Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Dance (Netflix)

Options

Comments

If people are saying Pippen and MJ are dickheads? Good! I love seeing the abrasive side of these athletes. So much better than the over-sanitised people we see today, especially in rugby

• Registered Users Posts: 24,562 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Not sure I'm on board with the bad feeling projected towards pippin here. Breaking it down my interpretation is mj wasnt there he led the team in his absence.. he had learned from mjs mentality and wanted to be the driving force. It's the elite mentality if mj was playing would he have taken the shot? You better believe it so I wouldn't massively hold it against pippin that that's what he was trying to replicate. Granted taking himself out of the game wasnt a good way to react but that comes with the ruthless mentality

I have no issue with Pippen wanting to take the shot or believing he was the best person to be taking the shot.

But sulking because he didn't and abandoning the team was shítty.

But he knows it was wrong and apologised so line drawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Not sure I'm on board with the bad feeling projected towards pippin here. Breaking it down my interpretation is mj wasnt there he led the team in his absence.. he had learned from mjs mentality and wanted to be the driving force. It's the elite mentality if mj was playing would he have taken the shot? You better believe it so I wouldn't massively hold it against pippin that that's what he was trying to replicate. Granted taking himself out of the game wasnt a good way to react but that comes with the ruthless mentality

I found it a bit like the paxson incident and Jordan trying to win it on his own. PJ asks him who's open, Jordan says paxson and PJ say well give him the ball. Next play Jordan lays it outside to paxson and bam, three! He keeps feeding paxson and bulls win the title. Jordan learns to play for and trust the team a bit more . Pippin just threw a hissy fit and didn't trust his coach or his teammates. It reflected badly on him throwing his toys out of the pram again...just like delaying the surgery. Great player but some of his actions were to the detriment of the team and kinda questionable at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

He was being given the responsibilty to inbound the ball as well which meant the whole thing couldn't start without him, refusing to play is a low step but by sticking to your guns and saying that you wouldn't do it differently, meh sorry bruh no luv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

Clareman wrote: »
    He was being given the responsibilty to inbound the ball as well which meant the whole thing couldn't start without him, refusing to play is a low step but by sticking to your guns and saying that you wouldn't do it differently, meh sorry bruh no luv

I got a sort of a predestination/Calvinism feel off Pippen's statement in someways.

‘It’s one of those incidents where I wish it never happened,’ ...... ‘But if I had a chance to do it over again I probably wouldn’t change it.’

That sounds to me more like accepting that he was wrong (and he did apologise for it), while also accepting the resentments he'd built up meant he was always going to react in the way that he did and that he did end up learning something from the experience. Maybe I'm wrong.

I absolutely love the show thus far. MJ, in particular, has always had this reputation for being abrasive and unapproachable.

I don't think he, or most of the players come out of this show that badly. I'm sure it wasn't fun being a team-mate, but I think the show does make it really clear the kind of pressures he was under. He couldn't switch off, on or off the court and some of the scrutiny was despicable stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

It's an absolutely brilliant show and stuff like people's opinion on Pippen, this is a documentry but people can have different opinions, it's brilliant, only problem is that this time next week I'll have it all watched :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭druss

It's an absolutely brilliant show and stuff like people's opinion on Pippen, this is a documentry but people can have different opinions, it's brilliant, only problem is that this time next week I'll have it all watched :(

Yeah. This week I told myself i'd wouldn't watch the latest two episodes back to back. That didn't go to plan.

Been mentioned before but if you love this check out the 30 for 30 stuff, some unbelievable docus on there. Loved the pistons one and the "four falls of buffalo" (NFL, buffalo bills early 90s drama!)

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Been mentioned before but if you love this check out the 30 for 30 stuff, some unbelievable docus on there. Loved the pistons one and the "four falls of buffalo" (NFL, buffalo bills early 90s drama!)

Is the only place you can see them legally ESPN+?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭The real mccoy 91

As far as I know yes I searched for a long time. 11.99 a month is a bit steep but you do get a 7 day trial and the quality of programme on it is top notch

• Advertisement

As far as I know yes I searched for a long time. 11.99 a month is a bit steep but you do get a 7 day trial and the quality of programme on it is top notch

Had hoped it might be in the dark recesses of Disney Plus but no.

