Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I hope the organisers pull a rabbit out of a hat here. Surely they can find a location north of the border and put on a massive festival.

Could send laoise CC a big 2 fingers . Additionally send our fabulous government of doom and nasty NPHET some live YouTube links to lift their spirits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Why not? the ploughing, Steam trashing & communions are off, we might as well ensure nothing happens this year out of spite!😋

Should we start panicking the Croke park locals!! (To be fair, they would have more of a valid objection as people walk past/piss on their houses, Most EP'ers have never even seen a Stradbally house!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

Brilliant news. Ye are all now stuck with the poison ye injected into yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Thanks so much for your amazing input. Delighted with the 5g all the same though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭dalyboy

Are people self administering vaccines to themselves now ? No training at all , just needle in the arm ……. Dead.

My god

• Registered Users Posts: 3,561 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Fair play, Mushy. I knew you'd be pleased. All the best to your fellow councillors.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,405 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Ah that’s not fair on Laois guys ffs Laois and stradbally have been absolute fantastic hosts/venues for the leccy picky over the years and I don’t like ppl running down Laois at this stage folks peace and love

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

• Registered Users Posts: 5,481 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

Ah mixed feelings on this one, obviously a massive shame it's not going ahead and you'd feel particularly for the people who work at the festival and are reliant on it to make a few quid.

I probably would've been more surprised at this stage if it did go ahead though. We were only allowed to sit in McDonald's or Starbucks last week. A festival with 60,000 people was way too much for our government to even consider in another 6 weeks time, despite having no real logic to it.

For me, the worst part about it is it makes you question the future. If we aren't allowed have it then, when will we be allowed have festivals and gigs back? You can't be more vaccinated, so if the adult population will be vaccinated by then and only vaccinated people allowed in, then what could possibly be different in another years time?

A couple of gigs have been announced in the last few weeks that I'm interested in for early next year but unfortunately I'm not allowing myself to get excited and buy tickets because over the past 18 months I've learnt not to get my hopes up (which is f*cking depressing).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

• Registered Users Posts: 19,165 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

All a pile of b*llox. Up north, they are giving free tickets to outdoor gigs to get folk to get vaccinated. 

Down here, we will be about 80% vaccinated and they are cancelling outdoor gigs.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

Laois councillor: How are we gonna get out of this fest lark?

Government: Tell ya what, you refuse the licence and when they come to us, we'll say our hands are tied, that we can't overturn local decisions.

Laois councillor: Nice one, ta!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭Toast

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mushypeas12

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

I'd imagine that once all adults have their 2nd jabs (probably in about 4 weeks, as mid-30s are only getting theirs at the moment in most centres), then things will loosen up a lot more, and indoor gigs will be allowed. Dunno about things as big as the 3Arena, but I'd be fairly certain the likes of Whelans/Roisin Dubh etc will be having gigs by the end of October.

I think it's fair enough criticism for the councillors, I don't deny they're in a difficult position it will be the people of Laois re-electing them in 2024, not us. But equally this could backfire badly if FR decide to change venue.

They're small time local councillors voting on what is now a national issue, they should have passed this off to Government/national level.

And when I say "small time" read this article again and some of their comments, #bloodboil

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭HarryTheSpider

Over the last few days, I began to have the feeling that this would happen.

As much as we all wanted this to go ahead, there is still a (small) risk and as much as we don't want to hear it, it is better to err on the side of caution. If we had another month of so to play with, it could have been a different story.

I'm kinda stuck between sad that it is not going to happen and relieved to finally know. I know Benn hasn't thrown in the towel yet, but he put up a good fight and I really can't see a way around this.

It will be interesting to see how they cope with the next 12 months. I don't know how many people held on to the tickets, but I guess that a lot of them will look for a refund now. Personally, I will hold on to it, and by next September hope to get a personal warm welcome at the gate on Wednesday night from Melvin himself. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭fish_fingers

I like your optimism 😀

However, end of October is only 10 or 11 weeks away and sure there'd be people drinking and laughing and singing and meeting other people and they'd all be doing the same and sure anything could happen and they might even be able to make a new variant and and and...

I feel that they want our fun taken away and if they don't I fear that they want to change the nature of the beast.

TELL YOU F55KIN ONE THING I WILL IN MY BALLS GO BACK INTO THE OFFICE NOW.

I AINT GOING BACK UNTIL IT'S "SAFE!!" I.e. EP 😋

Post edited by Fatfrog on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,810 ✭✭✭Charlie

Huh? We’re well into vaccinating the early 20s (and below) at this stage. We’re on course to have all over 16s fully vaccinated by the start of September.

Its absolutely spineless stuff not to let this go ahead and a reflection of the complete lack of ambition and ingenuity that our Government has shown with its reopening plan.

Snarky Snark Snark

With the least amount of respect I can muster so that it registers on my givashitometer, do one.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 orangeocelot

Very disappointing decision, although Laois county council didn't really have much of a choice other than to refuse it.

Staggering levels of incompetence from the govt though not having put plans in place for music events. 40,000 in Croke Park in a few weeks, yet only 500 allowed at a music festival?! Supposedly they are releasing a roadmap to reopen live events by the end of this month, but that's far too little too late in my opinion.

As others have mentioned, we'll have the entire adult population fully vaccinated by the end of Sept, so what are they waiting for? If EP can't go ahead this year with everyone fully vaccinated, then what's to say it will go ahead next year, or the year after for that matter?

Utterly utterly braindead decision. I really feel for anyone who works in the live events industry.

Luckily I'll be going to Reading at the end of this month (even though I'm not a big fan of the lineup, but that's another story!). Very interested to see how smoothly that runs as I haven't been keeping up with the other test events happening in the UK recently

/rant :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

The majority of all people 30-32 will be fully vaccinated by next week (Im 32 and got my 2nd jab last Saturday barely 3 weeks between each dose). Realisitically Catherine Martins reopening plan needs to a good one and implemented fairly quickly imo if they want to get the events industry back up and running.

I know it was mentioned not to get annoyed with the 40,000 in Croker for the GAA, for me the main thing that annoyed me was that they have some sort of road map to it reopening while gigs/festivals have had nothing, Again when it comes to Oct onwards with indoor gigs at that stage there should be no reason they cant get ahead as all adults (who want to be) will be done and you then also have the roll out to school kids which will help reduce any outbreaks. Plus a lot of offices will more than likely be running with more people in the office then usual, public transport busier etc. I understand we still need to be some what cautious but there comes a point when we have to live our lives and get back to normal.

Also if Benn did move it up North id 100% go (which I know is very slim), also I think the reason they are offering people free gig tickets is because there take up of vaccination has slowed down a bit so its more of an incentive.

I have The Offspring in Nov and honestly if I dont get to at least one gig before the end of the year I will lose the will to live ha

Snarky Snark Snark

In response to Orangeocelots "what's to say it will go ahead next year, or the year after for that matter?"

(i truely despise the cack handed quoting that's in place now)

Snarky Snark Snark

So do we shut this puppy down and start again OR do we leave it open and see how long a thread can get here?

We broke it the year before last, would be nice to try again.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,040 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

That was the year Richie hawtin blew my little brain off. Place was absolutely wedged

18 and 19 year old Neice and nephew are both 2 weeks after jab 1. Should be fully protected by end of this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭patch

Ah sure leave it here so that we can speculate and moan for a while!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,457 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

I don't think there is a thread post count anymore, I think thread is infinite, we use the same forum tech as Digital Spy and their threads go on forever. So probably just a thread title change needed.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement