Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names who are worth the money and deliver great quality products?

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

mfceiling wrote: »
    Wife bought a brand new 520 d in 2007. After 3 weeks the flywheel went on it. After 4 years and 50k miles the flywheel went again...with the clutch....and the turbo. 5 and a half thousand to repair. After weeks of back and forth BMW covered 4,400 and we paid the rest.
    It constantly blew bulbs...I mean every 3rd or 4th day it needed a bulb. The tailgate worked intermittently then stopped completely. The flat tyre sensors used to beep to say there was a flat wheel....there wasn't.

It was the greatest heap of scrap we ever owned. It was stolen after our house was broken into. We joked that it was probably only a mile away because it would have broken down.

Check out the "timing chain issues on the N47 bmw diesel engine".

Entire engine has to come out to access the chain which is a weak part. BMW tried to keep this quiet but eventually had to admit liability and compensate owners for the cost.

Never again would I have one on the drive.

Tis the m47 engine you want. Bomb proof!

I had a 2007 520d for a year. Didn't care for it. Too big. Too heavy. Sluggish.
    Handled beautifully, though.
    Economical.
    Very comfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I'll chip in here with a relatively new brand and say the InstantPot. Seems well made, lots of resources, accessories and genuine parts available for it. I can see it lasting a long time i our house.

Completely agree. I love mine. Such a good product amazed I didn't think of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Tis the m47 engine you want. Bomb proof!

I had a 2007 520d for a year. Didn't care for it. Too big. Too heavy. Sluggish.
    Handled beautifully, though.
    Economical.
    Very comfortable.

In fairness it was comfortable and economical but after that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Zippo lighters are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Zippo lighters are brilliant.

Too smelly and don't last very long before refills.
    USB lighters ftw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Snails pace

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before but I think it Barrys tea is worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I'm not sure if it was mentioned before but I think it Barrys tea is worth the money.

It was mentioned before. Great tea for sure, Bewleys tea I find amazing as well.

I find Nike runners last me an age, if I clean them up properly they look as good as new a year later with daily use.

Also I’ll echo the thoughts of a few posters re the IPad, mines about four years old and getting the exact same perfermonance as the day it was opened. iPhone not so much, slows down frustratingly over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,902 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
    Bosch.
    Hilti.
    Have a Kenwood Chef from the 70s, still going.

Kellogg's Corn Flakes.
    Bosch.
    Hilti.
    Have a Kenwood Chef from the 70s, still going.

We have some version of a Kenwood food mixer at home too. I never remember it not being there so must be from the mid 80’s at the latest if not before I was born. Still used every week and is on the go constantly in the lead up to Christmas etc.

• Moderators Posts: 12,370 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

From what I hear, colourtrend paint.
    It's certainly more expensive than even good Dulux paint, but any time i've seen it on walls it looks superior.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

8-10 wrote: »
    Best place to buy in Ireland?

Online rather than in store but I got my Wusthof here and it was a fair bit cheaper than Nisbets or Sweeny O'Rourke. Decent delivery time too.

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/ct/wusthof-knives.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 19,617 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I'll chip in here with a relatively new brand and say the InstantPot. Seems well made, lots of resources, accessories and genuine parts available for it. I can see it lasting a long time i our house.

Yeah the Instant Pot is great. Its the ultimate in lazy cooking, when I get in late I just put in some frozen fish fillets, broccoli and peas in it, add water, select the steam function and 12 mins later dinner is ready with zero effort from myself. Its great for soups and stews and what used to take 8 hours in a slow cooker now takes an hour in a pressure cooker. For 60 quid its been a fantastic piece of kit.
    CrankyHaus wrote: »
    They seem to be a respected major presence in diverse markets like motorcycles and musical instruments.

Have an old Yamaha motorbike and its pretty bullet proof and built like a tank. In the last 5 years its cost me the sum total of 250 euro in replacement parts, aside from servicing thats all I've paid to maintain it.

From what I hear, colourtrend paint.
    It's certainly more expensive than even good Dulux paint, but any time i've seen it on walls it looks superior.

+1, its worth paying the extra for Colourtrend. When you're painting using it it is much thicker than other paints, you can see the quality going on and the colours are great. Dulux have a premium range out now called Moda trying to compete with it but I'll stick with Colourtrend when they get back open

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Casio.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    +1, its worth paying the extra for Colourtrend. When you're painting using it it is much thicker than other paints, you can see the quality going on and the colours are great. Dulux have a premium range out now called Moda trying to compete with it but I'll stick with Colourtrend when they get back open

We went Moda pretty much everywhere in our house when we bought (It was on a rare offer from Woodies at the time). Weren't made of money to splash out on colourtrend, but it'll be colourtrend next time we paint (a new colour).
    Moda is good though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭paddydriver

Lurching wrote: »
    Rega turntables.

