Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Slave1 got next

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,195 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

So just back from a walk/22kw charge.
    Was at 35% SOC, took 32.27kWh charge and ended up at 77% SOC.
    So if I assume 95% charging efficiency (I have no basis for that) then I took 30.66kWh for 42% SOC increase....simple math then means 100% SOC is 72.99kWh useable, which (again) simple math gives 5.8% degradation.

Plenty of rough maths above

And the same simple math approach gives me 357kms typical range at full charge, 446 rated range

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

slave1 wrote: »
    And the same simple math approach gives me 357kms typical range at full charge, 446 rated range

I'd take that. Pretty sure i've said it a few times, 300km+ range all year round with mixed driving and i'd be happy.

Yeah, 350kms decent weather was my goal so happy out.
    Drive to work was smooth as butter too on standard car height.

Finally got around to listing my CRV too but I'd expect that to take a while given current climate...

Booked car in for 20% rear tint but am torn to move to 5% limo tint.
    Anyone here got their S tinted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Booked car in for 20% rear tint but am torn to move to 5% limo tint.
    Anyone here got their S tinted?

The first thing ill do is tint the rear windows too.

When doing just the rears, I always go a shade darker than I thing as the flood of light from the windscreen and the front 2 windows will lighten the effect.

I may not go limo (5%) but I would probably go 10-15% if available.

YT may be your friend here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,719 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thinking of it. But what's the point if you can't legally make the front sides or the windscreen any darker than it already is? Would look off to have dark back windows, no?

The main reason I would go for it is not cosmetic, it is to compensate for the ineffective (too small) sun visors. And I don't wear (sun) glasses

All that said, I know almost nothing about tinting. Any pics of tinted Model S vs standard with a description of what sort of tint it is (and obviously if legal here in Ireland)?

unkel wrote: »
    Thinking of it. But what's the point if you can't legally make the front sides or the windscreen any darker than it already is? Would look off to have dark back windows, no?

The main reason I would go for it is not cosmetic, it is to compensate for the ineffective (too small) sun visors. And I don't wear (sun) glasses

I find the privacy glass in the rear valuable for the kids.
    I still have young kids, 9 and 4 with the possibility of one more :D …..hence the possible swap from the i3 to a 5 seater car...…

All that said, I know almost nothing about tinting. Any pics of tinted Model S vs standard with a description of what sort of tint it is (and obviously if legal here in Ireland)?

You can legally go as dark as you want to the rear in Ireland.
    The drivers and front passenger windows are where the restrictions are and generally speaking, any form of tint added to these push it beyond the legal limit.

All my recent cars have been rear tinted with nothing on the front and look fine, our Honda is factory privacy glass and really helps with privacy and heat.
    I'll throw up some before and after pics, did a YT and Images search but the difference between 5% and 20% does not show up well outside real life with my own eyes...

Gumbo wrote: »
    I still have young kids, 9 and 4 with the possibility of one more :D

Are congrats in order yet? :D

Or should I post some commiserations? 3 is an awful lot more work than 2. But I guess yours are a bit older now that should help :D

• Advertisement

I always thought this, and still do. It's why when I get a tint, I don't go limo black on the rear. Can't remember what I got last year, but it's damn hard to see through, and doesn't look too "off" compared to the front. That said, the ioniq isn't exactly "sexy", so who's really looking in the first place.
    My previous car (black car, so perhaps why I tinted all round) I tinted the fronts slightly. Possibly illegal (as a cars standard tint is pretty much on the limits already) but never any issues with NCT etc. The backs were tinted slightly more than the fronts.

I always thought this, and still do. It's why when I get a tint, I don't go limo black on the rear. Can't remember what I got last year, but it's damn hard to see through, and doesn't look too "off" compared to the front. That said, the ioniq isn't exactly "sexy", so who's really looking in the first place.
    My previous car (black car, so perhaps why I tinted all round) I tinted the fronts slightly. Possibly illegal (as a cars standard tint is pretty much on the limits already) but never any issues with NCT etc. The backs were tinted slightly more than the fronts.

The tint issue would likely arise if an insurance claim is made, that's if it is an issue, I'm not touching my fronts

Bored at the laptop today, ordered the parcel shelf butler, sentry stickers and some personalised decals from Abstract Ocean, hope I don't get caught for customs

Why didn't you order in 2 or 3 separate orders to avoid customs?

