Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Film/TV Series Recommendations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Rfrip wrote: »
    Four episodes into halt and catch fire...love it. Will have it binge watched in no time!!

Bugged me as to how I knew one of the main characters. He was a long haired blonde in middle earth.

Beardy guy was great in Narcos Mexico.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Hurrache wrote: »
    Bugged me as to how I knew one of the main characters. He was a long haired blonde in middle earth.

He's the bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy 1 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

Lee Pace fantastic actor

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He's the bad guy in Guardians of the Galaxy 1 too.

Yeah, I read that but can't picture him in it, Ill have to watch it again.

He's brilliant though in Halt and Catch Fire.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,143 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I actually always thought he was British, but that was because I thought him and Matthew MacFadyen were the same person apparently. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Himself and Davis are the kind of actors you could have seen in six different things without twigging it was all the one guy or girl. He was also in The Fall, a really gorgeous and very unique looking movie.

The other two, Donna and Gordon, also played husband and wife in Argo.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

We finished season 1 this evening, it's great.

Apparently it's all leaving Prime on the 15th though so pressure is on to get the rest watched.

Balls! Is it actually? It's been on my list for ages but I've been putting it off.

Undercover Mafia is easy to miss because its not listed when your search it in IMDB and its original name "Solo" i couldn't find either until i googled it and then found the imdb link that way.
    Its an N'Dranghetta drama set in Calabria, and having lived down there it really captures the place and the types of people and the aura of that region of Italy. Its not a big budget production but Calabria is a run down dump of place by design anyway so it fits perfectly. Each episode is almost 2 hours long in season 1. Its a pretty damn good drama.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Balls! Is it actually? It's been on my list for ages but I've been putting it off.

Yeah it seems to be, if you go into it on the phone app it says "leaving Prime on October 15th"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

That's a balls, only started watching it. Why are they taking it down? I'm not seeing any message about leaving.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,800 ✭✭✭Rfrip

We finished season 1 this evening, it's great.

Apparently it's all leaving Prime on the 15th though so pressure is on to get the rest watched.

Fin season 1..I’m in a rush now to have it all watched before the 15th!!

It’s so good...I love all the main characters.
    It’s what succession wishes it was I feel if that makes sense to anyone.

If it doesn’t just ignore me!!!

Rfrip wrote: »
    Fin season 1..I’m in a rush now to have it all watched before the 15th!!

It’s so good...I love all the main characters.
    It’s what succession wishes it was I feel if that makes sense to anyone.

If it doesn’t just ignore me!!!

Halt and Catch Fire is what Succcession wishes it was? Whaaaa? Chalk and Cheese!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Just finished Halt and Catch Fire last night. The best series I've watched in a long time. How it ended, even though the last two episodes probably could have been just one episode, will stay with me for a good while.
    The episodes dealing Gordon's Death and them clearing out the house afterwards absolutely killed me. I had a feeling he was probably going to pass away at some stage but when it happened it was devastating.
    I thought there was a bit of a dip in HCF in season 4 TBH.

First 3 seasons excellent - 4th pretty good.
    Like when your man's daughter invented a search engine
    - that was kinda stupid.

Just in relation to that.
    She didn't invent a search engine at all. Joe saw how she was putting up links to websites she liked and thought that curating the web was the way forward by directing people to different websites based on what the different people they had employed liked. They didn't add a search option until much later.

Will be watching the last two episodes tonight. S4 episode 8 was emotional.

A very tough watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,653 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Halt and catch fire is grand but nothing ground breaking that's for sure. Alot of the characters are irritating. The storyline is a bit boring to be honest. I'm almost finished season 1 but struggling to stay with it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I think it's the best thing I've seen in a long time. I loved the complexity that they brought to the characters and how they bring out the best and worst in each other. I raced to get it finished before it leaves Prime this week. I'm going to miss it now its over but glad it had a nicely contained four seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

I think it's the best thing I've seen in a long time. I loved the complexity that they brought to the characters and how they bring out the best and worst in each other. I raced to get it finished before it leaves Prime this week. I'm going to miss it now its over but glad it had a nicely contained four seasons.

