Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part III - **Read OP for Mod Warnings**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,779 ✭✭✭Benimar

Not sure how they will do the social distancing on the campsites with the kids club and swimming pool. Most campsites seem to open to residents only on Spain and France

I know it doesnt relate to Spain or France, but we were due to go to Wales this summer (not a hope we are going btw).

We got an email from the campsite on thursday saying they hope to open in early July. However, all the amenities, night life, restaurants and bars will be closed. You can stay in your caravan and order take away food.

Basically, the campsite would only work as a 'base' for people who wanted a change of scenery and went off to beaches and parks all day - and had some way to entertain the kids in the evening!

Open doesn't mean open as we know it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

As one poster said here we need to justify another day of staying in lockdown rather than justify lifting it...

The biggest lockdown enthusiasts are hard left wingers who ****ing love being unemployed. The lockdown was needed to prevent the ICU capacity meltdown we saw in Spain etc. That has been done.

We are now reporting daily cases that are per capita similar or even lower than countries that have moved faster.

For better clarity we should be told exactly how many of the daily 50- 75 cases are in the community and how many are in care homes etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭newuser99999

KiKi III wrote: »
    It’s a lot easier to wear a mask for ten minutes than for eight hours.

There’s no way they could force all staff to wear a mask anyways. It’s personal choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

Yes and what do you reckon would be the output from the modelling systems they are using to calculate our R0 if they put in the data broken down by category instead of lumping all cases into it.

Would very much like to see the results separate to all care home infections. Get a clearer picture for transmission in the general population.

Tony was asked this question and nicely steered around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,210 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

On care homes, brief line from the Irish times, article is behind a paywall but apparently it was mentioned at this mornings HSE briefing

"The number of residential care facilities with Covid-19 outbreaks in the HSE’s highest risk category has fallen to seven, down from 75 a month ago."

• Advertisement

Good news coming out of Spain, also for football fans

"SPAIN TO WELCOME TOURISTS IN JULY

In a televised announcement, Spanish Prime Minister Pedro Sánchez encouraged Spaniards to start planning their summer vacations and said the country will start welcoming foreign tourists in July.

“I’m announcing to you that there will be a tourist season this year and I invite all tourist establishments to start to prepare from today to restart their activity in a few days from now.”

“We will guarantee that tourists will not run any risks and they will not bring us any risks,” he said.

The premier also announced that Spain’s top football league, La Liga, will be able to resume games on June 8

Interestingly from the article that you copied the above from but didn't include the link for some reason, the Spanish government are also introducing a form of UBI that they hope will continue past the covid pandemic as well as a total repeal of a 2012 labor reform that, among other measures, made it cheaper for companies to fire workers.
    If we are to emulate Spain in terms of easing of restrictions should we be also emulating them in the above I wonder or is that a step to far for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,840 ✭✭✭sporina

I have been walking along the river almost every day since the start of the restrictions - been loving it.. could hear the birds etc - twas so peaceful..

but yesterday, while there were not many people out walking, it was v noisy... I could not hear the birds as clearly as before.. and then I realised - its because of all the traffic on the road now... grr...

quiet times are gone...

Strange.. I didn't make the connection before.. the quietness being due to less traffic..

on the up side, I enjoyed meeting mates in the outdoors yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 8,314 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

sporina wrote: »
    I have been walking along the river almost every day since the start of the restrictions - been loving it.. could hear the birds etc - twas so peaceful..

but yesterday, while there were not many people out walking, it was v noisy... I could not hear the birds as clearly as before.. and then I realised - its because of all the traffic on the road now... grr...

quiet times are gone...

Someone, somewhere is thinking something similar after seeing you while out walking, believing its only them entitled to be out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Someone, somewhere is thinking something similar after seeing you while out walking, believing its only them entitled to be out.

I think the poster was just making an observation, not a criticism of the people out and about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

VonLuck wrote: »
    I think the poster was just making an observation, not a criticism of the people out and about.

I thought the “grr” bit was a bit of a critiscm? Maybe i’m wrong......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

In fairness I don’t think this issue has anything to do with being left or right wing, I’d be pretty left leaning in general but I staunchly oppose the drawn out easing of restrictions and have done for some time.

I was actually only thinking last night, on this thread I have been completely agreeing with the posts & opinions of many posters who I usually never ever agree with on any other topic around here at all :pac:
    And I think that in itself shows how big the demographic is of the people this lockdown is effecting, and how the consequences of it are having such a negative effect on such a wide range of the population from all kinds backgrounds and age groups.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

I had my nice cycle today and as per usual i feel quite good after it both mentally and physically. I pity any person who wont leave their house because of the fear being spread by the Government, Gardai and the media. More fool on them i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭Penfailed

SusieBlue wrote: »
    And I think that in itself shows how big the demographic is of the people this lockdown is effecting, and how the consequences of it are having such a negative effect on such a wide range of the population from all kinds backgrounds and age groups.

It's quite literally affecting EVERYONE. That's why the demographic is so big!

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I have asked the question a few times on here in respect to Covid-19 and the supermarket staff who we will recall have been working all the way through this (and in March there were no controls with a few days like Christmas Eve).

Two supermarket chains have indicated that there was not a spike in cases.

This is super positive and supports the view that more outlets can and should be allowed to open up straight away. At least give them the chance to survive.

