Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Bike - Carbon or Alu

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

the claimed weight difference from the manufacturers seems to be around 60g, between the supplied wheels and zondas.

I'm surprised at that those DT swiss wheels look like they're just something to keep the bike off the floor in the sales room. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

just googled them, they seem to be about €300-€330 online, so not exactly bottom of the barrel.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭torturedsoul

MojoMaker wrote: »
    Carbon isn't the be all and end all don't forget. A good high-end Alu bike probably a better investment than low-grade carbon, which is all you get in the sub-4k territory. I don't buy the performance angle necessarily, of course generally it's lighter but it comes with its own problems, it's more susceptible to scratches (particularly matt finishes), it doesn't take impacts too well, there are bottom bracket issues on many cheap carbon frames, and overall the material is less durable.

Of course, down the pub everyone wants carbon, but a well-specced Bowman, Ridley, or CAAD frame would be a fine bike to own.

Sad in a way that Canyon dropped their superlight AL frames but I guess the new cyclist only sees/hears carbon. I reckon after a few years in the sport/hobby you see folks coming back around to high-quality Alu, steel, and titanium eventually (when the pockets stretch a bit).

For years I have been seduced by carbon. Bought a beautiful Felt AR 4 and it was amazing but that was because I was coming from the entry level Giant defy 4. I had to sell the FELT and went back to the Giant. The entry level AL bike is giving me lower back pain due to the vibration coming up through the bike, through the saddle and into me arse. This never happened with the Carbon bike.

However, years later, I am now in a position to buy again and if I am going to be spending 1000's on a bike I don't want it falling apart. Carbon is a plastic bike essentially. I am now getting seduced by Titanium. Maybe the first 3 letters are leading me on here, but I wasn't necessarily blown away by the Carbon bike I had

byrnem31 wrote: »
    I just changed from a 2018 alu cube nuroad to a giant defy advanced 2 2020 carbon bike, €2250.
    I had big thick anti puncture tyres on the nuroad and thought no way in hell will the new bike be as comfortable. The difference is night and day with the defy being way more comfortable. Its light years ahead of the cube though in fairness its twice the price. The comfort is through the frame.

A lifetime warranty on the frame for the original owner too. You cant make a guarantee like that unless they are well made. Also 2 year warranty if you crash and break the frame in the first 2 years. Shimano 105 with 11 gears. It's perfect and great on gravel. I'll never go back to aluminium. No road buzz, vibration, etc. coming through the bike.

F**K sake, Now I don't know what I should buy. (granted this is someone elses thread but I have a budget of about 3500-4000. Titanium or Carbon)

Any good suggestions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Any good suggestions?

At that price either you can choose between an aero frameset, di2 or a titanium frameset.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Normally I'd agree on the colour but everything is "stealth black" these days a bit of colour is nice. Bring back the artistic side of cycling that colnago etc went for. I'd only go for the disc model if I was going with carbon wheels otherwise rim brakes are plenty on a roadie.

I done the bright colours and designs and have now gone for the stealth black look. My S-Works roubaix is satin blank with polish black detailing and I’m considering removing the stickers from my wheels to match. You just can’t beat stealthy black, everyone I know now has bright colourful bikes so at least mine now stands out without standing out.
    F**K sake, Now I don't know what I should buy. (granted this is someone elses thread but I have a budget of about 3500-4000. Titanium or Carbon)

I’d be going for carbon at the price point. Titanium is nice but IMO a good carbon bike is nicer. The problem I have with titanium frames is that they all look the same until your up closer and can read the brand name/model.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Carbon is a plastic bike essentially.
    true, as long as you're willing to ignore basic chemistry.

true, as long as you're willing to ignore basic chemistry.

I am not a chemist. Basically I don't want to spend 3500-4000 on a bike that could shatter. I have heard horror stories :-( Just a bit nervous with my hard earned cash and the last thing I want is to feel nervous on the down hills.

I hear Titanium is more durable but my research is still new.

I done the bright colours and designs and have now gone for the stealth black look. My S-Works roubaix is satin blank with polish black detailing and I’m considering removing the stickers from my wheels to match. You just can’t beat stealthy black, everyone I know now has bright colourful bikes so at least mine now stands out without standing out.

I’d be going for carbon at the price point. Titanium is nice but IMO a good carbon bike is nicer. The problem I have with titanium frames is that they all look the same until your up closer and can read the brand name/model.

Thanks for that. I really want to go back to Carbon but am torn.

• Advertisement

cycle with your eyes closed! problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

If a carbon frame fails you can get a warranty replacement. Carbon is more likely to brake on impact, but the impact required to brake carbon would probably brake other bikes, unless you're on an mtb where there is rock fling etc. Carbon bikes should last a long time but if you want a bike you can ride for a lifetime go titanium.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,576 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

@maxamillius - have a look here for some thought-provoking options for titanium builds. At least two frames on this list are in very affordable territory and look the dog's danglies compared to a generic clone carbon build - https://road.cc/content/buyers-guide/12-best-titanium-road-bikes-255037#mozTocId239684

• Registered Users Posts: 9,293 ✭✭✭Macy0161

With Ti my research suggested that I think you have to be careful of the welds - I'd be looking at one that gives a substantial frame warranty.

Personally, n+1 will be steel (hopefully custom build).

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

+1 if its a lifer you want, steel is where its at in general. Depending on what you want from material, the most important thing is actually the frame builder. If they are good and you have the pocket for 953, wonderful. A bad frame builder could probably make a noodle out if it so this is why the frame builder is the most important part. I had a bike made out of some form of 4130CroMo which from what I can tell was not much different to some double butted Reynolds tubing in the 531 range. Best bike I ever rode, comfy, responsive, could ride across France and still place in an amateur race. The downside, if you don't look after it, you can get rust and other issues but thats a user issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭ckeego

There you go...

https://www.hargreaves-cycles.co.uk/m39b0s412p8507/CANNONDALE-SystemSix-Carbon-DuraAce-DEMO-2019

• Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

ckeego wrote: »

that was my bikeshop (in a different location) when i was growing up :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭who_ru

CramCycle wrote: »
    Rose X Lite four, i have the six and it is glorious. The 4 is 6.8kg for €2399

i heard about Rose bikes alright, good value for money by all accounts. What's the difference between the 4 and 6 i wonder?

i have a stealth black carbon bike, and could take it or leave it, looks wise.
    as i was typing this, a chap cycled past the window on a similar bike. if you'd told me that it was the same as mine (which is unlikely), i'd not have batted an eyelid. they all look the same.
    gimme a neon vomit late 80s MBK right now!

Advertisement