Also link to those sentry stickers? I doubt they'd scare anyone though :p

Why didn't you order in 2 or 3 separate orders to avoid customs?

Also link to those sentry stickers? I doubt they'd scare anyone though :p

I know, I usually do but was just not on the ball today at all at all.
    Went to adjust the order and already shipped!!!

https://www.abstractocean.com/sentry-window-decal/

Design 1, I presume?

I actually went for the 9th option, pair of white and inside the car stickers

So had the rear windows/boot (20%) and those two tiny pieces on the front doors (5%) tinted this morning.
    Hard to tell exactly with the sun out etc but neat job and I think improves the look of the car
    €140/5 year stand over guarantee

IMG-20200608-133101-1.jpg

Look great Slave.

VRT paid/contested yet? Curious what the damage was in total?

• Advertisement

They are all still shut so no VRT battle commenced yet

Bored at the laptop today, ordered the parcel shelf butler, sentry stickers and some personalised decals from Abstract Ocean, hope I don't get caught for customs

Arrived today, they had a declared value of a fiver so no customs, came from NY so quick enough....

Parcel shelf butler works well and is well made. Should have come with the car though is another criticism of Tesla!

Parcel shelf butler works well and is well made. Should have come with the car though is another criticism of Tesla!

Look i'll do you a favour here, only because the boards.ie love machine says we're compatible, straight swap for my Ioniq. So many cup holders!

Not much material there for the price but as you said, performs the function perfectly and easy fit

py wrote: »
    Thanks, I personally think it's a good deal too. What I'm struggling with now is the best way to calculate the repayment time. Any thoughts on best way to do this?

Sure, I'll throw in a free Porsche too, not using that at all at the moment anyway :p

Sure, I'll throw in a free Porsche too, not using that at all at the moment anyway :p

That thread is that-a-way

Ordered a few bits and bobs, a cabin filter, key fob cover, some wheel nut caps, LED logo lights for the doors and a rubber pad for ease of jacking the car so I can get the wheels off to clean and wax

Any links to the

Wheel nut caps. Mine have saved a bit.
    Jacking pads as I want to take the wheels off to coat them too.

• Advertisement

Ya, no brainer for the sake of €3 to get it, I have my dashcam using that socket at the minute so I'll have to get power from the top speaker/OBD port when I get my ass in gear

Permanent power hack is much easier ;)

Ya, no brainer for the sake of €3 to get it, I have my dashcam using that socket at the minute so I'll have to get power from the top speaker/OBD port when I get my ass in gear

I deffo have to install my dash cam. I may tuck the cable from the windscreen around and up to the 12v in the armrest console.

Unless there’s a 12v or usb somewhere closer to the screen?
    Permanent power hack is much easier ;)

I have the integrated phone dock with the lightning connector so it’s handy for the amount time I’m actually in the car, which is not a lot :)

I deffo have to install my dash cam. I may tuck the cable from the windscreen around and up to the 12v in the armrest console.

Unless there’s a 12v or usb somewhere closer to the screen?

That's exactly what I did, just tucked under the headliner then popped off the A pillar trim and trim at foot level passenger side then tucked under passenger carpet and into 12v in armrest.
    You can get a permanent 12v from both the OBD2 port and (likely) a spare connector up at the speaker grill just in front of the rear view mirror.
    This will then free up the 12v in armrest

That's exactly what I did, just tucked under the headliner then popped off the A pillar trim and trim at foot level passenger side then tucked under passenger carpet and into 12v in armrest.
    You can get a permanent 12v from both the OBD2 port and (likely) a spare connector up at the speaker grill just in front of the rear view mirror.
    This will then free up the 12v in armrest

Does the 12v shut down on locking?

I noticed this evening that the usb slots stay live constantly.

• Advertisement

All shut down on locking. All USB and also the 12V cigarette lighter. The latter can stay live if you hack it. See the video I posted in this thread.

Does the HV battery top up the 12v battery? Want to be doing something, I get 1% Phantom Drain daily...

All shut down on locking. All USB and also the 12V cigarette lighter. The latter can stay live if you hack it. See the video I posted in this thread.