Looks like I'm going to miss out on this.

Where is it moving to or is it being canned?

Looks like I'm going to miss out on this.

Where is it moving to or is it being canned?

The show finished 3 or 4 years ago, it's just leaving prime. Hopefully it will be like Justified and pop back up again after a week or two. i think there's something with licenses where shows leave for a short time and show up again.

I too rushed through all 4 seasons over the last couple of weeks, would agree it's one of the best shows I've watched in a good while.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭ozmo

Lost a whole load of content on Prime over the weekend on Prime- tried tv and fire-stick. Some series that I was half way through. Finally checked on the pc where it says they are now region locked to uk.

They still appear in the firestick main menu screens - but cannot open and not visible at all in the Prime app.

My TV doesn't handle vpns very well - goes too slow so I dont use one.

Annoying.

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

For whats it worth, i also binge watched halt and catch fire in the last week. Agree that its one of the best things ive seen in a long while. I actually have a feeling of loss that the show is over.
    For those that are interested there is a a script of 8 pages for during season 1
    :
    https://twitter.com/ifyoucantwell/status/1251239805259669504

https://www.dropbox.com/s/uuo6863y25xfnr9/ReHello.pdf?dl=0

Halt and catch fire is grand but nothing ground breaking that's for sure. Alot of the characters are irritating. The storyline is a bit boring to be honest. I'm almost finished season 1 but struggling to stay with it.

Everybody who would have recommended it almost definitely added a "You just have to get through S1!" disclaimer :P

S1 can be hard going because it clearly hasn't found its centre yet and it tries a bit too hard to be Mad Men. Once S2 gets rolling it and it starts standing on its own two feet it starts paying off in a major way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

Yes Season 1 is a chore aside from the pilot and the last 2 maybe.

Fair play to them for figuring it out and reshaping it into something beautiful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Everybody who would have recommended it almost definitely added a "You just have to get through S1!" disclaimer :P

S1 can be hard going because it clearly hasn't found its centre yet and it tries a bit too hard to be Mad Men. Once S2 gets rolling it and it starts standing on its own two feet it starts paying off in a major way.

I was hooked from Season 1 Episode 1 because I was messing around with building basic PC's at the same time, taking apart my Apple IIe and trying to build IBM clones also. It hooked me right in.

QikBax wrote: »
    Yes Season 1 is a chore aside from the pilot and the last 2 maybe.

Fair play to them for figuring it out and reshaping it into something beautiful.

I saw somebody make the point that even in the relatively short time since HACF was made the landscape has changed so much that might not be possible if it was made now, which is sobering to think about. HACF was only ever a cult/critical darling while it aired and S1 put a lot of people off, but it still got 3 seasons after that and grew into something totally apart from where it started. Post streaming TV increasingly demands an instant blockbuster, or bust. The idea of giving it a second season to dial in on what it wants to do would be mad now.

I didn't find Season 1 a chore at all. I was hooked from the get-go. I honestly didn't see any 'struggling to find its own feet' during that first season. I wouldn't be what you would call techie in anyway..

I wouldn't have thought season 1 was the weakest at all, if anything it was the most gripping in terms of stakes for me. I would have ear marked the last half of season 2 as the weakest part (at least I think it was season 2..whenever
    Cam gets voted out of mutiny and it takes a few time jumps. Felt those few episodes killed them momentum and I wasn't sure where they were headed with it

I wouldn't have thought season 1 was the weakest at all, would have ear marked the last half of season 2 as the weakest part (at least I think it was season 2..whenever
    Cam gets voted out of mutiny and it takes a few time jumps. Felt those few episodes killed them momentum and I wasn't sure where they were headed with it

That's close to the end of Season 3. There was still another couple of episodes in Season 3 after that happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I was gripped from first couple of episodes and really enjoyed season 1. Seems fans are spilt between season 1 being one of strongest or weakest seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,208 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

the app is so bad really,ive had it over a year,and never seen halt listed or ,recommended, even though i know of it and watched 2 seasons before.

Advertisement