I've robbed my dad's one. It's from the early 80's and they're still producing almost an identical unit today.
    Beautiful to operate and simple.

Technics SL1210... 25 years and still spinning strong!

Yeah I have a friend who went Moda for the exact same reasons- a 3 for the price of 2 sale in B&Q. It is a decent paint but not quite the quality of Colourtrend. His house still looks a great job though.

I dont think Ive ever seen Colourtrend on any kind of proper discount right across their range, they control the prices tightly. Whereas Dulux will always have a 3 for 2 offer at least a couple of times a year in the DIY shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭lmimmfn

fryup wrote: »
    Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines - last forever
    Agreed, My last lawnmower(~16 years old stored in damp/leaky shed ), the engine fell through the rusted body, engine still worked though :)

Commodore Amiga - My A1200 from October '92 still going strong

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Nokotan wrote: »
    Online rather than in store but I got my Wusthof here and it was a fair bit cheaper than Nisbets or Sweeny O'Rourke. Decent delivery time too.

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/ct/wusthof-knives.htm

Thanks for that - I'd been on that site a few times because of their extensive range but hadn't heard anyone's review of using them.

I'm going to piecemeal it a bit as I'd rather pay for the knives I most need first rather than invest in a full set that I won't use from day 1. I have a couple of decent ones already.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭Salvation Tambourine

8-10 wrote: »
    Thanks for that - I'd been on that site a few times because of their extensive range but hadn't heard anyone's review of using them.

I'm going to piecemeal it a bit as I'd rather pay for the knives I most need first rather than invest in a full set that I won't use from day 1. I have a couple of decent ones already.

I've just after re-checking out their prices

https://www.knivesandtools.ie/en/pt/-wusthof-classic-chef-s-knife-20-cm-wide-4584-20.htm

I got this for €69 in December. It seems to have shot up to €113 now unless it was on sale in December.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

OSI wrote: »
    That's a flat out lie. Benchmarks and tests readily show (and the industry concurs) that the current A13 chip in the iPhones is faster than even the current flagship Snapdragon 865 ( and this has been the case for a while with Apple A series chips ) which is in only the very latest of Android flagship models, and yet you can get the A13 in the $400 iPhone SE. The previous flagship android chip, the 855 from last year was slower even than an iPhone 8 iPhone of 2017.

How many people, using their phone for typical use, would ever notice? My phone has an ancient Snapdragon 625 & I can't think of anything it does that isn't more than fast enough. I have never thought that I should of got a faster chip.

I am sure the A13 is a wonder of engineering but for the money it should be. I paid €200 three years ago, the phone is still perfect & the battery life excellent.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah I have a friend who went Moda for the exact same reasons- a 3 for the price of 2 sale in B&Q. It is a decent paint but not quite the quality of Colourtrend. His house still looks a great job though.

I dont think Ive ever seen Colourtrend on any kind of proper discount right across their range, they control the prices tightly. Whereas Dulux will always have a 3 for 2 offer at least a couple of times a year in the DIY shops.

Woodies have started excluding Moda from their Dulux sales. All the more reason to splash out a bit more and go colourtrend

• Registered Users Posts: 11,639 ✭✭✭✭ACitizenErased

+1 to whoever mentioned Anker. Got a soundcore bluetooth speaker for €30 and the quality from it is insane.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Farrow & Ball

Bialetti Moka Pot
    512658.jpeg

These things are bulletproof and make excellent coffee once you get the hang of them. Haven't missed takeaway coffee at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Phillips air fyers.
    Great job , just a bitch to clean if you don't keep on top of it.
    Well worth the money

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭jack of all

Another vote from me for Le Creuset- we have pots, casseroles and skillet pans that are used week in week out for 20 years and still looking good and performing well. Also Wusthof- already have a small knife and steel from them, looking to replace my chefs knife now and will get a Wusthof. Victorinox swiss army knives are wonderful, useful tools in the home and are great value for money, I have two of them. Nilfisk do make a good vacuum cleaner, our one is 20 years old now and still going strong. Bosch make good stuff, have both home appliance and many power tools by them. As regards hand tools, I have many favourites but I really like stuff from CK (or CeKa) a German brand that makes good no nonsense hand tools which are good quality and reasonably priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,544 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Screwpull.
    I write this with limited experience as I have only ever bought one of their products. A wine bottle opener. Have had it 15 years now and it is still going strong. And it gets a lot of use!

It's like this one.
    Expensive but pure quality.

I just smash the top off a park bench.

🙈🙉🙊

Advertisement