Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,877 ✭✭✭Dickie10

if i was the promoter i would be whispering in Ballinlough Castle ear , the venue for body and soul and see would they be up for a scaled back EP. It would certainly rattle Laois county council that they would lose EP altogether

• Registered Users Posts: 8,462 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

It sounds horrible. A Hungarian pal has it and she hasn't been able to travel on planes or trains for two years. Helpfully, that coincided with Covid-19.

In terms of PS it's a pity there's not going to be an opportunity to let them know how significant they were. And how brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Naw, wouldn't like that, its like having Lisdoonvarna festival or Feile in Dublin, what's the point, the Picnic will always be a camping festival with after hours twilight fun, wouldn't change it for anything. If that was going to happen it might as well be cancelled outright and start making plans for next year and unleash a 2022 lineup poster. If I was in the government would fire all the media heads in RTE and hire better journalists that can give more honest and transparent news.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,316 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Agree, camping offers a huge amount of flexibility and freedom, wouldn't work without in my view

I agree, a random question from me. And should it not happen BD, let's drown our EP sorrows over a few pints outside The Crane. And raise a toast to the Salty Dog crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Sean.3516

Why are we still pretending as though it's last summer and 70 people are dying each day with no sign of let up and no vaccine in sight? These vaccines have been a sheer bloody miracle and they are EXTREMELY effective as far as vaccines go.

The 7-day daily average of deaths has essentially been between 2 and 0 since the 18th of May. That's 77 days. Why are we pretending that COVID is still a great danger to the Irish population? Comparatively it just isn't. 24 people die from cancer in this country each day. There are many things more likely to kill you than COVID in Ireland at the moment.

People are acting as though Delta is some game changer. It's more transmissible to the unvaccinated so it's lead to a case spike. That's it. Our death rates have been unaffected and there's no evidence that the vaccine is any less effective against it.

Just get back to normal and stop milking this thing. Have the festival. The vaccines are widely available to whoever want them so I don't even know why this is a public health issue anymore. If you're worried about COVID killing you, get the vaccine. If you don't get it, that's on you. People who aren't worried about being killed by COVID are getting the vaccine in large numbers because they want to put this pandemic to rest. We're on track to have 80% of our adults vaccinated by the time EP is due to take place.

And the County Councillor from Stradbally Paschal McEvoy on the radio playing up how "petrified" his constituents are. I'm sure he knows this is winning issue for him on the political front. "Brave local politician saving his people from the evil miser Melvin Benn who wants to genocide the town with COVID to line his pockets". If he's ignorant of these facts he needs to educate himself. Worse if he knows these facts, he needs to explain to his constituents why they are wrong. Why things are different now and why they have no reason to be "petrified".

There's something very perverse going on when we are still restricting the lives of 5 million people because 1 person a week is dying from a virus for which many highly effective vaccines are available.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

I was at the Lisdoonvarna festival in Dublin at the RDS,although foot and mouth did play a role in staging!!!!!!!

Sounds like a great idea Seath, would be up for it.😊

Will the Chemical Brothers be retained for the Saturday Night closer they were on the 2020 poster weren't they and they played Latitude so probably still around the UK anyway, maybe the Pixies could be nabbed from EOTR but then again that's on the traditional EP dates.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

Foot and mouth? Wasn't an issue in 2003, is there a joke here I'm possibly not getting!?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

There was objections putting it in Clare, cant remember why

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,900 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Oh i meant that if Laois are so against it this year and it gets cancelled, then from 2022 to look at a new location.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭thebronze14

When will it be safe? It's summer and nearly all adults are vaccinated. It's worked so far for them. If it's not safe to open then when will it be in reality? Covid isn't just going to disappear

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Im not sure you are going to get a response from a anyone who is qualified to answer this, but Im pretty sure no one knows the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,509 ✭✭✭Mike Guide 69

Actually scarily enough it was 2001 when the foot and mouth broke out,yeah the festival was rescheduled into the RDS for health and safety

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Their hospitalisations are up 600% in 2 months.

Their death rate is up 600% in 2 months (and rising).

That's a strange definition of "It's worked so far for them".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,610 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Cases dropping like a stone over the last 3 weeks, after an initial upswing from opening up. Vaccines appear to be working.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

Yes, after an enormous surge throughout June/July almost reaching January levels. Yet another example of how they got it badly wrong by dropping restrictions too early.

Vaccines working is the one saving grace from the UK being a complete and utter sh1tshow now, rather than the minor shambles it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Blackie_IRL

This is where I'm at now, i've supported all the decisions to date, I'm fully vaxed, as is my wife, and my 16 year old son is getting his 1st jab today. We've complied with all the restrictions, but the unspoken agreement, in my mind, was a return to normality when the vaccine program took hold. There is no logical reason to continue restrictions beyond the end of august, once schools are back, everything needs to open back up, including mass gatherings.

Highly unlikely. I'd guess that businesses in Laois want it to go ahead and large proportion of the townspeople of Stradbally. In 2017 the ITs assessed the worth to the town as circa €16m. If it doesn't go ahead the locals shouldn't be punished for that. The people there have understandable worries and seven weeks isn't a long time away. I hope it proceeds but a lot of things have to fall into place over the next three weeks for that to happen.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/electric-picnic-contributed-36m-to-ireland-s-economy-1.3016462

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Surge in cases. In metrics that matter it wasn't even in the same ballpark as January levels. And you say this as if vaccines working was lucky, they knew the vaccines worked when they made the decision..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,828 ✭✭✭endainoz

It was actually the inadequate traffic plan was given as the reason. I doubt it's been used as reason since but a couple of locals had a bit of political connections and that's the official reason they gave.

The Euros are over so no more mass gathering in stadia, pubs, houses and on public transport. It's also a sunny Summer so much more outdoor entertainment. The schools are also finally on holiday (much shorter Summer break for kids there - 5/6 weeks). Hence the current drop in cases.

The UK is a mess at present. Hospitalisations and deaths greatly increasing, and as Ghostdancer said it's the vaccinations that are preventing it from being even worse. I'd attend an outdoor festival here but not in the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭martco

lads I'll be surprised if this goes ahead this year - at least in any recognisable sense

I suspect it perhaps suits certain agendas to keep this story "floating"

look into infrastructure works and logistics for your clues...this kind of thing takes major effort to setup and teardown....I rang someone yesterday who is usually well involved by this time and he's not had contact nor confirmation as yet, just the same oul chat and speculation like the board here

anyway I have already offloaded my own tickets (original date issued) logic being that even IF "something" goes ahead in the slot it will be another fairly saddo cattle pen job (that "pilot" yoke earlier in the summer looked like a horror show to me) everyone afraid of their own shadow and a very much reduced local lineup, for the wedge I paid for those tickets? no thanks

in fact I've decided to forget about attending any more festivals until the pandemic is done...sadly I'd say I'm looking at 2025

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I've flip flopped on the issue of whether it'll go ahead or not, as most of us here have too.

At the moment, my feeling is that it won't happen, they'll issue a refund for all tickets, and there'll be a smaller festival next year, circa 40,000

This is based on nothing btw, apart from a cocktail of pessimism, realism, and another shot of pessimism.

Come the original weekend (Sept 1-3) our usual group will be getting together like we did last year for a picnic hoolie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Not happening this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

who would have thought we could have anti vax contributions on any EP thread!!!!!

I see the first 500 youths in queue for vaccination today in Belfast received free festival tickets for a festival in Belfast with Paul Van Dyk and Judge Jules headlining, fcuking lucky sods hahaha.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,827 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Jeepers wait till the anti vaxxers see this :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement