Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mafia Trilogy

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭Cordell

Perhaps the game is a bit too linear though. The graphics are stunning so it seems like a waste of a beautiful open world
    Well, it's still a 2002 game at its core, that was a time when games were linear and open world was not a thing :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

It's also a remake coming out on the tail end of a current gen console that can add anything it wants .

Theres open-world stuff in Free ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Thought 1 was great, finished it in a week, excellent tight story with fun n varied missions.

Put on 2 tonight, felt like a huge step back. Controls are rotten, animations are janky, and it all seems off somehow. Is it worth sticking with it? Story does have something to it to make me want to give it a little more time, though it's definitely cheesier than 1's story.

JimBurnley wrote: »
    Thought 1 was great, finished it in a week, excellent tight story with fun n varied missions.

Put on 2 tonight, felt like a huge step back. Controls are rotten, animations are janky, and it all seems off somehow. Is it worth sticking with it? Story does have something to it to make me want to give it a little more time, though it's definitely cheesier than 1's story.

I got used to the jank. It has a great story with great characters well worth the playthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,673 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Playing Mafia 3 right now finished 1 and 2. Its not as much fun.
    I found 3 to be a drag. Cracking tunes on the radio though.

• Advertisement

Beyond collectibles, I mean. Maybe a clothes store, bars and restaurants you can eat in, some activities etc. It doesn't have to be too much but I felt like Mafia II got the linearity and openness balance right. A lot of the time in the remake the game outright yells at you for moving outside the mission vicinity.

I do like the variety of the missions and I'm interested to find out what happens next. It's just this is one of the most impressive open world games I've seen this gen and I often stop to look around. Just feel like it's wasted somehwat.

You can change clothes upstairs in Salieri's bar. There's missions that unlock more clothes and there's hidden cars hidden around the map but its all in Free Ride mode.

The world is open only in the sense that you can drive anywhere, but it's also empty, all the buildings are just shells, they don't have an interior except those featured in the main campaign. Maybe someday we'll have an open world, open ended sandbox Mafia game, where you can be friendly, enemy or neutral with other groups, mobs or crime families, that will be a proper open world game.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Cordell wrote: »
    The world is open only in the sense that you can drive anywhere, but it's also empty, all the buildings are just shells, they don't have an interior except those featured in the main campaign. Maybe someday we'll have an open world, open ended sandbox Mafia game, where you can be friendly, enemy or neutral with other groups, mobs or crime families, that will be a proper open world game.

Aren’t you pretty much describing the Godfather game there? Really good in its day but I’m not sure if it still holds up.

Could be, I never played that one. Well, maybe it's time for a new one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,749 ✭✭✭Smiles35

I liked it to the end. What I had was was pair of sony in ear headphones. I reccomend something similar as your nearly ''there'' for the amazing historical musical switch from The Andrews Sisters to Blues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭JimBurnley

Smiles35 wrote: »
    I liked it to the end. What I had was was pair of sony in ear headphones. I reccomend something similar as your nearly ''there'' for the amazing historical musical switch from The Andrews Sisters to Blues.

Stuck with M2 and delighted I did. I stand by my comments on the controls, but got used to them after a few more missions. Both the story and mission variety are excellent, and agree the music is outstanding, especially when the early rock n roll type stuff era starts.

So just a few missions from the end now, is the DLC any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,499 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Stuck with M2 and delighted I did. I stand by my comments on the controls, but got used to them after a few more missions. Both the story and mission variety are excellent, and agree the music is outstanding, especially when the early rock n roll type stuff era starts.

So just a few missions from the end now, is the DLC any good?

Joe's Adventure definitely worth playing as it bridges a gap in the main story. The other is fun of you're still looking for mafia action at that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

Finished the first one tonight, loved the story

Gonna get cracking on the second one now,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭brady12

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    Finished the first one tonight, loved the story

Gonna get cracking on the second one now,

About to finish first one . Once I got past the clunky controls I loved it . Great story and setting . First time playing any mafia game . Would you recommend second one ? Is it a good remaster ?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,029 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

brady12 wrote: »
    About to finish first one . Once I got past the clunky controls I loved it . Great story and setting . First time playing any mafia game . Would you recommend second one ? Is it a good remaster ?

I found it fierce janky in places, it has not aged well, I was down the docks doing a mission late on in the game and my car kept appearing on the stairs out of the warehouse blocking my access out of it, weird stuff like that would happen but the story is great and seeing as you've played the first you may as well continue on with the second.

brady12 wrote: »

I'm up to chapter 10 on the second one, enjoying it so far

Finding the controls and shooting etc easier than the first and less clunky tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I'm up to chapter 10 on the second one, enjoying it so far

Finding the controls and shooting etc easier than the first and less clunky tbh

And you also get to carry more guns too.

And you also get to carry more guns too.

DLC extras are supposed to be quite good in it too

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

Currently playing through the second game now myself and agree with those above who have said they rather the controls of the second game.

Animations are obviously quite dated, but as for the actual controls themselves, I find them far more responsive, with the shooting mechanics putting the remake of the first game to shame IMO. Mafia 1 felt overly floaty both in terms of general movement and shooting. I get that they were going for a weighty/realistic feel, but even just walking, or trying to aim a gun left me feeling like I was wading through mud at times.

I still really enjoyed the remake that being said, but just felt it controlled horribly.

up as far as the mission that links 2 back to 1,

superb stuff

• Advertisement

Finished the 2 Jimmy DLCs and started on Joe's adventures now, seems better than the other 2 so far

Getting good value out of the trilogy tbf and still have 3 and it's DLC to play

And finished Mafia 3 now,

Not a bad game imo, just a bit repetitive

Got nearly 2 months entertainment out of the trilogy though so money we'll spent

The music in Mafia 3 is excellent.

Jordan 199 wrote: »
    The music in Mafia 3 is excellent.

yep added the playlist to my spotify library haha

yep added the playlist to my spotify library haha

BTW, were you Born on the Bayou? ;)

Advertisement