Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you happy about how your career is progressing?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

onrail wrote: »
    That anecdote doesn’t really prove anything - You’ll have outliers in any industry. Bit like the story of the chef who joined Google in the nineties and was paid stock options....Equivalent of winning the lottery really

Proves my point, no? What was important was who he worked for, not what he did.

Picking a winner in IT is a bit easier than winning the lottery.

Just turned 29
    Got a promotion yesterday.
    I loved my job as it was so I hope too much doesn’t change for me. A little bit nervous of new position but I reckon it will take some time of getting used to.
    Earning an extra 1k a month to what I was earning.
    New job will require mainly all working from home.
    Happy to still just have a job. The promotion is a big plus.
    Currently pressing on 60k.

What type of work?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭onrail

Proves my point, no? What was important was who he worked for, not what he did.

Picking a winner in IT is a bit easier than winning the lottery.

Yeah, but it’s was a random pick - there was no skill or foresight or merit in his choice.

Plus you’re far, far more likely to hit the bonanza with an IT firm, rather than say an Archaeology consultancy.

nutjobb wrote: »
    How happy are you with your career? Do you regret staying one place too long/too little? Sacrifice too much family time for work? are you planning on going a different direction or simply just happy to have a job in the current climate?

I have put my career on hold for about 10 years now. So I hate my career progression.

But about 10 years ago I hit the perfect work life balance and I have actively resisted career progression ever since. I keep my job by putting my finger in as many pies as I can. So I am 'generally indispensable'.

And I have been so so happy since making that decision.

But its a gamble. A serious one. If I got fired tomorrow I would have literally the worst CV ever. Square one kinda stuff.

But so far it has been the right decision and between me and my girlfriends I am still the middle earner.

But so far it has been the right decision and between me and my girlfriends I am still the middle earner.

How many girlfriends do you have.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,817 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Yep. My job keeps me active and I get to do 90% of it in the sun.

My company is taking this time where we've effectively been shut to discuss how we're going to progress and how we can achieve our goals as a team and individually. I'm invested in how our young players grow and develop and also how I grow along with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭Kamu

He has two; look into his post history, he goes into details of his family life.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Civil engineer.15 years now, career has deviated due to the recession.I am a woman too, and yes, that has had a bearing on my career choices.

I am happy that my current role allows me to live the lifestyle I want and need with a family.Pay is good (for me.Relative to, you know....2010 -2016).Probably not be enough for others, but the commute is short, the hours are 8-4, I enjoy my job and the workplace is very family friendly.

I did 5 years on site.It's a young man's (person's) game and, as someone else said, a sh#tsh&w.It is great craic-I wil say that-but jesus, they work you to the bone and there is only so much you can take of the constant fighting and dogging of trades and contractors.You also get really bloody fed up with being responsible for EVERYTHING.I mean sh%t flows downhill on sites, and the engineer is at the bottom of the heap.Carries heavy responsibility, works the longest hours, rarely sees a cent of overtime, answers to everyone for everything, has no union for any sort of protection....am I selling it?!But it is also an extremely good training period for a graduate because you learn to get on with things, and get over yourself (sorry.generalising a bit).Personally it also taught me that no job or salary is worth hours and hours of my life, and no money can buy work/life balance.

It depends on what you want from life really.But I think a lot of people come out of college wanting to be on 80k in about 5 years because they are in particulr industries and it's a bit of a sharp shock to many that it won't happen - and what the trade-off is, is not worth it.I am 37, there is a lot of years of work left for me.Who knows where it will take me.Once I can live my life comfortably and I am interested in what I am doing, I am happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭Figel Narage

shesty wrote: »
    Civil engineer.15 years now, career has deviated due to the recession.I am a woman too, and yes, that has had a bearing on my career choices.

I am happy that my current role allows me to live the lifestyle I want and need with a family.Pay is good (for me.Relative to, you know....2010 -2016).Probably not be enough for others, but the commute is short, the hours are 8-4, I enjoy my job and the workplace is very family friendly.

I did 5 years on site.It's a young man's (person's) game and, as someone else said, a sh#tsh&w.It is great craic-I wil say that-but jesus, they work you to the bone and there is only so much you can take of the constant fighting and dogging of trades and contractors.You also get really bloody fed up with being responsible for EVERYTHING.I mean sh%t flows downhill on sites, and the engineer is at the bottom of the heap.Carries heavy responsibility, works the longest hours, rarely sees a cent of overtime, answers to everyone for everything, has no union for any sort of protection....am I selling it?!But it is also an extremely good training period for a graduate because you learn to get on with things, and get over yourself (sorry.generalising a bit).Personally it also taught me that no job or salary is worth hours and hours of my life, and no money can buy work/life balance.

