Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Big Brand names who are worth the money and deliver great quality products?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Krups. I've a coffee machine that must be 25 years old. Still works perfectly and makes a great brew.

LG. 2 TVs and a soundbar. Reliable and good quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,184 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not sure of brand, but my mother has a tumble dryer in her garage that was bought in the early 80s....and its still going fine.

Amazing when you consider such electrical equipment like that which produces a lot of heat might have a tendency to burn some part or other out.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Lego, BMW, Asics

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

NIMAN wrote: »
    I just did a quick search for one of their pan sets
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Creuset-51803000010002-Saucepan-gl-Lid-Aluminium/dp/B08249516P/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?crid=3BTZHY3USKMAT&dchild=1&keywords=le+creuset+pan+set&qid=1589099709&sprefix=la+cru%2Caps%2C149&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFTSlBWWkZIOFgwQU4mZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTAxNDgzNzZVTlU4SDZCQkpDT0MmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDQ0ODQ5NTFFUDhWWjJESVlVTDkmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Sweet Lord!

Are they really that good?

I mean, I would guess they are top quality stuff, but I bought a pan set about 20 years ago for well under £100. Think they might have even been about 60 or so. And they are still in use.

I appreciate mine are probably not to everyones taste, but surely you could buy a pan set for 100 and change every decade? You often get half price deals on pan sets so you'd pick up decent ones anyway.

Yes they are expensive if you dont inherit them or get an wedding gifts!

But you can get them on sale every now and again and build up over time. Their Irish store has a sale right now and you can get a decent size casserole dish for a bit more than €100 and a large one for €200

It's personal preference obviously but you won't ever have to replace one.

In the spirit of the thread, they are the biggest brand in what they do, but they are also top quality.

In my view it's value for money as I dislike the general 'disposability' of modern consumer products. If you know you're going to have to replace something at some stage you accept lesser quality. Then the reasons for spending more money on something that's disposable or not of lasting quality change to spending more just because of the brand name, status or gimmick.

Not saying there aren't more affordable brands than le crueset of the same quality, there very well may be.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

8-10 wrote: »
    This isn't a big brand or anything, but the absolute best quality item I've bought in years is the Anker Soundcore Bluetooth speaker

The battery life is ridiculous which is what you want for a portable, and the sound is really good.

Also le Creuset cookware. Biggest brand in cast iron but they last multiple lifetimes and look great. Quality cookware is worth the investment and if you're spending a lot you need the best

Speaking of which, I'm on the lookout for quality chefs knives if anyone has any recommendations

How long have you had the Anker?
    I was more than happy with mine until one day the battery died instantly. It won't work at all now unless plugged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Mitsubishi cars - driving one for over 10 yrs - not a hiccup

Samsung TVs - excellent picture & no issues

Lenovo Laptops - esp the Thinkpad range, bullet proof

Wilkinson Sword Razors - not so much as a nik off them

Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines - last forever

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Nike

• Registered Users Posts: 8,991 ✭✭✭pgj2015

fryup wrote: »
    Mitsubishi cars - driving one for over 10 yrs - not a hiccup

Samsung TVs - excellent picture & no issues

Lenovo Laptops - esp the Thinkpad range, bullet proof

Wilkinson Sword Razors - not so much as a nik off them

Briggs & Stratton lawnmower engines - last forever

one of my neighbours drives a 1994 mitsubishi, i was saying to someone that its a great advertisement for them. he must have it 20 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭8-10

sligojoek wrote: »
    I was more than happy with mine until one day the battery died instantly. It won't work at all now unless plugged in.

Wow interesting. I very rarely have to charge it and it's going great. Looked at my emails there and looks like I got it in 2016

Wow interesting. I very rarely have to charge it and it's going great. Looked at my emails there and looks like I got it in 2016

I’ve one around the same length. Don’t use it a massive amount but they’re a great little job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,296 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

L1011 wrote: »
    Bosch.

Even when stuff does eventually break down, you can get parts for 20+ year old kit easily

Still a private business... You could forget that customer focus were it to go public and be accountable to shareholders

Just bought parts for a 10 year old food processor a week ago. Delivered on Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

Rockstsr

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Ekerot wrote: »
    Nintendo

Tell that to my joycon. :(

But I do agree in general they are top quality. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,747 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

This isn't a big brand or anything, but the absolute best quality item I've bought in years is the Anker Soundcore Bluetooth speaker

The battery life is ridiculous which is what you want for a portable, and the sound is really good.

Also le Creuset cookware. Biggest brand in cast iron but they last multiple lifetimes and look great. Quality cookware is worth the investment and if you're spending a lot you need the best

Speaking of which, I'm on the lookout for quality chefs knives if anyone has any recommendations
    I only use wusthof in work, wouldn't use anything else. The wusthof super slicer is a great knife.
    Victrinox is lousy
    https://www.wuesthof.com/en-us/knife-types/

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

retalivity wrote: »
    Waa just going to post xiaomi. Have a mi8 and it is excellent. Had a m note 3 before that that lasted years. Also have their robo vacuum and some smart lights, excellent products and design

I keep looking at newer phones & end up deciding that mine is still good. Best €200 I ever spent. There other stuff is good, I have a powerbank but some is quite expensive compared to the phones.

Leatherman
    Ecco
    The North Face
    Grey's Rods
    Shimano
    Deerhunter Clothing
    Bovril

Good but Pinewood is better for the same price :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Dylan94

I think Apple MacBooks are worth every penny (the phones not so much), I have one that I bought 11 years ago that is still going strong.

Any LG TV or Sound System that I have ever bought has been amazing and never had a single issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Anker's customer service is supposed to great, they'd probably replace it for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Adyx wrote: »
    Anker's customer service is supposed to great, they'd probably replace it for you.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I bought it off Amazon in July 2018. It seems the window for communication closes after 18 months.

As I said I was very happy with it. It was never dropped or got wet. Just went Kaput overnight.

Thanks. I'll look into that. I bought it off Amazon in July 2018. It seems the window for communication closes after 18 months.

As I said I was very happy with it. It was never dropped or got wet. Just went Kaput overnight.

I bought the Motion + 30w, in the Amazon sale, as a present for someone. Decided to test it before posting. Amazing sound. They love it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Sennheiser

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Apple.

I know there's a iPhone v android debate but as someone who has used both Apple wins every time. Just so much easier to use. Especially for calls etc

cj maxx wrote: »
    I know there's a iPhone v android debate but as someone who has used both Apple wins every time. Just so much easier to use. Especially for calls etc

Software wise there’s some things that both do really well and both do really poorly, but hardware-wise Apple really do make high quality stuff.

Software wise there’s some things that both do really well and both do really poorly, but hardware-wise Apple really do make high quality stuff.

But at a staggeringly high price & vast profit margin. You can buy phones that out perform Apple for 30% of the price.

Discodog wrote: »
    But at a staggeringly high price & vast profit margin. You can buy phones that out perform Apple for 30% of the price.

But then you’ve some crappy chinese software to contend with more often than not (I presume you mean Xiaomi, Oppo, etc). And a poor camera in most cases too (even though they’ll be a million megapixel or something).
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see a massive pile wrong with Android if it’s done right but Pixel, Onelpus, and maybe Samsung aside, nothing comes close to iOS for most things (even if text selection and Siri are absolute dog****). Then there’s tablets and laptops and very few can touch apple in either area for hardware. I won’t even compare Watch OS and Wear OS as it wouldn’t be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

McDonalds.

.. .. ..

I'll get my coat.

jaxxx wrote: »
    McDonalds.

.. .. ..

I'll get my coat.

Absolute models for consistency. There’s a lot to be said for it.

But then you’ve some crappy chinese software to contend with more often than not (I presume you mean Xiaomi, Oppo, etc). And a poor camera in most cases too (even though they’ll be a million megapixel or something).
    Don’t get me wrong, I don’t see a massive pile wrong with Android if it’s done right but Pixel, Onelpus, and maybe Samsung aside, nothing comes close to iOS for most things (even if text selection and Siri are absolute dog****). Then there’s tablets and laptops and very few can touch apple in either area for hardware. I won’t even compare Watch OS and Wear OS as it wouldn’t be fair.

I have owned Apple & now have a Xiaomi. I would never buy Apple again. I also have a Huami (owned by Xiaomi) smartwatch. It cost €80, looks good, works perfectly & I would buy another without question.

There may be users who need something specific that Apple provides but for 99% of phone users there's no need to spend so much - but then again if Apple were cheaper, people wouldn't buy them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,594 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Huawei.

On my second phone also have a Huawei tablet. Great products for a lovely price.

I beg to differ.
    As soon as I leave my WiFi zone the wi-fi switch's off.
    Same with Bluetooth which means every time I leave the house/ turn off the car I need to go settings and switch settings back on. Sometimes they just turn off and the same with alerts , it just mutes its self!
    Same with phone signal,constantly searching and registering with different carriers.
    App store not available in your country etc.
    It's a Y9 so maybe not the best spec but I'm done with Android and Huawei in particular

• Advertisement

Discodog wrote: »
    I have owned Apple & now have a Xiaomi. I would never buy Apple again. I also have a Huami (owned by Xiaomi) smartwatch. It cost €80, looks good, works perfectly & I would buy another without question.

There may be users who need something specific that Apple provides but for 99% of phone users there's no need to spend so much - but then again if Apple were cheaper, people wouldn't buy them :)

Unless it was an Android One phone I wouldn’t entertain a Xiaomi at all, though I would go back to Android some day probably for Assistant. Maybe if they ever put a battery in a Pixel.

Advertisement