Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transport Aircraft

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

To be fair there has been a huge clampdown on the use of State aircraft as taxis. Ironically since the current minister demanded to be flown to Cork, when he was previously minister.

Now it's usually just the Taoiseach, and even then only if business commitments meant there was no alternative means available. But when the Motorway will get you from Cork to Dublin in 3 hrs straight, and a flight will take (in the air) about an hour, is your time that precious?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Sgt. Bilko 09

I believe that has created another problem as ministers are flying via airline to midlands airports and expensing the flight ticket. There is very little that can be done in relation to ministerial travel as they have multiple ways of clawing it back at the expense of the taxpayer. The Merlins were a big runner with the AC when but when civvies got there calculators out they rejected it but and the lower maintenance requirements of the 139s won out.

Post edited by Sgt. Bilko 09 on

How long after we got the 139s did their exhausts start melting?

lol, I couldn't be exact about that date i believe a few months after purchase and with the doors falling off and the winch not working from time to time, the problems were there at the start, but we saved money....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

• Advertisement

They had massive issues with those helos, they've ordered black hawks. I doubt they would pass any type of saftey test give the issues and they are second hand.

https://www.flightglobal.com/helicopters/australia-plans-early-retirement-for-nh90-helicopters-as-it-lines-up-black-hawk-order/146797.article

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

The NH90 has long been a problem child. A helicopter well and truly designed by committee and a plague on all the houses of European aircraft builders.

I expect the Air Corps to buy 6.

Plenty of low hours versions appearing on the 2nd Hand market shortly...

(easy to keep hours low when you have them up on blocks awaiting parts most of their career).

We would be better off going for rip off black hawk, the Z-20

Yeah, no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭roadmaster

In fairness to the NH90 i know there was design issues but also alot the fault was with the aussies not following the instruction book as they didnt with the styer.

Its important to note that the Chinese Communist Party and their sanctioned industries have no regard for intellectual property or patents and that the imitations they make are absolute buckets of shyte anyway.

Irrespective of Ireland's non-aligned status, we are bound to uphold EU industry standards and security of our partners assets, even in Defence products.

Just like the Huawei 5G network in Britain, all of Europe, EU and not, NATO and not, should be a cold place for Chinese industry and technologies whether its helicopters or cars, phone handsets or train locomotives. They aren't to be trusted one iota.

Well id be friends with the chinese sonner than our closest neighbour whos government ministers wanted to starve us

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/brexiteer-blasted-over-threat-to-starve-ireland-tjp7k76mq

I'm not backing Britain, I'm backing Europe. Britain has no choice but to follow European standards or lose all its industry.

Besides, Britain didn't want us starved out, Priti Patel did. I wouldn't hold the sins of a few dickhead Tory brexiteers against ordinary British workers. The latter are already in enough peril because of the former.

They can make it up to us by donating some of the soon to be retired hercs. They might only last a few years but it would be good asset

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Very similar problems with the A400. I have a pal in the RAF who works on them and he says there are huge issues with spares availability. It seems mo#t European cooperative military aircraft programs have issues

• Registered Users Posts: 11,627 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Huge issue with F35 parts and engine supply. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

It's not just for the RAF, the Luftwaffe was highlighting issues with the 400 as well recently, to the point that Airbus has started a program to improve service rates. That said Australia does seem to have major issues getting European supplies, with issues with the Tiger as well when it was in service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Its an Airbus thing; they used to be very good at supplying spares but lead times for things like fairings and panels have gone off the chart. So, they strip parts off aircraft at the tail end of the production line or they scrap low time aircraft for things like doors and valves. Ironically, they have fallen into the same trap as the Russians have done. Not enough spares holdings at a basic level. Some of the shortage is probably cynical, though, forcing prices up. As for the Australian aircraft, Airbus did not cover themselves in glory on that one.

How recent are the shortages? Are we talking Covid era raw materials and supply chain problems, or just fundamental bad planning in the makers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,513 ✭✭✭✭banie01

For Australia and the NH90 it's been a problem child since contract inception. Ran late, limited IOC and ongoing servicibility, availability and spares issues. There were also afaik issues with Australian servicing methods and training that Airbus pushed back on. It was a fairly fractious relationship but one that is often the case for Aus and foreign purchases. Have they ever had any major foreign equipment introduction go smoothly?

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭Gary kk

Those Oz people can be brazie. I can see them been their own worst enemy when it comes to dealing with other countries.

Indeed. Can't wait to see how the introduction of nuclear support facilities at the Port of Adelaide goes.....

💥

• Registered Users Posts: 3,880 ✭✭✭sparky42

Yeah, the idea that they are going to get SSN's quicker than SSK's and have the whole project come in cheaper is fantasy land imo.

I believe with the A400 it's something to do with the TBO on a lot of parts being very short, therefore parts need to be replaced more oftenu

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spark23

Problems often stem from overly bespoke fitouts, very like the Seasprite aircraft that was demodified and brought into service in New Zealand

The NZ said that purchase was a steal from Kaman, the US Navy had a few orders I believe and cancelled due to rust and bad rotor vibration. Egypt has a land version and Poland's navy a similar version was cancelled due manufacturer maintenance agreements. That leaves New Zealand with helicopters expected to last another 10 to 15 years but without easily available parts. As the air corps cannibalized the Dauphins I would envisage the Sea Sprite a life span of less than expected contract amount.

Post edited by Sgt. Bilko 09 on

Problem is, once you decide to go down that route for your naval helis, you limit your options to either the seasprite, the Seahawk or nothing. Their ANZAC frigates and the OPVs have decks set up to handle this type, and to change to a harpoon type would mean major modifications to helidecks.

From memory the decision was made around the same time as the Aussies were buying Seasprites too. (for the same ANZAC frigates) NZ got ex US Navy F models while waiting for their Gs to be built. But Aus cancelled their order, Kayman had already built the Aus airframes. NZ were able to get the 8 from the aussie order, instead of the 5 they were waiting on, and 2 more to use as spares. Since then they sold the Gs to Peru, and have recieved rebuilt modified G models. The seasprite is an oddball, but its working well for them so far. I'm sure when it comes time to replace the ANZACs, they'll see which way the wind is blowing with their neighbours to the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

Sometimes it's the case, in terms of spares, where certain parts are in very limited supply and they have to go back to the factory to be repaired. I recall an IFE computer from a well known manufacturer, fitted to A330s,that had a laughably high failure rate. I was talking to the tech rep and he said that the unit he had in his hand was one of only twelve in the world, had failed again and was going back to be tested and refitted. 12, in the whole world, for the entire global fleet. He said that they were building them as fast as possible,but it was slow and the airlines were raging. I recall reading about spares supply that had been defined in WW 2; 30% was reckoned as the most practical holding as you can't stock everything and some things were simply too big or too expensive and depended on repairable units coming back from the field. But, when manufacturers like Airbus can't even supply simple panels and fairings and hatches, that are cheap and easy to make, then the blame falls to them. Stripping good aircraft of parts is not a long term way to run an airline.

• Advertisement

" What have the British ever done for us?????" "

" The aquaduct?" 😁😁😁😁

Advertisement