Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

General advice, Hybrid buyer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Ahh I am old now. Gone is the days of going from one showroom, well you couldn't really call them showrooms, to another doing a deal

Now I like to walk in, have a lovely receptionist bring me a cool drink and then the salesman do his thing in a ncie suit :P:P:P:P:P:P

That's exactly how the Celtic tiger trained the silly Billy's,
    Come in sir,sit on this luxurious leather jobbie,taste the divine coffee,smell the newness of the motor,
    PS you're obviously paying for all this sir, but it's nice is in not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That's exactly how the Celtic tiger trained the silly Billy's,
    Come in sir,sit on this luxurious leather jobbie,taste the divine coffee,smell the newness of the motor,
    PS you're obviously paying for all this sir, but it's nice is in not?

Oh I know I pay for it.....

I am not saying a bad thing about the man in a caravan....I got some cracking cars over the years. But I do like the luxuries in life now

zg3409 wrote: »
    What distance is daily commute?

Hybrids are generally only efficient for slow city rush hour driving. Personally if I were you I would get a non hybrid Yaris. You can weld brackets over the catalytic converter either DIY or buy premade modules.

A prius isn't a bad car, but the old yaris are bullet proof. Get an 05 one for 800 euro and move on, or buy one for 300 euro and swap over the exhaust.

It balances out, what hybrids loose at higher speed they gain at slower speeds and in town.

For Petrol Automatics, they are pretty good on Petrol. My 2007 MK II Prius used to get around 840 Kms on around 40 Litres of Petrol. Decent size car, automatic and above all, not a rattle box diesel.

I agree the MK I prius will go forever, amazing cars but noisy as hell on the motorway.

At least the Prius has a lot more power than a yaris they are dead dangerous pulling out at junctions onto main roads same as any low HP car.

Good but not frugal,I'd look at a Honda fit hybrid to get space , reliability and small but huge inside

I drove a honda fit when my Mother was looking for a new car, absolute rubbish.

Avoid like the plague.

The Toyota's are far better built but I would look for something a bit better than yaris, Prius, good size, good economy and decent power.

Honda fit Hybrid had no power. It rattled and squeaked, I drove a few and the quality is shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Maybe off topic and a bit rambling...but its Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFJUxeGFAE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭KCross

beauf wrote: »
    Maybe off topic and a bit rambling...but its Harry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVFJUxeGFAE

Not a bad discussion but he has made the classic mistake of comparing the gCO2 of a power station and what comes out the back of an ICE car.... as if the petrol/diesel arrived in the fuel tank at 0gCO2.

Its a pointless comparison. You have to include all the CO2 from exploration, drilling, refining etc and add that in and on the EV side add in the battery manufacturing etc.

Basically, well-wheel analysis not pump-wheel. That analysis has been done and posted on the forum many times at this stage.

And its not all about CO2 either. Its about local emissions too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I should have clarified, he's been testing EVs and hybrids for a while. The hybrids suited him best. Local trips mostly but a couple of long journeys usually at the weekend. So a hybrid with a large enough battery for local trips. Thought that was interesting. Then the musing on different types of of vehicles. The rest of it is a bit meh.

Whelo79 wrote: »
    He's actually just around the corner from me and I have seen a couple of cars there of interest too. Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Just to let you guys know we have gone for a 141 Prius, 5dr, 1.8l, 92,000km for 12k. Happy enough with that, and so is the wife and that's what really matters haha!

Thanks again for all the input.

Just to let you guys know we have gone for a 141 Prius, 5dr, 1.8l, 92,000km for 12k. Happy enough with that, and so is the wife and that's what really matters haha!

Best of luck with it.

It's a decent car and should get 4.0L 100 km out of it handy enough especially in the warmer weather when the engine doesn't have to come on in colder weather to heat the cabin.

Your Wife won't ever want a car with gears and clutch again. :D

Driving hybrid takes a little learning to get the best out of it.

Enjoy.

• Advertisement

Keep on top of the CVT/gearbox oil whatever the Prius uses

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭adunis

Don't do it,just buy another I.CE.
    Hybrids worst of both worlds,should all be burned etc etc,my views of them haven't changed......