It depends on what you want from life really.But I think a lot of people come out of college wanting to be on 80k in about 5 years because they are in particulr industries and it's a bit of a sharp shock to many that it won't happen - and what the trade-off is, is not worth it.I am 37, there is a lot of years of work left for me.Who knows where it will take me.Once I can live my life comfortably and I am interested in what I am doing, I am happy.

Yeah that last part is very true. The amount of people I know who are in/just left college and expect to be on 80K or higher very soon and not doing anything really specialized is silly. I try to tell them the reality but they never want to hear it haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

piplip87 wrote: »
    I left a job back in October. It was in a major multinational, very well paid, long hours and a long commute. Left the house at 5 and not back until 7:30

I am now labouring on a site locally, crap money, crap job but no commute. 5 minute walk to work. Leave the house at 7:55 home at 5:10.

I am much happier now and I will stay working locally until I can get a work from home or better job locally.

I felt there was no point in spending 4 hours a day on a bus, to earn money to fund the future, while not enjoying life now, not seeing my kids enough, not spending enough time with family and friends, then feeling guilty for going out with the lads at weekend because i haven't seen the wife or kids enough during the week.

It's nice to have a good job that pays well but it's even nicer to have a job that pays enough to live a good life and actually spend time with those you love.

I am lucky enough as we did manage to inherit a house that was ready to live in a few years ago so no mortgage payment. If it wasn't for that I'd still be commuting

How will the job on the building so when we hit a big recession?

• Advertisement

Just the two,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

My career has been haphazard at best until about 10ish years ago. I'm 48 now and I'd honestly say I had no career plan until I was heading towards my 40's.

I've been a warehouse operative, forklift driver, office admin worker, sales rep, barman/bar manager, logistics planner, warehouse supervisor and then about 13 years ago I decided to become a health and safety trainer. I qualified as a forklift instructor, manual handling instructor etc. and headed down the health and safety instructor road. I have since upskilled, got my HDip in Occupational Health and Safety and my Level 9 in Environmental Management. This enabled me to move into a health and safety management role.

Happy with my career in general. I would like more money but hey, wouldn't most people. The earning potential in health and safety isn't the same as in the IT industry but you can make a decent living. I'm not finished upskilling either as I'd consider myself to have about 20 years left in the workforce given that retirement for me is now 68. Because my role involves an awful lot of court work, I'm thinking of adding a legal qualification to my portfolio but I'm taking a break from the serious studying this coming year so that will have to wait. This year my goal will be to become a Chartered Member of IOSH and maybe do a few other small but accredited courses that will tie in with my line of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

What's the PhD in?

Psychology, worried it's all a bit too broad and I will not have sufficient work experience compared to those that did masters and are already ahead in that front. Atm I'm questioning my 19 year old self and why I decided to study it, sometimes I wonder why the LC points are so high.

Definitely not going down the academia route and want to go into industry. Seen enough already to know that it is very difficult to succeed in academia unless you're all in, and even then you're looking at short-term contracts and poor pay for hours worked. I do wish I had known this before I started the programme, but the damage the PhD has done to my personal relationships and self-esteem has proven too much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Aongus Von Bismarck

Yes, extremely so far with how things have turned out. I'm in my late 30's (very late!), and am already financially secure for the rest of my life.

I was working in wealth management for a very large and well-known German bank. The salary and bonuses were incredible (>350k per year), but I was starting to get burned out and frazzled with the extremely stressful and competitive nature of the work. It's a young mans game. I also found some British HNW individuals to be very difficult to deal with.

So I took a package, and moved to a boutique investment firm which invests primarily in green, renewable, eco and sustainable start-ups and small companies looking to scale. It's extremely enjoyable, intellectually stimulating, much more relaxed, and the overall financial package is ok. I think an €80k drop in salary is well worth it for how much lighter and happier I feel.

Money isn't everything.

Yes, extremely so far with how things have turned out. I'm in my late 30's (very late!), and am already financially secure for the rest of my life.

I was working in wealth management for a very large and well-known German bank. The salary and bonuses were incredible (>350k per year), but I was starting to get burned out and frazzled with the extremely stressful and competitive nature of the work. It's a young mans game. I also found some British HNW individuals to be very difficult to deal with.

So I took a package, and moved to a boutique investment firm which invests primarily in green, renewable, eco and sustainable start-ups and small companies looking to scale. It's extremely enjoyable, intellectually stimulating, much more relaxed, and the overall financial package is ok. I think an €80k drop in salary is well worth it for how much lighter and happier I feel.

Money isn't everything.

Based on the first 90% of that post, I don’t think you’re qualified to use that last sentence.

But fair play

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Salty

bitofabind wrote: »
    Not thrilled tbh. Moved from a decade long media career to venture into Sales a few years ago, which is dog eat dog even on a good day. Pay is great, company is uniquely positioned to survive Covid-19, WFH is grand but I wake up most mornings with a knot in my stomach. It's a tough old battle. Ignoring my creative instinct and chasing $$$ is really beginning to take its toll, but alas the global pandemic has kinda thwarted all best laid plans at least for the next few months.

What field are you in Sales for? My other half is in car sales and while he is back to work now, I do worry for his future long-term with the fallout of this pandemic. He loves Sales!
    I've really enjoyed reading through this thread. Boards is full of like-minded reprobates who change career at the drop of a hat, like myself.

Anyone considering starting their own business? I have a good idea, but won't have the time 'til the PhD is done and dusted.

I am thinking about it, maybe in two years time. I am a speech and language therapist and the hiring process for HSE jobs is a complete joke. I can't get a job at home for love nor money, and have resorted to moving several hours up the country for a job in a private clinic, just so I can gain experience. I have had to move away from my entire family, all of my friends, and my boyfriend. I will probably spend a sickening amount of money on petrol commuting home most weekends because my mental health won't hold up very well being separated from everyone I love/everyone who loves me for long periods. When I feel confident enough in my skills and have more experience under my belt, I think I will just move home and start my own private business...there is huge demand and I would probably make more money working away myself than I would in a public job.
    pgj2015 wrote: »
    The bit in bold stood out. be careful about planning for certain events by certain ages. it isn't a good way to live in my opinion.
    A lot of people hadn't a penny at 30 but by 35 they were millionaires.

Yes have only recently gotten out of a rut like this myself recently. I will be 28 later this year and have found the last two years really rough mentally because I have been obsessing about what I want to have achieved career and life-wise by the time I am 30. Suffice to say, any family planning has gone out the window for a long time yet. But I have really come to accept it recently and have noticed a significant change in my mood. I am ruminating over these things much less and it has had a freeing affect.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

I've progressed reasonably well. 3 promotions in 6 years. Started in the call centre area but worked my way up into a software analyst. Team lead currently and just over 70k gross. I get on with my team quite well and we are performing well. Getting to dive into our products more and more now and give feedback on how they should be delivered. Is what I want to do ? For now yes. I don't have an end goal in sight of the perfect job of what I want to do but I enjoy what I am doing. Getting the chance to learn more "soft" skills now as opposed to technical skill so hopefully I can graduate into management in a few years. I work for a large european multinational since i graduated from college.

This working from home lark is not great with my setup but with so many people having lost their job then I have to be happy I am still able to be financially independent. Was terrible with saving for most of my life but i have gotten better in the last year and a bit so hopefully can get a mortgage in a few years in my early 30s.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭CBear1993

I've progressed reasonably well. 3 promotions in 6 years. Started in the call centre area but worked my way up into a software analyst. Team lead currently and just over 70k gross. I get on with my team quite well and we are performing well. Getting to dive into our products more and more now and give feedback on how they should be delivered. Is what I want to do ? For now yes. I don't have an end goal in sight of the perfect job of what I want to do but I enjoy what I am doing. Getting the chance to learn more "soft" skills now as opposed to technical skill so hopefully I can graduate into management in a few years. I work for a large european multinational since i graduated from college.

This working from home lark is not great with my setup but with so many people having lost their job then I have to be happy I am still able to be financially independent. Was terrible with saving for most of my life but i have gotten better in the last year and a bit so hopefully can get a mortgage in a few years in my early 30s.

What was your college degree in? Fair play sounds like you’re heading in the right direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭global23214124

CBear1993 wrote: »
    What was your college degree in? Fair play sounds like you’re heading in the right direction.
    Statistics. It helped get me in the door but I haven't used what I learnt in college although some analytics has probably helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Would echo that. I have quite a number of years involvement in this sector and would generally advise against doing a science qualification, particularly if looking to stay in academia - crap pay, crap conditions, etc. If you must do one, get the degree and get out to industry. If you really want to push it, do a PhD (quickly) and get the hell out (and wish you'd done something else). There's a LOT of mid 30s (and older) people hanging around on short term contracts (and crap money) in the universities - and mostly in the 'hot' areas too.

Most people with a head for figures would be far better off doing Accounting - it's (much?) easier, has solid career opportunities and excellent earning ability, particularly if you're pushy and driven. I know science postdocs in their late 40s doing Accounting courses at night as the penny has finally dropped re academia....
    Just to present an alternative viewpoint/experience to this.

I'm in academia and I absolutely love it. I know it is a competitive and challenging environment, but I don't think you fairly outlined the potential rewards either. First and foremost is the job satisfaction and, although it may sound sanctimonious, if you really love what you're doing, you'll never truly work a day in your life. Now I know positions are few and far between, but if you are successful in getting tenure, you are essentially your own boss forever, with academic licence/freedom to pursue whatever you like (within reason). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - depending on promotions, etc. Finally, is the work-life balance. Contrary to popular belief, I don't that academics have more free time than others, but I do think that they have more flexible time. Outside of my lectures, I'm free to do other tasks (research, grant proposals, writing papers, admin work, etc.) when I want, where I want. There is a lot to be said for that - again you are your own boss in a sense.

