Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farage highlighting illegal migration chaos

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

The most influential man in the UK politically given what he's achieved in recent years - you think saying his name is some sort of insult solely because you disagree politically...

Sad.

What way do you want me to refer to him if not by name?

Most influential UK man politically? Couldn't get elected to Westminster 7 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

69% of Brits say that it’s acceptable for the Home Office to use the RAF to assist in preventing migrants attempting to cross the Channel. 71% say it’s acceptable to use the Royal Navy.

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1294178743314001920?s=19

I'm not sure the Geneva Convention on asylum will last that long. Especially if global warming does what is predicted.

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

The claims that a 16 year old had died in English waters are false. The Sudanese man was actually 28. Sad story but the media went along with the false claims.

https://www.facebook.com/133737666673845/posts/3295250483855865/?extid=cw9gGNt5ogvUzfO0&d=n

• Registered Users Posts: 21,525 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Bet Farage is concerned to see his buddy arrested and charged in the US.

Another man who recognized that exploiting immigrants can be a lucrative opportunity.

Bet Farage is concerned to see his buddy arrested and charged in the US.

Another man who recognized that exploiting immigrants can be a lucrative opportunity.

I doubt Farage has any concerns. He had no involvement in that fundraiser. I also fail to see how protecting a nation is deemed a “lucrative opportunity”.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

Stopping theses mad dashes across the channel has the potenial to save many immigrants lives. Farage is potenially saving lives.

Also the French way of life is healthier than the English so settling down in france and by claiming assylum there may be good for your health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Not sure if this is the correct thread, but the news today that the previous record (6th Aug 2020) was shattered (nearly doubled) as 409 migrants cross the Eng Channel in a single day.

The crossings come as prime minister Boris Johnson said that the UK is a “target and magnet” for people traffickers and vowed to change the law to help tackle the crisis.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/channel-crossing-migrants-england-immigration-a9702101.html

The funny thing is that the uk have been arguing about the removal the lyrics to one of their flag waving songs, something about 'britania rules the waves'.
    Perhaps it was just the flat seas, or warmer weather, or France pushing out folks from Calais, neverless 409 on one day, is a significant number.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,992 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

After Brexit completes it will be interesting how the UK will handle the situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,586 ✭✭✭4068ac1elhodqr

Both Boris and Patel have been banging on about some 'change the law'.
    Guess that means returning all/any to France, and chasing down the traffickers.

September is perhaps the warmest for sea temperatures, and brexit day is just 4mth away which may account for the surge(s).
    x409 in a variety of craft or methods to take to the sea is significant to comprehend.
    But even this is widely considered small fry figures, to the amount via haulage or other port transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Almost 1,500 migrants crossed the Channel in small dinghies to reach Britain last month, a record since the route became popular last year.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/1-500-migrants-cross-channel-in-a-month-jr0tlpzh0

• Advertisement

52 migrants crossed the channel yesterday alone. Farages recent video touched on School bus routes changing due to young female students being harassed by illegal migrants from the nearby hotels.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DelaneyIn

Eleven Syrian asylum seekers who were removed from the UK on a charter flight to Spain nine days ago and who were abandoned in the streets of Madrid have all returned to Calais, hoping to reach the UK once again, the Guardian has learned.

One of the men who returned to Calais on Friday evening, said: “We were left in the street after the Home Office deported us last Thursday. It was impossible to survive like this.”

Another member of the group, who fled the same area of Syria, said the 11 asylum seekers wanted to remain together: “After I fled the war in Syria I had a very difficult journey. It took me two years to reach the UK but the Home Office finished everything for me in just one hour. I will keep trying to reach safety. My wife and children are still in danger in Syria. I want them to have a future.”

He said the 11 had travelled in small groups across the border from Spain to France and used buses to get back to Calais. ”We are back in ‘the Jungle’. This is our life now. We are just waiting to cross to the UK again where some of us have close family members. There are so many smugglers in Calais now. The system is against us.”
    “We were left in the street after the Home Office deported us last Thursday. It was impossible to survive like this.”

So we decided to instead survive on the streets of Calais, which is apparently possible, instead of applying for asylum in Spain.
    “After I fled the war in Syria I had a very difficult journey. It took me two years to reach the UK but the Home Office finished everything for me in just one hour. I will keep trying to reach safety. My wife and children are still in danger in Syria. I want them to have a future.”

You want them to have a future, so you left them behind in Syria. And instead of applying in one of the dozen other countries you passed through and go for reunfication with them as soon as possible, you just have to go to the UK, because there is no future in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, etc etc for some reason?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/12/syrian-asylum-seekers-return-to-calais-nine-days-after-uk-flew-them-to-spain

This is the sort of nonsense Farage wants to nip in the bud and he’s chastised for it. Refugees aim to flee a particular country, not travel through many safe countries to illegally enter a particular country. That’s an illegal economic migrant and they need to be deported from Europe. Not passed from member state to member state as none have the balls to actually take a stand and deport illegals.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,272 ✭✭✭fash

DelaneyIn wrote: »
    So we decided to instead survive on the streets of Calais, which is apparently possible, instead of applying for asylum in Spain.

