Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cyclist on N4 this evening

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

City living makes your hands soft and the bailing twine cuts you if you've been away from country living too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Just back from my evening spin and I was passed by a JCB....I was sooo tempted to jump in behind it, but Mrs Lapierre was with me!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

CramCycle wrote: »
    City living makes your hands soft and the bailing twine cuts you if you've been away from country living too long.

It's awful! I never used gloves for anything on farm until I was a few years in Dublin. I can't even stack a few bales now without them, or foot turf. Damn callus free hands!
    I even ride bikes with them now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭Large bottle small glass

Much heavier when you're a 10 year old helping out with the haymaking in the 80s. Does anyone else remember the small old rectangular bales?

Must people who knew them well have tried very hard to forget.

My favourite bales story comes from the heavy snow storms in the late 70 or very early 80. The army dropped hay bales to the mountain for sheep farmers.

One rather determined farmer got them home to the shed. That breed of farmer, before the use of quads became the norm and single farm payment were one teak tough crew.

For people who rode the SKT the highest house on route was at about 350m on climb up the Nire. Two brothers in that house were a bit special.

My next door neighbour was the local GP. One day he called to them and noticed one had a healing but nasty cut. It was from a rusty roofing sheet.

The dr enquired where it had been treated. The older brother said he gave him a shot of the needle. After further enquiries a distressed bottled of bovine antibiotics was taken down from shelf, and the dr was informed that he reckoned the patient was the same weight as a 12 month bullock and dosed him accordingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭TGD

.....Does anyone else remember the small old rectangular bales?

I remember when they were introduced - the late 70s-early 80s in my neck of the woods I’d say. They saves a lot of work (pun unintended!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

TGD wrote: »
    I remember when they were introduced - the late 70s-early 80s in my neck of the woods I’d say. They saves a lot of work (pun unintended!)

I can remember turning hay with a fork with my father some time in the 70’s.

Thanks for the memory

• Registered Users Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭jamesd

Keeping the hay bike related here is a photo I took last year from the bike outside of Galway heading towards the ferry.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Cocks of hay! I've made some with my dad. It was all such hard work back in the day. I'm glad I'm here in mechanised times!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

eeeee wrote: »
    Cocks of hay! I've made some with my dad. It was all such hard work back in the day. I'm glad I'm here in mechanised times!
    There's a family near me in Skerries who still do it. They have a small field and a horse or two to feed I think.

Advertisement