Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apocalypse Bike

Options
  • 08-05-2020 6:47pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Which bike in your current stable would be your apocalypse bike?

I'm choosing my former track bike and now super commuter fixie. They're light, fast, minimal things to wear out or go wrong (I think 1 spare chainring and sprocket would do me years!)- no deraulleurs, take brakes off them again and they're cable free.
    And I love it, it's my favourite bike to ride. It's also steel, so tough and robust.

What's yours?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Commuter also.
    CX alu frame with flat bars. 3 x 9 spd and V brakes. So plenty to break but also a very versatile bike, carries panniers, takes biggish tyres, could spin away up into the hills with plenty of baked beans and spare brake blocks in the pannier bags whilst the Apocalypse was heading for the burbs under me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

My Bullit - I already call it my Apocalypse Bike

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

My hacker. A €500 BTwin yoke I bought in decathlon in France 7 years ago. Been commuting on it ever since. Must have a few hundred thousand miles on it at this stage. Just replaced the chain and cassette and new gatrorskins before the corona thingy so she's good to go in getting out of dodge.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Excellent apocalypse machines. I imagine starting some sort of posse with other pedallists post apocalypse, and all the different bikes have different roles in the group.

I think my club group would be disproportionately fixie heavy, but we have Harry and his Bullit as the HGV and essential apocalypse equipment carrying. And battering. Bullit ram!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭cletus

Can we be doing wheelies in the posse?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Surly Cross check, gears, single speed, whatever.

cletus wrote: »

At all times

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,927 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

My croix de fer I suppose now that my Aravis is dismantled.

Wide tyres, nice range of gears, dynamo set up, can take racks, discs, steel and comfy.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

lennymc wrote: »
    Surly Cross check, gears, single speed, whatever.

Have one myself. Set up now with internal hub gears and drum brake. Bar frame and fork almost completely changed from when I got it a few years ago. Current set up could be the apocalypse bike but I have a feeling it will keep changing!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

cletus wrote: »

No. I fitted mud guards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

My 2015 Cube LTD Race 29er. It’s a tough bike and never gives a moments bother, it has a 40/32/20 XT chainset and 11/36 10spd cassette so will literally go up a wall in the lowest gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Pigeon Reaper

Why don't they show bikes in zombie apocalypse films? Silent, fast, no fueling worries, no road blocks you can't get around, easy to conceal, mechanically reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Another Surley Cross Check here, mine is electrified though with a mid drive as my knees are shot:o

Why don't they show bikes in zombie apocalypse films? Silent, fast, no fueling worries, no road blocks you can't get around, easy to conceal, mechanically reliable.

Cos bikes are fast moving, zombies are slow moving. You want to feel a level of threat in a zombie movie, doesn't work if cyclists are breezing through and getting to safety in the first 10 minutes.

Fast-moving zombies in movies demand weaponry, not speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

It would most likely require a hairdryer kit (49cc).

Thankfully it has already been built, 200mpg and usd $2500.
    Still the closest thing to a mountain bike, that won't need a plug socket.

?url=http%3A%2F%2Fnewatlas-brightspot.s3.amazonaws.com%2Farchive%2Fmotoped-pro-cruzer-survival-black-ops-moped-48.jpg

At only 60kg, could lob it over a wall if needed, and the reduced weight (if unloaded) would outpace the standard honda/yam/kawa 50.
    Likely also tax exempt and insured for small coinage.

Motoped: https://newatlas.com/motoped-pro-cruzer-survival-black-ops-moped/34730/

Holy crap, what size are you that you could lob 60kg over a wall?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

My first wee Honda 50 trials bike was 105kg (considered very light for any type motorbike).
    Think the motoped's engine (30kg) can be removed with a few of bolts, can function on pedal power alone (increasing the defualt 200mpg).

Insurance (would've) been cheap for regular road use, but forgot this requires lights, indicators and so on.

Still, would be easier in such conditions to top-up 'juice wise', rather than locate and wait at working plug socket.

For speed freaks, they also do 150cc (hot swapable-ish), which for something than can strip down to 56kg, means it would shift like lightning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

There is a cool book by Joesph Talluto “America The Dead” I think its called where the main character escapes the city on a bike with his kids in a trailer. Highly recommend the book if you like zombies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Pista Fixie, or a ' Dude ' Fatbike.

Nothing less will do.

As apocalypses go, this one is pretty disappointing. So much food on the shelves, remote jobs and Netflix etc. Fixie is just the job for this one. Can locate supermarkets with no queues quite effectively.

Maybe the next one will be a meteor strike and we'll have to roll up the sleeves properly. That will be a job for the Fatbike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,315 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

because once your overwhelmed your done for. which is why you need a hummer preferably us armyspec. to drive through the zombie hoards.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

If we're talking bikes I own, probably my old Kellys Neos hack. Taken apart and put together that may times I know it will keep working or can be made working again. With 2" MTB tyres and 3x9 Deore gears it can get over most terrains and gradient. If it was a new purchase, probably a Thorn Nomad with wide tyres, hub dynamo and racks.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

3UQaYZfl.jpg
    ...26 x 1.75" tyres.
    SON Dynamo & Luxos USB light.

No petrol or electricity in the apocalypse so the electric bike will kill your knees even more without its battery. No one wants to work in oil fields or power or filling stations in this apocalypse :P
    Zombies are optional :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Planet X wrote: »
    3UQaYZfl.jpg
    ...26 x 1.75" tyres.
    SON Dynamo & Luxos USB light.
    no hesitation in picking a name for that bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,884 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Stand by Stephen King is the only post apocalyptic stuff Ive ever come across where a character realises a bicycle is the solution to all his problems and Ive read pretty much most of that genre at this stage. Even then he had to nearly kill himself trying every other form of transport first and using a bicycle is presented as the ultimate outside the box revolutionary idea only to be used in times of apocalypse.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭cletus

I'm in the last stages of (re)building what would probably be my apocalypse bike. Hopefully the zombies don't come until my front derailleur arrives next week

512438.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If it wasn't knicked, my Vitus Vee, tough, durable. Thick tyres to last an age, single speed, comfy. Could knock out a decent speed in a rush.

CramCycle wrote: »
    If it wasn't knicked, my Vitus Vee, tough, durable. Thick tyres to last an age, single speed, comfy. Could knock out a decent speed in a rush.

I would have loved one of them tbh. I really should have bought one when I had the chance. Off to check for second hand ones now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Have one myself. Set up now with internal hub gears and drum brake. Bar frame and fork almost completely changed from when I got it a few years ago. Current set up could be the apocalypse bike but I have a feeling it will keep changing!

That's the beauty of the crosscheck - i had mine as single speed cross bike, geared cross bike, touring bike, commuter. It's been a while since i change it, but i think next might be flat bar gravel bike.

Advertisement