    etc

Regulation benefits all.
    No it does not. Poor regulation doesn't benefit all. Regulation against the use of cycling for transport would benefit no one. More traffic. More pollution. More consumer debt.

Banks
    Builders
    Taxis
    etc

Regulation benefits all.

So you'd be in favour of increased regulation of motorists and motorcyclists to address the worrying death toll on the roads, presumably?

Mandatory tachographs for all, mandatory annual training, mandatory retesting every 3-5 years?

Regulation benefits all, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭micar

FinnC wrote: »
    Just need to add swimming now to achieve peak superiority!

I used to be a triathlete........but not anyone more......sooooooo close to peak superiority

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement