Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

General advice, Hybrid buyer

Options
  • 05-05-2020 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Currently in the market for a new car as the wife's 00 Toyota Yaris that she loved (which ran like new and never gave us a day of bother) had the catalytic converter stolen off it on Friday. The repairs will cost more than the car is worth so it's prompting her to finally go for an upgrade.

Neither of us have shopped for a hybrid before so I am just looking out for some recommendations, things to look for, things to avoid. We would be looking at picking up something second hand (aprx 12-15k) and can't go full electric as we are in an apartment and wouldn't have charge facilities.

Any help/advice is appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Keith186

Gen 3 Prius 2011 or later is generally recommended for >€10k budget. Some 2010’s supposedly can have expensive electrical problems.

However you may have the same problem with the catalytic converter, I know Gen 2 ones are easy to take (2 minute job) so research if Gen 3 is any more secure.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,090 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Would take a look at the Yaris hybrid since she likes the Yaris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Any reason not to look at full electric now?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Any reason not to look at full electric now?

They are in an apartment and the public system is not fit for purpose.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are in an apartment and the public system is not fit for purpose.

Really need to wake up in morning:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

If she previously had a Yaris then a hybrid Yaris is probably the best buy, like this one. Plenty of them on the market in your price range and they're very economical, maybe 55mpg average.

If she wants something larger a Prius would be nice, the MK3 has a catalytic converter that's harder to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,602 ✭✭✭zg3409

What distance is daily commute?

Hybrids are generally only efficient for slow city rush hour driving. Personally if I were you I would get a non hybrid Yaris. You can weld brackets over the catalytic converter either DIY or buy premade modules.

A prius isn't a bad car, but the old yaris are bullet proof. Get an 05 one for 800 euro and move on, or buy one for 300 euro and swap over the exhaust.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭Whelo79

Thanks for the advice guys, much appreciated. Some good suggestions here so far.

Journey times would be relatively short, living in Dublin and travelling to city centre. Monthly trips across the M50 to visit parents and the odd road trip for a weekend away. The old Yaris was doing about 10,000km a year.

How does something like this rate? She likes the look of this.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Prius-1.5-HYBRID---PRIUS-AQUA-COMPACT--/202004078881811

Why not Lexus CT200h?

Nice car and way better interior, hybrid and lovely to drive

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why not Lexus CT200h?

Nice car and way better interior, hybrid and lovely to drive

That could be an option too, thanks for that. Is it known for being a reliable model!

Whelo79 wrote: »
    That could be an option too, thanks for that. Is it known for being a reliable model!

Its a Toyota. But with Lexus interior. Its the exact same hybrid engine as in the Toyota, the engine is a little bit more refined but the interior is a serious step up to standard Toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

How does something like this rate? She likes the look of this.

https://m.carzone.ie/used-cars/Toyota/Prius-1.5-HYBRID---PRIUS-AQUA-COMPACT--/202004078881811
    The aqua isn't near as frugal as you'd think

Good but not frugal,I'd look at a Honda fit hybrid to get space , reliability and small but huge inside

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Honda Insight or Fit. Cant really fault them.Would fall nicely into your budget.

The aqua isn't near as frugal as you'd think

Frugal in what way? More expensive to run? Less reliable?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,595 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Not as fuel effiecient for a hybrid as you would think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Miscreant

It uses the older 1.5 litre engine which was less fuel efficient than the later 1.8. Reliability is still good though.

You could take a look at an Auris Hybrid either. Plenty of those around at your budget. Same platform as the CT200h but more space in the rear, I find the CT to be quite cramped in the back although I agree with others that the interior is nicer.
    I've owned an Auris hybrid for 6 years now and it has never needed anything other than servicing in that time.

Miscreant wrote: »
    It uses the older 1.5 litre engine which was less fuel efficient than the later 1.8. Reliability is still good though.

You could take a look at an Auris Hybrid either. Plenty of those around at your budget. Same platform as the CT200h but more space in the rear, I find the CT to be quite cramped in the back although I agree with others that the interior is nicer.
    I've owned an Auris hybrid for 6 years now and it has never needed anything other than servicing in that time.

The OP didn't mention kids or boot space so thats why I thought of the Lexus.

But you are 100% correct, it is limited in space in back/boot. I didnt notice the back mind you myself but the boot was not massive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If its the same HSD 1.5 engine/powertrain that's in the mark2 prius then I agree it's not nearly as good as the 1.8 that succeeded it. We have a mark 2 prius and it's difficult to beat 45mpg in real world driving (i can get 65+ with hypermiling)

• Advertisement

zg3409 wrote: »

Hybrids are generally only efficient for slow city rush hour driving. Personally if I were you I would get a non hybrid Yaris. You can weld brackets over the catalytic converter either DIY or buy premade modules.

A prius isn't a bad car, but the old yaris are bullet proof. Get an 05 one for 800 euro and move on, or buy one for 300 euro and swap over the exhaust.

I drive easy ( 2 nd hybrid) and you change your driving habits once you go hybrid,my Honda insight never leaves me down,
    on a Honda forum ( insight central )
    Lots of them reach up to 300,000 mile's no problems,just maintenance,one has a recorded 408,000 miles plus
    Second generation 2009 on

Honda Insight Forum 2nd-Gen Discussion
    Checking in with fellow Insight owners
    Jump to Latest
    Follow
    1 - 7 of 7 Posts

rogerp
    rogerp
    ·
    Registered
    Joined Dec 12, 2010 · 17 Posts
    Discussion Starter • #1 • 10 d ago
    Well, here we are. It's been a while, ok several years, since I've checked in here but my 2010 Honda Insight has now topped 408,000 miles. I'm no longer driving the distance I used to but the car still manages to run great and get me to work daily. Ok, almost great, the other day it jus

zg3409 wrote: »

I drive easy ( 2 nd hybrid) and you change your driving habits once you go hybrid,my Honda insight never leaves me down,
    Lots of them reach up to 300,000 mike's no problems,just maintenance,one has a recorded 408,000 miles plus

Lots of them reach up to 300,000 mile's no problems,just maintenance,one has a recorded 408,000 miles plus

I love the Insight...but Im biased and work for Honda :)

Ive gotten over 60 mpg out of it on one drive...now I think I held up the whole village but it was scary how frugal it is.
    Its my wifes car and she had a Kia Sportage Diesel 2008 before the Insight and she was lucky to get 30mpg out of it.She was putting 160.00 + of diesel a month into it. Now with the Insight she can get away with 50 euros a month on average if shes just travelling into work and home.

Tax is only €170 a year,her insurance went down by around 90.00 euros.

Saving of almost 2k a year just on running costs.

Hellrazer wrote: »
    I love the Insight...but Im biased and work for Honda :)

Ive gotten over 60 mpg out of it on one drive...now I think I held up the whole village but it was scary how frugal it is.
    Its my wifes car and she had a Kia Sportage Diesel 2008 before the Insight and she was lucky to get 30mpg out of it.She was putting 160.00 + of diesel a month into it. Now with the Insight she can get away with 50 euros a month on average if shes just travelling into work and home.

Tax is only €170 a year,her insurance went down by around 90.00 euros.

Saving of almost 2k a year just on running costs.

My es insight makes the 60 mpg,but my older 2010 made up to 67 no sweat,
    My current insight has all the options etc heated seats etc ,so it's less frugal ( heavier) but an Uber reliable comfortable car
    I'm going for another next car,or a Prius

Thanks all, some really helpful info here. Going to arrange to go up to airside motors and check out some of these models.

Thanks all, some really helpful info here. Going to arrange to go up to airside motors and check out some of these models.

Declan Gill motors santry has shed loads and he's a v decent guy , travelled up from Cork to deal with him

• Registered Users Posts: 21,556 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I bought 2 cars there ( a fiesta and an mg zr) over the years, cheap cars if you know what you're looking at you'll get a bargain. Just don't expect a flashy showroom and coffee on arrival!

ELM327 wrote: »
    I bought 2 cars there ( a fiesta and an mg zr) over the years, cheap cars if you know what you're looking at you'll get a bargain. Just don't expect a flashy showroom and coffee on arrival!

Straight ppl,99 percent of his stock now are all jap import hybrids,low mileage,good warranty

He's actually just around the corner from me and I have seen a couple of cars there of interest too. Thanks for the recommendation.

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »

Ahh I am old now. Gone is the days of going from one showroom, well you couldn't really call them showrooms, to another doing a deal

Now I like to walk in, have a lovely receptionist bring me a cool drink and then the salesman do his thing in a ncie suit :P:P:P:P:P:P

Advertisement