You want them to have a future, so you left them behind in Syria. And instead of applying in one of the dozen other countries you passed through and go for reunfication with them as soon as possible, you just have to go to the UK, because there is no future in Italy, Spain, France, Germany, Austria, Croatia, etc etc for some reason?

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/sep/12/syrian-asylum-seekers-return-to-calais-nine-days-after-uk-flew-them-to-spain

This is the sort of nonsense Farage wants to nip in the bud and he’s chastised for it. Refugees aim to flee a particular country, not travel through many safe countries to illegally enter a particular country. That’s an illegal economic migrant and they need to be deported from Europe. Not passed from member state to member state as none have the balls to actually take a stand and deport illegals.
    Don't worry. After Brexit, the UK will be outside of the Dublin Regulation so we can use it as a penal colony for illegal immigrants - similar to the way Australia uses Papua New Guinea.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,458 ✭✭✭rgossip30

DelaneyIn wrote: »

They have relatives in the UK its the most likely reason .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

rgossip30 wrote: »
    They have relatives in the UK its the most likely reason .

So between visiting Uncle Jamal in the UK and getting their own immediate family from a warzone, they go with option 1 as a priority?

Is that not a bit fishy?

• Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭creeper1

Nigel most recent video details how “Britain has lost control of its borders”. It is a recent phenomenon and I guess it was a long time coming in that continental Europe lost control of its borders long ago. The British managed to keep some semblance of order until recently.

That order is disappearing fast as there is very little practical options for deporting people. Deportation remains very low.

https://youtu.be/wTXM4yf4MWo

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Its incredibly sad that even moderate conservatives are so far ingrained in the ‘quiet lest yee be called racist’ brigade that we need nigel f*cking farage to expose the rampant importation of illegal economic migrants facilitated by the french and uk governmemts

• Registered Users Posts: 19,265 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

splashuum wrote: »
    The men on the dinghy identified him as the trafficker and is apparently known within the trafficking circles. Do you believe he should now be let roam free in the UK?

If a human tracker was on a boat then surely he'd have to be going back to get more loads? Or do they all just do one load and go across with the boats?

Genuine question.....or do they do a few loads to make money and then don one final load and get off with the "passengers"?

Its incredibly sad that even moderate conservatives are so far ingrained in the ‘quiet lest yee be called racist’ brigade that we need nigel f*cking farage to expose the rampant importation of illegal economic migrants facilitated by the french and uk governmemts

One would have to imagine that, going forward, if the UK want France to implement restrictions on people leaving for the UK then they will need to be coughing up the money to do so.

And surely the French would be under no obligation to accept any non-French citizens that the UK tries to deport to there?

UK can't be unilaterally telling France what to do. Sovereignty and all that craic works both ways.

creeper1 wrote: »
    Nigel most recent video details how “Britain has lost control of its borders”. It is a recent phenomenon and I guess it was a long time coming in that continental Europe lost control of its borders long ago. The British managed to keep some semblance of order until recently.

That order is disappearing fast as there is very little practical options for deporting people. Deportation remains very low.

https://youtu.be/wTXM4yf4MWo

I saw some clips of him recently. One thing that I had found surprising was that he said that 80% of the people who landed would not qualify for asylum.

That would mean that 20% would. Which I had the impression (maybe incorrectly) is a far higher amount than the people who chance their arm in Ireland. I presume the UK is just attracting the majority of the "genuine" cases?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/10/uk-to-deny-asylum-to-refugees-passing-through-safe-third-country

UK to deny asylum to people coming via safe countries. The Guardian puts the word safe in quotes because presumably they don't think France is safe while simultaneously wanting to remain in a union with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/dec/10/uk-to-deny-asylum-to-refugees-passing-through-safe-third-country

UK to deny asylum to people coming via safe countries. The Guardian puts the word safe in quotes because presumably they don't think France is safe while simultaneously wanting to remain in a union with it.
    Ireland should follow suit, as it makes sense.
    Unfortunately the NGOs and others in the lucrative asylum industry in Ireland will never allow it to happen.
    It is appalling that we have economic migrants flying into Dublin from the likes of London, Paris, Berlin etc. and then requesting asylum in this country. If they arrive in this manner (versus selected from refugee camps), then there is a very high probability that they are just asylum shoppers/scammers. And once they get here, there is very little chance (if any) of them ever getting deported from Ireland. They just have to stick around until the next amnesty comes along.

It's also worth mentioning that you can apply for asylum at any embassy. You dont actually have to spend thousands on airfares and/or people smugglers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It's also worth mentioning that you can apply for asylum at any embassy. You dont actually have to spend thousands on airfares and/or people smugglers.

Yes, but why would they and risk refusal in their home countries? All they have to do is just arrive on Irish soil, and bingo, they've won the asylum lottery. Very little chance of deportation and if the Greens get their way, they will have their own housing within 3 months of flying into Dublin. It is actually very enticing for non-EU migrants who want a new life in a supposedly first world country. And if the asylum seeker does not want to work, then the Irish worker will support him and his extended family, who arrive under reunification, for the rest of their lives.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Yes, but why would they and risk refusal in their home countries? All they have to do is just arrive on Irish soil, and bingo, they've won the asylum lottery. Very little chance of deportation and if the Greens get their way, they will have their own housing within 3 months of flying into Dublin. It is actually very enticing for non-EU migrants who want a new life in a supposedly first world country. And if you do not want to work, then the Irish worker will support you and your extended family, who arrive under reunification, for the rest of their lives.

Well quite but it's just further proof, as if any were needed, of the highly suspect nature of many of these asylum claims.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Ireland should follow suit, as it makes sense.
    Unfortunately the NGOs and others in the lucrative asylum industry in Ireland will never allow it to happen.
    It is appalling that we have economic migrants flying into Dublin from the likes of London, Paris, Berlin etc. and then requesting asylum in this country. If they arrive in this manner (versus selected from refugee camps), then there is a very high probability that they are just asylum shoppers/scammers. And once they get here, there is very little chance (if any) of them ever getting deported from Ireland. They just have to stick around until the next amnesty comes along.

Well there is also a tiny grey area of people in there. You can have people from certain countries, who are not oppressed relative to others in their home countries but who just don't want to return, and for legitimate reasons. So not a full-blown "if I return I'll get shot" kind of scenario but more of a "I kinda need a separate entry lane into getting a visa because I can't really go home and try to come back later".

You also have the logistical issue of "proving" where a person travelled from. Which is why, for years, you had plenty of stories of people landing at the airport and burning their paperwork before presenting themselves.

Well there is also a tiny grey area of people in there. You can have people from certain countries, who are not oppressed relative to others in their home countries but who just don't want to return, and for legitimate reasons. So not a full-blown "if I return I'll get shot" kind of scenario but more of a "I kinda need a separate entry lane into getting a visa because I can't really go home and try to come back later".

You also have the logistical issue of "proving" where a person travelled from. Which is why, for years, you had plenty of stories of people landing at the airport and burning their paperwork before presenting themselves.

Stupidly easily solved here though, airport - send them back on a plane to wherever that plane came from , ferry port - send them back to where the ferry came from, landing on the coast - back to the uk it is.

We should do an aid agreement with some really poor african country, we give them money and in exchange anyone who lands here with ‘no documents’ or way of proving where they came from just gets shipped there instead, i reckon youd have about 1 plane load before the ‘undocumented’ stopped arriving altogether

Stupidly easily solved here though, airport - send them back on a plane to wherever that plane came from , ferry port - send them back to where the ferry came from, landing on the coast - back to the uk it is.

We should do an aid agreement with some really poor african country, we give them money and in exchange anyone who lands here with ‘no documents’ or way of proving where they came from just gets shipped there instead, i reckon youd have about 1 plane load before the ‘undocumented’ stopped arriving altogether

The issue is that if someone presents themself at the airport, there will obviously be confusion as to when they landed and where there came from.

France would be under no more obligation to accept a <insert nationality here> that Ireland thinks arrived in Dublin from France than Ireland would be to accept a <insert nationality here> that arrived in Paris and said they came on a plane from Dublin. If they were, then it would be a handy way of getting into the country (i.e. present yourself at a port in France, say you are claiming asylum there and that you stowed away on a ferry from Rosslare and have the French authorities send you to Dublin and immigration here having to receive them!)

The issue is that if someone presents themself at the airport, there will obviously be confusion as to when they landed and where there came from.

France would be under no more obligation to accept a <insert nationality here> that Ireland thinks arrived in Dublin from France than Ireland would be to accept a <insert nationality here> that arrived in Paris and said they came on a plane from Dublin. If they were, then it would be a handy way of getting into the country (i.e. present yourself at a port in France, say you are claiming asylum there and that you stowed away on a ferry from Rosslare and have the French authorities send you to Dublin and immigration here having to receive them!)

I think you underestimate facial recognition systems that many airports use these days, somebody presenting at an immigration desk is pretty easy to trace their route back all the way to them entering the terminal.

And as I said its why we need to add another location. Australia uses an island to house waiting asylum seekers, we could partner with a nation in which the welfare of a human being maybe isnt as legislated for and deport them there so we no longer have to pay for house and feed them.

And before anyone starts im not talking about dropping these people in a desert and starving them to death, just some country with no social welfare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭FGR

Aren't we supposed to have a database of who is flying where with whichever Airline in the EU ? The fact of the matter is the undocumented boarded a plane from a safe country with said documentation. Do we need to go down the road of taking fingerprints from passengers before they board a plane to ensure that we can prevent fraudulent claims when they land on the other side?

Advertisement