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Keep on top of the CVT/gearbox oil whatever the Prius uses

Toyota say it doesn't need to be changed ever, but many owners change every 100k miles or so. Toyota Genuine ATF WS is what to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,552 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

adunis wrote: »
    Hybrids worst of both worlds,should all be burned etc etc,my views of them haven't changed......
    Agree 100%

adunis wrote: »
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Agree 100%

Lads, the budget is limited in this case other than that I would recommend a fully electric car but at this price you'd only get a Nissan Leaf with degraded battery and very limited range ans slow charging at a fast charger.

The difference between ICE/Hybrid to EV is night and day.

The Hybrid is likely the better option in this case and a much better option, in my opinion than a manual gearbox , noisy diesel with a poor torque band.

I drove the MK II Prius for around 170,000 kms and it was a great car, decent size, automatic petrol with good economy.

What hybrids loose on the motorway they gain on slower roads and town driving.

Toyota say it doesn't need to be changed ever, but many owners change every 100k miles or so. Toyota Genuine ATF WS is what to use.

Yep, I had my gearbox oil changed around 100,000 kms, based on independent oil analysis done by members on the U.S prius forum. Glad I did too.

Has anyone really heard of oil in an engine or gearbox that never needs to be changed ?

Remember, the electric motors live in this oil too and it's a good idea to change the oil. It doesn't cost a lot but it's not a DIY job. Nor is the Coolant.

Lads, the budget is limited in this case other than that I would recommend a fully electric car but at this price you'd only get a Nissan Leaf with degraded battery and very limited range ans slow charging at a fast charger.

The difference between ICE/Hybrid to EV is night and day.

The Hybrid is likely the better option in this case and a much better option, in my opinion than a manual gearbox , noisy diesel with a poor torque band.

I drove the MK II Prius for around 170,000 kms and it was a great car, decent size, automatic petrol with good economy.

What hybrids loose on the motorway they gain on slower roads and town driving.
    We have a mark 2 prius, herself has it as our second car for about 3 years now. Great car but the CVT is very noisy and it doesnt get great MPG (45 in normal driving, equates to about 42mpgE if on diesel, using cost equivalence).

A diesel with stop start will do better.
    But to be honest for such small mileage I'd be in a lazy v8 lexus or e38 bmw that will outlive us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

We have a mark 2 prius, herself has it as our second car for about 3 years now. Great car but the CVT is very noisy and it doesnt get great MPG (45 in normal driving, equates to about 42mpgE if on diesel, using cost equivalence).

But to be honest for such small mileage I'd be in a lazy v8 lexus or e38 bmw that will outlive us all.

Do you know why the Prius is doing so badly compared to other peoples mpg?

I know of someone who was saying they could drive it like they stole it and get 55mpg, 65 otherwise.

Has anyone really heard of oil in an engine or gearbox that never needs to be changed ?
    I'm sure there are many manual gearboxes out there that have never seen an oil change, and these have many more moving parts than what's in a Prius transaxle. There's nothing equivalent to the friction of a torque converter slipping, belts in traditional CVTs, or inevitable wear and tear of selecting manual gears.

Sure oil analyses have been done, they show it's contaminated, but what we don't know is what that really means for the durability of the components.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I know of someone who was saying they could drive it like they stole it and get 55mpg, 65 otherwise.

Because he's talking about a Prius that was a new model in 2003. Your figures would be more inline with what you can get with the 3rd generation Prius ('09-'15). Very much depends on driving conditions and driving technique too.

• Advertisement

As zilog says below, it;'s an 08 mk2 prius
    The newest hybrids get 60+ mpg, the older ones were crap on cold days, motorway driving, dual carriageway etc.

Because he's talking about a Prius that was a new model in 2003. Your figures would be more inline with what you can get with the 3rd generation Prius ('09-'15). Very much depends on driving conditions and driving technique too.
    Exactly

• Registered Users Posts: 64,977 ✭✭✭✭unkel

for such small mileage I'd be in a lazy v8 lexus or e38 bmw that will outlive us all.

Outlive us all? Nearly all V8 Lexus or E38 in this country have already been scrapped or will be scrapped within the next 5 years. Sad, but true. While nearly all EVs in this country will still be on the road then.

Sure oil analyses have been done, they show it's contaminated, but what we don't know is what that really means for the durability of the components.

Except in the Prius transaxle contamination poses a risk to the motor windings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

OP here again. Is there any threads on the forum about catalytic converters, and in particular relating to thefts from gen 3 Prius and methods of securing them?

Toyota Ireland doesn't seem to give a **** as they don't stock the catlock which you can get from Toyota UK distributors.

We are getting a good alarm installed and a tilt sensor for starters anyway.

Not a hope, now are you talking imperial or U.S mpg ?

I averaged around 4.4 L/100 km warmer weather to around 4.6 winter in the MK II Prius even at 200,000 Km when I traded it in for the 2015 Leaf.

CVT is noisy alright when you put the boot down but the 3rd + generations are much better.

Even if the Prius got worse MPG than a diesel, say if I averaged 5.5 L/100 km in the Prius and got 4 in the diesel, there's no way I would drive a manual diesel again, they're dreadful yokes to drive especially in traffic.

Not a hope, now are you talking imperial or U.S mpg ?

I averaged around 4.4 L/100 km warmer weather to around 4.6 winter in the MK II Prius even at 200,000 Km when I traded it in for the 2015 Leaf.

CVT is noisy alright when you put the boot down but the 3rd + generations are much better.

Even if the Prius got worse MPG than a diesel, say if I averaged 5.5 L/100 km in the Prius and got 4 in the diesel, there's no way I would drive a manual diesel again, they're dreadful yokes to drive especially in traffic.
    imperial mpg (~4.5l)

Our commute is 10km 80kmh roads and then 50km motorway and 5 km industrial estate. The motorway at 120 kills the mpg and I'm not willing to compromise on speed. Same reason I sold my leaf and ioniq, they didnt have enough range in the real world.

You can say "no way" all you want, but it's "way" for me over the last couple of years.

imperial mpg (~4.5l)

Our commute is 10km 80kmh roads and then 50km motorway and 5 km industrial estate. The motorway at 120 kills the mpg and I'm not willing to compromise on speed. Same reason I sold my leaf and ioniq, they didnt have enough range in the real world.

You can say "no way" all you want, but it's "way" for me over the last couple of years.

NO Way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 73,393 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

As zilog says below, it;'s an 08 mk2 prius
    The newest hybrids get 60+ mpg, the older ones were crap on cold days, motorway driving, dual carriageway etc.

Exactly

This was a mk2 Prius they were talking about.

OP here again. Is there any threads on the forum about catalytic converters, and in particular relating to thefts from gen 3 Prius and methods of securing them?

Toyota Ireland doesn't seem to give a **** as they don't stock the catlock which you can get from Toyota UK distributors.

We are getting a good alarm installed and a tilt sensor for starters anyway.

There have been a few threads on the main Motors forum, like this one: https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2058024963

Lots of talk about it on the UK Toyota Owners Club forums too: https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/forum/52-prius-club/

Yes, I've asked Toyota Ireland about it too and they don't seem to care. Personally I got a dual dashcam (front and rear cameras) with hardwire kit so it stays running while parked (I have a 2012 Prius Plug-in).
    This was a mk2 Prius they were talking about.

https://www.spritmonitor.de/en/overview/49-Toyota/439-Prius.html?constyear_s=2003&constyear_e=2008&page=9&powerunit=2
    Average here is 5.22 or 54 MPG - and you could argue people using a site like that are paying closer attention to how they drive, some probably doing hypermiling and stuff. I'd say those getting worse are doing regular motorway driving.

Don't know about the Gen 2 specifically, but in a (more efficient) Gen 3 you'd get low 50's MPG if you stick to 120 km/h with cruise control.

Also: The youngest Gen 2's are coming up to 11 years old now, and traction battery condition will affect fuel consumption. Dodgy 12V batteries can have an impact too.

• Advertisement

Agree 100%

Love mine TBH

Advertisement