Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why don't people move for others?

Options
  • 10-05-2020 10:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭

I was out walking today. While I was walking I was walking on the left hand side of the road. Up ahead there was someone walking up the road coming in my direction. I got closer and it was up to me to move over to the other side of the road.

I moved over to the other side of the road and continued on my walk, walking on the right hand side of the road. Up ahead there was a couple out walking coming in my direction. The same thing happened. It was up to me to move over to the left hand side of the road.

I continued my journey walking on the left side of the road, and I looked down into my phone to change the radio channel. I didn't find any music I liked and so I went over to YouTube to find some music. When I settled on a song, and looked up, there was another person walking into me.

Not one of them showed an ounce of consideration or even tried to step to the other side. I was only so sorry I didn't think about starting a fake coughing fit to see if they were brave enough to continue walking into me. If it happens again I will definitely be doing the fake coughing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

"I was walking on the left hand side of the road."

that was your first mistake, you should have stayed your course after that though

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

I'm seeing many that give space but unfortunately more now the opposite...

People are morons

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I walk to the left and stay to the left. If someone wants to walk into me good luck to them. The park I walk on is clearly marked for people to walk to the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭bilbot79

I think they just aren't thinking about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 259 ✭✭Giraffe Box

owlbethere wrote: »
    I was out walking today. While I was walking I was walking on the left hand side of the road. Up ahead there was someone walking up the road coming in my direction. I got closer and it was up to me to move over to the other side of the road.

I moved over to the other side of the road and continued on my walk, walking on the right hand side of the road. Up ahead there was a couple out walking coming in my direction. The same thing happened. It was up to me to move over to the left hand side of the road.

I continued my journey walking on the left side of the road, and I looked down into my phone to change the radio channel. I didn't find any music I liked and so I went over to YouTube to find some music. When I settled on a song, and looked up, there was another person walking into me.

Not one of them showed an ounce of consideration or even tried to step to the other side. I was only so sorry I didn't think about starting a fake coughing fit to see if they were brave enough to continue walking into me. If it happens again I will definitely be doing the fake coughing.

Keep that story for when the pubs open up again. You'll have them all spellbound!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

there's lot of People that are genuinely stupid and completely ignorant of how they virus is transmitted. This despite the media literally saturated with social distancing 24/7.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Lucy8080

It's all about the dreaded polite dance. You move,they move, you've both realised, in your good mannerly way, you are still blocking each other. This dance continues until one of you gets pissed off enough to seem slightly rude. Then you have lost the good manners/polite game.

After that, your life is downhill guilt fuelled slide into the grave.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Master.

owlbethere wrote: »

Did you have a white suit on?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,180 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

It's an attitude people develop op.
    Am sure if I asked each of them as you passed by, and if I got a truthful answer, they'd all say "why should I move for him?"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Never move, hold your course, keep going for them while looking them straight in the eyes, quickening your pace as you close in on them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,547 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

kowloon wrote: »
    Never move, hold your course, keep going for them while looking them straight in the eyes, quickening your pace as you close in on them.

I just move, alone or with the family. I have responsibilities and I'm not taking a risk for "pride" & I don't have a fragile ego. If someone want's to maintain their course, refuse to distance and be a dick let them away.

Not worth a childish school corridor shoulder brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,567 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

And cough into your hand or sleeve while doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 16,105 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    there's lot of People that are genuinely stupid and completely ignorant of how they virus is transmitted. This despite the media literally saturated with social distancing 24/7.

It just never should have been said that you needed to be under 2 metres and less than 15 minutes in someones company
    Where on earth did that 15 minutes come from . Some people still think you need to be with someone for 15 minutes to be infected

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

cj maxx wrote: »
    And cough into your hand or sleeve while doing it

It's not a game of chicken, it's a game of bat, and Batman never loses. Unless it's pangolin, they're armoured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Tunsil

"I was walking on the left hand side of the road."

that was your first mistake, you should have stayed your course after that though

I have to agree with this. Same rules as driving and bike paths. Not so sure how staying the course proves any sort of point though. Presumably you're doing this because you're concerned about social distancing.

My mother would be considered one of those people that doesn't move for others. She's old and has a life long illness for the last 15 years. She looks fine and walks at a reasonable pace but can't turn very well and finds it hard to stop once she gets going, her sight isn't great either.

Catching C-19 would end her life. She's had one walk since she stopped cocooning and won't be going out again as some younger, more able bodies people just held their line and wouldn't give way. She almost fell trying to avoid a guy around my age that did the whole "looked at her straight in the eye" and basically bullied her out of the way. Freaked her out and knocked her confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

^^ i hope a bat sh1ts on the c*nt that did that to her

• Registered Users Posts: 13,075 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

You moved first.. It's called the 'chicken' game OP.

To thine own self be true

^^ i hope a bat sh1ts on the c*nt that did that to her

He'll have his comeuppance.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 943

Maybe they are thinking the same thing about you.

I get it though, it annoys me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,050 ✭✭✭✭Esel

A few coughs into your elbow as they approach...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 4,515 ✭✭✭jaffa20

I try move out of the way as much as possible. What i hate are the runners who come up behind you silently and ending up huffing and puffing while brushing up against you as they pass by. Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,572 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Firstly, I congratulate your Mother for remaining in her teens into old age. Secondly, fcuk that guy. I have relatives who really shouldn't be out, but when they are I would hope people had a bit of cop on and gave them a bit of room.
    That a bit dickish, it clearly means she developed a condition 15 years ago that will persist for the rest of her life.

Very few of us will drop off in our sleep in old age without having prior health conditions. Only a minority are that lucky.

Firstly, I congratulate your Mother for remaining in her teens into old age

She has Parkinson's disease and a few other issues. It's with her for the rest of her life, she looks fine due to the meds but has serious mobility issues and came across someone like you with your "Never move, hold your course, keep going for them while looking them straight in the eyes, quickening your pace as you close in on them" attitude.

But sure, you're allright jack holding your course and looking people straight in the eye. Keep up the good work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭con___manx1

Why does crap like that bother you op just be the bigger person and move away from the ignorent ****in idiots. I cross the road to get away sometimes from groups of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's Ireland, always travel left and expect all people to follow this, I never alter course when on the left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,540 ✭✭✭tscul32

My husband was out walking with the 14year old and had to keep telling him to move when people were coming. He asked "why do I have to move, why don't they?" But then, he's a teenager...

He was told to cop on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

if you start fake coughing about 4 meters away they will move fairly rapid
    i have a relation with a nasty cough they have had for over 40 years ,
    when we are out , people nearly ****e themselves to get away .

i would just stop dead and look at my phone as well, then they have no choice but to go around .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,300 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Happens all the time, Covid-19 or not. It's especially annoying when those walking side by side won't make room for oncoming traffic lest it disrupts their very important conversation.

Prime example - 45 seconds into this, two bimbos who won't make room/fall into line. Several other examples in the video also, blocking the path, bad etiquette, not looking where you're going, failing to give way (motorists)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,449 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

People are morons that's all. Got the lift in my apartment block last week. Basement to 3rd floor. It stops on the ground floor and in walks a woman. Surprised to see someone in there. These lifts are small by the way. She goes 1 floor and gets out. Seriously. Take the stairs or wait. I've made the decision to take the stairs everytime now. Healthier for me and it keeps me out of the way of the numpties

If I'm walking along and there's a couple who don't seem to be moving, I just stop dead in the path, on my side I was walking. Always confuses them and they have to move.

Advertisement