Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Electric Picnic 2021 - Cancelled :( **No Ticket Sales / Requests **

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭The Davestator

I think the biggest is an interesting question.

Some were huge when they played (like Billie Eilish) but it remains to be seen if shell be remembered in a few years.

Others like Duran Duran were big back in the day, but nowhere near their peak when they played.

Both combined though, I'd have to say Blur

• Registered Users Posts: 4,722 ✭✭✭endainoz

Duran Duran also pulled a pretty huge crowd that time, really enjoyable set too. The cover of white lines was brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Michael Franti and Spearhead played at EP in 2008 on the main stage, so it was probably that year he showed up at Body&Soul too.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

I'd have a different answer to that question every day, but today the answer to both questions is The Cure.

Speaking of Blur, someone has upped the full 39 minutes of Blur's set at the Picnic, I always remember myself and a mate were at Jon Hopkins and the ending of his set clashed with the starting of Blur's, when we arrived at the main stage they were halfway through Beetlebum. When I watched footage afterward it took you from the start of their set to Beetlebum so perfect for myself as I then got to see their complete set and Jon Hopkins complete set too. Woo Hoo!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Hard to say who the biggest act is but we’ve had more than 15 Glastonbury headliners so I guess any of those.

in terms of best, mine would be Arcade Fire (2005), The Cure (2012) and any of LCD‘s four sets though 2016 was the biggie.

Post edited by Seathrun66 on

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭circular flexing

Not sure about biggest but in my view the best were

Arcade Fire 2005 - in between the time they were booked and when the played, they exploded in popularity. They were set for the Electric Arena around 5pm on Saturday iirc. The tent was rammed and the atmosphere was amazing, almost like a homecoming gig.

Beastie Boys 2007 - the first show was crazy, tent was rammed, I think I ended up watching most of the show from outside. I have a recollection that the second show was moved without announcement, I was getting food from a stall near the tent and I heard a familiar song coming from the tent and realised that they were already playing. Went in and there was barely anyone there and it was great show. So glad I got to see them before MCA passed away.

(2007 was last EP I went to as well).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ, don't tell me that he only played 13 years ago!

I was there for that, but have myself convinced he also played more recently, maybe '13 or '14?

I have vague recollection of the younger crowds being there for one of the first times, and one girl was telling us about how happy she was to have discovered him. She was on the phone to friends every minute or so telling them. But I also think Bebo existed around that time.. So i'm lost or mixing two times up. Yikes. (I think he played earlier too, but the last time is the one that has me thrown).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Mucker46

As the Cure is my favourite band and 2012 was my first EP (present for my 40th) they have to go down as my best, what a set that night. Biggest is hard to judge as if go by crowd Hozier and Gerry Cinnamon are up there (didnt go to either) but if go by status then the likes of Blondie, Duran Duran etc. Are up there.

Thinking about this makes me realise that for all the giving out i do at announcements i have seen so many amazing gigs over the years at EP.

Your right he has played other years, just googled it, he played in 2006. Can't seem to find any info on later appearances.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Don't look too hard, he mightn't have. I don't have a great memory (understatement) - but the 2008 threw me completely. I have tried to go back year by year using major events of each year (as I was taught) and it didn't help.. Yeep. I would have bet my life savings (all €23) that he played in the 2010's.

I also remember finding out a couple of years ago his performance fee is $10k. I had it all planned in my head 😅 I'm not a major fan, but thought that was doable, and some ticket sales under the counter.. 😜

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Ah hes really spectacular, Im not sure if it was that gig but I think he did a cover of dancing in the moonlight with a lil girl from the crowd possibly?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

I’ve seen The Cure a fair few times, from Glastonbury 1986 onwards. That was spectacular (playing through an electrical storm) but the EP gig matched it. Thirty nine tracks in three hours and twenty minutes. Playing almost everything you’d want them to play.