How many staff were actually tested?..
    No testing = no cases.

There's no reason to assume infection rates are any lower in supermarkets than any other busy workplace with a high footfall.
    Look the meat factories where all staff were tested and infection rates were up to 50% despite no public footfall through the doors.
    Tesco or Aldi would be striving to avoid any mass testing of staff for fear of the headlines it would create.
    Plenty here are happy to swallow the multiples "good news story" though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Penfailed wrote: »
    It's quite literally affecting EVERYONE. That's why the demographic is so big!

I was referring to the point that left leaning people support the continued lockdown, and typically, I agree this would be the case.
    The point I was making is that just as many left wing people oppose the lockdown as those who would be right wing, which shows how big the demographic is.
    It’s not just those who are right wing that are opposing it:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,496 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Would be interesting to see a general opinion poll of the public on their thoughts on the lockdown being lifted early

May not be representative of here given the situation appears much worse in the UK and also I can't find the poll results on any reputable news websites but nonetheless the results of this poll of 2000 Brits found that '17% of people think the conditions have been met to consider reopening schools, against 67% who say they have not been, and that they should stay closed.'

'Just 11% of people think the time is right to consider reopening restaurants, while 78% are against. Only 9% believe it would be correct to consider reopening pubs, while 81% are against; 7% say it would be right to allow mass gatherings at sports events or concerts to resume, with 84% against.'

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/02/fearful-britons-oppose-lifting-lockdown-schools-pubs-restaurants-opinium-poll

Just anecdotal, but from my experience, the majority of the public still do not strongly oppose the lockdown and are more fearful of a sped up lockdown causing a second wave than lifting it quickly for the sake of the economy. I don't think the views on this thread are representative of the public of Ireland in any way really, the views are a lot more extreme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

alta stare wrote: »
    I had my nice cycle today and as per usual i feel quite good after it both mentally and physically. I pity any person who wont leave their house because of the fear being spread by the Government, Gardai and the media. More fool on them i guess.

A bitter post is not a sign of feeling good

Neddyusa wrote: »
    No testing = no cases.

There's no reason to assume infection rates are any lower in supermarkets than any other busy workplace with a high footfall.
    Look the meat factories where all staff were tested and infection rates were up to 50% despite no public footfall through the doors.
    Tesco or Aldi would be striving to avoid any mass testing of staff for fear of the headlines it would create.

very good point

Mic 1972 wrote: »

:D:D:D

Go out and get some sunshine me ol pal for the lack of it is making you post silly things. Take a walk over the 5k....be a rebel. Trust me it will do you wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

He has a point. At some point, you have to look after your own mental health.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement

Go out and get some sunshine me ol pal for the lack of it is making you post silly things. Take a walk over the 5k....be a rebel. Trust me it will do you wonders.

I walk everyday thank you, 2km is good enough for me, no need to run a marathon to feel better about myself ;-)

He has a point. At some point, you have to look after your own mental health.

We have been allowed to leave our houses all the time, even before

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

To be honest, I and most people I know would be absolutely fine with the schedule if they would just Lift the travel limit. I want to do socially distanced visiting with my family but all are too far away and it’s incredibly hard. I couldn’t give a flying f about the pubs or restaurants or any of that stuff

I walk everyday thank you, 2km is good enough for me, no need to run a marathon to feel better about myself ;-)

Good stuff as it is good to keep the mind and body active. You do 2km happy days, i find that isnt enough for me so i go further....so happy days. No harm no foul. I havent killed anyone...yet. Tomorrow i will do 40km and i wont feel one bit guilty about it.

Also, i never said you had to walk a marathon i was merely pointing out that we can go beyond 2km and in doing so we wont kill people despite what those in power tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,243 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

We have been allowed to leave our houses all the time, even before

Your post implied that the poster was bitter for criticising people bing too scared to leave their houses. Perhaps I picked you up wrong, in whcih case, apologies.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Your post implied that the poster was bitter for criticising people bing too scared to leave their houses. Perhaps I picked you up wrong, in whcih case, apologies.

I definitely aint bitter :D i just dont subscribe to this notion put to us by those in power that we are endangering others if we go beyond their rediculous travel limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

He might as well, everyone else is. You'd have to laugh listening to the news now, so many getting back to normal life as there is little or no infection in the Community. Everyone can see this and are acting accordingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 305 ✭✭MrDavid1976

No testing = no cases.

If the virus is as bad as people claim it is then an outbreak in the supermarkets could not have been kept under wraps. Not a chance. Saying otherwise is disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,447 ✭✭✭Ginger n Lemon

No testing = no cases.

Sure who could they test if most people are asymptomatic and dont feel a thing?

more importantly, testing is subjective, out of 20,000+ not a single covid death. That is factual. It doesnt matter if you test 20,000 or test 1 person, not 1 person died, and we can all agree that if Aldi, tesco or lidl staff falling ill with covid and going to ICU etc overwhelming our healthcare were an issue it would've been reported. by RTE. Every 20 minutes. Of every day. + Brazil mass graves, their usual "news update"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

To be honest, I and most people I know would be absolutely fine with the schedule if they would just Lift the travel limit. I want to do socially distanced visiting with my family but all are too far away and it’s incredibly hard. I couldn’t give a flying f about the pubs or restaurants or any of that stuff

Do you not care about the jobs and people’s livelihoods working there?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement