Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Told I have to send faulty laptop to manufacturer myself?

Options
  • 27-05-2020 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭

Hey lads,

I have a Razor laptop. I bought it May 2019 and it started acting up in March and then broke down completely last week. I know it a hard drive issue.

So I went into Curry's last weekend. The shop was closed but they let me in cause I had my laptop with me and I had hospital staff ID.

So yesterday they ring me and inform me I need to collect my laptop from the store ( that was in a big package ready to be sent off ) and that I need to send it to Razor myself ????????? :confused:

They said its due to GDPR issues ? I told them I'm hospital staff and I'm trying to avoid the city centre for obvious reasons.

Are they able to do this ??? It makes no sense to me at all.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're responsible for your consumer rights and can't send you off to the manufacturer; however it can be easier to deal with them in some circumstances. What date in May did you buy it on?

As goes GDPR, that's basically an excuse based on the idea they may see data on the machine.

I'm fairly certain no recent Razer machines would have hard drives - if its a failed SSD don't expect to get any data back. Actually, never expect to get any data back if sending a machine for repair as a reimage is basically default behaviour.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭DisneyLover

L1011 wrote: »
    They're responsible for your consumer rights and can't send you off to the manufacturer; however it can be easier to deal with them in some circumstances. What date in May did you buy it on?

As goes GDPR, that's basically an excuse based on the idea they may see data on the machine.

I'm fairly certain no recent Razer machines would have hard drives - if its a failed SSD don't expect to get any data back. Actually, never expect to get any data back if sending a machine for repair as a reimage is basically default behaviour.

Auto correct and half asleep sorry Razer ** lol

Em Ill have to check my receipt later but early May and I have a 2 year warranty !

They rang me and said they can't deal with Razer I have to do it myself. GDPR was mentioned, I told them I literally used my laptop for 1 game and Netflix, I dont care who sees it or what gets deleted. That it isn't up to them to send my laptop off to Razer Germany for repair, its up to me !

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,845 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The path of least resistance is probably dealing with Razer, although its not right. I'd get in contact with Razer and if they're looking for you to send it at your own expense, go back to Currys; point out that GDPR has nothing to do with what they think it does and that they are responsible for your consumer rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act; not the manufacturer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

L1011 wrote:
    The path of least resistance is probably dealing with Razer, although its not right. I'd get in contact with Razer and if they're looking for you to send it at your own expense, go back to Currys; point out that GDPR has nothing to do with what they think it does and that they are responsible for your consumer rights under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act; not the manufacturer

Deal with them in writing also. If they don't budge i would go the small claims court route

I just dont get why they're asking me to do it ! I would do it normally but I can't go to town with a parent at home ill and I work in a hospital.. I might try ring the shop later and ask for the manager ? I am waiting on a twitter reply from Currys and Razer atm

• Advertisement

Because they don't want the hassle and its an easy excuse.

Because they don't want the hassle and its an easy excuse.

Grand so ring them and mention Sale of Goods act best option

• Registered Users Posts: 26 noa2020

Grand so ring them and mention Sale of Goods act best option

Not sure that would be the best option to be honest. I’ve no idea why they’re asking you to deal with the manufacturer especially after taking it in (maybe if the service centre is currently closed, not sure though) but it’s guaranteed that the info isn’t coming directly from the customer service employee or even the store itself.

When I worked in retail, the minute someone started quoting various sales acts to me (usually incorrectly, ironically), I’d become a lot less flexible on the situation and start conversing defensively. To me, it just felt like when the customer came in and explained the situation/problem to me, we’d work together to find the best/most reasonable solution but when the sales of goods act came out, it turned into a them vs me situation.

My best advice would be try and re-explain your situation in a calm and friendly manner and hopefully they’ll send it off for you.

noa2020 wrote: »
    Not sure that would be the best option to be honest. I’ve no idea why they’re asking you to deal with the manufacturer especially after taking it in (maybe if the service centre is currently closed, not sure though) but it’s guaranteed that the info isn’t coming directly from the customer service employee or even the store itself.

When I worked in retail, the minute someone started quoting various sales acts to me (usually incorrectly, ironically), I’d become a lot less flexible on the situation and start conversing defensively. To me, it just felt like when the customer came in and explained the situation/problem to me, we’d work together to find the best/most reasonable solution but when the sales of goods act came out, it turned into a them vs me situation.

My best advice would be try and re-explain your situation in a calm and friendly manner and hopefully they’ll send it off for you.

When dealing with staff trained to be "computer says no" and also trained in UK consumer laws as Currys/PCWorld mostly have, you need to go hard with actual Irish law pretty quickly to get anywhere.

When dealing with staff trained to be "computer says no" and also trained in UK consumer laws as Currys/PCWorld mostly have, you need to go hard with actual Irish law pretty quickly to get anywhere.

I'm talking to their support on Twitter in private messages and they told me they don't deliver small items that I need to collect it ???? What in the name of god like

• Advertisement

Hi There, if you took the laptop into store then it would be upto you to collect.

I appreciate that this is inconvenient however Unfortunately we cannot offer a delivery service for small items from stores

Regards

.... I Don't want my laptop I want them to send it to Germany for me. I've a 2 year warranty on it too !

Semi automated replies from someone who doesn't speak English well in a call centre

Semi automated replies from someone who doesn't speak English well in a call centre

He had a British name but clearly didn't understand what I was talking about!