And then followed by a great set by Orbital who perfectly suited the mood for the comedown from a gig that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

That Blondie performance was terrible though - Debbie Harry’s vocals were shot. And they had been great in Vicar Street not that long beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Ah, I do love a best ever EP conversation. It tends to be ever changing, around a couple of set-in-stone pillars like Arcade Fire, the Beasties etc.

The aforementioned Cure, Portishead, Blur gigs tick both boxes, huge and brilliant and uplifting, I loved them all, but I'm the same as most here, there are dozens of smaller amazing gigs lurking just under the surface that were just as enjoyable and unforgettable. Johnny Marr last time out, David Byrne and Annie was sensational, Eels, La Femme, Car Seat Headrest, Public Service Broadcasting Jurrasic 5, Courtney Barnett, the Murder Capital in Jerry Fish's tent.......I was buzzing walking out of all of those and probably spent a few minutes thinking that was the BEST EVER!!! ...but then they just settle into the pantheon with the rest of them. Like when did you feel happiest at EP? That's probably a different conversation. I remember looking at my brother in law cavorting around in front of the stage at Body and Soul at Matthew E White, a little bit stoned but unbelievably happy, friends with the world. We still talk about that, that moment, or half hour of sheer bliss, forever to be attributed to Matthew. I've had lots of them in Stradbally. You never hear that artist again without remembering. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

Some magic sets in there. Those moments of bliss stick with you forever.

Another one that really stands out for me was the John Grant one about 8 years ago. I remember bringing my better half along cos I thought it would be her kind of thing. I remember her stunned face for the entirety of the set and for an hour afterwards and saying to a random lady beside us at the end "That was the best thing I have seen this weekend". She replied "That was the best thing I have seen in my life". Was quite a set.

I think the best is still to come when Aphex does his 2 and a half hour set in the Electric Arena on the Saturday night, everyone will have an o expression in their mouth as they won't be able to talk at the end of the set. 😝

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

Fontaines DC in B&S is a personal highlight

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Stillill42

Woah!! Pavement are coming!!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,877 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

I think off the top of my head 3 of my favourite acts that I watched were NERD (2018), Outkast (2014) and Tame Impala (2015). With NERD and Outkast they were great acts to see really because of the lack of touring and playing Ireland that made it special, plus they were 2 of the hip hop/R&B's I grew up on. Tame Impala were just unreal and I only really knew a few songs but ever since I've gotten into them more although I missed the FF slot and the 3Arena show but wont miss them next time they are here.

The best thing about festivals is catching bands or artists that you may not have paid tickets to see them on their own but you can just stroll up to a stage and see what they are like, they might even make a fan out of you. I remember at Oxegen 07 watching Scissor Sisters while waiting for Snow Patrol/Muse and I wasnt really expecting much but they totally killed it and really surprised me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Poorside

3 absolute crackers, will never forget Let it Happen, that was just unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Fatfrog

Tame Impala definitely will headline Ep at some point, it will be magic!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Mucker46

Would be very happy to see them headline. They were brilliant in 3 arena a while back.

Weird conversation in the End of the Road thread, topic 2021 - How was it for you? I was reading a few posts and in the peoples music highlights no mention of the Pixies. So I posted 'Did the Pixies actually play?' and someone replied 'No body at all watched them' I think a lot at EP would've watched them had the played or it had gone ahead. Or is it mainly Kirsten Dunst fans that attended EOTR. :)

Edit: It turns out they cancelled a while back and yer man was only having the banter with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Fyi

OK I've another one to propose to posters here, what was the most WTF! moment you had at the Picnic or what was the maddest most random thing you heard or was asked over the weekend there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,609 ✭✭✭rubick

Reminder that J5 had us all straddling invisible motorbikes at around teatime on the Sunday afternoon.

Crowd Control indeed.

Certainly in my top five EP moments ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,801 ✭✭✭Rfrip

that's a good question....il have to have a think about that one!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭scruff monkey
    Snarky Snark Snark

i was the victim of an unprompted drive by twerking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭Nugget89

Advertisement