There are 'other places'.... (Not legally of course..or so I've heard..cough cough)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,732 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

This having to wait until next Monday is a pain in the face. Fantastic documentary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

This having to wait until next Monday is a pain in the face. Fantastic documentary.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'm actually glad its weekly, I'd nearly go as far as to say I'd perfer to have 1 a week rather than 2, having it over next week seems like ti's just started

I'm actually glad its weekly, I'd nearly go as far as to say I'd perfer to have 1 a week rather than 2, having it over next week seems like ti's just started

Yeah I hear ya. Is it really that long since we had to wait a week to see the next episode of something we liked?

I held off until 6 episodes were available before I started watching them....and the 7 and 8 were released the day I finished 6 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

You know you can watch it any pace you like !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Really enjoying the documentary. Plenty chats with friends about his personality and how he pushed people to achieve more.

My view is, if you have a personality like his at the office, in everyday life, you're probably a dick but he was driving people on at an elite level in sports. If you didn't want to be part of it, move to another franchise. Plenty people made big money off Jordan pushing limits and driving to succeed.

Really enjoying the documentary. Plenty chats with friends about his personality and how he pushed people to achieve more.

My view is, if you have a personality like his at the office, in everyday life, you're probably a dick but he was driving people on at an elite level in sports. If you didn't want to be part of it, move to another franchise. Plenty people made big money off Jordan pushing limits and driving to succeed.

Yes very much the Roy Keane of Basketball.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

It's finny that the actual people he was a dick to actually acknowledge that it was necessary to bring out the best in them. Jordan was unique that he understood how to get the best out of people but also how to get the best out of himself. There was no one motivating him in the same way. And that was probably a contributing factor to his retirements. If Jordan had a Jordan pushing him he'd never have retired in 94 or possibly 98 and his legacy might have been even more astonishing

• Advertisement

Hyzepher wrote: »
    There was no one motivating him in the same way. And that was probably a contributing factor to his retirements. If Jordan had a Jordan pushing him he'd never have retired in 94 or possibly 98 and his legacy might have been even more astonishing

That is hard to know. The first retirement is more complicated. The impact of his father's death can't be underestimated.

Having to deal with so much off the court had to have added to the pressure he put on himself and won him down. There's only so much you can take before it exhausts you mentally and physically.

The first retirement helped that drive that brought him back in 1995. He started the training camp for the 1995/96 season champing at the bit and in shape to actually start the season. Hence the 72 wins in the regular season.

Second time around, Jackson was leaving and he'd said he wouldn't play for another coach. He was 35 as well. I think he still would have retired even if he'd had a clone of himself staying on.

You know you can watch it any pace you like !

I know I know but I just can't help myself :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Very strong argument the second three-peat doesn't happen without the break Jordan took, needed to recharge the batteries physically and emotionally

In my opinion the emotional/mental pressure that he was putting on himself just couldn't continue so he had to have a break, no-one asked him to lead the team, do the endorsments, do the etc. etc. etc., he put it all on himself, that's a terrible burden that he needed to take a break from, he also seemed to always have the need to have an enemy to get himself going, that can't continue for too long until you are your own enemy.

Some of his scores were mesmerising. He seemed to hang there long enough to play what amounted to the basketball version of a three-car trick before making the ball disappear and then reappear dropping into the basket.

Downright obscene at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

I thought it was very interesting that the baseball coach was saying that if he’d stuck at it he would have been a major league player. He’s be first in and last out. Practice, practice, practice. Unbelievable mental toughness.

I thought it was very interesting that the baseball coach was saying that if he’d stuck at it he would have been a major league player. He’s be first in and last out. Practice, practice, practice. Unbelievable mental toughness.

The work done during the off-season when he was filming Space Jam. Not a hope of waiting until pre-season camp to get into peak condition....arrived into camp fully fit and you see what happens in 95-96 then.

Speaking of which, the calibre of player coming to train with Jordan!

Stuff like training with college players when injured, Olympic training, Space Jam training, the guy really put in the work to make himself the best but I never got the impression that he "loved" the game at any stage, it always seems to have been the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Hyzepher wrote: »
    . Jordan was unique that he understood how to get the best out of people but also how to get the best out of himself.

I think he knew how to get the best out of himself , and assumed that was the best way to get the best out of others , but in many cases it was not , but his own talent made up for that.

• Advertisement

I think he knew how to get the best out of himself , and assumed that was the best way to get the best out of others , but in many cases it was not , but his own talent made up for that.

I think he's the kind of player that is so driven that he can't see any way but his way, if people aren't giving 100% all the time he sees them as a failure and has no problem calling them out on it, players like that rarely make it in management but usually drive their team on as a leader.

Advertisement