I get the hack but I want that 12v freed up so will tap into the OBD2 port, it is supplied with 5a fuse so should be plenty for a dashcam.
    There is also a connector up at the microphone panel but seeing as I have a sunroof that will be used up.
    If you don't have a sunroof Gumbo then that's a much closer tap for you

I get the hack but I want that 12v freed up

You can use a splitter. That's what I do. For whatever suits best. Mine has a cigarette lighter in it and dual USB (and also a voltage meter showing voltage of aux battery). Unless the OBD2 port is handier for the location of your appliance. If a dashcam, it might be. I will need the OBD2 for something else, so not using that at the moment
    Does the HV battery top up the 12v battery? Want to be doing something, I get 1% Phantom Drain daily...

Yes it does. The beauty of this is that you never have to worry about the 12V battery whether the car is on or off. You can even put a huge drain on it (over 2kW or 200A) and it's fine. Which is brilliant for my needs, but it does create a drain. I don't like the term "phantom drain" as it's not a phantom or a mistery at all. It's the car being "on" 24/7. And yes in my car this is also roughly 1% point per day

I intend using that 12v to run and elegant solution of USB charge points to the rear of the car, kinda want to do it but also don't want the kids on their phones the whole time so I'm a bit 50/50 on it.
    No intention of using the OBD2 port for anything else seeing as I have AP1 and if I do need to run any diagnostics type stuff I can always pop the power source out for that short period

• Advertisement

I intend using that 12v to run and elegant solution of USB charge points to the rear of the car, kinda want to do it but also don't want the kids on their phones the whole time so I'm a bit 50/50 on it.

I had the same considerations :D

I've now one of the two low power USB Tesla ports free (other is used by memory stick with my music in FLAC) and one high power port from my adapter is free (other is used for my wireless phone charger)

The kids can connect their devices to either of those free ports on a longer trip (which we haven't done since I got the car). I also have a cigarette socket port free. We have one of those travel fridges that can plug in there. And of course I could bring a real fridge or microwave or kettle as I have 600W continuous AC power in the frunk :cool:

My USB stays live.

I have this little usb led that I plugged in and I went out to the car last night after it was parked up for about 3 hours and the led was still on.

It probably came back on because the car woke up because you approached it. Unless your car has the stay alive hack which I doubt it does :D

It probably came back on because the car woke up because you approached it. Unless your car has the stay alive hack which I doubt it does :D

Keys were still in the house.
    I was putting the bins out.

Interesting. Maybe a previous owner applied the hack so. Further research is required to find out the truth :D

Keys were still in the house.
    I was putting the bins out.

Do yourself up a quickie Faraday box, even if you just leave your keys in a balled up sheet of aluminum foil, don't want your baby go walkies!

I get the hack but I want that 12v freed up so will tap into the OBD2 port, it is supplied with 5a fuse so should be plenty for a dashcam.

This is the OBD2 power adapter I just ordered to supply feed to my dashcam, I just hope Tesla have not fluted around with the power connectors in the OBD2 port, they are not fans of intrustion to their cars as we know and have been actively trying to removed OBD ports from the car but I think they are having difficulty as there is some law/regulation somewhere that says all cars must have them (could be completely wrong in that)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32959993961.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.526b4c4duxQqWd

Yes an OBD port is required under motor manufacturers regulations or some rule there.

I had the same considerations :D

I've now one of the two low power USB Tesla ports free (other is used by memory stick with my music in FLAC) and one high power port from my adapter is free (other is used for my wireless phone charger)

The kids can connect their devices to either of those free ports on a longer trip (which we haven't done since I got the car). I also have a cigarette socket port free. We have one of those travel fridges that can plug in there. And of course I could bring a real fridge or microwave or kettle as I have 600W continuous AC power in the frunk :cool:

This might be a solution for you if you don't mind having a 12v splitter, would look good I think from the rear seat and gives you extra USB ports up front

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/33014212967.html?spm=a2g0o.productlist.0.0.63293824GCejqA&algo_pvid=4afd6eea-90b4-43fc-9a1a-89fff2ca304f&algo_expid=4afd6eea-90b4-43fc-9a1a-89fff2ca304f-36&btsid=0ab6f82215923931543816369e2ac7&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_,searchweb201603_

VRT now back open, appointment done for early July :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement