Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Electric or hybrid?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

zg3409 wrote: »
    Run an extension cable with an inline waterproof socket out through the letterbox or a tied closed window opening.

Charge rate will be low 2kW per hour rate, but I survived like this for 3 weeks while I waited for the home charger install. If home for 12 hours nightly that gives 24kWh added range or 100+ km daily commute ability.

You could temporarily wire a proper charger instead of an electric cooker with load sense or a changeover switch. Run cable out cooker vent to temporary mounting for charger.

Landlords can be fickle and would probably insist charger is left behind when leaving rental property. Landlord probably would need to apply for grant.

None of those sound like options I would like to live with. Takes the shine off owning an EV.

None of those sound like options I would like to live with. Takes the shine off owning an EV.

The extension cable with an inline waterproof socket out of a window opening doesn't seem too bad..... Letterbox would be a pain alright

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Augeo wrote: »
    The extension cable with an inline waterproof socket out of a window opening doesn't seem too bad..... Letterbox would be a pain alright

In winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,544 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lantus wrote: »
    In winter?
    I was lucky I had a garage with power so I ran the cable through the window to the garage.

I wouldnt be happy leaving a window open. Letterbox would work. or just get an outside socket

Lantus wrote: »
    In winter?

I've windows open a crack most of the year TBH.

• Advertisement
Advertisement