Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU Biodiversity strategy 2030

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If you can come up with a coherent methodology and credible partners I'd say that you've a potential EIP project there.

I would say that maybe some of your other views might come against you though and might want to be toned down or even reconsidered.

It might be challenging for some to take a novel proposal to facilitate continued peatland agriculture seriously from one who also views biodiversity as an existential threat.

Hold on a second.

What views?

I don't view biodiversity as a threat. I see the Biodiversity strategy for 2030 and the Nature protection law's as man made agendas. Rather like the naming of Mao's secret police, Ministry of Public Security. Just because a thing sounds good doesn't mean it is.

That is the problem with the green agenda. If one holds a view different from the religion, one is pro burning the planet. It's not on.

There is more than one road to take here to get to a healthy place. The issue arises when some peoples view of Nirvana is challenged. These are emotional outbursts, not scientific curiosity.

As for the EIP, yeah it's been suggested to me. However the problem is time, the PTB don't want to wait for results. I have not been made aware of credible alternatives being brought up with politicians, which might sway their opinion as opposed to a DUP style just say NO!

As for the way I put things across, I'll just say I got a phone call one day asking my opinion on a project, I asked if the caller was sure I was the right person to ask? The reply I got was "If I wanted a yes man I'd have rang one of the neighbours".

🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Jonnyc135

You seem like ur trying to gaslight herdquitter and other posters on this regarding bio diversity. Any of the main posters on this thread are in no way against bio diversity, we are trying to come up with alternatives to enforced blanked rewetting across the board.

Go back read the thread, carbon farming has potential but not in its current form as detailed by the EU, as stored carbon can not be traded or linked to the land it is dismal and with the scars from designation os SPACs 20 odd years ago the scars are still there and people in those areas will not be fooled or made and idiot out of again.

Out of curiosity what views does Herdquitter have that have to be 'Toned Down'

Ah no , you've the wrong end of the stick there.

I apologise to Herdquitter if I have misinterpreted an earlier statement that biodiversity was an existential threat, which was the only view and poster referred to. I'm not sure but it now appears that this was referring to specific EU/National biodiversity plans as against pro- biodiversity policies in general?

While the idea of being able to biologically stabilise/neutralise carbon losses from peatlands is worthy, I was just thinking that for the proposal to have weight that it would need to be trialled, evaluated and proven, as otherwise suggested too.

I had read the thread and thanked many posts along the way.

I assume it's more trolling or WUMming your accusing me of? Gaslighting is slightly different, think more coercive control.

• Advertisement

Jesus that is big news, they are basically the main political party in the EU. Hopefully they see some sense and water this down big time.

This maybe the bit of hope we needed. Fingers crossed the democratic process in the EU holds up and acts accordingly not to the tune of big buissness and NGOs, big if though.

Defiantly more optimistic after seeing this though.

Maybe I shouldn't burn the EPP European party bag I got at the fine gael tent at the ploughing last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Just be aware that the EPP have their own big business agenda via the like of Copa Cogeaca who are heavily funded by the Agri Chemical industry, Feedlot Meat Processors etc. Also the EPP would be strongly against any CAP reform that would ensure a fairer spread of SFP money to smaller farmers in marginal areas etc. Their Blueshirt members also support the controversial Mercosur deal that would potentially hit beef farmers pretty hard. Their guff about Food security has also been recently exposed by their blocking of grain imports from prospective EU candidate countries

The enemy of my enemy and all that, for a period of time anyway.

In other news, like with the kremlin, don't believe it until it's denied

Thanks but no apology necessary 👍️

I look across the Irish sea to see how well James Rebanks and Caroline Grindrod work together, how that relationship has benefited both his business and the environment. That's how this stuff ought to work. I'd like to work like that.

Then I look around back here and lament at the letter scratching failed GE candidates et al dictating to the peasants as what to do. That's my objection to these things. As a farmer I'm described as a stakeholder, but it's a nonsense and well I know it. The relationships here are broken, well and truly. Here it's you should thanks us for your 30 magic beans while we destroy any notion you may have had for your own place.

My limited information on the subject informs me the PTB don't want more trials. They want a fast box ticking exercise and who cares who suffers because of that. We've a history of doing that in farming in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,663 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

I think we can both agree that Ryan is a clown - same guy has power to re-wild state land via Coillte, BNM etc.and achieve many of the aims of these EU measures without bothering any farmer, but won't do it!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,680 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Easier to pick a fight with farmers than powerful civil service and semi-states. Ryan might well act the clown but he's a passive-aggressive bully at the back of it - he knows what fights to pick.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

It sure will. It's like the hope of a stay of execution at the 11th hour.