Fake Anglophone names are quite common in those setups.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Yet another thread about the lack of service by Currys / PCWorld

I learnt long ago never to purchase an item from them as their customer service vies with Eir to be the worst in Ireland

They had a Talk To forum here with actually good and useful staff.

The person responsible for it moved on, and everything went back to how it had been before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Bikerman2019

They had a Talk To forum here with actually good and useful staff.

The person responsible for it moved on, and everything went back to how it had been before.

I don't think that is correct. The guy didn't move on, I believe it was Declan, who was quite high up in the organisation, and his position was abolished in favour of command from the UK.

Currys tech team replied to me today.. finally
    They ,said I need to collect the laptop because if something happens to it they can't accept responsibility... ?????

Covering all their bases covering their..

Covering all their bases covering their..

Is this true then ? Do I have to go in to town and collect it and send it myself??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

There are two issues here

1- they won’t deliver it back to you - that is normal as you dropped it in to them you need to arrange collection.

2- they want you to deal with Razer yourself .. not within the letter or spirit of the law.

So my advise is .. collect the laptop and contact Razer support yourself .. they may actually collect from you and resolve the issue. If not then back to curry’s first resolution via SCC if necessary.

Don’t alway last assume that dealing with the manufacturer is the worst option .. in many cases it’s better than dealing with the retailer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

https://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/
    Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    • of merchantable quality
    • fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    • as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.
    • When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

I think it is quite clear from the quote above that Curry's (the retailer) are failing to fulfil their obligations "Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980".

You need to tell Curry's (the retailer) that you would like a refund, replacement or a repair. End of!!!
    Inform them that if they fail to provide a refund, replacement or a repair you will go to Small Claims Court. Give them 14 days to comply.
    Be polite, keep it focussed and don't enter into discussions - you would like a refund, replacement or a repair.

Insisting on your rights is a reasonable stance for you to take. Not complying with Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is an unreasonable stance for Curry's(the retailer) to take.
    https://thecai.ie/your-rights/how-to-complain-effectively/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭whippet

GrumpyMe wrote: »
    https://thecai.ie/your-rights/your-rights/know-your-rights/
    Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980, anything you buy from a retailer must be:
    • of merchantable quality
    • fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable
    • as described, whether the description is part of the advertising or wrapping, on a label, or something said by the salesperson.
    • When you buy goods from a retailer, you make a contract with him. He agrees to provide certain goods to you for a certain price. If your purchase turns out to be faulty, the retailer, not the manufacturer, is responsible to you and must sort out your complaint. You are entitled to a refund, a replacement or a repair.
    You do not have to take a credit note if your complaint is covered by the Sale of Goods Act. You can insist on a refund, a replacement or a repair.

I think it is quite clear from the quote above that Curry's (the retailer) are failing to fulfil their obligations "Under the Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980".

You need to tell Curry's (the retailer) that you would like a refund, replacement or a repair. End of!!!
    Inform them that if they fail to provide a refund, replacement or a repair you will go to Small Claims Court. Give them 14 days to comply.
    Be polite, keep it focussed and don't enter into discussions - you would like a refund, replacement or a repair.

Insisting on your rights is a reasonable stance for you to take. Not complying with Sale of Goods and Supply of Services Act 1980 is an unreasonable stance for Curry's(the retailer) to take.
    https://thecai.ie/your-rights/how-to-complain-effectively/

No arguments against the rights above

However in the real world sometimes is easier / quicker to get the warranty issue resolved by the manufacture than the retailer. In many cases the retailer will just log a service call with the manufacture and go through the same process and the consumer will have to wait on the retailer to do this for them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

How many years can you expect to get out of a laptop for it to be considered reasonably durable?
    10 years or more?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭Xterminator

How many years can you expect to get out of a laptop for it to be considered reasonably durable?
    10 years or more?

what does that have to do with a 1 year old laptop?

OP - you might get it fixed quicker and with less hassle using the manufacturers warranty, and dealing with them.

you have a choice of pursuing currys or manufacturer. I would personally deal with the one what offers the fastest resolution and best outcome with least effort.

If you wish to pursue currys via small claims court you will have to put in great effort. if you want to enforce the principal, do so by all means.

If you want to get a working laptop faster - contact manufacturer and see what they can offer. make an informed choice when its clear what your choices are.

what does that have to do with a 1 year old laptop?

It's over 1 year old. It's covered under law for 12 months, after that it has to be decided how long it must last to be considered fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable.
    I think for a laptop 10 years would be fair. But I'm not sure how well that would hold up in law.
    My current laptop is 6 years old so I don't see why it wouldn't last at least 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

It's over 1 year old. It's covered under law for 12 months, after that it has to be decided how long it must last to be considered fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable.
    I think for a laptop 10 years would be fair. But I'm not sure how well that would hold up in law.
    My current laptop is 6 years old so I don't see why it wouldn't last at least 10 years.

But this has nothing got to do with this thread. They have a two year warranty.

Six to ten years? No chance.

Was it razor or curry's that gave the extended warranty?
    It might be easier to use the extended warranty than argue over the length for it to be considered fit for its normal purpose, and reasonably durable.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭selephonic

Aren't all warranties now 2 years, under EU law?

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/index_en.htm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Advertisement