I hope this post doesn't seem boastful or contrived, as that is not at all my intention. I simply wanted to present an alternative. I realise I have been extremely fortunate in my career, and indeed am familiar with many of the travails you have outlined. But if someone was to ask me for advice, I would recommend it. Chances are slim, but rewards are worth it IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Pay is great. There are days when I hate the work but I mostly enjoy it. Sitting on my @ss all day isn't great for my health. During this pandemic my lack of work life balance has come into sharp focus. My wife has had it with me and my job. Currently trying to figure out how to make enough money to support a family of 4 on one income and somehow work less hours.

No pressure :pac:

I guess in a broader sense. I had one career goal. I achieved it back in 2013. I consider everything else a bonus.

......). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - ......O.

Senior lecturer III tops out at 110k ish?
    What promotions will yield 150k ..... Director or president?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Josuke

Augeo wrote: »

Maybe it's Professor or HoD roles?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

What type of work?

IT, I moved into a service management role.
    I’m fairly terrified of the new position.

shesty wrote: »

This is very true, and sad really that shiite conditions are just taken on the chin. Does anyone know why certain jobs have unions, go on strike etc and others don't?

Jesus, you look at above (pretty much similar throughout the country) - if ever there was cause for making a stand for better conditions!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Augeo wrote: »
    Professors would be earning 150k, long road to get there though!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,254 ✭✭✭✭fits

Just to present an alternative viewpoint/experience to this.

I'm in academia and I absolutely love it. I know it is a competitive and challenging environment, but I don't think you fairly outlined the potential rewards either. First and foremost is the job satisfaction and, although it may sound sanctimonious, if you really love what you're doing, you'll never truly work a day in your life. Now I know positions are few and far between, but if you are successful in getting tenure, you are essentially your own boss forever, with academic licence/freedom to pursue whatever you like (within reason). There is also the money - I'm 33 and at the lecturer grade, earning 70k - there is no way I would describe that as anything remotely close to "crap pay". This will only get better, topping-out at approx. 150k - depending on promotions, etc. Finally, is the work-life balance. Contrary to popular belief, I don't that academics have more free time than others, but I do think that they have more flexible time. Outside of my lectures, I'm free to do other tasks (research, grant proposals, writing papers, admin work, etc.) when I want, where I want. There is a lot to be said for that - again you are your own boss in a sense.

I hope this post doesn't seem boastful or contrived, as that is not at all my intention. I simply wanted to present an alternative. I realise I have been extremely fortunate in my career, and indeed am familiar with many of the travails you have outlined. But if someone was to ask me for advice, I would recommend it. Chances are slim, but rewards are worth it IMO.

Fair play to you. If the cards fall the right way it can be a great career.

I just got another grant application declined yesterday and am once again considering my options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

This is very true, and sad really that shiite conditions are just taken on the chin. Does anyone know why certain jobs have unions, go on strike etc and others don't?

Jesus, you look at above (pretty much similar throughout the country) - if ever there was cause for making a stand for better conditions!!

Funny enough we have a professional body.

Useful for administering chartership.

Never on their radar to look after their members' conditions?

If all civil engineers in the country went on strike the immediate impact would be negligible.... Also the ones happy with their t&cs wouldn't strike..... Builders would happily pass the picket as most builders see civil engineers as a pain in the hoop.

Going on strike is grim anyway. Should be a last resort ....... Being a member of a union when you've been degree educated is far from ideal if working in private sector.... Technical & professional folk shouldn't need unions to fight their corner.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

As above.Also (this will be controversial)

Engineers do not stick their heads above the parapet much.Just not what we do, we tend to just shut up and put up, happy to play with the numbers.Also most people haven't a breeze what we do anyway, so it wouldn't really matter what we say.

We don't really need a union btw, I was just saying that to point out that when you are on site, every other person is in a union except the person that takes the responsibility and the sh1t falls on and it can get very hard to take sometimes.

Thirdly (controversial) - engineers should not really BE on sites full time at all.
    If you go to (many) other countries, the idea of a degree or technically educated engineer being on a building site full time is ludicrous.In many other other countries, the title is a protected professional title, much like a doctor or similar, and those on site are trained in setting out, GIS, and similar, but they are not engineers and not expected to be.
    Now - I know I am making sweeping statements to a degree there as I am speaking of countries that i know of, maybe it's not the case all over the world.Also I know there are different levels of engineering qualification and these would potentially entail different career responsibilities, but often all get called Engineering.

It is what it is here, I suppose, and a few years on site is grand, but I wouldn't be looking for it long term myself.Derailing the thread somewhat...

Advertisement