The Green party are really an authoritarian movement (Mao's China) at the back of it all - The green agenda does not really care about the environment per say, its about control whilst allowing the main elites and corporate emitters a free run. They a feudalistic party, they want full control of food, shelter, energy and money all in order to control the people.

Fine Gael are really an authoritarian movement (Mao's China) at the back of it all - Their agenda does not really care about the environment per say, its about control whilst allowing the main elites and corporate emitters a free run. They a feudalistic party, they want full control of food, shelter, energy and money all in order to control the people.

Sinn Fein are really an authoritarian movement (Mao's China) at the back of it all - Their agenda does not really care about the environment per say, its about control whilst allowing the main elites and corporate emitters a free run. They a feudalistic party, they want full control of food, shelter, energy and money all in order to control the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭older by the day

Look at all the new planes Ryan air have on order and the expected air travel in the next few years. The plonkers telling me that my few cows and the trailer of turf I cut is ruining the environment.

God help the lefties that call to my yard looking for votes next year. It's all a crock of Shiite

And Michael O'Leary doesn't waste his time "meeting Ministers" to get what he wants. He seems to have a simple approach: get out into the media, tell everyone what you're doing in plain English, and put the Govt/EU on the backfoot before they struggle out of bed to clock in for their first meeting at 10am.

I'm no fan of O'Leary but the farm reps could do with taking a leaf out of his PR book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

MOL runs a business. He is the boss. He dictates direction of travel for his business.

No emissions reduction target, no nitrates targets nor reductions, scott free, not because he puts a simple approach in the media, but because the public want to keep flying and governments want to keep people moving trading and spending, and the nature of an International Airline can't be held to account in any one jurisdiction.....they can't even tax the fuel.

If a farm organisation dictated direction of travel for it's members, 360° would be enough compass points for the amount of directions farmers would take off in.

• Advertisement

Demanding members to basically destroy the social fabric of rural Ireland.

What f'ing arseholes, my god. To makes things worse our Commisioner is backing it even though her EPP party is against it. Easy knowing she's from the East and it will have no impact on her local area.

God almighty, I would describe myself as a Conservative put progressive part time farmer full time Renewable Energy Engineer, educated, working for a Multinational company and extremely progressive in terms of sustainable farming practices - My god I used often think of voting Green years ago, but they are a holy show they really have some serious agenda at play here. Destroy rural Ireland, control food and energy and infringe on people property rights seems to be their main goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,947 ✭✭✭alps

MMG has moved position completly to the narrative that Irish Farmers just have to suck it up and get on with it.

Europe (whoever decides) knows best, all this is a done deal, its going to happen now regardless, and better for all if we just move on.

She can put this in a very eloquent way, but her message is savage.

I watched her speak well bare face lie to the people in the Fine Gael tent at the ploughing last year about how they would ensure a thriving rural Ireland and agriculture sector yada yada yada. The dog on the roads knows, even the DG agri in Europe had leaked memos stating the detrimental effects of this regulation will have on rural communities.

I actually would go so far as using the word hate now - I hate these lieing so called elected elites. Fu$k the lot of them, comming from a progressive, educated, sustainable farmer, shows how much they have gone against even the more open minded and progressive thinking people how delusional they are.

They will cause serious divisions and break rural society, and that will end up breaking Ireland much like the UK.

Words are cheap, my god she's even worse than the greens, blatant lier.

All these top eleites in power have just became so far removed from the people that elect them and reality.

Timmermans at the EU Ag Committee on the NRL, haven't watched it yet so don't know what if any value is in it.

Interesting, so now I am to vote FG & SF to support my own thinking, oh my head.

In the word of Jeremy Clarkson YESSSSSSSSSSSS! Now to see what happens next.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

It'll be Lisbon treaty all over again, they'll keep going until they have their way.

Possibly, but it's heartening to see a little friction. SM babbling about the vote being anti environment but I'll contrast it again with James Rebanks & Caroline Grindrod working in harmony in the UK, while here we have the religious letter scratchers seeking dominance over the land, literally.

It's unfortunate, from my perspective, some MEP's think money will solve the perception of the NRL. My experience last time with designations was the meagre funding evaporated while the laws of what I am disallowed to do on my own land, and the devaluation of same, and prohibition of many income generating actions remained.

Biodiversity for 2030 and the NRL are more of the same on steroids.

Anyone advocating for the NRL, with whatever sweetners, is advocating for the landowner to lose control of that land permanently while the sweetner is only temporary.

Positive news, I would hope these debates and friction will rumble on and consessions will have to be made in terms of the whole regulation.

• Advertisement

I read English Pastoral when it came out first, then gave it to the local charity shop with a load of other books. I’ve just ordered it online again and looking forward to re-reading it

Advertisement