Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apocalypse Bike

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Cos bikes are fast moving, zombies are slow moving. You want to feel a level of threat in a zombie movie, doesn't work if cyclists are breezing through and getting to safety in the first 10 minutes.

Fast-moving zombies in movies demand weaponry, not speed.

i watched 28 days later there yesterday - slow zombies they aint

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭NamelessPhil

Audax bikes are the perfect apocalypse bikes. Dynamo lights and charging capabilities, pannier rack or bike packing kit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I would have loved one of them tbh. I really should have bought one when I had the chance. Off to check for second hand ones now
    Can't find them anywhere, saving upto buy one the next time they appear on CRC. Really great fun to ride as well, I commuted 17km each way on mine without issue. Time difference between that and my fancy race bike was about two minutes, and that could just be because I was enjoying life more on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭De Bhál

my 2012 Focus mares CX bike. Love it. most comfortable bike i have

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

so if you were desiging a bike for the apocalypse; rather than the one you have, what's the one you'd design?

suggestions: steel sounds obvious. much easier to repair.
    maybe a 1x? a single speed is simpler and more robust, but if you want to be carrying your belongings, you might want the extra gearing.

as NP suggested, audax is almost certainly the discipline already closest to the demands of an apocalypse bike.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Hmmm I'd be sticking to a steel fixie.
    In my imagining of an apocalypse, there's no ability to get spare parts, and as I'm not yet middle aged, I might have to have the bike for a long time, so it'll need to function for at least another 50-60 years if I can survive that long without spare parts.
    So i'd be grabbing the fixie and a few cogs and chainrings and chains to use as they wear out, cos I won't be able to get anymore.
    I would have to drill my fixie (imagining I have the time and energy before total societal annihilation) and pop a rack on, then I'm good to go.
    A dynamo is a great idea, I'd have a dynamo front wheel for light.
    I think I'd commandeer a horse at some point, go home and get the retirees we have in action again for carrying stuff if needs be. Maybe a couple of the bullocks too that we don't eat.
    I'm gonna stop before I head into full apocalypse planning!

A cow would be an excellent apocolypse pet, loyal, friendly, predictable. If you can get one who already has a calf so you can keep it in milk it would be fantastic. You could also use it as a distraction in a zombie attack, drain a little blood to feed yourself, and in a dire situation sleep inside of it ala Luke Skywalker in Hoth.

CramCycle wrote: »
    A cow would be an excellent apocolypse pet, loyal, friendly, predictable. If you can get one who already has a calf so you can keep it in milk it would be fantastic. You could also use it as a distraction in a zombie attack, drain a little blood to feed yourself, and in a dire situation sleep inside of it ala Luke Skywalker in Hoth.

Yep.
    And you can also ride it, it can carry things, use it to keep you warm (cuddle up to it at night and during snowy days, share body heat) and if needs be kill it and eat it in the bitter end, but the lack of refrigeration would render most of it rotten by the time you get to eat it so it's best kept alive
    Also you need a companion!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

eeeee wrote: »
    I'm gonna stop before I head into full apocalypse planning!

theres a forum for that :D:D:D:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,775 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Hmmm I'd be sticking to a steel fixie.
    stainless steel would sound like a sensible option too.

• Advertisement

I always wondered why I done a course in college that gave me the ability to manufacture insulin. If the apocalypse comes Ill be manufacturing insulin and bartering with regular diabetics in the vicinity.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

and if needs be kill it and eat it in the bitter end, but the lack of refrigeration would render most of it rotten by the time you get to eat it so it's best kept alive
    Also you need a companion!

You are not ready for what's coming...

Salt and smoke will keep the meat. There will be no waste.

You are not ready for what's coming...

Salt and smoke will keep the meat. There will be no waste.

yeah. I wouldn't be able to carry around that much meat though. Unless I find other post-apocalyptic humans to share with.

I do often wonder if we are currently living in a post apocalyptic situation and we don't know it, and we've fcuked it up already.

Advertisement